• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Only Marth can infinite Grab Lucas! ~

Ulevo

Smash Master
For those of you unaware of the current situation, Nessbounder has stated certain characters can grab Lucas and Ness in what is called a Release Grab, resulting in a severe disadvantage to them against a lot of characters. I am here to inform you that a lot of the information is false, and that Lucas is not doomed to be given the tier slap because of this.

Release Grab: Certain characters like Yoshi and Marth are capable of re-grabbing an opponent in place after being released from a grab without being thrown. Because certain characters have longer recovery animation when they break free from a grab, they are able to be re-grabbed again before they can defend, and damage is accumulated through attacks while being held in place.

NOTE: AGAINST NESS, THIS ONLY WORKS WITH THE FOLLOWING:

Marth, Squirtle, Charizard.

NOTE: AGAINST LUCAS, THIS ONLY WORKS WITH THE FOLLOWING:

Marth.

This DOES NOT work with Ivysaur, Bowser, DK, Wario, Lucas or Snake, like Nessbounder has stated.

I just tested this, and all it takes to get out of the ones that don't work is either DIing backwards, standard A combos, a simple spot dodge, or a combination of them. If you're relying on CPUs for your information, YOU WILL HAVE FALSE RESULTS.

That said, let's look at this is a reasonable manner. This works for essentially two characters on Ness: Marth, and PK Trainer, and only Marth can grab Lucas. So we have 3 characters, if you want to class Squirtle and Charizard seperately, able to infinitely grab 2, out of a cast of 39 characters total.

If you happen to be in a tournament setting and are stuck with this match up due to counter pick, it means that you have to avoid getting grabbed; something most melee veterans learned (and will STILL have to learn) to avoid well due to Ice Climbers alone. Not only that, but this does not mean the loss of a match, merely the loss of a stock provided the opponent can perform this properly and actually grab you. Most pros also main more than one character, so if a Marth is an opponet, or a PK Trainer as well in Ness's case, simply switch to another character.

I'm sorry to break this to everyone, but this won't be banned. King Dedede is far worse than this.

Levitas

the moon
You're neglecting that Marth can't actually infinite lucas. DI the break full away, and he'll have to dashgrab you, meaning that you'll move a bit. Meaning that eventually you'll run out of stage.

TheDownSyndromeKid

Smash Cadet
I've found that at about 50% in the Lucas/Marth standing CG, you can DI away and immediately jab combo him away. So there you go. Not an infinite.

As far as Ness goes....dunno, don't care about him.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Have you tested with dash grabs to be absolutely sure? I know this makes it not infinite but it can still rack up ridiculous damage and I've heard it works even with DI. Don't forget, even if you can DI away from the grab, some characters get free foward smashes or other moves against you.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I've found that at about 50% in the Lucas/Marth standing CG, you can DI away and immediately jab combo him away. So there you go. Not an infinite.

As far as Ness goes....dunno, don't care about him.
You're neglecting that Marth can't actually infinite lucas. DI the break full away, and he'll have to dashgrab you, meaning that you'll move a bit. Meaning that eventually you'll run out of stage.
False. Marth is able to re-grab Lucas, even if he DIs fully away from him after 20% or jabs, if the Marth mashes grab or precisely times it. I can do both, and it is inescapable. Not only does Marth not need to dash to re-grab, but Lucas could spot dodge in that time.

Have you tested with dash grabs to be absolutely sure? I know this makes it not infinite but it can still rack up ridiculous damage and I've heard it works even with DI. Don't forget, even if you can DI away from the grab, some characters get free foward smashes or other moves against you.
Some Release Grabs with certain Characters, such as Yoshi, require for the user to Dash Grab in order for them to work. However, with the ones Nessbounder has compiled, none of them work. Lucas and Ness are only vulnerable for a re-grab during their pull back animation, in which time you have a brief moment to grab them again. The only characters capable of doing this are ones with a fast, long grab, or Squirtle, who can slightly tilt forward and grab. Any other character who tries to run and grab will take to long, and they can spot dodge or defend by other means in that time.

Still an alright method for setting up for a free hit, so scoring KOs at higher percents would be a nice tech against these two, but it isn't an infinite through that means.

Levitas

the moon
Ulevo, fully DI away does escape a standing grab reliably against marth. That is true. I tested and have known that for more than a month, when Ankoku and I had tested it then. However, it still combos into dsmash.

KonoK

Smash Cadet
So basically we just need to stay away from Marth, or else we're going to hopelessly lose the match? Even if the Marth is really bad and only knows how to do this?

Steb

Smash Journeyman
Does this also mean things like Fox's up-smash or Pikachu's dash grab out of release grab doesn't work as NESSBOUNDER stated? Or are you just talking about INFINITE grabs?

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Why be afraid of Marth? I do realize if you get grabbed you're screwed (and it's likely you'll get grabbed several times in a game) but Marth and Ike can both be camped pretty indefinitely. I'd suggest using an alternate for the matchup...though if you are forced into a Marth vs Lucas match, don't fret.

Change your play drasticly and become defensive. Spam PKF as much as possible, and space him well. Keep him away from you. Play very few dodge-roll mindgames, instead play it safe.

A good Marth will probably get around this, but if you're a better Lucas there shouldn't be much to worry. It's dangerous, and it's deadly, but it's not necessarily game-winning unless you go into the match already thinking you've lost.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Well it's nice to know I stuffed up somehow in my testing. But I could have sworn that Wario and Lucas both had infinites on Ness. Oh well, I guess it IS hard to properly test DI while holding two controllers.

Thanks for your input, Ulevo!

However, the fact still stands that a lot of characters can chain-kill Ness and Lucas, specifically Marth and Bowser because of how low their grab slide is.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
What about Snake? He looked like his grab was pretty inifinite given the distance you have to fall before you touch the grouhd...

Ulevo

Smash Master
Ulevo, fully DI away does escape a standing grab reliably against marth. That is true. I tested and have known that for more than a month, when Ankoku and I had tested it then. However, it still combos into dsmash.
I unfortunately don't have any recording material. I'm actually thinking of picking up something so I can tube stuff. But I would be willing to argue your point. I am 99% positive Marth can infinite Lucas. After 21% like you (at least I believe it was you) stated, Lucas slides farther back. However, before he finishes sliding, he is hunched forward in a low stance. During that time, he is extended enough to be re-grabbed by Marth. If I were to Grab Lucas, hit him repeatedly, let him slide out and wait until he was in his standing animation, I could not grab him. That is true. But otherwise, if the Marth is fast and timed well, he can grab him before he is done sliding.

I've tried this multiple times on my friend who used Lucas, and he could not do a thing, DI or anything else. Feel free to prove me wrong, I would like you to. I'm just not convinced from what I have tested.

Also Nessbounder, I want it to be known that I did not make this thread to specifically single you out and state you were promoting false information. I'm sure you had good intentions. And I believe Bowser is not an infinite either, I've tested him too.

Fishcake56

Smash Cadet
Fishcake, this means there's a ~2% chance of any given dashgrab failing. 98% is fairly likely.
Of course, it is impractical to depend on tripping to save you once you have been caught in the infinite release grab, but it is something to watch out for in cases where dashing is required (especially since in these cases, the IRG requires so much dashing in the first place). Now people don't have to just rely on their opponent missing a grab; a gaming miracle will suffice. :)

Oh, and Levitas, where did you get that statistic for the trip rate? I would like to take a look at it and see how it affects other techniques that require dashing (dash-pivot-cancel comes to mind).

TheDownSyndromeKid

Smash Cadet
If I were to Grab Lucas, hit him repeatedly, let him slide out and wait until he was in his standing animation, I could not grab him. That is true. But otherwise, if the Marth is fast and timed well, he can grab him before he is done sliding.
As Lucas, starting at ~45%, I can fully DI away and slightly up and *immediately* jab when I touch the ground. If the Marth is trying to regrab, yes, it's long enough, but having to go the extra millimeters gives enough space for the jab to hit him out of it. If he goes for the fsmash, there is just enough time to throw up shield.

My friend has perfect timing as far as I can tell. The first few days he started doing this as Marth, I was extremely ticked off. But now it's a serious disadvantage, but not an immediate kill as so many people here still seem to think. All in all, this is not a matchup I want to get stuck in, but then again, it was that way before this nonsense started. Marth > Lucas.

Levitas

the moon
Fishcake, On another forum, someone did extensive testing by buffering a dash out of pause with all characters (must have taken forever), and found that it averaged out to be approx. 2%

Top Bottom