• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

strategy against aggressive opponents?

doC15

Smash Rookie
So last night I was brawling against wolf. This guy kept spamming his foward special at me(i think it was his foward special I have never played as wolf. It was the quick dash attack) until I was airborn off the ledge. He did a good job of edgeguarding me and I had difficulty getting back on the platform. What would you guys counter with against this? Shield grabbing? Shield grenades? I had a hard time pressuring him because he was doing most of the pressuring to me.

Scala

Smash Ace
You need to exploit Wolf's vulnerabilities more-- when wolf uses his over-B attack, he cannot do anything until he recovers on the ground. If you play snake, you should have the foresight to be able to predict Wolf's attack.
If he uses it right next to you: shield, and dash attack (mortarslide) as he is falling for free damage.
Other than that, you'll probably just have to air dodge and punish.

When you're fighting, stay closer to the ground so that he can't use this move.

Also, D-Smash mines will be rather useful if you play agressively. Wolf's attacks have quite a bit of lateral movement. If you can keep him occupied so that he doesn't destroy your mine with your laser, you can corner him even more.

Also, nade->shield combo will be useful for defending yourself while you set up your safe zone.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Woa I think you lucked out because I played a pretty good Wolf who was a lot less predictable. For a side-b spammer I'd just shield him and dash attack in his lag. If he's out of reach then just shield drop nades on/near places he'd land to give him second thoughts about spamming side-b and overall limiting his mobility for a brief period of time. Then it's your turn to be aggressive, but don't be reckless because his attacks are speedier than yours.

Most Wolfs who are really aggressive do a lot of shine->smashes and they work well against Snake because he's so slow. Wolf isn't as hard on small stages or FD with no obstructions, but he's a tricky one on stages with platforms (even Snake's beloved Battlefield) due to his great ability to camp. They just wait on the far side of the platform away from you, and camp with SH double blaster. This can force you to come at them, in which they wait until you're at optimal range to do a fsmash (Wolf's fsmash rushes him forward a good amount) so it can catch you when you don't expect it.

I just found myself forcing him out of camping with Nikita or cooked nades, then being really defensive when he started coming at me. It's really hard to go toe-to-toe with his shine->smashes, so I just take my time once he's on the offensive and wait for a chance to jab/tilt/grab to edgeguard with mortar/nikita. IMO it's a defensive match overall on Snake's part.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
Nice post rusty. In my opinion, Snake's at his best when played defensively, goading your opponent into making mistakes.

... Except that I play Snake offensively, in an in-your-face manner ... It says a lot about where I need to improve my game, lol.

Rabble2

Smash Rookie
against wolf i would use any aas or tilt combos and try to put a mine down whenever possible
a nakita will prevent his weak recovery from coming back
he can usually reflect your stuff and that might blow up in your face
i crawl underneath most shots and do his down tilt since wolf lacks a truly quick downward attack
shield grabs should help but only if you can throw him far away
dont use the freaking bdown against agressives especially 1on1, they'll just juggle you around.
when trying to recover from an edgeguard I short throw a grenade on the way down or us dair
also his dash attack should be kinda laggy so if you can sidestep it and follow up with the plain old combos you can get him out of your face

Top Bottom