• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamerzlivelounge Tournament - Sterling Heights, MI- 7/05/08 - SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
lets see, if i was playing and cant mortar slide..........

people would start complaining about grenades and tilts LOL

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Like Tony said, its not that I couldn't use it as much as I had to conciously force myself to not do it in the match. Not only that, but there were people standing behind me calling out whenever I did it by accident, too.

Yeah, great ruling.

Brutos

Smash Apprentice
Oh... I didn't know that Marth player was Ankoku. I do feel bad for you Panda. I'd be pissed too if I couldn't fly around with Rob. However, the competition was good and I was glad to loose to a player of that skill.

Edit: Ban or no ban I'll still come to the next tournament and I'll try to bring more people this time.

KhanSphere

Smash Cadet
I'm not getting dragged into the same complaint-fest the first thread was. BTW, I use Marth and Mario too, but I got bored of using them from last game so Ike is all I use now. Banning my character would be stupid, but I'd live.

"Hey Khan, does this judge's discretion thingy mean that if I ran a tournament, I could, say, ban Ike? I mean, nobody should really have a problem with it because Ike is a bad character. Some people, however, rely on a single character to win."

It's your tournament, do what you want. I have and play in these tournaments for fun and to get good at the game, not to have some false notion that everyone is impressed by my ability to use one trick over and over. People appreciate good matches, and glitching(because GLITCHES are completely unintentional, unlike CHARACTERS) doesn't contribute to variety in games. As we said before, if you rely solely on a tactic to win, this is not the tournament for you.

I haven't called any matches and I've only issued a warning about a single ******* move. As far as I'm concerned, people who have something against that have plenty of other options.

Brutos

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I was the asian that played Rob. I didn't know you were Ankoku lol.

Edit: I didn't mean to offend anyone with my last comment.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ah, okay. Not a bad ROB, just needed more lasers and less of the responding to my stuff in the same way. : )

VIDS!
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4841785#post4841785

Grand Finals - Needle of Juntah vs JKBuk
Game 1
Game 2

Loser's Finals - JKBuk vs Ankoku
Game 1
Game 2

Winner's Finals - JKBuk vs Needle of Juntah
Game 1
Game 2

Other Stuff
Kip vs Ankoku 1
Kip vs Ankoku 2
Kip vs Ankoku 3
Kip vs Khan 1
Kip vs Khan 2
Kip vs RoboticSithDrone 1
Kip vs RoboticSithDrone 2
Kip vs RoboticSithDrone 3
Needle of Juntah vs Ankoku 1
Needle of Juntah vs Ankoku 2

Friendlies
Needle of Juntah vs Dogma 1
Needle of Juntah vs Dogma 2
Needle of Juntah vs Dogma 3
Needle of Juntah vs Dogma 4
Needle of Juntah vs JCAv
Needle of Juntah vs Khan 1
Needle of Juntah vs Khan 2

I know that a bunch of the vids are desynched, leave a comment or tell me here if you find any that you want fixed and I'll reupload it.

Brutos

Smash Apprentice
I'll take that advice into consideration.

Edit: Thanks for the video uploads.

KhanSphere

Smash Cadet
Sweet matches so far. I really wanna watch the finals rounds. Can't wait till they're up.

Don't upload the one with me as Sonic vrs NoJ...it's embarrassing :D

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I've uploaded the games I get 2-stocked, so.... too bad : )

Besides, it's only friendlies. They never count when it comes to important things like showing skill or repping characters.

dingding

Smash Ace
khan ur the biggest scrub ever.. all i have to say..maybe if u think mortar slide is cheap.. LEARN TO GET AROUND IT.. u dont think.. u think something is cheap and u ban it... wdf is that.. if u dont like this guy 3 stocking ur best friend.. then u ban his character.. wdf is that.. think about it.. if u play snake.. and u love sliding across the stage... and some 1 banned it on u while u were playing u'd be pissed off too.. and mortar slide isn't even a glitch.. it takes skill to do it.. well kinda.. u need fast hands... glitchs are like u throw a gernade at some 1 and if it touchs them it blows up right away.. mortar slide is just pressing 2 buttons really fast.. this is really funny to me cause mortar slide isn't even that good lol.. ur dumb if u don't know how to get around it..k =P

Sliq

Smash Master
I love the feel of a huge black cock in my ass. When I'm not too busy being self righteous about how the game should be played, you'll find me blowing homeless people and murdering orphans. I feel that because it is MY tournament that I can do whatever I want, despite the fact the my tournament wouldn't exist if it weren't for the contestants.

In the future, I'll continue to cry about stupid inane bullshit and tell others what is the right way to play and what is and is not fair because I AM MY OWN PERSONAL GOD. Also, I fuck my dog in the ass anytime I can, because not being a fucking twat is a glitch and isn't how life was intended.

Also, I go to hospitals and give people AIDS by stabbing them with dirty needles because NOT having AIDS is NOT how life was intended.
I agree with this statement.

Drephen

Smash Master
lol banning a move mid-tournament (and mid-match) just cause you suck at the game and dont know how to get around it

if you were a good tournament host you would establish the rules beforehand and discuss with the rest of the community if you think there will be any arguments about it

in short.......................................get AIDS like sliq said

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
ankoku was there ?? lol wtf who where you? I guess probably the only dude that went sheik...

I wish I would have played you would have been interesting.
---

I also wish my match verse panda would have been recorded, I KO'd him with a nade for the final kill.
--

Anyways the turnout was pretty good, but it was unfortunate what happened to panda. Im not going to lie I dont think mortar sliding should be banned but theres no need to flame like 12 year olds about (come on copy pasting 10 flame images?). If we want to debate over it fine but when its all said and done it "his" tournament and ultimately his decision. No need throw hissy fits though.

and for the record noj pwned this tournament. hard.
---

Edit: a final point about the mortar slide, while banning the "smash boost" may be at least a little understandable, banning the slide after a dashattack connects is kind of different. I think panda tried explaining but, basically thats saying we cant upsmash after dash attack. Come on now not upsmashing after a dash attack? Many characters use that input, heck I use it as a diddy combo. To not allow snake something as simple as up smashing after connecting with a dash attack, just because he happens to slide with it, well that seems basically like just trying to nerf a character and not technique.

If we were to go across the board with it then I couldnt upsmash after a dash attack hits too? Now were just taking away from the game in itself.

Sliq

Smash Master
There is no debating. His rule, regardless of how stupid it is and regardless of whether or not anyone actually had a problem with it in the first place BESIDE him doesn't matter. He's a scrub and deserves no respect for being a complete tool.

Just imagine if he were the ref in the first basketball game where someone dunked. "That isn't how the game should be played! Despite the fact that you can DO it, and it breaks none of the rules, I am the beacon from which all basketball rules flow from, and not just a peon who blows at the sport to the point where I just REFEREE instead of effectively compete because I limit myself by making up bull**** rules."

Imagine if he was the ref for the first football game with passing. Same exact scenario. You know what happened? Passing was allowed, and people found counters to it. The game then became MUCH MORE DIVERSE AND INTERESTING because of this. Same thing with dunking in basketball.

It is the SAME EXACT FUCKING THING. But instead of promoting creativity or variance, let's punish it. Found a spiffy little trick? Too bad, regardless of how cool it is, or how cleverly it is used, you can;t use it.

Imagine someone invented a new color. Completely blows the mind of everyone everywhere. Then one artist that nobody has heard of, who isn't even good, holds an art contest and DQ's someone's painting because it contains that color, and forces them to enter a different painting that is less interesting.

This guy is a ****ing assclown, and I hope he gets crabs from using a public restroom. I hope he is camping out in the woods and is ***** by a bear, and his dick is gnawed off by a badger.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
BrawlBro, I was the Asian guy with the navy blue Isai "Don't Get Hit" T-shirt who played Marth and Sheik/Zelda with the tag "LOVE!" "sight" "↑↑↓↓" or "LUV?!" and placed third. Were you Mark Buckner? If you were, then we were on opposite ends of the bracket, lol.

KhanSphere

Smash Cadet
I'm not going to talk with people who act like *******es, I'd much rather discuss things either in person or on some sort of chat program. It's a lot harder to be a moron when the person is right there reading it or talking to you about it.

I'm certainly not going to discuss anything with a whining loser who is complaining even though he never went to the tournament, or a jerk who makes excuses for his failures and losses, blaming everything from the TV to the rules that HE COMPLAINED ABOUT BEFORE THE FIRST TOURNAMENT, but chose to ignore when he actually showed up.

I'm not changing the rule for a single person who refuses to adapt, and the tournament turnout continues to grow. I'm not doing it with selfish intentions because this is "my tournament", because I gain NOTHING from this. People continue to show support for the tournaments even through this "issue" because it's not a big deal to anyone else. It's a minor difference that is blown out of proportion by a single player. I NEVER EVEN PLAYED THE SNAKE IN QUESTION, or ANY SNAKE IN ANY OF MY MATCHES EVER. I certainly don't think it's a game-ending technique and if I came to any of your tournaments I wouldn't complain about your rulesets. Discussing the rules before a tournament is okay but the second it starts and you've come to it you've agreed to abide by it, even if it's "judge's discretion". If you don't like it NOONE IS DEMANDING THAT YOU COME.

If people want to talk about it without being failures then my AIM name is posted in one of the threads, as is my email. Hit me up.

Kyle will be back tomorrow. He agrees with my decision regarding it, and we're probably not going to touch that rule unless a real compelling argument comes up.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Okay. Have fun in your little slice of maligned idealism, then.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
yeah that was a pretty sad tourney BUT was still fun
i dont understand where all those people are during the bi weeklies.
but oh well, ill come back in august or september or whatever as long as Bair isnt banned
most those people who come to the biweeklies care about the rules, they wouldnt show up to a bogus tournament :laugh:...anything less than first wasnt even worth tha drive. infact the tournament host was first place with 50% of the pot, than 2nd place was the bracket winner with a whoopin 35% of the pot. awesome stuff.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
most those people who come to the biweeklies care about the rules, they wouldnt show up to a bogus tournament :laugh:...anything less than first wasnt even worth tha drive. infact the tournament host was first place with 50% of the pot, than 2nd place was the bracket winner with a whoopin 35% of the pot. awesome stuff.
Just like EVO2K8 amirite? All that's missing are stages like 75m and Final Smashes being on.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
It's a lot harder to be a moron when the person is right there reading it or talking to you about it.
I think you'll manage. ZING!

Oh, and if you think Sliq will have a hard time flaming you mercilessly in a chat program or in person, you obviously don't know Sliq very well. :laugh:

Addendum: Read this. You've probably seen it before and managed to let it go in one ear and out the other-- making you the kind of person who generally has no business telling anybody what does and does not go into a successful tournament scene:

http://www.sirlin.net/archive/playing-to-win-part-1/

Scrubs stifle the development of competitive play with arbitrary rules like yours. The only thing that should decide whether or not something should be banned is the game itself. Everything else is arbitrary.

Vayseth

Smash Master
The DAC:

The Dash Attack Cancel is done by hitting the control stick forward, followed by the down c-stick to do an instant dash attack (it's faster than hitting A after a dash), the dash attack is then canceled when you hit up and Z or up and A, allowing the character to stop their dash attack and do an up smash. This is no different than hitting with a dash attack and then hitting up smash on hit which cancels the dash attack automatically upon connecting the move on the opponent. The momentum from the dash attack is maintained while allowing the character to move forward while either charging an up smash or doing an up smash.

Character specifics:

Wario: Wario can perform the DAC out of many moves, especially his bite (neutral B attack) allowing for more damage and actual combos.

Link: Link is almost useless without this because it's how he can rack up damage. Some set ups include the Z-air attack, followed by a bomb, into the DAC for a 6 hit combo.

Falco: Falco can follow a DAC out of many things, namely his down throw to add damage to his arsenal.

Wolf: Wolf uses it in a variety of situations to continue juggles.

There are plenty more examples and every character can do it in the game. Some have super sliding ones like Snake, while some move a tiny distance like DDD.

This tech has many disadvantages, especially since you cannot stop the DAC once it has started. It's actually super easy to punish since you can just stand there and mash A and you will stop anyone just trying to spam it. The ONLY difference between this tactic and just dashing and hitting an up smash is because you carry the dash attack's momentum, and use the instant dash attack (forward and down c stick rather than dash and A or dash and up smash) the move comes out faster, allowing for combos. There is literally no reason to ban it, seeing as it gives no character an advantage over an other. Actually, it makes low tier garbage like Link actually PLAYABLE. So, in fact, it's not a cheap trick and DOES add depth to the game.

Videos:

1. The Art of Link by Izaw:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=V0u3sUOShcI
Demonstrates the uses of the DAC, and how it actually helps Link.

2. Near Frame Perfect Snakedashing by zjin
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=rUyVlILgjrQ
Video shows about how far you can DAC with Snake, as well as some nifty platform uses.

3. Re-Upload: Boost Smashing AKA Dash Attack Cancelled U-Smash
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Q2gfVEf0k
Original video which showed this discovery. It was posted by the Japanese, but taken down soon after and then reuploaded here. Shows various characters being able to use it and how far they can go.

4. Brawl Technique (JoJo and STKL)
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=e8_KR66O3GM
This video shows a couple obscure characters using it, and as you can see, the only difference between this and a running up smash is the move comes out faster.

There are more out there but, really, all it does is make lower tier characters better. Snake's is so obvious and slow that ANYONE IN THE GAME can punish him for doing it. If you watch any pro snakes, they only use it as a surprise approach, like any other character. Again, it's super punishable, and is only a faster dashing up smash that is very easy to do. It is not game breaking at all. If you have any good reasons for banning it, I'd like to know them.

Anther

Smash Champion
"It looks weird."
Yeah personally it's weird to ban an attack that doesn't end stocks, barely kills, and is more punishable than a standing usmash.

I feel that you were the jerk for badgering him during his match and disallowing a move for no real reason other than it looking weird and your assumptions that it wasn't intended Khan.

Vayseth

Smash Master
There's no real reason to badger the poor guy. I mean, calling a mod of smash boards and easily one of the top 5 smashes in the state a scrub and a whiner was probably not his best course of action, but we are all Michigan smashers, and we can all debate a topic with some sort of reasoning. All we can hope is that we provide the research and he changes his mind.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
We? I thought you quit smash for a while XD

And I don't count, it still boggles the mind that I can place third off of only playing Wifi with RoboticSithDrone and RyokoYaksa for like the past month. I play and improve in one of the Smash games, but it's not Brawl. : P

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
BrawlBro, I was the Asian guy with the navy blue Isai "Don't Get Hit" T-shirt who played Marth and Sheik/Zelda with the tag "LOVE!" "sight" "↑↑↓↓" or "LUV?!" and placed third. Were you Mark Buckner? If you were, then we were on opposite ends of the bracket, lol.
ya i was, why so many tags lol?

I watched your match verse that pikachu, good stuff.

I cant believe that thunder jolt spammer beat me:mad:, He got four over the top thunder kills at like 70%...... whatev no johns.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Gotta learn to DI and airdodge that ****. R TRIGGER BRAWLBRO! USE IT!!! O____________O

I wrote a bunch of random tags because I like messing around with them, lol. And yeah, the Pikachu loves spamming those thundershocks.... and running to the other side of the stage....

Vayseth

Smash Master
For someone who doesn't like whining or bad arguments, you sure seem to lack any sort of response when good arguments are posted.

ShardZ

Smash Cadet
Wow, I can't believe anyone bothered to go to this. Good to know khan is still complete trash as a human being. lol

Sliq

Smash Master
I'm not going to talk with people who act like *******es, I'd much rather discuss things either in person or on some sort of chat program. It's a lot harder to be a moron when the person is right there reading it or talking to you about it..
No, it isn't. As a matter of fact, I make it look pretty easy.

I'm certainly not going to discuss anything with a whining loser who is complaining even though he never went to the tournament.
Whiny loser. Good one. Learn to flame you ****ing dipshit. Your mom should've had an abortion.

or a jerk who makes excuses for his failures and losses, blaming everything from the TV to the rules that HE COMPLAINED ABOUT BEFORE THE FIRST TOURNAMENT, but chose to ignore when he actually showed up.
Yeah, god**** him for giving you the BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT. What a negative trait for a human to have; optimism. Fuck you.

I'm not changing the rule for a single person
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

who refuses to adapt, and the tournament turnout continues to grow.
Continues to grow? Wasn't this the first one?

Also, I highly doubt people are going to continue showing up since you impose arbitrary rules at your own whim, which is THE PROBLEM. IT isn't the thing you banned, it is the fact that YOU get to seemingly arbitrarily decide what is and isn't allowed MID MATCH.

That's like mid match deciding that their will be no more shielding. You know how many people are going to accidentally shield? EVERYONE. Why? BECAUSE IT IS INGRAINED INTO OUR PLAYSTYLE.

I'm not doing it with selfish intentions because this is "my tournament", because I gain NOTHING from this.
You don't have to deal with it when someone does it to you. How do you NOT gain **** from it? You don't play Snake. So you certainly don't LOSE anything from it, and it certainly isn't neutral.

People continue to show support for the tournaments even through this "issue" because it's not a big deal to anyone else..
Who are these people showing support? Would NO ONE be an accurate amount? And it IS a big deal to EVERYONE that you can shape the rules anyway you want whenever you want.

It's a minor difference that is blown out of proportion by a single player. I NEVER EVEN PLAYED THE SNAKE IN QUESTION, or ANY SNAKE IN ANY OF MY MATCHES EVER.
And now when you do you won't have to adapt to it. Crazy mad reasoning there fuckhead. And it is less about the technique and more so about how you banned something not even BROKEN, which leads me to believe you would be stupid enough to ban **** like Bowser's suicide throw. It isn't because you banned the technique, it is because you ARBITRARILY banned the technique just because YOU PERSONALLY felt that it wasn't right. If that isn't selfish, I don't know what is.

I certainly don't think it's a game-ending technique
And yet you banned it...WHY?

if I came to any of your tournaments I wouldn't complain about your rulesets.
You would if I sat behind you and banned **** that you did, you know, just because.

furthermore there wouldn't be anything to complain about at my tournament because I'm not a shithead who doesn't embrace failure as his own personal religion.

even if it's "judge's discretion". If you don't like it NOONE IS DEMANDING THAT YOU COME.
KhanSphere: he does it for the community by not listening to them and scoffing at them.

Bravo you fucktard. Bravo.

If people want to talk about it without being failures then my AIM name is posted in one of the threads, as is my email. Hit me up.
Because group discussion with the people attending the tournament would be outrageously ludicrous.

IKyle will be back tomorrow. He agrees with my decision regarding it, and we're probably not going to touch that rule unless a real compelling argument comes up.
Oh I see now. You and Kyle take turns fucking each other in the ass. I suppose I understand now.

You're a dickhead and I hope a meteor falls from the heavens and paralyzes you from the neck down.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Wow, Khansphere is a ******. You might as well ban techs in 3rd strike.

People appreciate good matches, and glitching(because GLITCHES are completely unintentional, unlike CHARACTERS) doesn't contribute to variety in games.
If anything, the inclusion of techniques and/or "glitches" only enhance the depth of the game, unless they are game breaking. Typically, they are not. I mean, look at the previous smash bros series or even the halo games. "Glitches" that are not cheap, that are not game breaking, and that anybody can do only make the game more competitive.

I'm not changing the rule for a single person who refuses to adapt
You're failing to adapt to both the DAC and... the competitive community.

I'm not doing it with selfish intentions because this is "my tournament", because I gain NOTHING from this. People continue to show support for the tournaments even through this "issue" because it's not a big deal to anyone else. It's a minor difference that is blown out of proportion by a single player. I NEVER EVEN PLAYED THE SNAKE IN QUESTION, or ANY SNAKE IN ANY OF MY MATCHES EVER. I certainly don't think it's a game-ending technique
so, what was the point in banning it to begin with? if spamming is what you're worried about, why are you even playing brawl?

I'd say a lot more, but I'm already reiterating what Sliq said... and he has already said it better than I ever could.

Also, Ankoku, you bought a shirt :D pix!

dingding

Smash Ace
LOL thats cause he's stupid for banning mortar slide.. no 1 wants to go to a tourney like this

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
KhanSphere, issues with your rules: They are not properly defined. You need to put up a CONCRETE explanation of what is banned and what is not. The crap you have in that picture is not enough. Other than you, nobody thinks of the mortar-dash that Snake does as a glitch. Every character has a variant of it. The problem here is that you took his money, let him play, and then after he'd done it a few times, arbitrarily decided it wasn't legal in your eyes despite popular opinion.

SamuraiPanda deserves a refund. Including this 50% pot cut. That must be one helluva expensive venue.

If there was lag on TVs, I'm assuming their LCDs? Use component cables to make it better.

D1

Banned via Administration
Vayseth, SleepyK, Firestorm88, and Sliq are made of logical win. Khan is definitely mean, if you expect bigger and better turnouts banning something every char can do...you got another thing comin...

...in other news you still play GNTEX2 Vay? Been a while since I've visited willvolution's forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom