• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Goku the Monkey King for Brawl!

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
NOT the DragonBall Goku, this Goku:

That's just a sketch, done by one fryguy64. You can also see him at the bottom of this picture:

He's from a game known as "Yuu Yuu Ki":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuu_Yuu_Ki

I've never played his game, and I hardly know anything about him, but come on, he's a monkey with fighting powers! Who WOULDN'T want to see him in there? :p

...HAHA, I bet you thought I meant this Goku, didn't you?

NOT!

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
You know this thread is going to be so totally ignored, so I suggest you change the name immediately. Please do this.

I'm not sure about the likelihood of this Goku appearing though.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
I was about to rip my eyes out. he looks good to fight but not for Brawl not known by alot of people.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Diddy Kong is the most-wanted Nintendo monkey, Krystal is the most-wanted bo/staff user, Takamaru is the most-wanted Famicom Disk game representative besides Link, Samus, Mario, etc., and the name "Goku" will cause people to compare him to the Super Saiyan, just like comparing Mike Jones (StarTropics) to Mike Jones (rapper), and Michelangelo (artist) to Michelangelo (TMNT).

Goku the monkey king might enter as a trophy, but I guess he almost doesn't have a chance at entering as a playable character.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
oh so you don't like the name fine. just click edit then advance edit.
OH! Advance edit? I never knew about that...

You were saying to change the name, othersie this thread would be ignored...

But partly, I left the name like that to make people think I was talking about the other Goku. :p

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
I once read that this Goku:

Was Base of this Goku:

Read about it here:

Anime News Network said:
The idea of Son Goku was developed conceptually from the old Chinese mythological hero character Son Goku, who was actually a monkey. The mythological character was also equipped with a stick weapon and a cloud that he could ride on.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=243&page=22

Funny thing huh?

I give Goku a thumbs up!

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Huh, that IS interesting! Actually, I hear that Goku's full name is Son Goku, though I never heard anyone call him that in the English version of everything...
You are right. Goku's full name is Son Goku, as well the monkey king's. Goku (the saiyan) was based of Goku (the monkey) from the very beginning. It explains the Power Pole and Nimbus Cloud, but for the sake of keep the story going after Piccolo, those were scratched of and made Goku a saiyan and thats where Dragonball Z starts.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
You are right. Goku's full name is Son Goku, as well the monkey king's. Goku (the saiyan) was based of Goku (the monkey) from the very beginning. It explains the Power Pole and Nimbus Cloud, but for the sake of keep the story going after Piccolo, those were scratched of and made Goku a saiyan and thats where Dragonball Z starts.
Ahh, yes, I see. Neat!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
An interesting fact aboult Goku(Dragonball). As for the other Goku(monkey)he is not gonna be in it!! not to put your hopes down but think about it, has he been in any video game also is he popular nowadays or not anime related

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
An interesting fact aboult Goku(Dragonball). As for the other Goku(monkey)he is not gonna be in it!! not to put your hopes down but think about it, has he been in any video game also is he popular nowadays or not anime related
Well of course he isn't gonna make it! But nevertheless he's still a very interesting character.

After all, he is a forgotten Nintendo character (FlipTroopa I am ashamed of you since you are the one who always find this type of characters), and he has the potential to have a great move set, as he is a staff wielder.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Actually, the original DragonBall (when Goku the saiyan was younger) came before DragonBall Z.

Also, did anyone know that two characters from Yuu Yuu Ki made a cameo appearance in Kirby's Dream Land 3?

Here is its name in Japanese format: 遊遊記

And here is its Japanese Wikipedia article: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/遊遊記

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Well, his game was re-released as part of the Famicom Miniseries for the GBA (like the Classic NES series).

parrothead

Smash Lord
Actually, both Goku (monkey) and Goku (saiyan) were both inspired by Sun Wukong.

Here is an advertisement (or poster) of Yuu Yuu Ki:

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I once read that this Goku:

Was Base of this Goku:

Read about it here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=243&page=22

Funny thing huh?

I give Goku a thumbs up!
Son Goku was not based after the Goku this thread was about, but based after the Goku that the Goku of this thread is about:urg:

Son Goku and Yuu Yuu Ki's Goku are BOTH based after the main character from Journey to the West, a Chinese novel from the 70's

I want to play Yuu Yuu Ki, but can't find a the game OR a ROM anywhere, but because it is about a magic monkey, I want to.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Son Goku was not based after the Goku this thread was about, but based after the Goku that the Goku of this thread is about:urg:

Son Goku and Yu Yu Ki's Goku are BOTH based after the main character from Journey to the West, a Chinese novel from the 70's

I want to play Yu Yu Ki, but can't find a the game OR a ROM anywhere, but because it is about a magic monkey, I want to.
It's actually spelled Yuu Yuu Ki, not "Yu Yu Ki".

parrothead

Smash Lord
Possibly.

Say, after you've played it, perhaps you can add more info to the Wikipedia article.
However, due to the game being a text-based game, while having Japanese as its language, it would be almost impossible to understand the title itself.

thechunkylover

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm chinese I know about the story. The story was called journey to the west. Other characters like piggy and hermit ( hmmmmm... seems familiar ) were with him. I heard the monkey was called monkey king not goku, maybe in japanese, I'm chinese so I have no clue.

And there it is your asian confirmasian.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'm chinese I know about the story. The story was called journey to the west. Other characters like piggy and hermit ( hmmmmm... seems familiar ) were with him. I heard the monkey was called monkey king not goku, maybe in japanese, I'm chinese so I have no clue.

And there it is your asian confirmasian.
Hmm, interesting...

I prefer calling him Goku, if that's alright. The Monkey King sounds too formal for me.

Zeela12

Smash Ace
just found this thred, thought I can share a bit insight for people who might wonder,

"Yuu Yuu Ki" is actually the novel "Journey to the West," an acient Chinese story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_West

his real name is formaly known as Sūn Wùkōng. the Goku from DBZ is infact made based off of this. (their names are actually the same in Japanese and Chinese), the little cloud thing that Goku rides once in a while long time ago in Dragon ball is also from this story, as well as Wulong the pig.

Fawriel

Smash Master
... wait. Wouldn't this character go under the "didn't originate in a video game" category?
I mean, Nintendo did get the idea from ancient folklore...

Top Bottom