• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Varia-ous Aggression - A Samus Combo Video

Hello hello. Fresh from the Pacific-Northwest, a Samus combo video!

Please enjoy!

Youtube

Hi-Q DL:

Filefront

Thread in Samus Discussion
Thread on MLG

*Thanks to everyone who's watched and commented :)

Also, if anyone would like constructive criticism on their Samus matches, drop by the Samus Discussion forums, we've got a great thread for players who want to get their Samus matches critiqued with helpful feedback to improve your game (Melee).

Here's the thread: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=132947

/yep.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
im now impressed and entertained.
lols at 2:56, 4:00, 4:53 , 5:54 also crazy **** at the end.
combo videos should be like this.
its entertaining.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins

Corigames

Smash Hero
And the award for most hours in the editing lab goes to...

No seriously, there was soo much extra **** in that video, it was hilarious. Every charge shot, every missile, every kick... lol. I wish I had someone with that much extra time to make my life like that.

Anyway, that was a great Samus. I can't really say that there was anything greatly beyond what I see everyday from mine, not to flatter myself or put you down or anything, but it was a good video. I have a real problem with saying, "Samus combo video," as Samus really doesn't "combo" in the literal sense. However, it was obvious that you were in control of the match during those clips, so your ability isn't in question. I would just be more inclind to call it an extreme gameplay video :D

In any case, I had fun watching it and will do so again as soon as I'm on a comp with internet and speakers... because I can assume the music is also lols.

And the award for most hours in the editing lab goes to...

No seriously, there was soo much extra **** in that video, it was hilarious. Every charge shot, every missile, every kick... lol. I wish I had someone with that much extra time to make my life like that.

Anyway, that was a great Samus. I can't really say that there was anything greatly beyond what I see everyday from mine, not to flatter myself or put you down or anything, but it was a good video. I have a real problem with saying, "Samus combo video," as Samus really doesn't "combo" in the literal sense. However, it was obvious that you were in control of the match during those clips, so your ability isn't in question. I would just be more inclind to call it an extreme gameplay video :D

In any case, I had fun watching it and will do so again as soon as I'm on a comp with internet and speakers... because I can assume the music is also lols.
You watched it without music?!?!!

Nooooooo

Music was like the most epic part :(

lol

Especially.. the missile to fsmash.

But thanks for watching. Everyone else too, thanks for the comments. :)

I'm planning on making another one that's a "missed combo" one... should be a humorous vid.

And coreygames, yeah - when I started out to make this, I decided not to do a "flashy" combo video because to me those kinds of combos were either something that a good player could have just gotten out of, even though it looks cool, or it was just luck. So even though you don't 'judge skill' on a combo video, I tried anyway to convey something that didn't make make me/people go "oh...er.....eh..that was cool..but.........the opponent....meh." Yeah. That, or stuff that just happened by luck and looks cool. Either way, yeah, I tried to provide solid clips that didn't happen too often, but still showed control, and possibly even an actual "combo" (if you look at some of those clips, the opponent doesn't have many options in some cases...)

(And the video, in its entirety, did take many hours of work...)

Mars-

Smash Champion
Lol that was good, I was expecting just another flashy samus combo video.

Lol@ the walk, all real samus players use that technique, althought I beleive it is only because our fingers get lazy from running and wavedashing everywhere.

Wow, wavedashed around the hitbox from downsmash, that is lucky, but impressive I must say.

I liked the synched fsmash to missile part lol.

Lol that was good, I was expecting just another flashy samus combo video.

Lol@ the walk, all real samus players use that technique, althought I beleive it is only because our fingers get lazy from running and wavedashing everywhere.

Wow, wavedashed around the hitbox from downsmash, that is lucky, but impressive I must say.

I liked the synched fsmash to missile part lol.
1. Yeah... no. :p
2. It's true. It's HugS main mindgame (or maybe it is just our fingers getting lazy... I mean Samus is sooo fast and technical...>_>)
3. Yeah that was luck lol. But I tried to recreate it again later on and found that it's not too hard - but try getting it off in an actual match :/
4. That's like my favorite part of the video, lol. B-b-b-b-b-b-baaaaaaaaaaby!

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Obviously the editing was amazing. The opening was hilarious, the song you stuck with worked perfectly, the moves synching with the music was great, having the attacks glow/flash was a very entertaining effect, and then the ending WTF YOU BROKE THE GAME.

The clips themselves were also really solid. Obviously a very west coast style Samus (do what's necessary to get the opponent off and keep them there, repeat), but with a bunch of entertaining finishers mixed in. Anything involving dair is great (my favorite move since the 64 haha), knocking people into missiles just feels SO GOOD, way offstage missile KO was sexy (I'm gonna start trying that in friendlies), and the bomb edgeguard on DK was silly (I consider silliness to be an important trait in Samus players).

The only "complaints" I have are really just style differences. I've never been a fan of standing missiles (if something stops me from moving for a long period of time, I usually avoid it), so those clips kind of irked me. But, they worked, so more power to you. Also, why dthrow on low % fox/falco/falcon? Upthrow leads into lots of guaranteed hits (any aerial, charge shot, missile, etc), but dthrow almost always lets them tech before you can get a hit in.

Again, those aren't really complaints, just questions/suggestions. I really can't complain about someone's combos "not working" when I have an all dair fest trailer XD.

and then the ending WTF YOU BROKE THE GAME.
lol. Uair-cancel DK64's platform-ledge to invincible fsmash wth? heh.

and the bomb edgeguard on DK was silly (I consider silliness to be an important trait in Samus players).
Heh, definitely. Plus when you can recover from pretty much anywhere, what do you have to be afraid of? Good to be a ltitle daring... and silly.

The only "complaints" I have are really just style differences. I've never been a fan of standing missiles (if something stops me from moving for a long period of time, I usually avoid it), so those clips kind of irked me. But, they worked, so more power to you.
Actually, the long DK64 missile clip kinda annoys me too lol.

lol explanation:
Reason I stood there in the first place is because when Samus shoots a missile while standing in the middle, it'll hit anyone who's hanging onto the ledge (of course...), but also I feel like I'm pretty keen about the barrel as well, so I think I stayed there to control two areas of the stage at once. When I charged the first Fsmash, I knew he had no choice but to hit it (from the range of Samus' Fsmash plus the waiting time in the barrel) or shoot out early, but he didn't have time to react (think ahead) so I got the Fsmash on him. Second time he shot out of the barrel I wanted to shoot him but was scared that he'd tech off something randomly or somehow be invincible while still shooting out of the barrel (>_>). Then when he landed I thought he might tech instantly and I'd miss the shot, or hit the incline in front of me, so I waited until he rolled and shot a little late, hitting his shield on accident. But by then I knew I'd get another Fsmash on him and it'd be over, or he'd jump to the edge and I'd DA him.

As for the second missile clip (on FD) I thought it'd just be funny to stand there and shoot missiles lol. Plus if I went in and Fsmashed him and screwed something up, I was afraid he'd just tech off the wall and up+b me or something.

An example of my not staying there and missile though would be the clip at 5:03 - I missile but then go after him and on accident, do my sex kick too late and get up+b'd.

As for following up with something cool to kill them with - well, the guys I play with are experts at DI and teching and meteor cancelling, so everytime I tried to kill them with a spike, or even a ledgehopped nair or just utilt when I could have just edgehogged... they'd find a way to get back on.

:/

The dairs I did get in that vid were either used for flashiness (the two dair clips at once), or were lucky (like hitting fox off the ledge and then dairing him, or they were on the peach player, who.. well... heh.

Also, why dthrow on low % fox/falco/falcon? Upthrow leads into lots of guaranteed hits (any aerial, charge shot, missile, etc), but dthrow almost always lets them tech before you can get a hit in.
True.

In the video I grabbed 5 times. Well, I did again at the very end of the video, where I'm jabbing Fox's shield, but I up-throw there to prove a point of up-throwing fast-fallers.

explanation again:
1st - was an up-throw. Ok good.
2nd - was a forward throw that was meant to be a dthrow to ftilt - but it didn't matter because I just wanted him off the stage anyway. You can ftilt at medium-ish percentages but it doesn't do much (unless you're at the edge).
3rd - I threw down. Fox was near 100% - high enough percentage that he'll bounce and I can get off him before he can tech. It was enough that I could get an Fsmash, andi I just wanted to get him off the edge, again.
4th - maybe a bit of luck, maybe not. At the time I was experimenting with dthrows to dtilts, so maybe he just missed his tech. Either way it was the perfect percentage for the dtilt jab dtilt fsmash combo. Same with the 5th one.
5th - clip at 5:43 - Falcon's at 18%. Dthrow gets him to 24%, enough for a jab interrupt to dsmash. So, I could have uthrowed to bair or something, but I was experimenting with keeping them close.

So basically it's, if they're near the ledge and thy're at medium-low percentage, dthrow to ftilt would be my choice. And if they're at high percents, dthrow to fsmash, because they'll have enough bounce.

Again, those aren't really complaints, just questions/suggestions. I really can't complain about someone's combos "not working" when I have an all dair fest trailer XD.
lol it is funny though. Why did you do that anyway haha... get bored much :p

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
very nice video, and the editing was more than cool xD
hahaha
keep it up ;D

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Best combo video i've seen in a long time, I urge everyone to download instead of stream it for the million special effects in there!

AIDS

Smash Lord
Good video man, your low tier game is very good. and lmao at the edits.
Had soem moments I lol'd so hard because of random crap, like the block Combo. haha

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
I really liked the effects, especially when charging up the Charge Shot. Very nice video.

500th post

Renth

Smash Hero
Incredible Job! I'm glad things like this are still being made.

Inspirational, I wish I hadn't lost all my combo footage when we wiped my comp's hard drive.
it's okay thomas, no one wants to see a combo video of you ****** me anyway =)

Incredible Job! I'm glad things like this are still being made.

Inspirational, I wish I hadn't lost all my combo footage when we wiped my comp's hard drive.
Yeah I still like watching Melee vids... but dang, sorry about your computer - that really sucks :( I know what you mean too - it's not much, but I had a tape of my most recent, best matches get erased before I even got to capture the video... sad day.

iNiGhTmAr3

Smash Apprentice
Sick video man. Really loved the editing and the combos were impressive.

The puns were hilarious too lol. :p

Alukard

Smash Hero
that video was sooo good to watch =]

first combo vid in a long time that i watched the whole 8 minutes of =]

The Phenom

Smash Lord
^AGREED^

If I could vote for this Combo video to be nominated as the best combo video of the year I would most likely...I don't think no one will match to how well done this video was made and the combos...

PS:As a huge NES/SNES/N64/MELEE; I really liked the DKC credits style...it doesn't hurt remembering those times if I see people such as yourself incorperating the past in the present; it won't die...
---------
CLASS OF 2009!!!

Matux

Smash Apprentice
5:45 made me lol. good vid but too many special effects. Some less, the video would be more enjoyable to watch.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Man. I can watch this forever. The effects are hilarious. I don't care who's against them. They're spectacular. When I saw that missle to fsmash or whatever, I nearly died.

Also, the intro and credits are to die for. Amazingly creative and original. Definitely my favorite combo video. (Sorry TAI!)

that video was sooo good to watch =]

first combo vid in a long time that i watched the whole 8 minutes of =]
Haha, thanks :)

^AGREED^

If I could vote for this Combo video to be nominated as the best combo video of the year I would most likely...I don't think no one will match to how well done this video was made and the combos...

PS:As a huge NES/SNES/N64/MELEE; I really liked the DKC credits style...it doesn't hurt remembering those times if I see people such as yourself incorperating the past in the present; it won't die...
Yeah! I had fun making the credits that way - I totally had myself set on using the DKC credits theme, and so naturally the idea of character intros came... thanks.

And haha, thanks Victra :D

Eggm

Smash Hero
I really liked it. No one uses rock music. :) I loved the effects and the syncing. Everyone DL the HQ version that made it even BETTER. Also I watched it loud cause I love that song, but that also made it better. Funny puns. xD

o shnap ... get @ me for reviving this thread XD

u owe me phil <3
haha. thanks :)

I'll mention you in my next combo vid: "Speshul thnx 2 Alookard 4 crapy xtendr mindgaems and bumping my thread"

You should make combo videos. Need someone to challenge itsbme
haha. I have 3-4 more in mind, actually, 3 of them which I have clips for already, I just need to put them together... but yeah. It's a long process. But seriously, going out of the way to incorporate House screenshots, and then record myself playing the Super Metroid intro theme... etc, lol - Takes a lot of time. And then going through all the footage - I estimate I spent a couple hundred hours on this video altogether.

***If you're interested in reading some thoughts/facts about this video (i.e. commentary), read on. Otherwise, skip the rest of this (possibly boring) post (heh). Warning: It's long.

(that'swhatshesaid
imeanwhut)

(tl;dr at bottom.)

Intro:

- Basically the first video I've ever made was the prototype to this vid, in which I used "tech n9ne - the rain" as the music, a really easy-to-synch-to-song, and I had a simple intro and simple ending, but used a bunch of crazy effects to see which ones worked and which didn't. I didn't get around to completely remaking the video until almost a year later... (which gave me time to think through stuff, actually).

- Like I mentioned above, I recorded the piano for the intro and the end myself (super metroid intro theme, spore spawn miniboss theme)

- House is one of my favorite shows ever, and I found it funny that the few times they show House playing a gameboy, he's either playing Metroid: Zero Mission or Metroid: Hunters - I had to include that into the video somehow. Another reason why that show rocks >_>

- The intro is a parody of the Super Metroid intro, if you couldn't tell, red text and all.

- I think puns can be really bad, and for me, the worse they are the funnier they are, so of course, I had to make as many metroid puns as possible. Plus I couldn't really come up with a title to the video...

- The fake studios I made up were images I had made in MSN messenger paint, MS paint, and Bryce 3D, since I wanted to do something silly like that. Mostly I just wanted to have an intro with something synched to a Tetris theme remix (I like tetris, it used to be an avatar I had for a long time).

- The "radio-style" music thing at the beginning was... a weird (dumb lol) idea to incoporate dumb music jokes I was trying to do i.e. Avril Lavigne - Sk8er Boi as your montage music. The rest of the music is just references to various things...

- Speaking of which, that whole transtition was kind of awkward, and the intro was long enough, so... had to move it along quickly.

Clips:

- I didn't want to have "flashy" clips in my montage that could be easily avoided, or were escapable, etc., but I ended up having some anyway. "Lucky" clips are always good though.

- That said, my least favorite clip is the one on DK64 with the missiles, because it's too long

- My two favorite clips are the double dair on DK64 on fox, and the really over-edited clip near the end against fox on FD, where it's like a "0-death" combo of short swd, grab hit dthrow dtilt jab dtilt reverse fsmash -- meteor

- I have about 31 clips in the video, plus random dairs, and only 5 of them don't end up with me killing the opponent (which is something to lean towards in a combo video, I'd think)

- Other than some of the missile clips, most of the clips don't have a lot of "down-time", which is good. Basically, less fighting, more comboing.

- I kind of wanted the video to be practical for people trying to learn. I think I accomplished something in that area...

- I like making fun of fox, i.e. woodland creature, but I made up for it by (you probably noticed it) inserting two audio clips from the game, the death (ship a'splode) fanfare, and then the "good luck!" voice effect.

Credits:

- I had like 5 different credits songs I wanted to use, but I chose the DKC theme because it flowed the best with the main song, and because I could do sweet character intros

- Actually, that whole idea was completely last minute and I ended up borrowing a vcr to use from the these girls next door because I didn't have one at the time... anyway.

- Yes, my tech skill with fox is lacking, which is why all I did was run, taunt, and up+b >_> (go samus players)

- All the tech clips at the end were also made last minute - I just decided I'd show some weird uair-platform-canceling tricks, and it was easiest to do on DK64 (it's possible to do on other stages as well...)... yeah.

- I had the Brawl clip in there for an inside joke with one of my special thanks people, and because I thought ROB spinning around was funny

- Yeah, the very last clip actually did happen that way. I had another error recorded actually, but this one was better, and I could only use one anyway...

Video-editing:

- Hardest part in making the video was definitely trying to synch the clips to like every part of the music (which I won't be doing next time, sheesh) while still trying to keep the flow organized how I wanted it to be

- If I could go back and change something, I'd fix that one clip in the middle and make the effects "better" (take away, change around, lessen)

- Since it was one of my first times making a video, pretty much everything was learned from scratch. So lens flare stuff, synching the fsmash to missile to the music, adding text and other effects... yeah. Some of the stuff I just found out by messing around with stuff, for example, the image in my signature - I went to Brawl, made Samus taunt, took a few screenshots of a few different poses, import to computer, crop, adjust contrast, lightning, add colored lens flare, add glow, darken image, etc., and oila... not-that-bad samus image.

- I got most of my ideas for editing from watching other combo vids/halo montages and saying "wow, that effect/transition/flow sucks, never use that" and "hey, i like the simplicity/ingenuity/creativeness of things here, let's incorporate that" and "well, so far I haven't seen someone use <idea>..."

- Even though the video is about 8 minutes long, only 4 minutes and 50 seconds of it is actually combo footage (lol) - the rest is the intro and credits (dang. Well I won't do that again...)

- I went through a few thousand songs a few different times before I finally settled upon, but that's because I don't have large selection of music in the first place... but I heard this one and was like "yeah, definitely." What I looked for in songs were places in the song where I could do cool synching (microsynching) tricks (like the fsmash to missile), and just multiple opportunites for synching, yet had opportunities for overall flow (macrosynching) as well (like the intro, the part in the middle right before a build-up, then the drum hits... etc), had a good pace, fast, and something upbeat. I could have gone with other songs though... for example, "Hey HugS..." the combo video has this pretty chill, not-upbeat song to it, but it does well for its mood. Or, itsbme's The King of Smash has Passing of the Blue Crown, a sweet mega man remix, but it's a song that just flows, and the clips don't have to synch to individual parts of the song. I think for my next montage I'm going to do something similar to that actually...

- Other ideas I had came from the individual clips and from thinking about how I could use the song - I like to treat each part of the song and each clip as an opportunity for creativity, yet not over-do it...

- My mom really likes the video >_>
<_<

- When it's like 2 in the morning, and I'm typing something out, I usually end up saying a lot more than I thought I would... oh wait... I just did...

TL;DR

I put a lot of effort into it and had a lot of little details with the sound, video, and editing, and it took a lot of time, and my mom likes the video.

bedtiem

milkieee

Smash Journeyman
juz to comment the vid. itself
In my opinion it's one of the best combo videos I've ever seen cuz it haz really nice editing, it's really entertaining, the scenes themselfs are really cool and nice to watch and the music is great

It's really impressive from the begining to the end really worth watching !! =)
keep on the good work dude !!

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
You should edit some combo videos for pros like Wobbles and Darkrain. They both need epic combo videos, and you'd def be the one to make it truly epic.

You should edit some combo videos for pros like Wobbles and Darkrain. They both need epic combo videos, and you'd def be the one to make it truly epic.
Hm...

I'd consider it, heh. I'll say this though, for those kinds of projects, working with someone else would be helpful (finding clips, etc), but yeah. Thanks. :)

Top Bottom