• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer vs. Marth

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Hey all you Marths, I come to you humbly for your help. You see, we at the Pokemon Trainer board have begun a Pokemon Type Chart of sorts to categorize PT's match ups in the game, POKEMON STYLE. And we've now begun our Pokedex Entry series, where we dedicate a thread to one character.

You guys are our fourth entry! It'd be great if any of you with experience playing decent PT's could analyze the match up? So we could get both sides of the story. My hope is that it will benefit both character discussion boards, when PT one day realizes his potential and gloriously rises from the depths of hell/bottom tier...

Finally, perhaps we could set up some 1v1s between the two boards? No better way to find out than to test it in game!

Here's our discussion on Marth:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=180620

my fc's in the sig, just add me and let me know and we can spar a bit. =]

thanks for the help guys!

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Marth's grab release ***** Squirtle.

Marth's offensive game/gimp game destroys Ivysaur.

Charizard is slow and an easy target for all of Marth's moves, eats a lot of counters.

Sorry if that sounded stupid, I don't play many Pokemon Trainers. If you want some more detailed information regarding the matchup, check out Emblem Lord's match up thread.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
It did sound stupid. Learn something about the character before you go shooting your mouth off, thanks.
Hey now, are you saying that what I said isn't true? It may not be detailed, but they are valid points. I posted the main reasons why Marth has a decent to huge advantage over the character.

Maybe you should learn something about Marth before shooting my points down.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure he was talking about Charizard, he's actually Not Slow, He's got Plenty of Quick Attacks, People Think he is Slow just because he's Fat.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
what's even worse, Charizard isn't even fat, he is just big, that is his only real achilies heel, and the lack of taking out enemies below you.

Shök

Smash Champion
Hey now, are you saying that what I said isn't true? It may not be detailed, but they are valid points. I posted the main reasons why Marth has a decent to huge advantage over the character.

Maybe you should learn something about Marth before shooting my points down.
OOOOHHHHH! Nice one, Anth0ny.

K.

Don't wanna be mean, but.

I do Play some PKMN Trainers, so...

Marth>>Squirtle.
Release Grab until about 56% and Tip F-Smash. :ohwell:

Marth>>Ivysaur.
Use DB until knocked off the stage and hit with a tipped Fair, reverse DS to grab the ledge and there you go. Stay there until Ivysaur uses up B and it will not sweetspot the edge. (Works on olimar too :)).

Marth>Charizard.
Recovery is also pretty bad, big target, moveset is somewhat predictable and slow, did I mention big targets are good for the Dair spike?

That's IMHO.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
Marth probaly has the hardest time with a smart charizard. All the Marths here know what their talking about its the special moves of charizrd that make him a threat IMO. >B charizard dosent flinch and Flame thrower to rack up % and space. But other than that Marth ***** n alot of ways. Thats it

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
^Counter the flamethrower, SH towards him, if he flamethrowers then use counter in the air followed by an Fair or Fsmash tipper.

And Marth grab release can destroy Squirtle.

Ivy is way too easy to gimp, once you knock him off he ain't getting back on that stage, hahahahaha.

But seriously, PT is a good matchup for Marth.

smit_ massacre

Smash Rookie
Ivysaur is a bad choice to use against Marth but he's still got some tricks.

Ivy's >B for instance can be used to create a good spacing game, especially if SH'd as well. A smart Marth can counter but projectile spam is a generally alright strategy to use with Ivy.

Ivy's fsmash is good in general, it can kill marth at high % as well.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
^Counter the flamethrower, SH towards him, if he flamethrowers then use counter in the air followed by an Fair or Fsmash tipper.

And Marth grab release can destroy Squirtle.

Ivy is way too easy to gimp, once you knock him off he ain't getting back on that stage, hahahahaha.

But seriously, PT is a good matchup for Marth.
Well it depends on the players style. Me against squritle is fairly easy. But I don't use the grab release stuff. I find it cheap in a way, characters like squirtle,Ness, N Lucas I fight reguraly instead of grab releasing to death to see the players skill in action. But as for the flamthrower. I know about countering it, I was saying if used up close then u have to DI away and take some damage from it. But other than that PT is fairly easy to kill.

Top Bottom