• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

any hope on beating my bros shiek,luigi,marth, and link?

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
im having trouble beating them,they beat even without gaining a percentage,he combos me like crazy that i cant recover,im listing on what my bro do..

shiek-he keeps dash+A into me,its unavoidable.he's too quick for me

luigi:he counters alot, his stupid chops kills me, he combos alot too,

marth: ARGH! that smash forward attack of his destroys me, his grabs are quick,combo alot, i cant even get close to him, when i laser him,he rush toward, me grabs, F-smash. too long ranged

link: ...i dont know much about him,his long range attack kills me

any help?(without the advanced moves,like SHL,i dont know how to do them,kay?)

Leoneri

Smash Ace
I'd advise you to learn the advanced stuff....Other than that I can only say to just be more observant and predict what hes going to do and exploit it which is much easier if you have advanced techniques. Honestly without advanced techniques I don't think Falco is that great. If you don't want to use advanced techs go use some player that is at least decent without them.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Then it's obvious, learn from your mistakes, and don't make them.
let list my mistskes

1.making typos:laugh:
2.(seriosly) doing a F-air when falling of an edge from croucth canceling(i do this most the time)
3.try to edgehog,and fall
4.rolling to my bro..(i hate this one the most)
5.falling into tricks

i think i got a usb camera,i think ill try to make a vid

xelad1

Smash Ace
let list my mistskes

1.making typos:laugh:
2.(seriosly) doing a F-air when falling of an edge from croucth canceling(i do this most the time)
3.try to edgehog,and fall
4.rolling to my bro..(i hate this one the most)
5.falling into tricks

i think i got a usb camera,i think ill try to make a vid
ok so wait if you KNOW your mistakes why don't you stop doing them? What exactly do you want people to help you with? Sheik is easily the best character without advanced techniques becasue she recovers so quickly... but really most people that visit smash boards want to learn some semblance of advanced techs.... its kind of hard to give advice without them.

Marr0097

Smash Rookie
shiek-he keeps dash+A into me,its unavoidable.he's too quick for me

try to crouch cancel with this one(crouching when attacked), it's a godsend and will leave him vulnerable from some time that can be enough for you to make a counter

luigi:he counters alot, his stupid chops kills me, he combos alot too,

as stated from above, CC, if your comboed then learn to DI(directional Influence) away from him as this will lessen your chances being comboed

marth: ARGH! that smash forward attack of his destroys me, his grabs are quick,combo alot, i cant even get close to him, when i laser him,he rush toward, me grabs, F-smash. too long ranged

you've gotta trust me on this one, since he does'nt have any long range attacks such as luigi, sheik, and link, he's going to need to adjust his spacing between you and him so THIS you take in as an advantage. instead of rushing toward him, try to make him feel stupid, focus on his actions, see what he'll do next, dodge his attacks, verbal abuse works too, the point here is not to win but to humiliate, make him angry(forgot the word here), and make him feel stupid. then the rest, my friend, will be history

I think you can use at least one of the above tricks that I tought you to beat this one

Falco: you know the drill

Anther

Smash Champion
Stop whining, know that its possible to beat his characters with falco, Learn at least the basics of some of falco's unique moves and tactics... please don't ever say SHL is too hard to learn. It's a video game, you're capable of learning this stuff. and lastly.. stop whining >_<.

If you really care about getting good enough to at least be competition to your brother you'll learn the **** that your character can do, because honestly, if he doesn't do advanced techs and you at least learn to dair to shine and shl against his characters sans marth, falco should shut them down. But obviously he has an all around mental advantage over you, so the only way you'll beat him is to get more technical. And even then, you're gonna need to learn to believe in yourself over him some more x_X. Otherwise I'm going to say you're SOL, because you're convinced he adapts too fast for you anyway.

Otherwise you said it yourself, you know your mistakes, just play smart and don't get hit by his attacks. Don't try to attack like an idiot when you feel that he can hit you at that moment.

MrBitter

Smash Apprentice
Just glanced over the thread... Wouldn't normally post in one of these, but here goes.

1.) You have absolutely no grasp of Falco 101. Read the stickies before making another thread.
2.) After you read the stickies, go practice Falco basics until you have a solid grasp of SHL, SHFFL'd D-airs and N-airs.
3.) Go watch a couple of Falco vids... you can find them in the stickies. Be sure to watch Bombsoldier, Forward and Shiz. There's other absolutely fantastic Falcos out there, but those three will give you a good idea of how to dominate with Falco.
4.) After doing all of this, play one game against your bro. If you don't win, or at least put up a better fight than you had previously, then make note of the tricks your bro is using to beat you, and then come back here to tell us how badly you're getting beat.

We can't help you if you have no grasp of Smash...

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
sounds like you have really slow reactions and are bad at thinking in battle. good luck.

if you dont know how to do the advanced techniques, why not learn? SHL is by no means hard to learn the basics of. like anther said, its a video game. if you cant learn advanced techniques in a video game you have a whole other set of problems. and i highly doubt youve "mastered" l-cancelling.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Just glanced over the thread... Wouldn't normally post in one of these, but here goes.

1.) You have absolutely no grasp of Falco 101. Read the stickies before making another thread.
2.) After you read the stickies, go practice Falco basics until you have a solid grasp of SHL, SHFFL'd D-airs and N-airs.
3.) Go watch a couple of Falco vids... you can find them in the stickies. Be sure to watch Bombsoldier, Forward and Shiz. There's other absolutely fantastic Falcos out there, but those three will give you a good idea of how to dominate with Falco.
4.) After doing all of this, play one game against your bro. If you don't win, or at least put up a better fight than you had previously, then make note of the tricks your bro is using to beat you, and then come back here to tell us how badly you're getting beat.

We can't help you if you have no grasp of Smash...
stop sayin that i aint got no grasp for smash,im good, ive beaten very hard (yadda yadda), i know how the Dair to shine, teching,fast fastin,and short hops,

teeman92

Smash Lord
sounds like you have really slow reactions and are bad at thinking in battle. good luck.

if you dont know how to do the advanced techniques, why not learn? SHL is by no means hard to learn the basics of. like anther said, its a video game. if you cant learn advanced techniques in a video game you have a whole other set of problems. and i highly doubt youve "mastered" l-cancelling.
oh,and i do know how a l-cancel looks,but ive havent mastered it, i though teching was L-canceling:ohwell:

MrBitter

Smash Apprentice
stop sayin that i aint got no grasp for smash,im good, ive beaten very hard (yadda yadda), i know how the Dair to shine, teching,fast fastin,and short hops,
Hence the reason I usually stay away from threads like these...

From your first post:

If you can't SHL, you can't possibly have a grasp of SHFFL'd aerials, namely d-airs and n-airs.

If you can't l-cancel, you can't d-air to shine properly. I doubt you work in any tilts, and you obviously don't combo well.

But back to SHL... You get eaten up by Shiek's dash attack. Luigi's chop and Marth's f-smash. Learn to approach behind a SHL and you'll stop having problems with all of these.

Read the stickies. Practice. Practice some more. Practice one more time. Play your bro, and then come back here and tell us how it went.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
hey i got an idea. since your brother doesnt know how to l-cancel, you should start abusing shield grabs.

for example when sheik comes at you with a dash attack, hold R or L to shield it, then tap A to grab him right away.

once you get used to shield grabbing, you should be able to piss off your brother until he learns to l-cancel and use advanced techniques

teeman92

Smash Lord
hey i got an idea. since your brother doesnt know how to l-cancel, you should start abusing shield grabs.

for example when sheik comes at you with a dash attack, hold R or L to shield it, then tap A to grab him right away.

once you get used to shield grabbing, you should be able to piss off your brother until he learns to l-cancel and use advanced techniques
about advanced techniques, how come NO ONE around where i live doesnt know what a wavedash is? kinda strange...

yep, he is still pwning me,:ohwell: i dont feel bad about it..ill check around for sometin to help... *walk off and fire fox away*

Repryx

Smash Champion
Sheik-CC or SH dair the dash...Problem Solved!

Luigi-FF the chop when airborne use shl and rshl approaches and retreats

Marth-Once again SHL and RSHL YOU need to control the distances. Master at least WD back to draw out his Fsmash or if all else fails try to sidestep out of a run. Use the shine to start comboes

Link-Jump over his Up-B and try to avoid his projectiles for a counter as oppose to reflecting them

How Long have you been playing? Ive been 5 months...ever! and Ive Mastered quite an impressive arsenal of Falco techniques. Dont get me wrong, Im not bombsoldier or Shiz but Im pretty decent for a rookie.

And get out of that He's better than me adapts too fast nonsense. Falco are superior DONT 4GET IT! lolz (inspirational?)
Let me list the techniques that I have mastered and you should to beat your bro
WD
SHL
RSHL
JC shine
dair mastery
70% accurate teching
Thats really all you'll need. And dont say "I can't" because You Just arent trying. And your repeated mistakes is proof.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
im having trouble beating them,they beat even without gaining a percentage,he combos me like crazy that i cant recover,im listing on what my bro do..

marth: ARGH! that smash forward attack of his destroys me, his grabs are quick,combo alot, i cant even get close to him, when i laser him,he rush toward, me grabs, F-smash. too long ranged.

Marth is pretty much a defense oriented character without a single projectile, meaning you should be abusing your own when at a distance. Practice your SHL so that you keep them low to the ground so he can rush you.

A good SHFFL dair can eat through his Fsmashes. Also, running in and wavedashing out of fsmashes create some good mindgames. When you get a hit on him, don't let up.

Link really doesn't have anything in particular that he can abuse, which explains why you don't know what is really beating you. Link is also defense oriented and has projectiles, but most of his moves are good for only specific situations.

K, so first off, Link likes to keep his distance from his opponents, so getting in his face usually does well.

Link's grab, though extremely long ranged, can't grab foes in the air and misses against rolls. ;) A good mind game is to dash towards him and then roll away from his grab.

Don't bother reflecting his projectiles. His boomerang can be replace as soon as it makes contact with your shield and it forces extra lag on yourself which he can abuse if you're too close. Instead, Shield, but watch out for the grab again.

You need to know when to expect his up-b. If you can dodge it, you can rush in for a free grab.

Answers in the quote

teeman92

Smash Lord

this is preety much my mental problem, when my bro is wide open,i could smash him but "somethin" is not letting me, even if i force it,its weird...

oh and i didnt master L-canceling,kinda hard too pull of,ive masterd teching though

Repryx

Smash Champion
Grr Your Reluctance is disturbing...Do you have mental ties to your bro?

leechy9

Smash Cadet
dude, this is what u need to do against ur brother.

shiek-jump up and use falco's down a move in the air. then use the tail whip attack (down tilt a) about 3 times, then use a down smash. it should get him to about 60% and maybe a k0, if u get it just right.

leechy9

Smash Cadet
against his luigi, use the down arial attack again, then use the down smash attack on him. he should go sliding across the stage, thats when u run up and hit him with a dash attack, then use a forward smash on him, should get him around 50-60%.

his marth is gonna b kinda tricky to say, just try and short hop if u know how. (press the jump button very fast and lightly). but short hop a neutral air attack then shine him when u touch the ground. then grab him and throw him down and hit him with your tailwhip a few times.

if u cant do the short hop, try to roll around and shield grab him. hold down l or r and hit a to shield grab. then use the tailwhip.

and just use alot of attacks that come from the sky against link. but whatever u do, dont get under him and sit there.

Keeno

Smash Rookie
this is preety much my mental problem, when my bro is wide open,i could smash him but "somethin" is not letting me, even if i force it,its weird...

oh and i didnt master L-canceling,kinda hard too pull of,ive masterd teching though
sounds like you're having a case of low-self esteem(?) for when ur vsing ur bro. You're hesitating to fight cause everytime you attack, you 'seem' to be punished for every move you try to execute. Am i right?

The remedy to this problem i found is to build up your confidence. A simple way is to just vs some computers until you're happy with your skill. Another way is to go to training mode and own the crap out of the computers, working on your comboing and timing (for non di atleast)

The more "direct" way so to speak is to mentally compliment every success. You tilted your bro into a dash attack to uptilk? mentally praise yourself. You manage to execute the SHL in battle? praise yourself. You managed to do combo a luigi without running into his nair? complement yourself. If you cant even manage those, complement the small things, like you managed to tech after getting hit.

The key is to have a winning attitude or atleast some confidence in your ability. I've found that having no confidence in myself gets me completely owned in smash, while if i'm confident in myself, my falco becomes pretty solid and it moves as i like it to. Sounds corny but it works.

If you're more into the scientific side though, having a warm feeling inside and confidence in your own ability, means your brain releases some chemical which improves concentration and focus. Your brother beats you all the time so he probably has this confidence which allows him to quickly adapt to situations and control the game.

You need those atleast to adapt and win against his play. Thats what smash is, using your head properly. The best players in the world arent necessarily people with the best tech skill.

Whooo long post lol

Keeno

Smash Rookie
try vsing a fox and a falco lvl 9 computer teamed against you, and play them until you win atleast a few times.

falco is solid when matched up against those characters, but if you really want to try something different, try peach or captain falcon.

also it might help to read the posts in this thread, cause they're trying to help lol cause you seem to be ignoring people and only listen to urself but maybe thats just me =P

Keeno

Smash Rookie
thats true but they are good for getting your skills up to scratch.

unless you cant beat a lvl 9 computer and blaming on the computer hacks =P thats just silly =D

just try vsing two computers teamed up against you (falco fox). yes they do computer hax but it will increase your speed, your accuracy and your combos. Dont forget, you have a brain and that computer doesnt =P

after you can beat them almost all the time, you can forget about computers forever and play competitively.

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
You don't need to try someone else at all. Just practice SHLing (seriously, its ALL you need to beat noobs), SHFFLing and L-Canceling. If your bro is dash attacking alot just shieldgrab. Practice makes perfect(ish).

Repryx

Smash Champion
Well well then Practice your combos and mobility on a variety of stages.

Top Bottom