• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Edgehogging Different in Brawl?

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
Question for those who have played Brawl:

Is edgehogging different? I did a search and couldn't find any information on it. It looks like the roll animation no longer edgehogs, like, you have to actually be on the ledge grabbing it for your opponent not to be able to grab it.

So, those who have played, enlighten us to the new edgehog mechanics, how they are useful/not useful, what the new ways we'll have to use it will be, etc...you know, general discussion type stuff.

-- Knight-errant

EDIT: Here's a video of what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS1i35cdWHI&feature=related

It's at 0:33. In melee Metaknight would have totally edgeguarded diddy because meta was in the middle of rolling up the edge, however, diddy still grabbed on.

TwilightSky

Smash Cadet
I think its the same, I saw a few videos of people doing that and it seems to be the same as before.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Well it should be a little easier, even without wavedashing, because you can now backgrab an edge. This means you can probably grab it by just walking slowly off and not falling far from the ledge, so you just grab on as you fall, rather than jumping backwards or wavedashing backwards.

I don't have Brawl though, so I can't be sure.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
Well it should be a little easier, even without wavedashing, because you can now backgrab an edge. This means you can probably grab it by just walking slowly off and not falling far from the ledge, so you just grab on as you fall, rather than jumping backwards or wavedashing backwards.

I don't have Brawl though, so I can't be sure.
thats entirely true, edgehogging has new pros and new cons to it.

paOol

Smash Apprentice
its really different. you sweetspot alot more easily onto the ledge, but you cant hog it as long. if that makes sense. if you try to edge hog in brawl, what will normally happen is the person who is trying to get back on will up+b and their attack will knock you off the ledge and allow them to grab it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b4_Hn0IQKc

theres a pretty good example of it when im fighting gimpyfish's squirtle.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Edgehogging still works the same. I have not tested how long you're counted as being on the edge even though you're not, however, but it's still much longer than the time you actually spend on the edge when rolling up.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Getting to the edge is a lot easier for most characters, because of the backwards grabbing/hugging. Keeping someone else off of it is a lot harder. You pretty much have to grab the edge right before they do, otherwise they'll just hit you off, and if you roll up then most characters will just grab anyway.

paOol

Smash Apprentice
its really different. you sweetspot alot more easily onto the ledge, but you cant hog it as long. if that makes sense. if you try to edge hog in brawl, what will normally happen is the person who is trying to get back on will up+b and their attack will knock you off the ledge and allow them to grab it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b4_Hn0IQKc

theres a pretty good example of it when im fighting gimpyfish's squirtle.
at 1:28 if u just want to see the edge part.

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
Ok, some people don't seem to know the definition of "edgehog." That's where you grab the edge to prevent your opponent from doing the same. It is different from edgeguarding.

Ok, I also found a decent video. The link is in the original post.

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, kind of stinks eh? It probably would've been better if they had stuck with melee's version of tether recovery.

jakeadactyl

Smash Apprentice
lol you spelled 'hedgehog' wrong!

yes, there is one in super smash brothers brawl and he is a blue one and his name is sonic. but he is very different than the one in super smash brothers melee because there was no hedgehog in melee AHAHAHAHA. i think you have him confused for a character named 'Marth' because they have blue hair and i used to get them confused all the time.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Getting to the edge is a lot easier for most characters, because of the backwards grabbing/hugging. Keeping someone else off of it is a lot harder. You pretty much have to grab the edge right before they do, otherwise they'll just hit you off, and if you roll up then most characters will just grab anyway.
Answered it before I can see this thread. -_-

Oh well, this the answer to your question.

Talendime

Smash Ace
lol you spelled 'hedgehog' wrong!

yes, there is one in super smash brothers brawl and he is a blue one and his name is sonic. but he is very different than the one in super smash brothers melee because there was no hedgehog in melee AHAHAHAHA. i think you have him confused for a character named 'Marth' because they have blue hair and i used to get them confused all the time.

hahaha that's what I was thinking. at first. but then I didn't say it because it was stupid. hmm.

I've never ran into edge hogging in melee. I didn't even know you could hang from ledges! you guys are so like.. advanced..

Waddle

Smash Ace
Its more useless now because people auto sweetspot. They just decided to take the skill out of Smash I guess.

LordLocke

Smash Journeyman
Edgehogging looks a lot harder to do to non-tether recoveries then it used to- invincible time on a ledge upon grabbing is greatly reduced (seems about long enough to press an input and move on with life) and it seems the ledge is free for grabbing again as soon as you vacate it (Instead of the end of your edge roll/attack animation, which is how edge-hogging worked in Melee), so the window for stopping someone from grabbing the ledge by being on it is very, very small.

Chasing and Wall of Pain from the cliff look to be better choice in most instances, unless someone finds a way to keep a ledge occupied for a fair amount amount of time without being vulnerable as all get-out.

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
Edgehogging looks a lot harder to do to non-tether recoveries then it used to- invincible time on a ledge upon grabbing is greatly reduced (seems about long enough to press an input and move on with life) and it seems the ledge is free for grabbing again as soon as you vacate it (Instead of the end of your edge roll/attack animation, which is how edge-hogging worked in Melee), so the window for stopping someone from grabbing the ledge by being on it is very, very small.

Chasing and Wall of Pain from the cliff look to be better choice in most instances, unless someone finds a way to keep a ledge occupied for a fair amount amount of time without being vulnerable as all get-out.
Finally! This is what I was looking for. :laugh:

Thank you. :)

ShortFuse

Smash Lord

Kruton

Smash Ace
As far as edge-hogging goes, it's easy to position into one, but needing to do it is a lot more situational in this game.

You can be a lot more ballsy with edge guarding in this game because as long as you get near the edge, you're okay.

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVmtq3LeEUo&fmt=18 @ 00:45 & @ 1:20 - I edgehog PR3Y11 twice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjEj5fhRoes @ 0:25. Shine and then EdgeHog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-XCXrftEsU @ 1:39. Hogging of Fox Illusion

It's not that hard to do. Sure the timing is different, but it's take a short while to get used to. Ike is really easy to edge hog if he's doing his fB, just get up right before he reaches. He'll swing and die.
Those were some good examples, thanks. Am I right in saying that it looks like the invincibility time on the ledge is shorter in Brawl? (thus making it harder to edgeguard)

Knight-errant...the name's a Shadowrun reference, am I right? If so, kudos.
No, it's really more just because I like the epicness of knight-errants. :) If anything it's a reference to Don Quixote.

Helicore

Smash Rookie
you are no longer considered to be grabbing the ledge when you roll up. Other charcters can grab the ledge while you do this now as opposed to in melee

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
you are no longer considered to be grabbing the ledge when you roll up. Other charcters can grab the ledge while you do this now as opposed to in melee
Cool. This makes edgehogging require a lot more timing, and thus skill. And anything that adds more skill to the game is a good thing. :)

ptown

Smash Ace
perhaps the timing is more strict since it seems you aren't actually holding the edge as long?

one question: i wonder if >100% damage edge options (e.g. rolling, "wake up attack," etc.) edgehog any better than <100% options since they are usually a whole lot slower?

Helicore

Smash Rookie
From all the matches i have seen with rather good people Edgehogging seems to rarely ever work for them. not to say that no one can get it to work, they are probably just too used to the way it works in melee.

While it would add more skill to properly execute it is just way too easy to prevent anyone with a tether recovery from getting back. Looks like people who main anyone with a tether will have to find other ways to get back

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
If somebody is trying to edgehog you best bet is to give yourself a little room to go past the edge. For example, with Fox, using Up+B vertically or diagonally, if somebody is somebody is hogging, you'll go past the edge. Remember that it's not so important to aim for the tip of the edge anymore.
The same goes for Marth's Up+B, if you don't go for tip, and somebody edge hogs, you can go past them and land on the stage.

Horizontal moves are very easy to edge hog. Both Fox's fB and Ike's fB to the edge are suicide against a skilled player when trying to recover from far away. The only Fox has is the shine to stall in midair, but even so, a slow recovery from the edge is long enough to kill you. Against Ike, it doesn't have to be timed at all, just press A when Ike is going to hit you. You'll get invincibility frames and Ike will swing and die.

greenlink

Smash Apprentice
While the invincibility frames are shorter, some charecters with tether recoveries (the only one i am sure of is zss) can edgehog while hanging off their tether. This means they can be very low down and edgehog at the same time. (This was possible in melee but the tether lasts much longer in brawl)

Top Bottom