• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox McCloud Discussion

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
As I was searching the forum to help Kaid out with his character index, I've come to notice that there is no Fox McCloud thread created yet. So I thought, hey, what the heck? I might as well just make it! The point of threads like these is to avoid spam from other members (too many threads on one subject). Well, here we go.

Fox McCloud is a character in the Star Fox Series. His first appearance was in the SNES game Star Fox, where he and his team had to save the Lylat system. He is the most notable character in the series, and has appeared in over 5 games on the SNES, Nintendo 64, GameCube, and DS.

Height: 1.73 meters
Weight: 154 pounds
Homeworld: Corneria
Position: Leader of the Star Fox team
Fur color: Tan and white
Eye color: Green

~ quoted from Nintendopedia.org

FACT: Fox IS confirmed for Brawl! For more information, check out Smashbros.com!

The following images are games which include Fox. They are listed in the order of it's release date.

Star Fox 2 for the SNES, canceled, and then later moved to Star Fox Command. (image not available, max picture limit reached)

From game to game, Fox McCloud has grown more and more popular! Now Star Fox is starring in the newest Smash game, Super Smash Bros. Brawl! Through the games, you can tell that his design and costume look has been changed as time went by. The Super Smash Bros. Brawl given design, takes more after Star Fox Command.

A new headset, equipment, clothing, and accessories, Fox McCloud is ready for action!

Fox is just one of many so-called speed characters. His costume has been completely updated, so he’s full of fighting spirit.

Run! Fly! Move boldly! For such moves are the essence of Fox!

~ quoted from Smashbros.com

In Melee, Fox is easily considered as top tier, and is often used by players worldwide.
Discussions to ponder on:

- Will Sakurai 'nerf' Fox in Brawl?
- How will his shine work?
- Do you think the motion sensor bomb which he has equipped is useable?
- Will his gun be at the ready, and as cheap as before?
- His new look, good or bad?

And the discussion is endless!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
man you make my link and mario threads lokk horrible with these pictures.

anyway fox is awesome. i used him a little in the first smash and got used to him a little more in melee. now, even though he isn't high on my list, he is one of my mains and i love playing as him.

as for his brawl appearance, i think it looks cool. i was hoping for adventures look, cause i was a little skeptical when i saw his command look (that changed when i played the game, i'm used to it now.)

and the little motion sensor thing, i think he presses it and that's how he turns on his shine...or fire fox...maybe both? a little info on how he was able to do it since his moveset was created entirely by scratch

anyway yeah Fox!

Gileril

Smash Cadet
- Do you think the motion sensor bomb which he has equipped is useable?
Judging by the color of the light that thing is emitting, I would say it is probably the device that powers his reflector shield- just giving it visual representation now.

Zeela12

Smash Ace

I cannot imagine anyone arguing that the new fox looks better.

(Furry Fox > Plastic Fox anyday)

also, I think Fox was 18 in the first Starfox game for SNES, and now hes 29 in command,

he was 25-6 ish for SFA, and something like 23-4 for Starfox 64.

also there is a Starfox 2 not released/cancled for the SNES, and the idea was later moved to Command:

Zlykin

Smash Rookie
Even if fox gets nerfed, I will use him even more, as I am a guy for challenges and such. Also, I wont get assumed of the immediate thoughts of using him "because hes an almost confirmed win" which are really annoying me now. Anywho yeah, im kinda hoping (sp?) he gets a nerf, and I really wont care if its a nerf that ness got into the transition to melee, ill still use him all the same

Zeela12

Smash Ace
Even if fox gets nerfed, I will use him even more, as I am a guy for challenges and such. Also, I wont get assumed of the immediate thoughts of using him "because hes an almost confirmed win" which are really annoying me now. Anywho yeah, im kinda hoping (sp?) he gets a nerf, and I really wont care if its a nerf that ness got into the transition to melee, ill still use him all the same

it would be best if tiers were taken out as a whole, so all characters are equal, but that's impossible.

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
man you make my link and mario threads lokk horrible with these pictures.

anyway fox is awesome. i used him a little in the first smash and got used to him a little more in melee. now, even though he isn't high on my list, he is one of my mains and i love playing as him.

as for his brawl appearance, i think it looks cool. i was hoping for adventures look, cause i was a little skeptical when i saw his command look (that changed when i played the game, i'm used to it now.)

and the little motion sensor thing, i think he presses it and that's how he turns on his shine...or fire fox...maybe both? a little info on how he was able to do it since his moveset was created entirely by scratch

anyway yeah Fox!
:p I wanted to make the best out of this thread, since I've noticed that "official" topics like these almost include no information about the character it's about. It's often somthing around the lines of "I can't believe no one's thought of _____ for Brawl! Cool huh?!" and so on and so forth. I love his new outfit, the only thing I can't see working, is his boots when preforming a dair.

Those are some foxy pics...*is shot for making lame pun*
I'd love to do the honors ;)
I (obviously) just found those pics around Smashbros.com, and tried to make them look in order when I put them here.

Judging by the color of the light that thing is emitting, I would say it is probably the device that powers his reflector shield- just giving it visual representation now.
That would make sense, I've never really thought of that. I don't think there's any mention of that in Melee? Or, N64 for that matter.

I cannot imagine anyone arguing that the new fox looks better.

(Furry Fox > Plastic Fox anyday)

also, I think Fox was 18 in the first Starfox game for SNES, and now hes 29 in command,

he was 25-6 ish for SFA, and something like 23-4 for Starfox 64.

also there is a Starfox 2 not released/cancled for the SNES, and the idea was later moved to Command:

Thanks for the new information :)
I'll edit that into my first post, when I'm done with this one.
As for the designs of Fox, I like the Command one. No, the plastic look is dumb. But the overall design and layout is better looking that SFA IMO. Just add a little fur to the Command, and we have our Brawl Fox!

I mained Fox in N64.
When Melee came out (oddly enough), I thought they completely nerfed him at the time, so I stopped playing as him. Plus, he looked completely ********, and I couldn't get used to playing with a character I thought was hard to use and sucked at it's image. (it was only later when I found out how top tier he was... I still can't use him though).

He'll be one of the first players I'll be testing with in Brawl, I'm curious to see what his Final Smash is.

Shuma

Smash Hero
I hate Fox with a Burning Passion, first thing i'll do is Burn him to ashes with Samus in V.S Mode.

But yes... Furry Fox = Win.

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
I hate Fox with a Burning Passion, first thing i'll do is Burn him to ashes with Samus in V.S Mode.

But yes... Furry Fox = Win.
Funny how you capatalized 'Burning Passion'. :)
Anywho, SWF needs some avatars in the Brawl section of Fox.

h2ownage

Smash Journeyman
Victoria, Australia. We have Strikers already! For
Those are some foxy pics...*is shot for making lame pun*
*Wipes face clear of splashback blood, pulls self together*

I'd love it if he had a motion sensor bomb attack, it would make edgeguarding really funny, but not if it replaces his shine. Can't see that happening though. The new look is amazingly cool, his clothes look so great. He'll be the first character I choose when I first play Brawl, unless Diddy Kong is in. I played as him in the first two games. Top tier ftw!

Copperpot

Smash Ace
I used to use Fox from time to time, mainly when I got bored. I would have to agree that this new model for him is by far the best one, even though I'll spend most of my time beating the crap out of it. I rarely used him, because I don't usually use characters that are at the top of the food chain.

UltimaSmash

Smash Cadet
Meta Owns Ur Dad I think that might be a ftilt or even a new smash attack. He'd be a kick *** fox if his fsmash was a left hook....

Nosone

Smash Rookie
Meta Owns Ur Dad I think that might be a ftilt or even a new smash attack. He'd be a kick *** fox if his fsmash was a left hook....
I agree, a new smash would be awesome, just anything to make him look less like Falco. :)

[edit] Didn't see the second page :/

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
Meta, plenty of people were zoned by the pick, I thought otherwise when I first looked at it too xD

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
We have some new pictures of Fox from the last update!
For more information, go to smashbros.com!

Seems like most of you were correct, the bomb-looking-device was indeed his reflector.

"Enemies won’t flinch at the impact of its shots, but it does have rapid-fire capabilities. It’s the perfect weapon for stealing KOs."

Maybe I'm just overlooking, but won't this gun be pretty powerful if it's going to steal K.o.'s?

Eaode

Smash Champion
Today's update was pretty cool, as Sakurai confirmed that his blasters have not chaned and that he still has the reflector (don't know how the shine will turn out)

But cooler still is we now know that Zamus has a Laser move!!

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I guess I was overlooking it then.
Lol Eaode. Fox looks awesome when he does the reflector too, just look at that pose!

Sporkman

Smash Ace
One of Fox's alternative colour schemes for Brawl..

I actually demand a petition to get this in. I have it without the text aswell if anybody wants it..

saud

Smash Lord
I simply love Fox's new look (especially the scouter addition!!!!)

Since Kirby's my all time favorite character is smash, I'll try to get the hang of him first (sadly I play better with Fox.)

Then I will try to get used to Fox, and will give Solid Snake a try :p

ZeldaFox38

Smash Lord
The only thing that bothers me about Fox's new look is his ears. I can't put my finger on why I hate them. I just do. Maybe he looks too much like a terrier or something? I just don't know.

But other than that, I'm pretty excited. Fox is one of my top three characters. (I try to keep Peach and Samus on rotation as well. When I get bored, it's Bowser time.)

Most of the time, when I hate a character, I hate the person playing the character. ;) But I can't say I really hate any character. There are some I use for target practice more often.

But, both my sister and I are looking forward to trying out Pit as well. <3

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I think that he will be nerfed, at least a little...

The fact that they added where the shine will come from probably means that they needed a reason to add an animation, and built themselves one.. No more instant shine I am afraid, although you MIGHT still be able to cancel it, and I doubt they would remove the shine spike, it would just seem to odd to have a shine to knock people up! (If it knocked them in any other direction, it would still be a spike, dummy :p )

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
While there's reason to believe that the shine may have a delay, there's otherwise no real way to say for sure on how it go. Even if they added an extra frame delay, it would break the shine a bit too much I think. If they must tone down Fox (which seems likely), maybe it could be in the power of his up smash or recovery distance. Didn't those changes happened in the PAL version of Melee?

Looking at the teaser today, I was trying to see how far Fox's recovery would take him, but that part of the video cut off before it looked like he went the full distance. I remember when people were arguing over what Fox would look like before Nov. 3rd of last year and almost everyone was taken by surprise with a new look rather then one from the other games. As for that scouter of his...

Falco: Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his power level?

Fox: IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAND!!!

Falco: What?! Nine thousand?!

I wasn't the first and I won't be the last. *runs far, far away*

axi0n

Smash Apprentice
I personally like Fox's new look better then all his others even if he does look more like a Squirrel from Dragon Ball Z :chuckle:

ZeldaFox38

Smash Lord
I guess the ol' G-Diffuser just ain't what it used to be . . .

You know what we haven't talked a lot about? Fox's final smash. I mean, we could at least get some hypothesis(es?) here. Anyway? Your thought?

Personally, I think it'll probably have to do with a lot of Arwings and lasers. But, I'd like to see his dear old daddy show up. Jimmy boy! Long time, no see!

saud

Smash Lord
He will call out some friends to help him shoot down his opponents like the easter egg in SSBM...

Or maybe he can use his scouter to be more precise with his laser shots, and they will home his oppontn(s) :p

Specs

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking Nova Bomb from an Arwing.
...Or else the Firebust Pod from Assault would be nice. A large metal cannister that launches a volley of grenades upwards, causing destruction to rain from the heavens.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Right, I was looking at that clip earlier, and does anyone think that Fox's falling speed is slightly slower?

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
eh that would help him. He wouldnt fly off the stage as easy. From the looks of how much further his upB goes, I bet his jumps are a lil shorter.

I think his Final Smash would be he uses a laserguide from his gun and Arwings come in and bomb the area. It would be like a cool airstrike and he could move it circularly from himself and "chase" his enemies with the laser, thus striking them with the bombs

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I think Fox's head looks funny. [/intelligent post]

I don't really like the idea of the arwing final smash, but I can't think of a better one. I'd rather have Fox himself do something super duper instead of basically just calling for backup. But like I said, I don't know what he'd do.

Maybe he could pull Peppy out from behind his back and force him to scream "DO A BARREL ROLL!!1" at people?

Gah, I'm no good at this.

Top Bottom