• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Mario Discussion Thread

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I was just on here and i noticed that we had support threads for all of the new confirmed characters, but none for the veterans!? That is a load of crap, and i have decided to make a thread just for the Mario fans out there.

With his familiar red cap, blue overalls and bushy mustache, the world-famous "Mr. Video Game" is about to set foot on the Smash Bros. stage for the third time.

An easy-to-use character, Mario sets the standard for balance.
He overwhelms opponents with magnificent jumping action!

<Down Special Move: F.L.U.D.D.>

It appears Mario has a new special move! It’s F.L.U.D.D.

He really is carrying F.L.U.D.D. on his back!

Tilt the Control Stick down and press the B Button to charge up...

Hose ‘em down! Blast those enemies away.

It does absolutely no damage—it’s just for sending opponents great distances. You can even charge it up while shielding. It’s best used in critical moments.

Huh? What happened to the down special move he’s had up until now—the Mario Tornado?

He still seems to have this move, though.
Eh? Is it a normal attack?!

Mario's Final Smash
<Mario Finale>

So just what was that massive storm of flame Mario unleashed in the movie?

That was Mario's Final Smash, the Mario Finale!

He got a Smash Ball! Mario is standing by!

Ready?

Bam! Bam! BambambambamBAM!

The explosion launches out and expands vertically as it travels, so in order to inflict the most damage possible on enemies, it's best to release this from a slight floating or midair position on either the left or right side of the screen.

If Mario launches this at you, you'd better flee!

The italian plumber, the rescuer of Princess Peach, and the most balanced fighter since the first smash was released. He has thwarted Bowser on multiple occasions, and had enough time to defeat others, like Cackletta, Wart, and Wario.

He seemed pretty much unchanged until the update with FLUDD, and the debate is getting out of hand. Will the tornado only show up when you use down B in the air, or will it replace his spinning dair kick? hard to say at this point, but for me, i hope the tornado is used only in the air with down B. but other than that, he seems to retain his old moves

Being an avid Mario player ever since the first smash, I thought it was about time to have a thread dedicated to the one and only "Mr. Nintendo." So voice how Mario could play, or just anything Mario related. I mean really, who doesn't love this guy?

So come one and all and give your voice and support for the one and only Mario!

experiment111

Smash Journeyman
He is the standard for a smash fighter and one of the most well balanced. The only thing ive seen or can imagine being different are his graphical update and his final smash. theres not much reason to fix or nerf him in anyway.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I just hope his cape is as awesome as it was in Melee.

Conker1

Smash Ace
I have mained Mario since the first Smash(which I got the day it came out) and I will continue too in Brawl!

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
Yes, it is kind of lame that all the threads are about new characters, but that because there's nothing really to talk about him...

P.S. I love playing as Dr.Mario/Mario, just saying = )

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I recently started to play as Mario, and I'm liking him a lot, I guess he could be one of my mains in Brawl.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Yes, it is kind of lame that all the threads are about new characters, but that because there's nothing really to talk about him...

P.S. I love playing as Dr.Mario/Mario, just saying = )
well, there are a few things to talk about. i'm really interested in his finale (FIREBALLS OF DOOM!!!). or something along the lines of combos or stages (we already have isle delfino, so that leaves some clue to mario's arsenal...i think)

Brawler

Smash Rookie
i started using mario, and the cape is god-send. i doubt he'll be changed to much. but in the second trailer i noticed after his dair he did the thing that he does after doing DownB. (where he throws his fist out)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mario was ade nearly perfect. One of the few very balanced characters in the game. It seems like the confirmed differences (of course the game is still in dveelopment and can still change) include his forward aerial which now has meteor and killing properties similar to DK's forward aerial.

And of course his down B looks useful now.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Mario was ade nearly perfect. One of the few very balanced characters in the game. It seems like the confirmed differences (of course the game is still in dveelopment and can still change) include his forward aerial which now has meteor and killing properties similar to DK's forward aerial.

And of course his down B looks useful now.
yeah that was a big let down for me in melee. i frequently would use his down b for its shear power, but melee came and it would barely hurt the other fighters. seeing it in the second trailer like that made me feel so much better

Brawler

Smash Rookie
range has always been a problem for me with mario. i'm used to fighting with fox, sheik, and marth who all have excellcent, so i'm not as close as i'm supposed to for a FSmash, and i'm left open.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Give him Dr. Mario's knockback for downsmash and foward smash. Also, give Dr. Mario's bair. Get rid of aggravating sweetspots. Range can definitely help.

That is my wish list of improvements on Mario.

Yes, Mario players unite!!!!

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah like his cape if a bit longer than marios, his dtilt is a tad stronger, so are his pills, and other moves but I dont use doc so I cant tell u all of them :p

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
the update today gave us some insight on mario's recovery. did you see how far he jumped up?! does this mean all characters are like this or has Mario become cooler in his own little way?

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
The only thing that you need to change about Mario is adding power to his moves and making it so that his Dtilt isn't useless( you no idea how many times I've wanted to pull off a Dtilt, Fair combo but the wind-down lag is absurd.)

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yep his recovery is way better, and he didnt even used the cape/tornado recovery, mario will surely PWN this time around in smash...

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah its a shame such a well-balanced character like mairo is barely used, while other characters get the glory:

Fox players: "OMG SHINE IS DA PWNZOR!!"
Marth players: "OMG MARTHS TIP FTW!!"
Sheik players: "BRKONESS!!"
Peach players: "STICH IS GOD-TIER!!1!1ONE"

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I just hope Bowser can give Mario a little more competition this time around. And show the other heroes the true might of a giant love stricken turtle.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Fine.
I don't like posting if I have nothing to add, but...

Go Mario!

He's the character I will most likely start ignoring for a few months when I first play the game, then find back to because his playstyle is just the best there is. I love playing as him.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Every once in a while I'd be perusing the character selection screen for a character to play, and Mario would catch my eye. The balance his character represents makes him very accessible to all players.

My best friend was a Mario player, and I'm sure he'll continue to be when Brawl comes out (unless Geno makes the cut).

I'll continue to play as Link, Metaknight, and other cool new additions to the game, but I know that one day I'll be browsing the character screen for brawl, and my cursor will magically wander to the chubby plumber in red.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I'll first play as him, because it's tradition. (since the first smash, though I really wanted to play as Zelda/Shiek in Melee, I still began with Mario) Besides, I think that if I play the most balanced character first then the other ones will have a better feel.

NeoSoul

Smash Journeyman
I hope his spkike is as satysfying as always....best spike in the game next to ganondorfs or falcos

Top Bottom