• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WWYP5] - A misunderstood Outcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
This is my first WWYP entry. I have almost no clue if I'm doing this right or wrong, so forgive me.

A Misunderstood Outcast

The rain beat heavily down on the triangular roof of his house. The tip of his pencil was becomming dull, his wrist was sore and red, and his eyes were tearing. It was getting late, but he didn't care. He had to finish his drawing, he just had to.

He had seen much more than a normal 10- year old. Death, for one thing. Ever since that one, terrible night, Jack hardly talked. He never smiled anymore either. He simply couldn't enjoy the pleasures of life.

His father, was asleep on the couch in the living room, an empty bottle of beer on the floor.His father wasn't who he used to be either. He once went to jail, and got drunk most nights. Jack still loved him though, after all, he was family.

Jack loved drawing until midnight. He loved rain too. It took his mind off the thing that haunted him most.

Suddenly, what sounded like footsteps approaching his front door broke the bueatifull silence. His father just snored, yet jack paid careful attention, even getting up from his chair.He could have sworn he heard the doornob being turned...

"Who are you" he screamed angrily. "Go away" he yelled, this time sounding paniced. His dad woke frightfully.

"What happened, is someone breaking in", he yelped. They both stared at the front door, yet nobody entered.

"I thought that, but..." he stopped. He burst into tears.

"It won't happen again", said his father comfortingly.

Jack went to bed feeling scared, nervous, and sort of angry. He woke up the next day and kicked his dresser. "It's people like that that ruin this world!" His father was asleep still, and it was saturday. Half the time he didn't know what he was saying, but this time, he was absolutely right. Jacked was grinding his teeth as he thought: "Robbers. Criminals. They'll rot in hell. I would still have my mother; my life; if it wern't for those people.

On monday he went to school. He had noone to talk to, nor any freinds. He liked anything odd or different. He was bored of the same things, day after day. He watched kids talk, and laugh. The cool and popular kids wore abercrombie and Holister. All they talked about was sports and clothes. They always think that they're better than the other "nerds". Jack could look ahead though. It was the "nerds" that would get good jobs, make more money, and have a bigger house. As for those who think good grades are "un-cool" would end up working for Mcdonalds, wearing the stupid uniforms with the stripes. No more abercrombie.

The last bell rang as children sprinted to the busses. Unlike the others, jack was in no rush. As he approached the busses, he saw a group of kids gathered on the grass. He trotted over to see what was happening. He saw on the grass a rather deformed beetle. It looked as if it had another beetle protruding from its side. Some kids groaned at this freak of nature. Jack admired this thing. It had no nice colors, nothing nice at all... exept that it was different. Suddenly, one boy, about his age swatted it with a stick and laughed. Jack wasn't laughing. The creature squirmed around on the ground until the boy came forward and sqwashed it with his shoe. On the front of his shirt read the word "Abercrombie".

"Why can't the world exept anything different!"Jack yelled as if he didn't care what anyone thought. Many people were now glaring at him. Suddenly Jacks emotions drove him at that one boy. That one person who annoyed him the most. "What was that for!" He yelled at the scared boy. He rammed him in the stomach, causing them both to topple over.

The boy jumped back up, but Jack had dissapeared onto his bus, which was already pulling away.

He opened his back door angrily and slammed it behind him.

"Son, take a look at this" his father said from the kitchen. The headline of the newspaper read: Mechanicle Freak- Bankrobber? Jack snatched the paper from his dad's hands and took it into his bedroom.

Supposedly, a strange man with... robotic arms was found running out of a bank- he had nothing in his hands and was not caught; yet when police searched the bank, most of the money was completely gone. More importantly, noone knows wether or not this man is dangerous, or how he had obtained mechanicle arms. The special forces are searching day and night for him, but be on alert and if you see anything, contact police imeddietly.

"Dad that's... unbeleivable".

"I think it's all a haox, they're just trying to make money".

Jack entered school the next day to find the floor scattered with sections of newspaper.

Students ran about franicly. His first period teacher tried to calm them down but was un-succesful. He simply told them not to worry. The only kid that Jack didn't see buzzing about the strange "mechanicle man" was the boy that he had pushed over yesterday. Strange, he thought.

Jack tried walking through the hall, but clumps of kids (and teachers) kept getting in the way. On the way to his second period class, something struck him. He didn't know how he hadn't realized before- something different had finaly happened. Something had changed the boring, ordinary cycle of life. It was like a ripple in still water. And although Jack would never show it, for the first time since his mothers tragic murder, he had felt...happy. It was an odd thing to be happy about, but he was happy none the less.

The television flashed on. Breaking News on channel 5: Strange find about the Mechanicle Man! Jacks eyes widened and his jaw droped. "After searching the bank that he supposedly had broken into, police found all the money piled into the waiting room.Police detectives also found two masked men on the floor behind the bank's counter. They were un-concious and badly bruised. One was declared dead, the other put in a coma. Police beleive that this had something to do with the mechanicle man. We'll keep you updated. Back to you ted"

"Dad, now they're telling us that the mechanicle guy is a killer."

"He's a hoax, don't get caught up in it Jack" said his father bluntly.

"He's real" Jack replied.

"Heeeeghhhh" his father sighed.

That night was one Jack hated. He kept thinking that he heard robbers breaking in. Every time that hapenned, Jack would jump out of bed, then run to the livingroom only to find that there was nobody there. However hard he tried to convince himself that noone would break in, it still kept him up. He would lay in bed with his eyes pried open and his forehead drenched in sweat.. He found himself staring at the front door. His father... and mother, stood behind him motionlessly. They stared blankly at him, saying nothing. Suddenly a hand shaped imprent dented the door with a tremendous bang. Jack turned around and sprinted through his parents who remained motionless.

He heard the door unhinge and slam to the floor behind him. His hip banged into the kitchen table yet he continued, limping slightly. He lunged for the back door, yet it stubbornly remained shut. In a paniced despair, he twisted to look behind himself. To his horrific amazement, he found two brown eyes staring into his. The tall yet thin mans face was bruised, and his skin was completely white, not pale, white. But Jack paid little attentioned to his face, his eyes were fixed upon the man's arms. The mans mechanicle arms. The man slowly lifted his arm and innicently and very softly said "hello".

There was a white flash as Jack suddenly found himself blocking his eyes from the bright morning sun. He was breathing heavily, his heart was in his throat gagging him. He stared at the ceiling and said to himself "he's real."

"Dad, dad, he's real he's real! He's gonna come to to our house!"

"You were dreaming, go back to bed" his father replied, half asleep.

"It's a school day".

"Then go to school" his father said impatantly.

"Fine" Jack yelled.

Clop, clop, clop went his old worn shoes as he trotted to the buss stop. The metal steps rumbled as Jack walked up them. He took an emty seat to find it's leather skin ripped and vandelised. He looked out the window, which was blocked by an ugly, red emergency exit sign. An old and hardened peice of gum stuck to the bottom of the window, as well as caked on dirt.

When Jack steped off, he noticed that many kids and teachers were stoped at the door. Turns out the school needed security gaurds, because the mechanicle man was believed to be in the school's area. All that jack noticed was that they were armed with pistols, stun-guns, and... shotguns. "Why can't the world exept anything different" he mumbled under his breath.

After about a minuite of walking through the hall jack had noticed that people were acting strangly; Stundents were breathing heavily and teachers were up-tight and cranky. Jack saw a group of boys walk by him and glance cautiosly at the door as they passed it, as did about every other human being. Some students even ran to class.
"Um... students, today we will be learning about..." the math teaching glanced at the locked door. "Division, today we will be learning about division", He said quickly.

" Hey, could you drop me off at my house, up the street" a young girl asked the bus driver, nervously.

"Yes" he replied, just as nervous.

"Father", Jack said as he walked through the open doorway. "Everyone was all freaked out at school today. I know they think the mechanicle man is around here, but is that all?"

Jacks father handed him a newspaper. It featured a picture of the man, the one from Jacks dream. In the picture, he was running and had a scared face.

"Jack, we have to boared up the house".

" Dad, I thought you didn't beleive the mechanicle man."

" You've heard what's happened to one family, and we can't take any chances."

" What are boards going to do?"

His father pause. "Well then we'll go and try to find some locks in the basement."

"Just because they found a door broken off and three people dead inside, that doesn't mean it was the mechanicle man!"

"I'm locking them and that's final! You're always the one who worries about this stuff. Now why is it that when something that actually matters comes along, you could care less?"

"Something that matters? You mean it doesn't matter that someone broke into our home one night and killed my mother? That doesn't matter at all? You thought this man was a hoax anyway!" Jack stomped down the hall as if smoke would blow out his ears.

"Jack wait", his father said careingly.

"Just go away!" Jack yelled.

That night, Jack had the same dream where the front door was smashed down and the mechanicle man was there. The sheets were flung suddenly off the bed as Jack sprinted to the front door, awakened by an odd clanking sound. "Clink, clink, clink", went the noise against the outside of the door. There was a huge lock holding the door firmly shut.

The tapping became faster as Jack heard large guns being pumped in the distance. Jack looked out the window and confirmed his predictions. A pale faced man was franticly struggling to get open the door. Not to steal, not to kill,.. to hide.

Jacks heart was in his throat as he hoplessly struggled with the huge lock. It needed a key. "No" he yelled in his head. Sweat poured down his forehead. He ran to the window once more to see the mechanicle man. He wasn't breaking the door from its hinges, he was begging to get in. Jakc kicked the lock in a hopeless effort to let him in.

"Bang, bang, bang!" roared the guns. A splatter of blood hit the windows, followed by the sound of a body faling to the ground. Tears dripped to the floor as Jack put his back against the door. He sank to the floor, covering his face, as he said softly...

"Why can't the world exept anything different?"

The End

Matt

Banned via Administration
Also, please be sure to space your paragraphs.

Like this.

EDIT: Also, abundantly angst-ridden, thinly-veiled personal stories will be docked half points out of sheer bias.

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
Also, please be sure to space your paragraphs.

Like this.

EDIT: Also, abundantly angst-ridden, thinly-veiled personal stories will be docked half points out of sheer bias.
1. When I edit to add more, it appears that the paragraphs are spaced, but when I actually post it, the paragraphs aren't spaced. :confused:

2. (Quote) abundantly angst ridden thinly veiled personal stories will be docked half points (un quote).? What does that mean?

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
2. (Quote) abundantly angst ridden thinly veiled personal stories will be docked half points (un quote).? What does that mean?
i don't know what he meant by that either, but i assume he's not talking specifically about your story since "judges absolutely cannot read or discuss any contest topic (whether amongst themselves or with contestants) until August 12th!"

he's probably just drawing conclusions from your story's title, and assuming that your story will be about yourself or someone you know. someone who is a "Misunderstood Outcast".
...or something like that.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
The first two paragraphs so strongly defied the classic writer's mantra, "show, don't tell," I couldn't really bother to read the rest. I don't think that mantra is always entirely accurate, but it could definitely use a little applying here.

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
The first two paragraphs so strongly defied the classic writer's mantra, "show, don't tell," I couldn't really bother to read the rest. I don't think that mantra is always entirely accurate, but it could definitely use a little applying here.
OK guys, now you're all making me feel stupid. I love writing, yet I havn't a clue what you just said. Please explain though, I love any comments to tell how I'm doing...

It really helps to know wheather I'm writing a peice that is any good or something completely out of whack. Thanks.

PS. The story that I wrote isn't intended to be my life. My mother is alive, I don't stay up all night in fear of a break-in and I am a very happy person. The one thing that I can relate to is the stuff about abercrombie and popular kids. <<<<<<It is true.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
well... "show, don't tell" is basically saying
"If you tell me, it's an essay. If you show me, it's a story." - Barbara Greene

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was mostly speaking of the second paragraph.

"Art was Jack's only asset, and he took pride in it. He had seen much more than a normal 10- year old. Death, for one thing. The death of his own mother. Ever since that one, terrible night, Jack hardly talked. He never smiled anymore either. He simply couldn't enjoy the pleasures of life."

Don't tell us that art was Jack's only asset. Simply show us by his actions. Don't tell us about how he's seen so much compared to most ten year olds - simply show it through his character as you reveal bits and pieces about his past. You don't need to tell people he hardly talked and never smile. We'll notice that he hardly talks and doesn't smile after awhile. If he can't enjoy the pleasures of life anymore, than we'll pick up on it. You don't need to tell us.

Get it? It's not that your story is atrocious, and I'm not trying to be rude. I just feel it's much, much too "telly."

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
So it sucks? Did you even read the rest of it? For I'll have you know, the rest of it is so in-comprehensively vivid, and so appaulingly amazing, that if you read it, you die. Just kidding.

Really, It's kind-of the style that I'm using. Another reason is that there are only two characters that have dialogue, and so I don't really show ANYONE talking that much.

Seriously, read the rest and tell me about what you think.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
So it sucks? Did you even read the rest of it? For I'll have you know, the rest of it is so in-comprehensively vivid, and so appaulingly amazing, that if you read it, you die. Just kidding.

Really, It's kind-of the style that I'm using. Another reason is that there are only two characters that have dialogue, and so I don't really show ANYONE talking that much.

Seriously, read the rest and tell me about what you think.
I didn't say it sucks. I said that, instead of telling the reader about the characters, simply show the reader the characters, and by their actions, the reader will draw conclusions about the characters through how they act. It makes a much more natural, organic reading experience, as opposed to an essay-like lecture about fictional characters.

I'm not insulting you nor your story. I'm just trying to give suggestions. Maybe I'll read the rest of the story later tonight.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
I didn't say it sucks. I said that, instead of telling the reader about the characters, simply show the reader the characters, and by their actions, the reader will draw conclusions about the characters through how they act. It makes a much more natural, organic reading experience, as opposed to an essay-like lecture about fictional characters.

I'm not insulting you nor your story. I'm just trying to give suggestions. Maybe I'll read the rest of the story later tonight.
I agree.

Telling would be "Joe is a great artist." Showing would be "The trash can overflowed with paint tubes. Dead brushes lay scattered like bullets." (Just in case you were confused Lombardi:)).

It's always better to show than tell. Anyone can say "Joe is a great artist", but it takes a true writer using their imagination and style to show us that "Joe is a great artist".

I haven't read this yet, but I promise to soon:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom