• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mass Madness 4: Framingham, Sept 8th: Please Bring TVs/Cubes/Smash So We Can Do Pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
TVs: (6 of 16)
- RedSoxFan
- Banks/Thorn (2)
- Elen
- Ken Y
- JHolla/Pat

Cubes/Wiis: (6 of 16)
- RedSoxFan
- omG A coW
- Banks/Thorn
- Elen
- Ken Y
- JHolla/Pat

Copies of SSBM: (6 of 16)
- RedSoxFan
- omG A coW
- Banks/Thorn
- Elen
- Ken Y
- JHolla/Pat

Extension Cords: (1 of 4)
- Banks

Power Strips: (2 of 7)
- RedSoxFan
- Elen

VCRs/Other Recording Equipment: (optional)
- RedSoxFan (laptop)
- Banks (VCR)

Tapes: (need blank tapes)
- Elen

People Taking Commuter Rail: (1 total)
- Parlnock

Commuter Rail:

Train Schedule

Anyone who is planning to take the commuter rail from Boston into Framingham, I will offer a ride from the 11:35 train to Game Universe. And I will be willing to give a ride to a train that leaves after Singles has finished. If multiple people want are taking the commuter rail, I don't want to make multiple trips, so you'll need to work together on a single time frame.

Anyone who is planning to take the commuter rail from Worcester into Framingham, I will offer a ride from Worcester if there is room in my car, so don't take the commuter rail from Worcester. Just get a ride with me. Send me a PM and we can discuss the ride situation.

Help Running the Tournament:

I need 2 people to help me run the tournament this time around. The last one was so massive and I had trouble getting to the venue. For this reason I would like 1 or 2 people willing to assist me. Anyone who wishes to help, please send me a PM or talk to me on AIM.

Game Universe
1251 Worcester Rd
Framingham, MA 01701
(508) 370-4263

Date/Time:

Saturday, September 8th

11:00 - Store Opens

12:45 - Doubles and Singles Registration Begins

1:10 - Last Call for Doubles Registration

1:15 - Doubles Begins

2:50 - Last Call for Singles Registration
Note: We'll need 30 minutes to seed the pools properly.

3:15 - Singles Pools Begins
Note: Pools will begin while doubles is finishing up.

5:00-5:30ish - Meal Break
Note: Meal break will take place whenever pools finishes.

Entry Fee:

Singles - 10 per entrant
Doubles - 10 per team / 5 per person

All prizes will be paid in cash. And the store will take a 20% cut.

Singles Prize Pools

1st - 50
2nd - 25
3rd - 15
4th - 10

Doubles Prize Pool

1st - 55
2nd - 30
3rd - 15

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
Rules:

- Each TV will well labelled and rules will be on display around each setup in case there is any confusion amongst the rules or manner in which the tournament is to be run.

- All tournaments are double-elimination, which means that after you lose your first match, you enter into a losers bracket, and play against other people who have lost. If you've lost in the losers bracket, however, you're out of the tournament. The winner of the losers bracket plays against the winner of the winners bracket in the finals. The losers bracket finalist needs to win two sets, however, as the winners bracket finalist has yet to lose a set.

- Matches are best out of 3 with advanced slob picks and dave's stupid rule (which are explained below). ALL finals games (This includes losers bracket finals, winners bracket finals, and overall finals) are best of 5.

Advanced Slob Picks:

The first game in a set is double-blind, and the stage is random (using the random stages listed in the stage selection section).

The following applies to any game in a set played after the first:
The loser of the previous game declares the stage to be used, using any stage that isn't banned. The winner of the previous game then chooses his character. Lastly, the loser of the previous game chooses his character, and the game can start.

Dave's Stupid Rule:

No stage can be played more than once per match unless agreed upon by both players.

- All games are played with 4 stock, 8 minutes, and no items. Any tie that occurs is settled by comparing stocks remaining (More stocks = win). If there is a tie remaining after comparing stock, compare damage % (Less damage % = win). If a tie remains after comparing stocks and damage %, play out sudden death.

Restart Rule:

When a random stage is chosen for the first match of a set, you may immediately pause and restart the match as long as you attempt to do so immediately at the start of the match. (Just hold shield and hit start at the beginning of the match if you wish to avoid getting hit)

- Also before any stage is selected both players may agree to play on a specific stage or to not play on one of the random stages. (If both players don't like Battlefield, then you can agree that Battlefield will not be played if it comes up as the random stage)

Banning Stages:

At the beginning of the set, each player may ban one stage from being played.
Singles Random List: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland 64, Fountain of Dreams, and Pokemon Stadium

Stage Selection:

Teams Random List: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland 64 and Pokemon Stadium.

Stages that are only banned in Singles:: Great Bay (Termina), Mushroom Kingdom II

Stages that are only banned in Teams Only: Fountain of Dreams, Mute City

Stages banned for Singles and Teams: Yoshi’s Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach’s Castle, Onett, and Kongo Jungle (DK Rap)

Pause Rule:

Pause may only be used to restart the match. Any other pause without permission from the other player or from a side judge is not allowed.

First offense is a one stock penalty. (This is not the current stock, but your final stock)

Second offense is loss of match.

Third offense is loss of set.

Fourth offense is removal from tourament.

Pausing when attempting to steal a stock in teams will be given a warning.

Depending on the circumstances of the match, the consequences may not follow the above protocol for any offense.

Additional Rules:

- For teams play, team attack is on, and stealing stock is allowed.

- Players may have a coach that can give advice to a player for one minute in-between games. As soon as the stage is declared, the coach may not be consulted until after the game finishes.

- Glitches that freeze a character, freeze the game, or simply make the game unfinishable are banned and using them will result in losing the entire set. For example, the Ice Climbers Freeze Glitch.

- Wallbombing and Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery. Wobbles Infinite is allowed. Stalling a game with any of these tactics will result in a loss of the entire set.

- Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament.

- Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer. Failure to comply can also result in disqualification.

- Money Matches and friendlies: Keep in mind tournament games take priority over you. Try to get them out of the way during warmup time. Once the tournament has progressed specific setups will be open for friendlies only.

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
woot ... o have tourny every weekend for the next month

lots of practice to be made lol

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
wait every weekend for the next month?

I only know of tournaments on the 18th and 25th of August...

Which ones am I missing?

tmanneopets

Smash Cadet
Uhh, IF I can, then definetely. Not sure if I'm allowed though, as school will be starting and my parents would probably not let me go. Hopefully the next one though.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
In order to answer recent questions about the day of the tournament, I'll just copy paste part of my first post, since you guys are too lazy to look at a Calendar. I will also change the thread title to include the word Saturday so there is no confusion.

Date/Time:

Saturday, September 8th

11:00 - Store Opens

12:50 - Doubles and Singles Registration Begins

1:10 - Last Call for Doubles Registration

1:20 - Doubles Begins

3:00 - Last Call for Singles Registration
Note: We'll need 30 minutes to seed the pools properly.

3:30 - Singles Pools Begins
Note: Pools will begin while doubles is finishing up.

5:00-5:30ish - Meal Break
Note: Meal break will take place whenever pools finishes.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
Uhh, IF I can, then definetely. Not sure if I'm allowed though, as school will be starting and my parents would probably not let me go. Hopefully the next one though.
Just tell your parents that it will be a Saturday and that since school doesn't take place on that day, there is no reason you shouldn't be allowed a social life on the weekends.

Make sure you word it that way. Having a social life sounds better to parents then going out and having fun. You could also point out that you aren't drinking or getting high.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I'd be glad to help, just not sure if I'll have a ride.

EDIT: I'd like to at least pitch in some help in seeding. Two brothers (Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii) were in my pool at MM3, and the RPI players from NH were told to "deal with" the seeding...that's....I'll help, yeah.

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
I'd be glad to help, just not sure if I'll have a ride.

EDIT: I'd like to at least pitch in some help in seeding. Two brothers (Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii) were in my pool at MM3, and the RPI players from NH were told to "deal with" the seeding...that's....I'll help, yeah.
I think that everyone that made it out of pools should have and 99% of those that didnt shouldnt have. Nothing is perfect but I think the pools were screwed around with a little.

The problem with the pool system is that they were too small and not enough good people were in a pool. When you only have 2 good people in every pool tio just assigns a 1 and a 2 rating to the people that come out. The problem that this causes is it doesnt really give an idea of seperation between the 1 seeds between themselves and the 2 seeds between themselves. Thats why you have to have at least three good people in every pool by having less pools that are bigger. The way we had it people like me kinda got screwed in having to play CWJAlex and Darc back to back whereas others had much easier matches even though they had less pool wins than I did. With at least three people coming out the 2 seed usually plays the 3 seed and then the winner plays the one seed or some variation of that which is actually a better system. Its actually kinda long and boring to explain. But anyways my recommendation for next time is to have say pools of 8 instead of 5 or 6 and then the brackets will be more accurate.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
I think that everyone that made it out of pools should have and 99% of those that didnt shouldnt have. Nothing is perfect but I think the pools were screwed around with a little.

The problem with the pool system is that they were too small and not enough good people were in a pool. When you only have 2 good people in every pool tio just assigns a 1 and a 2 rating to the people that come out. The problem that this causes is it doesnt really give an idea of seperation between the 1 seeds between themselves and the 2 seeds between themselves. Thats why you have to have at least three good people in every pool by having less pools that are bigger. The way we had it people like me kinda got screwed in having to play CWJAlex and Darc back to back whereas others had much easier matches even though they had less pool wins than I did. With at least three people coming out the 2 seed usually plays the 3 seed and then the winner plays the one seed or some variation of that which is actually a better system. Its actually kinda long and boring to explain. But anyways my recommendation for next time is to have say pools of 8 instead of 5 or 6 and then the brackets will be more accurate.
I would have loved to have smaller pools, however it is impossible to seed a bracket fairly with anything other than 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 people etc...

If I have say 12 pools pick 3, I have 36 people... How the hell do I seed that? Basically 4 people are gonna get screwed and have to play an extra game.

Say instead I take 10 pools and pick 3. Now the winners of 2 pools are gonna get a bye. But the other winners don't. Again not very fair.

At this past tournament it wouldn't have been possible to do 8 pools with 79 people. We'd be talking 10 person pools instead of 5 person pools.

Let me give you an example of what would have happened...

In 5 person pools you have a total of 10 games to play.

In 10 person pools you have a total of 45 games to play. Granted we would have had 2 TVs for each pool, so it would have felt like 23 games to play, but still that is over twice the time pools took us. And pools though it went pretty quickly, we wouldn't have started the bracket until around 8 since I was running late.

This next time I'll be able to fit in doubles and do 8 pools of 8,9,10 people if needed. However if we break 80 people I won't be able to do that for everyone. 11 person pools would take too long and I'd have to go back to 16 pools.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
wow confuzing. having all 1st seeds get a bye would be ideal but yeah it doesn't seem that possible?

I'd just like to say that I knew it was on a Saturday. I was just pointing out to the dumb people that it was on a Saturday. jk I <3 you all.

I'd also like to say that Dazwa would be too good at helping seed and stuff.

Edit: I'd also also like to point out that this is 4 days after my birthday. Hopefully I won't be having a party that day. I'm an old man.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
Actually at the last tournament Elen and Pat/Pro made a list of all the players who might show up and gave everyone an approxomate ranking. But it only gave me the first 25 players or so... After that I wasn't able to rank everyone in order.

The tournament software does let you rank people into groups of expert, average, and beginner. And so for the rest of everyone else I did that as best I could. However after this tournament I can look at pools results and if everyone enters as the same name again I can do a better job ranking everyone into groups like that.

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
You did a great job redsox dont worry about it. Im just saying now that we have done it once we can always try to make it better for next time. Bigger pools just add accuracy to the seeding of the bracket and give people more of a chance to make it into brackets as well. But if you think it takes too much time thats ok. Im sure everything will be figured out by the next tourney it is after all a month away :). If you need help doing things for next time so we can have more time to setup and stuff I can always come earlier and help with setup/picking people up.

Elen

Smash Lord
Can't wait. And of course I'll be willing to help run the tournament ^.^ Yeah, we sort of accidentally overlooked the Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii brothers, as we were really only interested in the top 2 in each pool. All in all, I think it turned out really well anyways as far as seeding goes. Just needs a little fine tuning. Should we start talking about setups yet?

Banks

Smash Hero
I'll go and bring a setup. pwnage

and i want to re-win vs elendil and nuro because I don't feel I won by a great enough margin lolololol =p

Elen

Smash Lord
I'm setup number 4. Sounds good banks, lets do this ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom