• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
DYC is methodical. I don't even want to beat him.
Nah, I'll show up more frequently this game. Maybe I can catch up.
Actually, I'm out of school and unemployable, all my friends are away at college... I might have a shot at being good.

Upgrayyed, I'm not above slapping the controller out of your hand. It's part of the metagame.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
lol...maybe Brawl gives bonuses & victories for using the most orbs or landing on the most "?" spaces so it makes it fair and easy for everyone to be good and win!

DYC

Smash Champion
I said it will level the playing field a tad. I never said I will pwn you. It will probably be more easier for me to learn character knowledge and strategy than stuff like L-canceling. And since this game is new and a little different than melee, you will have to learn a small percentage of new aspects of the game. I of course will have to learn more but you have to emit that brawl has made it easier for new people to learn to become competitive.
I don't have to "emit" anything. Brawl has done absolutely nothing because it isn't even out yet. Melee didn't become the game it is today immediately at launch. For all we know there will be more difficult advanced techniques in Brawl than there are in Melee.

Charlie summed it up more succinctly than I would but the fact remains, you will indeed never be a competitive gamer if you only do what is easy. What separates people like us from people like you is that we are willing to learn the things that are necessary to become competitive.

Your pipe dreams of somehow becoming a "contender" just because Brawl has slightly changed the rules are ridiculous at best, tragic at worst. Ridiculous because it's silly to even think for a second that some slight change in the physics system will somehow make up for the years of experience with competitive gaming that the rest of us have. Tragic because no matter how much you hope that it will be different, the end result will be the same.

If L-cancelling was too hard for you then you simply don't have the stomach for competitive gaming . Hell, compared to many of the things people learn in competitive gaming L-Cancelling isn't even that hard. I'd hate to see you try to become competitive in any FPS game.

darkrain

Smash Ace
SUPER SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL TOURNEY THIS WEEKEND AT UMKC

When: Saturday @ 6pm
What: Singles and Doubles
Where: UMKC Cherry St. Dorm Basement
5030 cherry street
Kansas City, MO 64110

There will be an entry fee of 5 dollars per tournament. 5 for singles and 5 for doubles. This will help cover the cost of the Japanese Wii and Brawl. After the tournament there will be free-play all night long. BUT, you have to enter the tournament in order to take advantage. The friendlies after brawl will be arranged so that everyone gets there fair share of play time. We will rotate matches and winner will stay in for a maximum of three matches. Show up around 5 o'clock to sign up and get ready for the tournament.

Singles Rules
3 Stock
Double Elimination
All Characters Unlocked
No items
Random Stages:Battlefield, Final Destination, Luigi's Mansion, Frigate Orpheon, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Smashville, and Pokemon Stadium

Doubles Rules
3 stock
Double Elimination
All Characters Unlocked
Smash balls on medium setting
Random Stages: Same as above

Sorry to everyone who didn't get to play brawl last Saturday. We'll have the official copy of the game along with an official Japanese Wii this weekend. Remember to Bring your own trollers!

Jesi

Smash Ace
I'm Gonna Own You Alll Buah Hahahahhahaha w/ peach?, fox? falco? wolf?!!??! who knows :p but there will be blood !!!

David's the best bf in the whooole world! :D :D :D

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Just pick a John character. "What? Of course I lost! I play Yoshi!"
This is not why I'm playing Wario. Unless I lose.

But, for real. Brawl is currently looking easier than Melee. But, uh, it's easier for noobs and pros alike.

Dark: You should definitely make it 3 stock.

Cyrlous

Smash Apprentice
Hmmmm, that tourney sounds rather tempting...

However, since I've never played this game I know I would just get owned. But, it still might be a fun time. Argh, decisions decisions.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
omg...*checks my calendar*...if i dont have a crap ton of homework next weekend im totally coming to this and pwning you all with ivy i mean zss *hehe*

um just out of curiousity...will we be able to warm up at least once before actually playing a tourney match...

*edit again* homework permitting...jesi if u want i might be able to come friday and we can put together another batch of jungle juice :laugh:

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
No. No one gets any practice time with Brawl before the tournaments starts.
Each character can only be played by one player present. Decisions are made on a first-pay-first-pick, as well as a bribe system.
After this, the player has a responsibility to the crew and the community to main that character.

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
Counts me in d-rains!

I'm going to attempt Link once again!

BPG did you get the game downloaded and working and everything? If so congrats, I owe you a ZJ.

*snicker snicker*

Concerning Brawl, and other fighting games:

Seriously, some people got it in them to be good at reflex and methodical based fighting games, and some people don't. Also, practice with equally skilled, or higher skilled peers helps in the development of talent in a game. So when it comes to fighters you just gotta have the right mentality and reflexes. Not everyone has it, but that's not to say that kind of thing can't be developed. .

/shrug

I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse.
i helped my uncle jack off a horse

Capitalize
You silly man.

papermarkis

Smash Lord
So do we somehow already have this Japanese Wii and Japanese copy of Brawl? Because I don't want to end up being disappointed again...

But the thing about not getting to play the game before the tournament is that those that went to Pound 3 will have an advantage. Can those that didn't go just get a couple of matches in?

Also, as for which character I plan on playing here are some clues:

1. He wants to be the very best, like no one ever was.
2. To catch them is his real test, to train them is his cause.
3. He will travel across the land, searching for a wide.
4. Each of them, to understand, the power that's inside!

Echo

Smash Champion
So you guys are doing this the 23rd, then? Count me in.

I've already gotten to play for 2 nights before, and I've been tearing it up with Ness lol... anyone still open for doubles?

Cyrlous

Smash Apprentice
Aw crap, one person per character? First come/pay first pick? I'll have to get there early to pick Ness...

Jesi

Smash Ace
IMO, you should be able to pick whoever you want. but yeah everyone will be going in clean slated, this is kind of a casual tourney, i know people like to win but you won't really be winning anything.... lol just pride i guess. The entry fee is to cover the cost of the wii darkrain bought, which essentially is just a BRAWL MACHINE! lol This tournament is more of just, a way to introduce us to the next new level of smash, to experiment and HAVE FUN. :)

(teddy!)Bear mind it's only 5-10 bucks lol, plus we probably will do some pizza later. Sam cause your from STL it's okay to come early the drive is long I know so don't worry bout it. :)

It's a good time for a lil' bit of cash!

And it took me a long time to decide who to pick as a main character I doubt anyone will be able to do so on a like a few matches, but who knows... we are all still waiting for march 9th to make such heavy decisions prolly.... :p

Uli

Smash Champion
oh my, i might actually want to go to this instead of the lincoln tourny O.O

mike hit me up!!

darkrain

Smash Ace
Don't listen to BPS, he's just being a ****. You can pick whoever you want, and you can switch between characters all you want. If everyone wants to play the same character that is fine. Pick a character you like, that interests you, that is from your favorite game, or because they're top tier (*ahem* dmac). It doesn't really matter, we're here to have fun.

Also, you can play brawl from 5-6 AFTER registering for both events. Keep in mind its $10 total to enter both singles and teams, I've decided to throw in free pizza if enough people enter. So $10 gets you free-play, entrance to 2 events, and pizza. We'll only have one set-up so I'm gonna try and run this as efficiently as possible, there will be melee setups too if people still want to fire up some games.

....lol @ nebraska skipping their own tournament to come to KC.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
I'm kidding, guys. I have no control over this tournament. Even I wouldn't run it like that.
...It'd be coin mode.

linkw00t, What's a ZJ? A Z Job? Can you offer those?

Jesi

Smash Ace
hmm for the gazillionth time... :p

6627 E 15th Terr
KCMO 64126

go round to the back of the house to enter. :)

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Cyrlous, check out page 270. Dmac loves giving out other people's information on the internet.

Man, I watch this page too fiercely. Anybody know of any friends I can have?

EDIT: 200 post after 3 years

SuperProgamerX

Smash Rookie
Wassup everybody, this tournament is goin to be the shizzle, but I got a new jizzle workin saturdizzles again:( but im free sunday through wednesday if anyone wants to smash. And ill see if I can take pto for this, or just take two points and maybe get fired.

BTW Darkrain If you remember the fat black guy Josh from the gamestop on wesport rd he told me to tell you wassup.

papermarkis

Smash Lord
I know that fat black guy from the Gamestop on Westport! Cool guy, he took a break from working and put up a Melee set up to play with me and my Roommate one time. Yeah, BPS, if Ben doesn't come with me I'll be willing to team with you and do some cool team combinations.

DK and Diddy
Ness and Lucas
ROB and Mr. Game and Watch
Pokemon Trainer and another Pokemon
The possibilities are endless!

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
There are 1225 possibilities.

ROB and G&W: Hardware Heroes.
but, no. I will never play ROB and could never be on a team with him.

only1Z

Smash Champion
Currently watching this thread like a hawk...so interesting.

*Your other post reminded me of the DYC of yore, once spoken of in legends. Truly an honor to be graced by such a presence.

Cyrlous

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, if I can get someone to partner with me I'll enter both, but otherwise I'll just enter singles.

darkrain

Smash Ace
UPDATE ON THE BRAWL TOURNAMENT

Due to all the interest in the brawl tourney and Mprism stepping his game up I've decided to move the tourney to a bigger place. The barrio isn't going to be able to hold 30+ people.

New Location: UMKC Cherry St. Dorms Basement
5030 cherry street
Kansas City, MO 64110

This is the same place we hosted Event-52 a while back. Its in the basement of the dorms so Cups will check everyone in and direct you to the basement where the tournament is being held. Be there by 5pm so we can get this thing rolling. I updated my original post with the new address as well. Mprism I need to holla at you. IM me or something.

Top Bottom