• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RST Issue 4: Controller Tricks

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Random Smash Tidbits
Volume 1 - Issue 4

For this issue of RST I’ll touch on different methods of using your controller and control stick that aren’t well known. These simple tricks make life easier in many instances and don’t take long at all to pick up.

Previous Issues
-RST: Issue 1
-RST: Issue 2
-RST: Issue 3

Tidbit #1: Ledge Hop Double Laser
Why is this a RST: I’ve been working on my Falco’s technical game for over a year now but being able to shoot two lasers on the same (low) height had always escaped by grasp, that way until about 3 months ago when someone told me an easier way to do it.

What it is: I usually would press either away or down followed by Y and then B twice to ledge hop double laser. The problem was no matter how fast I went from Y to B I always had one laser go to high to hit anyone. The solution? Press down on the control stick, quickly followed by up, and hit B the moment after you press up. Try it, it’s easy as pie.

Uses: Two lasers when coming up from the ledge is always better than one, especially when they both occur on the same height.

Tidbit #2: Fox’s Short Hop Double Laser
Why is this a RST: I could never ever seem to be able to double laser with Fox until about a year ago when 1337 explained to me an easier way to do it, since then I’ve never had any trouble.

What it is: At first I would always try short hopping with Y followed by quickly pressing B twice. This sometimes worked, but was madly difficult and highly inconsistent. To fix this problem, instead of short hopping with the Y/X button, instead do it with the control stick, you can then calmly hit B twice just after you short hop.

Uses: It’s two lasers in one short hop instead of one! That doubles your damage output.

Tidbit #3: Falco and Fox's Shine Bair
Why is this a RST: I could never, ever seem to figure out how Fox and Falco players managed to move their fingers fast enough to immediately do Bair’s out of their shines. That was until DaShizWiz at Melee-FC Diamond explained to me this simple little trick to make it easier.

What it is: I would usually shine like normal for Falco, then quickly try pressing Y then back on the C-stick. Boy did I feel stupid when I found out the easier method to performing this someone clutch technique. Instead of jumping with Y/X, jump with the control stick out of the shine. Then you have a choice, you can either quickly roll the control stick back and press A, or, you can use the C-stick and press back, whichever works best for you.

Uses: Are you kidding me? Falco’s Bair out of the shine is amazingly sexy every time I see it. It works great against characters once they get in the mid percentage range and they attempt to avoid Falco’s shine combo’s by DI’ing behind him. If they try to DI behind you simply hit them with a Bair, its so easy.

Tidbit #4: Fox’s Running Up-Smash
Why is this a RST: There are two ways to do it, you’ve probably heard of the first, I doubt most have heard of the second.

What it is: I spent an entire game watching Mew2King’s fingers trying to figure why he sometimes switches a “claw” position. While I haven’t fully figured out the mystery, I did uncover one method he uses to make his life easier. The first method, the one that most people use, for performing any running Up-Smash, is just a simple quarter turn on the control stick and a well timed A to correspond. This method works great for most people, but if for some reason you don’t like it, here is the alternate, Mew2King, method. As your running, put your thumb on the C-stick and your index finger on either X or Y. Then time pressing the two together. The advantage of this over the normal method is that you have a smaller chance of messing up. The disadvantage is that switching your fingers into a claw position may seem cumbersome at first.

Uses: Running Up-Smashes can frequently catch your opponent off guard, but if you find yourself messing up whenever you try the control stick method, then give Mew2King’s patented Smash “claw” position a try. This method also works for jump canceled grabs.

Tidbit #5: Rapid B Pressing
Why is this a RST: Still, do this day, I search for a method that will let me press B more efficiently. Until I do my Doc/Mario/Luigi/Ice Climber game will continue to suffer. Here are two methods that have somewhat helped me improve my ability to press B quickly.

What it is: If you are like some people and were not blessed with quick fingers, I’ll share with you two methods that may help make your thumb faster, or at least appear that way. The first is practicing other games, I would most recommend any of the Mario Party series as they often times have mini-games that require you to press B quickly. Alternatively, if you want to get your fingers to move faster in general, I would also recommend Stepmania. These recommendations aside though, and since this article is about what you can do with your controller, I’ll share a method that B-Run (M3D’s younger brother) shared with me at GS2 over 2 years ago. Simply place your controller on your knee and shake your knee with and up and down motion while also pressing up and down with your thumb. The extra presses added by your knee can help make up for any deficiencies you normally have. I’ve had small success with this method and use it from time to time, but more recently I’ve take the words of both ChuDat and Cactuar to heart when I asked them how they press B so fast. Simply put, it’s a rhythm. I haven’t quite found the rhythm yet for my Doctor Mario, but I’ve been getting better keeping this in mind, so use their advice as much as you want.

Uses: With Mario, Doctor Mario, and Luigi (after you load it), you can gain extra height with their Down-B tornado attacks by rabidly pressing B. Pressing B faster gives you more height. The same is also true for the Ice Climber’s Side B attack, and when you have two Ice Climbers together you can gain insane height, almost as much as their regular Up-B recovery.

Tidbit #6: Marth's Double Fair
Why is this a RST: It took me forever to learn to do and it wasn't until some helpful advice from JV and Joe Bushman that I started to do it successfully.

What it is: The key to doing the double short hop Fair with Marth is using your thumb to hit the A button instead of moving it all the way to the C-Stick. Of course, I realized this after awhile but was still terrible at performing it, that was until Joe Bushman explained another aspect of it after observing my controller. Many Smashers have the habit of spamming a button, hoping to do the attack at the earliest possible frame, the thing is though, for this move, I would recommend learning the timing of the technique, so don't spam the A button, instead, press it twice, with just the right amount of space between presses.

Uses: Marth's double Fair is amazing for comboing opponents and frequently you can chain a character from one side of a stage to the other using only this move. In addition to this, the short hop double Fair can't wreak havoc on shields. If the opponent tries to shield grab after the first Fair, they will usually end up dropping their shield just in time to get hit by the second Fair. Not to mention the second Fair (when you L-cancel it), allows you to recover and either retreat, grab, or attack again usually before the opponent gets out of their shield (its usually best to simply roll away if you are getting pressured by someone spamming Marth's short hop double Fair).

Toomai

Smash Ace
Lots of stuff in this issue. The main thing that gets me is how the first three all call for stickjumping - something a lot of people dislike. It's really the smarter way to play at times - move with one hand, attack with the other.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I like the trick on getting out of grabs faster. Very helpful. I shall try what you wrote the next time I get grabbed. Of course, I don't think it's possible for us to be faster than the Level 9 CPU's at escaping grabs. :p

Good job!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Tidbit #4: Button Mashing

Uses: Break out of grabs, including the ever so dangerous Ice Climber Infinite (at lower than 30% usually) in mere milliseconds.
[sarcasm]
Somebody just made the Ice Climber's ****list.
[/sarcasm]

This is some real interesting stuff.

I personally find alot of it common knowledge, but i never really thought of how useful the space techs could be (cause i dont main space. D: )

Keep these up. Reaaaaaaally good stuff.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
^yeah, stepmania is right :D

a lesson from this? sometimes, it IS faster to use the control stick for jumping.
oh, and i think i posted something about an easy way to do a running upsmash with fox in a fox char. specific sticky. i forgot which one, something about special techniques?

Binx

Smash Master
Good stuff man, I dunno I could never make myself use the control stick to jump, I dont play spacies very often, but as far as double lasers with fox go wouldnt that make it sort of difficult to move while SDLing

Eaode

Smash Champion
For running upsmashes you can also Crouch Cancel your run with a quarter turn and then c-stick any smash you like. Running into a Fsmash really catches people by surprise!

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Tidbit #4: Button Mashing
Why is this a RST: Ever wonder how some people seem to be able to get out of grabs in a super quick fassion? Here’s one method that might improve your break out time.

What it is: When you get grabbed, never, ever be stagnant, no matter what percentage you are. Many tournament players, including myself, will actually listen to the others person controller, and if we don’t hear the sound of buttons being mashed we’ll simply sit there and beat you with our A attack. Sometimes you see someone who happens to be able to break out faster than what seems humanly possible, so here is a way that can help you. Each button and quarter turn on both the control stick and C-stick knock off frames for which you are grabbed, yet most people actually completely ignore the C-stick when mashing out of grabs. To make hitting the face buttons and the C-stick easier, practice rotating the C-stick with the inside of your palm while you jam buttons with your thumb. I’ve also found that using my middle finger, instead of my index finger, for the L/R buttons, allows for faster mashing.

Uses: Break out of grabs, including the ever so dangerous Ice Climber Infinite (at lower than 30% usually) in mere milliseconds.
The C-Stick has no bearing on how long you are held in a grab for

Grab Escape Speed Formula (and the factors that affect it)

The formula for escaping a grab (NOT special grabs, like Bowser's Koopa Klaw) is the following. The variables are, as you probably know, "t" = time(in frames) stuck in a grab, "b" = amount of times victim presses buttons to escape quicker, and "d" = damage of victim.

Most Grabs - Starting Time - 7 frames (0.11666 sec)
Most Grabs - Total Time - 30 frames (0.5 sec)
Most Dash Grabs - Starting Time - 11 frames (0.18333 sec)
Most Dash Grabs - Total Time - 40 frames (0.666 sec)

The formula is...

t = 1.6d + 76 - 6b

At 0%, without any usage of the analog stick or any buttons, it takes exactly 76 frames (1.26666...) to escape a grab. On average, every damage more an opponent receives, the time they're stuck in a grab is increased by 1.6 frames. Since the game doesn't have fractions of a frame, it goes like this for every 5% an opponent receieves(and then the process/pattern continues). +2 frames, +2 frames, +1 frame, + 2 frames, + 1 frame. That's how it works. I also found that every flash when Mew2 grabs you occurs exactly 24 frames apart (and the 1st one starts on the 3rd frame of the grab), which is the exact same speed as Falco's laser when it's shot on the ground rapidly (except for the 1st shot, which starts on frame 23). Also, here is a general list of what affects escaping a grab by how much.

-----Press A, B, L, R, X, Y, or Z - 6 frames is reduced from the time you'd be held in a grab.

-----Press The Analog stick in 1 of the 4 cardinal directions(angles don't count) - 6 frames is reduced from the time you're held in a grab (24 frames is reduced after 1 complete rotation of the analog stick, so 2 and 1/2 rotations reduces the time by 1 second).

The characters that shock you when they're holding you(except Ice Climbers with both of them) with they're grab+A move, which include(in no specific order)...

1) Mewtwo
2) Pichu
3) Pikachu
4) Zelda
5) Ice Climbers(with both of them, by pressing A really really fast)

...stun a grabbed foe for for 5 frames, and every single other character in the game stuns a foe for only 3 frames. Yes, you can actually increase the time a character is held by pressing A to attack them in a grab. The total time for ever A attack (in a grab) is EXACTLY 26 frames, so that means that you'll be able to shock a foe with Mew2, Pika/Pichu, Zelda and the 2 Ice Climbers about 1 more time in 12 or 13 times than you'd be able to do with another character, which gives those 5 characters an very very very slight advantage over other characters when you hold and attack them.

Here's a little list on the amount of frames a character is held in a grab at each damage percentage(counting by 5's)

---------------0% - 76 (1.2666 sec)

---------------50% - 156 (2.6 sec)

---------------100% - 236 (3.9333 sec)

---------------150% - 316 (5.2666 sec)

---------------200% - 396 (6.6 sec)

---------------250% - 476 (7.9333 sec)

---------------300% - 556 (9.2666 sec)

---------------350% - 636 (10.6 sec)

---------------400% - 716 (11.9333 sec)

---------------999% - 1674 (27.9 sec)

---adds 1 second every 37.5% (without trying to escape it)

---doubles original time stuck in move (76 frames) at 47.5% (without trying to escape it)

---from 0% to 999%, there's approximately a 22.026316 times increase in the amount of times longer Disable lasts (without trying to escape it)

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Uses: Running Up-Smashes can frequently catch your opponent off guard, but if you find yourself messing up whenever you try the control stick method, then give Mew2King’s patented Smash “claw” position a try.
I'm confused as to what the "claw" position is. If it's what I'm thinking of, it's where you use your index finger and middle finger to press buttons more quickly.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
All of this information seems really obvious, yet i can't help but notice that half of the tidbits were explained to you by someone else.

Tidbits 1#, #2 and #3:
Pretty much you're saying "If you can't do it with Y/X, do it with the control stick" which is common sense and also the reason why it's already established to do those moves with the control stick anyway

Tidbit #5:
A running Usmash is done by jump cancelling; once you're aware of the definition of jump cancelling (and given perhaps 5 seconds to think about it,) you will inevitably consider using X/Y to jump, but then disregard it because it's a huge pain to switch to claw mode just for that. The reason it's so 'unheard of' is probably because it's so obvious, yet so useless, that no one ever talks about it.

(Don't give me any 'what if you want an uncharged JC Usmash?', because you can just use the control stick + c-stick combo for that, which should ALSO be very obvious, but i'm starting to wonder so i'll put this here just in case)

Tidbit #6, TLDR version: "Try Harder"
Fixed ^

I'm confused as to what the "claw" position is. If it's what I'm thinking of, it's where you use your index finger and middle finger to press buttons more quickly.
It's when you use (for your right hand) your index finger and your thumb for the A/B/X/Y buttons, and the middle finger for R/Z. It pretty much gives you an extra finger to work with if you can get used to it.

felipe1123

Smash Cadet
For Tidbit #6, when you're rapid pressing, DI-ing up during the move helps a lot too on gaining height.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
The C-Stick has no bearing on how long you are held in a grab for
Quoted for truth.

But! there is something to it. At higher %s, you want to make sure you have the right DI. Like AlphaZealot said, most players listed to see if there are buttons being mashed. What i'll frequently do, is pick my DI, mash the buttons, and spin the c-stick, not for the c-stick's breakout ability, but rather for it's noise making ability. you can make it seem like you're spinning your control stick and are going to mess up DI, but really, you wont. Own your opponent with meta-mindgames!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Thats interesting...it would appear I am mistaken. I guess when I rotate the C-stick I also pay more attention to pressing the face buttons faster. I'll make that correction.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Double post because the edit button is being fickle and my connection at MLG Dallas is spotty at best.

I've already prepared another RST, just debating when to put it up.
Klowne: Why don't you look through the other previous RST's, if you know everything in them, then you can go ahead and critique all you want. Of course the tidbits were explained to me by someone else, thats what happens when you travel around playing Smash for 3 years, you learn tons of new things from all over the place, so why not let people know who I first heard things from? Much of the information in these tidbits is pretty obvious, but the tidbits aren't meant for people who have been playing for a long time, they are meant for people who are just starting out in the game (read the introduction to the first issue of RST).

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Wouldnt that be another question?

And I do. Not only would It make it easier for me to find and direct people to, i think it's useful information for people who have their feet wet and are looking for useful tidbits that arent posted about very often.

Gea

Smash Master
I think the reason they will lack stickyage is...

1. No compilation

2. It has all been posted elsewhere.

Not to say this isn't good ****.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I'm all for RST for being in the "All Everything" sticky, but they don't need their own sticky.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i actually shdf using exclusively the C-stick...its easier when i do it facing the left though.

and another way to do fox's running upsmash is to simply dash cancel and use the Cstick ^_^

Top Bottom