• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Winnar's Doctor Mario Match-Up Mini-Guide!

Winnar

Smash Lord
Please note that I formatted this mini-guide so that you only have to read the parts that you need. Think of it as a catalog.

I understand you have better things to do than read every word I wrote, simply go to the part you need help with and I (along with various other smashers) will try to give you as much help as I can on that subject. If you feel that the section you need help with has too much information, try looking at the last sentence or paragraph; I try to summarize in that area.

If you feel that any information here is superfluous, lengthy, or confusing, PLEASE TELL ME. Help me help you.

~=~Table of Contents~=~​

• The Weight Problem
  • The Pills
  • The Blanket
  • Dash Attacks
  • A Quick Note on DI
  • Edgeguarding
  • Grab Game
  • Neutral-B/Egg Lay
  • Recovery
  • Shielding
  • Counter-Picking a Stage
  • A Quick Note on Edge Canceled Eggs

Before I begin, the reason I made this mini-guide is because I always hear everyone on the Yoshi Boards talking about how they don't actually have much experience with the Doctor Mario matchup. I may not be the best player, but I know what it's like to face a good Doctor Mario, and it's not fun if you don't know what you're doing. Hopefully this helps someone. D:

Oh, and I made a new topic for this rather than leave in the other thread where it seemed kind of hidden and out of place. Sorry for accidentally bumping the other thread. D:

~=~~=~~=~~=~:yoshi:~=~~=~~=~~=~

[Note: this was the original post] I feel your pain, man. I feel it so **** much. Between that ridiculous baseball slide dash attack, the pills, his tilts, the grabs (coupled with Yoshi's huge nose, Yoshi gets grabbed from places that counter logic), the freaking smashes, the blanket (to a lesser extent with Yoshi) the shffls...Doctor Mario is so gimpy. Worse than Fox (to me at least :( ).

Oh, and my brother mains as doc (and plays him almost exclusively). We aren't pro or anything, but we aren't nublets either. Anyway, all that said, let's get to the good part.

~=~The Weight Problem~=~​

Yoshi is fairly heavy and Doc is basically average, so you would think Yoshi would have the advantage in that area. In my opinion, he does not. Yoshi is just heavy enough to be tilt/shffl/grag combo'd up to 80% by a smart Doc and a Yoshi who has lost his double jump (or is stupid :p). On the flip side, Yoshi has very little in the way of juggling Doc. This has been, at the very least, my experience in this match up. In order to escape being juggled to such percents, smart DI, clever mindgames, and superb teching is necessary. Most of the juggling Doc does on Yoshi is inescapable by teching, though never miss an opportunity to tech; don't count on hitting the ground for a while, though (Oh, and pray you don't get knocked off the ledge). Let me reiterate how important the DI is. Without any DI by Yoshi, 80% combos are possible. With smart DI, the same combo would only last to about 20-30%. With poor DI, the same combo would end with a smash/f-air with a final % being around 100% in one combo string. DI. Smart. Please. For Yoshi's sake. DI like you feel Yoshi's pain. Anyway, to juggle the Doc, I dunno what to tell you. F-airs lead into n-airs and u-airs well, but not much is stringed after that. Egg Toss, perhaps? Careful with the Egg Toss, though; Doc's blanket comes out fast.

The biggest (and hardest) solution out of the weight problem is to either not leave yourself open or make yourself unpredictable. Depending on which you think you do better, play towards that strategy (or both, I suppose).

~=~The Pills~=~​

I find the pills to be predictable, probably because I see them so often, but they can be a huge hassle (and a stock) when used correctly. The real trick to pills is just getting the hang of how they work. If you're still getting the hang of how to deal with pills, here are some suggestions:

Wait it out. If there is no second pill on its way and you have the room, this is as good an option as any. Again, watch out for that second pill, because there are some killer accidental double pill combos.

Jump over it. Dangerous and tough to pull off, though has its merits, I suppose. You end up in an awkward position, though. Not recommended.

Run under it. They are insanely predictable, and chances are they were thrown from the air, making the chance of them touching you on the ground pretty low, especially if you know where they are. This one is good to follow up with a dash attack if they're in the air trying to pull another one, as for some reason, the Doc doesn't expect it. BE CAREFUL THOUGH, dash attacks are very risky at percentages below 50%, no matter where the Doc is.

Tilt or Jab it. This works beautifully in some situations, but poorly in others. There are four possible outcomes to trying to pull this off. (1) You tilt through the pill, canceling the pill out entirely while keeping the tilt. (2) You tilt/jab into the pill, but the pill hits you anyway, even if it makes that -klank- sound. (3) The tilt/jab cancels the pill, but the pill also cancels the tilt/jab. That sounds great in theory, but when this happens Yoshi (or any character) freezes for a couple of frames. This is often just enough time for Doc to have performed a variety of aerials or smashes, or at least reached you with them. I suppose this would set up for supershields nicely, but there are probably better ways. Also, I think that the hitbox still exists the frame before they cancel out, so if Doc is somehow right there where you tilted/jabbed, he will be caught in the tilt/jab. The lag from the hitbox cancel isn't monumental, it actually shortens the overall time a tilt/jab is out, but you don't have the benefit of letting the Doc run into your foot while you wait for the lag to subsist. (4) You miss the pill entirely and it nails you in the face. That's just what you get for trying to be fancy. Overall, not a bad option, just be sure never to use this more than twice in a row, and to only use this one when Doc is not near you.

N-air into it. Also not the best option, by the time you get to the Doc (if you even hit him) the n-air will be pretty weak. Note: The pill must be below Yoshi for the n-air to go through the pill. If the pill is horizontal to or above Yoshi during the n-air, Yoshi will be hit, and you will be combo'd. Don't say I didn't warn you.

F-air through it. Another iffy option. It has the priority to go through the pill and probably the next attack you're up against, but eh...it's not very practical to do, and you'll almost never hit the Doc as well as the pill.

B-air through it. Not the worst option, but I find the hitboxes of b-air to be unreliable and not helpful on Doc, so I usually just avoid the pill or...

Smash through it! This one is my favorite option, as the smash acts in the same way as a tilt in that the hitbox is there, but the lag is cancelled. Let me rephrase that: You can use a smash attack and not suffer from the lag. How beautiful does that sound? :D

Do NOT DJC through it. There are many reasons not to do this. More than once I've tried to absorb the hit with my DJC and throw a n-air afterwards, only to be met with a f-air, n-air, b-air...etc. You've now just taken something like 20% and lost your double jump, what were you thinking?! Also, it cancels the DJ at lower percents than Yoshi players (or at least I) would expect, which leaves you so vulnerable. So very, very vulnerable. Extra, avoidable percent is bad no matter what the reason. Didn't you read any of the bullets before this one?! Why are you taking unnecessary damage?!

Gea puts it best though:
You have to personally get comfy with pills.
[Update] Tested these options, edited accordingly.

~=~The Blanket~=~​

While the blanket doesn't gimp recovery for Yoshi like it does for other characters, it's still a nuisance. The biggest concern is as a mindgame for recovery and anti-juggling. When getting back onto the ledge, if the Doc sees/expects to be F-aired or D-aired, one hit from the blanket throws off aim completely. If you expect to be blanketed, you can just overshoot it, but once a strategy delves into reverse psychology, it quickly become less reliable than you think. Besides, a N-air would work just as well.

What I mean by anti-juggling is that the blanket works like Marth's side-B. Normally once the double jump has been exhausted the only two options are fall normally, fast fall, or airdodge. In any case a u-smash would do the trick (the dodge might work, but the lag could be at least followed up with something simple like a tilt). It's kind of tough to remember a fourth option (the blanket). It can get frustrating to be tricked into a smash, tilt, or whatever, but it's completely avoidable. Use attacks like a U-air (probably not DJC'd to make sure the coward eats some tail) or a late RDJC'd N-air. Or even a retreat by wavedash to F-smash. Just think about it before you throw what would in any other case be an instant U-tilt/smash/air.

Oh, and be careful with eggs, they're all fine and good if they hit the Doc, but they're easy to blanket back to you if he's close enough. One good mindgame to throw every now and then is that if the Doc seems to get blanket happy when you throw an egg, throw one to miss his blanket, then rush in and take him out during his lag. Be confident when doing this, and don't overuse it! NEVER ECE AGAINST DOC! It just isn't worth it. Not only are the regular concerns of SD'ing yourself still there, but now you have to worry about timing the ECE perfectly so that when he returns the egg it will explode during your invincible frames.

~=~Dash Attacks~=~​

The Doc's dash attack lasts very long (think Jigglypuff's side-B), normally can shield pierce, and sets up well for combos. Yoshi is immune to the shield pierce, but the only good to be had out of that would be a shield grab, which we all know is risky at best (more info in the Grab Game section). Yoshi's dash attack lasts very long and has uses of its own. The biggest two problems with Yoshi's dash attack are that it lasts so **** long that Doc can shield it and shffl a F-air in the time it takes to get past the lag. The other huge problem is that at percentages below 50%, the knockback is so weak that in most cases Doc can recover from his lag and grab you before you recover from your lag, and you were the one attacking! The best use for Yoshi's dash attack is as an edgeguard, but there are other, more general uses that you already use it for.

~=~A Quick Note on DI~=~​

This is should already a given, but if you're like me, you didn't realize that DI'ing away from the stage/attacker can sometimes get you out of a combo (or combo finisher). I know I sound like a nublet saying that, but when I realized this I felt I grew up a little. :o

[Update 1 starts here]

~=~Edgeguarding~=~​

Edgeguarding the Doc is harder than it seems. Dash attacks work somewhat well if it's either unexpected or the Doc misses that sweetspot (which shouldn't happen often). F-air is hard to pull off because, as I said earlier, a simple blanket will throw off your aim and leave you in a sort of disadvantageous place where now YOU are being edgeguarded against. D-air might work, but I have a hard time actually landing it. I would imagine it would be worth landing one, since the Doc's vertical recovery isn't too hot. Also, an up-B could potentially ruin your double jump at higher percents so he would drag you down as well. Maybe. The most advantageous way to go would probably be the simple, gimpy N-air. Throw it a little early, so he doesn't get much vertical knockback, just loses his double jump (and maybe his tornado recovery). I dunno, that's harder than it sounds. If you have to do some dash dancing mindgames to make him think you won't instant edgehog, do it. Just make sure you don't miss your chance to edgehog, because Doc has the uncanny ability to make you pay for it.

For the sweetspotting Doc, edgehog would be your best option, don't try to get fancy and F-air or D-air; the timing is too tricky. Take a minimalistic approach to the sweetspotter, if you can ever edgehog, do. Yoshi's instant edgehog is just too beautiful not to. Oh, and PLEASE save yourself the heartache and roll to continue edgehogging. Don't try to be fancy and just pop up normally because the Doc can grab the ledge longer than logic would lead you to believe.

Doc's a hard one to edgeguard, but a good edgeguard is key to the victory here. Don't take any chances, you've gotten Doc so close to his death. Finish him. Combo for show, edgeguard for dough.

Egg him, if he capes, then go fair him afterward cuz if he capes again he loses height. If he takes the hit, egg him again. I like to instant edgehog, then if it looks like he will try to get u, drop off the edge and bair him. Then DJ back up. It works all the time (usually), cuz bair beats his up b.
[Update] After trying this (and the variations found in burntsocks' other posts), I found that the n-air works much more consistently. Depending on the situation though, you may have to resort to a sock slap, so don't think I'm totally discounting it. Besides, who doesn't like the satisfaction of getting to yell "YOU JUST GOT SOCK SLAPPED, SON!" (Note: You must yell those words if you sock slap someone. Every word. With passion.)

One more time, because it can't be said enough: Don't try to be fancy, any time a simple edgehog will work, do it.

~=~Grab Game~=~​

I understand that Yoshi's grab is slow and has huge lag should you miss; the point here is not to miss, and honestly, it isn't that tough. Look at it this way, look at all of Doc's laggy moves. These can be shieldgrabbed by Yoshi. Even with such a slow start up grab. I know there aren't many out there, but moves like D-smash and Doc's dash attack are good to shieldgrab from every now and then. Same goes for the running grab. Just be on the lookout for times when you can grab, because it will be worth it if you pull it off.

The reason I say this is not because there's some kind of amazing combo you can automatically pull from grabbing the Doc (though at lower %'s you can go from U-throw/D-throw to U-smash, and from then on, pretty nicely), I say this because if you connect with every grab you throw, the Doc's game will be thrown off dramatically. Think about it. Chances are a Doc who is used to playing Yoshi will have gotten used to throwing laggy attacks and getting away with it. Let them know when they've crossed that line.

Oh, and if you grab someone, please for heaven's sake chew them once or twice at least. Every % you can get from a grab will make the risk even more worth taking.

~=~Neutral-B/Egg Lay~=~​

If you're like me, and you overuse certain moves like the RDJC N-air, you can stop being predictable very easily! Introducing...the RDJC Egg Lay!! :D :D :D

This move will instantly make your opponent regret shielding! It will make them think before they land whether they should shield or not, which is exactly what you want them to do. When your opponent no longer has to question whether or not to react in a certain way, you know you are doing something terribly wrong.

Options for when they are Egged:
(1) Egg lay them again! Though next to impossible to do more than once, it has its perks (such as looking awesome).
(2) B-air them in the egg as they fall! It may not hit every time, but it's easy percent if you connect even once. Plus, you can follow up with a U-air or N-air as they break free!
(3) D-air them in the egg as they fall! It may not hit every time, but it's easy percent if you connect even once. Honestly, I would recommend B-air since it comes out faster and is easier to connect/follow up with.
(4) U-air or N-air them in the egg as they fall! Maybe even twice! U-air would be better than N-air, but hey, if you really don't like B-air or U-air that much...
(5) Taunt! It may not help you (and may get you hit IRL), but it certainly was called for! (Please don't taunt during these precious moments of having them on the defensive. It was probably tough on Yoshi to eat, digest, create an egg for, and go through child birth in under a second, so please don't waste all that hard work with a pointless taunt.)

~=~Recovery~=~​

So recovering is fairly simple against Doc, just don't repeat yourself if possible. When coming from above mix it up between the sweetspot down-B edgegrab (use that sparingly, it's tough to get back from there to a place where you can turn the match around), falling normally (with an aerial, b-air, d-air, and n-air work best, though d-air has surprisingly low priority), fast-falling at the right moment (with an aerial probably), air dodge (not recommended, U-airs have very little lag, and most Docs can take advantage of your lag and aerial you anyway), and side-B to dodge that pesky f-air or u-air (if you see the Doc will make it to you on the stage before you pop out, feel free to double back at him, but only once!).

From below you can air dodge onto the stage from below (to avoid that n-air or whatever), you can up-B to sweetspot the edge (edgeguarders will eat you if you aren't careful, though), you can do an aerial just as you pass the edge (Kind of tricky to time, but a u-air or n-air can save you sometimes), you can just use the double jump to go through whatever they attack you with (beware your % though, F-airs are pesky in this respect as they can mess with you), or you can waveland onto the edge (I find this one especially useful because Yoshi seems easier to waveland with than any other character, for me at least. Also, be sure to follow up with a quick F-smash or U-smash your attacker once you waveland (presumably with them now closer to the edge).

[Update] So I was playing against the Doc today, and while recovering (from above) I came down with a neutral-B/egg lay, then jumped up and edgehogged the shocked Doc. It was probably situational, but I think it's a good example of not discounting the egg lay.

~=~Shielding~=~​

A good alternative to being hit? You probably already have your own strategies for shielding at this point, but if you don't, here are a few pointers. (1) Yoshi cannot jump out of his shield. I know, it sucks. (2) Yoshi's shieldgrab is horrendously slow. Chances are you will only make that mistake once. (3) Yoshi takes one more frame out of shield than all other characters; it sounds miniscule, but it always throws me off. (4) The only ways to instantly break out of your shield are to roll or spotdodge and let go of the shield button. Once you finish your roll/spotdodge, Yoshi can do any attack/dash/jump/wavedash/etc. instantly. (You can also supershield, but let's not worry about that for now, shall we?)

Oh, and here's some gracious input from a certain Gea:
Focus more on respacing than shielding. You are going to get faked out into grabs shielding when he approaches with a shffl. Or he'll do something like bair-> waveland as you roll -> smash. Or empty sh into double jump fair. It is way too easy to mess up a Yoshi that decides to take to his shield. Go for using your range and proirity over Doc.
~=~Counter-Picking a Stage~=~​

A good counterpick will both play to Yoshi's strengths and Doc's weaknesses. Let's take a look at some of those might be...

Yoshi's Strengths and Doc's Weaknesses in terms of stage choice:
~ Yoshi has much better vertical and horizontal recovery than the Doc (gimping aside).
~ Yoshi is heavier than Doc.
~ Yoshi can meteor. Doc cannot.
~ Yoshi is more maneuverable than Doc in the air.
~ Doc's projectiles work most effectively when fired from a distance.
~ Many of Doc's combos can be disrupted by platforms. That is to say, they hurt Doc more than Yoshi in this respect.

All of these seem to point to a stage that has large boundaries, has platforms, and has little room for Doc's pills.

As Gea puts it:
You can live longer than Doc can. No jokes. Play on Dreamland 64 sometime. Doc dies faster than EVERYONE there. Actually you might just wanna try and find one stage you really feel comfy with and use it as a counterpick. The more obscure the better.
Of course all of this sounds good on paper, but what it really comes down to is what stage you think you play best on. It might be Final Destination; it might be Dreamland; it could even be Kongo Jungle.

~=~A Quick Note on Edge Canceled Eggs~=~​

I personally do not recommend them. Whether facing Doc or Jigglypuff or whoever, I consider Edge Canceled Eggs (ECE's) to be a pointless gamble.

You might do 100 ECE's in a row, which would be more than impressive...until you mess up your attempt at 101, at which point you look like an idiot who killed himself trying to use a technique too difficult. Save yourself the embarrassment of killing yourself over a mundane 10%.

...IF you are too stubborn to give up ECE's because some guy on SmashBoards told you it will only lead you to your death, here are a few tips to cheating death.

(1) An overshot ECE leaves you slightly vulnerable. An undershot ECE leaves you dead. Overshoot.
(2) ECE's are addictive, and once you start landing eggs on your opponent, you won't want to stop. Take heed, the longer you drag out your ECE spree, the easier it is to either slip up and die or allow your opponent to catch you off guard.
(3) Don't go for an ECE if your opponent is about to hit you. The outcome is almost always this: You will lose your double jump and die.

There are TWO exceptions to my NO ECE'S rule

(1) If you are recovering from below and your opponent does not expect it, you can use your up-B to cancel out your jump, sweetspot the ledge, and hit your opponent with an egg. (BEWARE! Often your opponent had an aerial charging up anyway, so they may accidentally hit you. Also, it is easy to miss the ledge if you are out of practice, so again, overshoot if necessary. Just keep these risks in mind when going for the ECE sweetspot.)
(2) If you are on the stage and running toward the ledge, just before you run off the ledge, if you press up-B, you will fall off, grab the ledge, and pop off an egg. Essentially, you just performed a reverse ECE (RECE, and yes, I know there are other, much more dangerous ways to do this, but again, why put yourself in that much danger? :( ). Once again, beware the danger of pressing up-B too late, and following the egg to an early grave. Nothing quite kills an edgeguard like suicide.

...Okay, so maybe it wasn't a quick note, but it was important!

~=~~=~~=~~=~:yoshi:~=~~=~~=~~=~

*dies*

I know this mini-guide is too narrow (only one character matchup! D: ) to sticky, I may add more characters later. In the mean time, thanks Shiri for adding it to your stickied "Character Matchups" thread. <3

Also, I'll try to keep it updated with people's posts. Kind of...catalog them. Sort of. Right. Maybe. We'll see.

Sections to go:

Random updates when people start finally adding comments D:<

:yoshi:

Winnar

Smash Lord
<3 :D

I first read it as "WHY WOULD I WANT TO LINK THIS" XD

Whoops.

Oh right, any comments? You're the more experienced Yoshi player, any things there that don't really add up? Anything you might think is actually helpful? :o It might be helpful to know, because I was just kind of talking about each subject.

D

Deleted member

Thanks for quoting that. I call that, the sock slap (or the drop off the edge and bair). Anyways, u forgot the best way to beat pills, jabs. I think they go through, i hope they do or else i sound really dumb. Anyways, great anti doc guide (i should do one with link).

Winnar

Smash Lord
I suppose you're right about the jab thing. I meant to put it in, but I guess I forgot.

*adds it now*

Edit - Added, with my own spin.

D

Deleted member

Sock slap=pwnage *copywrited* *copywrited again* * Asks company to copywrite a third time* *gets slapped* *Plays doc and gets sock slapped* And, on topic, whenever try to grab agaisnt ANYBODY (unless its a noob friend or someone accedentally uses boozers down b) It generally doesnt work. Again, i dont ahve much doc experience so (sock slap works on most characters). *Loves the name "sock slap"*

Winnar

Smash Lord
XD I can tell.

Oh, I just remembered something in grabbing. It never works on someone who's usually airborne. Ever.

I mostly meant that if you notice a trend where they expect you to attack them or try to lower their shield or whatever, that'd be a good time to go for the grab instead. Maybe that's just because I'm impartial to the b-air, but it is not good for Doc. Doc is too small to be b-aired effectively. :( *has been my experience*

*sleeps*

D

Deleted member

HEHE, about the sock slap, i was kinda vague, u hafta do it a certain way. Ok hardest but best way is to press back and a from the ledge. Its sorta tough, cuz if u time it wrong u'll die, but this is the authentic way to do it. Ok, u can ledgehop and bair him as he is coming up. And u can jump from the ledge a little beforehe uses his up b, then di so that u land on solid ground, but your tail goes over the ledge. MMkay thats all.

Winnar

Smash Lord
So today I tested out a lot of my pill methods, and I'll completely have to revamp that. </3

Also, the sock slap isn't really applicable against Doctor Mario. In every situation I can think of where it would be helpful, a ledgehopped n-air or plain and simple edgehog would work better. I can understand it being very helpful against characters like Fox, Falco, and Marth, but not against Doc. :( Sorry

I stand firmly by my Egg Lay comments though. In fact I was recovering to the stage from the top corner, and I Egg Laid him as I came down, then jumped up to grab the ledge. He was so taken by surprise that he completely forgot to try to get out so he died :O I wuz happy lulz.

*updates the pill section...later :(*

D

Deleted member

So today I tested out a lot of my pill methods, and I'll completely have to revamp that. </3

Also, the sock slap isn't really applicable against Doctor Mario. In every situation I can think of where it would be helpful, a ledgehopped n-air or plain and simple edgehog would work better. I can understand it being very helpful against characters like Fox, Falco, and Marth, but not against Doc. :( Sorry
Well heres the thing. Mainly what i do is edgehog a bit early, so that, if they arent stupid, they will try and hit u with their up b. Thats when u use the sock slap. Doc probably isnt the best person to use it on, but it works nonetheless. Try it (of course, mix up your edgeguards too).

Im confident the sock slap will catch on :p

Winnar

Smash Lord
The thing about using the sock slap on Doc's up-B is that Yoshi's B-air has about a 50% chance of connecting with the Doc. The other 50% of the time, Doc will just plow on through you. In this case, a n-air would work the same way, but it would be more consistent.

*sticks with the n-air in Doc's case*

D

Deleted member

The thing about using the sock slap on Doc's up-B is that Yoshi's B-air has about a 50% chance of connecting with the Doc. The other 50% of the time, Doc will just plow on through you. In this case, a n-air would work the same way, but it would be more consistent.

*sticks with the n-air in Doc's case*
Eh, u have a point though id say more than 50 percent. Ohh well, at least the term "sock slap" is catching on (mostly becuz people dont wanna type the whole thing out". Remember, if u pull it off on someone, yell "SOCK SLAPPED SON!" And then laugh at them.

Winnar

Smash Lord
XD Will do, though it'll probably get some weird looks. Hey, it's their fault for being sock slapped :D

And would you other Yoshi's put some comments in here? D: It's just me and Burntsocks. You don't have to read the whole thing, just look at a section you find interesting (unless it's all boring to you :p) and comment about it. I could use some feedback. D:

Gea

Smash Master
Okay, a few things:

1. You shouldn't have to worry about Doc's dash attack EVER. Its WAY slow and punishable. At low %s I bet you could CC dsmash it or just wavedash backwards into the fsmash. Seriously. Hell, I bet dtilt owns it as well.

2. Speaking of dtilt, dtilt owns Doc's ground approach if you are careful with spacing. Doc's greatest range is his ftilt and chances are you can outspace into a dtilt faster than he can space himself into the ftilt.

3. Dtilt near the edge (then again if he tries to double jump) = gimp kill. Doc's recovery sucks. Honestly you should just be able to edgehog every time for a kill... or if he's coming in high (which is the ONLY alternative to Doc, I mean by seeing how high up he will be coming to the stage...) dtilt/fsmash.

4. CCing dsmashes or just dsmash in general ***** Doc because Doc has terrible horizontal recovery. Look at it this way... Doc LOVES his dsmash. So much. He'll be crouch cancelling as he eats your dsmash and he slides off of the stage and just dies/ gets edgehogged.

5. You have to personally get comfy with pills. If you are waiting on my pills I am going to just spam them and force your approach and probably fulljump dair -> bair -> grab when you get close.

6. If the stage is small (battlefield or the like) keep moving on the platforms. Once you are under Doc he generally has problems.

7. Don't get grabbed. Seriously. That's like a free fsmash/fair/chainthrow/combo for him. Easier said than done but hey.

8. Focus more on respacing than shielding. You are going to get faked out into grabs shielding when he approaches with a shffl. Or he'll do something like bair-> waveland as you roll -> smash. Or empty sh into double jump fair. It is way too easy to mess up a Yoshi that decides to take to his shield. Go for using your range and proirity over Doc.

9. You can live longer than Doc can. No jokes. Play on Dreamland 64 sometime. Doc dies faster than EVERYONE there. Actually you might just wanna try and find one stage you really feel comfy with and use it as a counterpick. The more obscure the better.

10. If you get grabbed, really really try to tap out if you are at 40% and below. Become a madman on that controller. Otherwise DI towards platforms. If there are none, try your best to DI so he cannot get a killmove in. Sometimes you can barely DJ and let the extra weight save you.

That's my advice.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Gea, you sound like you don't DI up a lot. When I play Doc, I DI up even while d-smashing. I think you're underestimating Doc's recovery potential with good DI.

Otherwise, I agree with your points.

Haven't had the opportunity to read the guide yet though...

Winnar

Smash Lord
Gea: First off, thank you Gea for taking the time to read and comment (ten of them! :D) about my mini-guide. Once I get the time (or maybe I have enough time to do it now) I'll edit the guide to incorporate your pointers from "the other side."

I suppose the simplest way to respond would be in your numbered format. So then, responding to comment...

1. The Doc I play uses the dash attack (admittedly less than he used to now that he can't shield pierce), but he uses it in the same way I use shield grabs: as an easy way to punish a laggy attack. So really, he hardly ever has to worry about dealing with the lag of missing because he makes it a point not to miss. I do agree that there are better retaliations than a shieldgrab, but sometimes the situation leaves little choice.

2. Again, the Doc I play against doesn't take much of a ground approach. He's usually doing some kind of aerial (which I try to punish with whenever possible, but Doc's so fast sometimes!) to approach, so the d-tilt usually misses and leaves me in a very bad place. Even if the d-tilt connects, he's almost guaranteed to tech out of my reach (he was going to L-cancel anyway) and the only benefit I've gotten out of the exchange is about 6% more for the Doc. That's part of why I don't use the d-tilt as much as the rest of SmashBoards seems to.

3. D-tilt doesn't really work well as an edgeguard, honestly. Well, it doesn't work well against Doctor Mario. Only one situation really comes to mind where a simple edgehog or n-air wouldn't work better, and that's if you know the Doc will try to land from below onto the stage. That wouldn't really work well, either though, because then the Doc would just wait it out and sweetspot the ledge. Am I missing something here?

4. Heh, I hate to bring the Doc I play against into this again, but he isn't really the d-smash spammer you're making him out to be. He does use it, but warily, since he knows the consequences of missing with a laggy attack. I suppose (for the Yoshi) crouch canceling into a d-smash would work well at lower percents, but that's risky as well, because the two biggest approaches I see Doc use are the f-air and n-air, both dangerous to any CCer.

5. I totally agree here; pills are something everyone has to get comfortable with on their own. I was just listing the strategies/suggestions I usually use to get through them.

6. I'm not completely sure what you mean here. Keep on the move? I do agree, though, that there isn't much for a Doc to do when he's above Yoshi and there's a platform in the way of a falling aerial.

7. Agreed. Grabs = Game winner for Doc. At low and mid %'s it's a free smash on Yoshi, and at higher %'s (usually on smaller stages) the b-air is a free KO, unless the Yoshi is very good at smash DI (and even then...).

8. Oh yeah, that's right. I should add that in the guide >.>

9. I prefer Jungle Japes. For some reason, wavelanding is insanely easy to do there (for me, at least).

10. Sounds like good advice to me.

And that's what I have to say on that :D

Bringer: That's been my experience with Doc's as well, when they DI right it takes ridiculously high percents to knock that stock off.

Also, you don't have to read the whole thing <_< Or I guess any of it, if you don't want to. I just figured that with the breadth of collective knowledge from the world's best smashers, together we could come up with one hell of a plan for fighting Doctor Mario, or Fox, or whoever someone is having trouble with. </romanticism>

Gea

Smash Master
Gea, you sound like you don't DI up a lot. When I play Doc, I DI up even while d-smashing. I think you're underestimating Doc's recovery potential with good DI.
No. Doc can make it back a long *** way, but I don't think you main Doc. Hahaha. He has the worst recovery in the game, no joke. Even with good DI, many attacks will leave you with one option, sweetspotting, which can just be edgehogged. Seriously. Even if you DI everything up into the corner every time, you'll just die to a hog more than likely.

It works like this: You get to roughly 100-150% and get hit off of the stage with great DI. They stand by the edge so you aren't going to barely overshoot the ledge and land on the stage. You slowly nado (or save it for the edgehog staller) cape, double jump, and then they grab the edge. By now you are spaced for the edge and just die. If you get hit by anything after your double jump, you die.

I'm not saying "lol Doc is gonna die from that attack before pichu" so much as "****, Doc's recovery forces him to be easily edgeguarded, combined with the fact he goes pitifully far means he basically gets one chance back at the edge."

Even Falco has more mixup on recovery than Doc does.

1. I don't see what he is using dash attack to punish. It is too slow. Even if you whiffed an fsmash there are better options than trying to space a dash attack to follow up. Are Yoshi players in general fearful of his dash attack? Wavedash back and do whatever the hell you want. He should be punishing you with grabs, fairs, or smashes.

2.Alright basically you want to avoid challenging his aerial with your own. Keeping a level head on your Yoshi and letting him approach solves this issue. Yes, he might start the pillspam and force approach but if you are just close enough he should know better not to pill.

So he comes in for the nair. Wavedash back and punish. Doc is not Fox. His shffls are not THAT fast. If he starts laying down empty shffls to waveland back, try wavesmashing forward instead. If dtilt connects and you know he is teching backwards, try to follow up with a dash attack or an eggtoss.

Yoshi's dtilt is pretty fast and wavedashing backwards into it only sets up for punish on stages where teching backwards doesn't leave you enough room to do anything. Even then if he starts faking out that's when you start taking the risk and nairing towards him, or fullhop fluttering. Anything.

The important aspect of this matchup is to play your range. Doc's range is balls and he can't afford to trade hits. The other important aspect is to bait him properly so you can play your range. Keep enough distance that you can punish him using pills but not so close that he can wavedash grab/jab/whatever. Try to lead him to platforms then get under him.

3. It should be (fairly) obvious if the Doc is going to recover onto the stage or not. If he does come in high, you can try nairing him but since Yoshi has only his first jump to try and get to Doc it can be too close to the stage and Doc might risk Up + Bing through you. I would. Doc has great snap to the edge.

But all it really takes is him coming in a little too high and its over. If he doesn't, hog. There is only one exception I can think of and that is when he is high enough to throw pills and bait you off of the edge. My suggestion? Hmm... I don't play Yoshi but I'd guess bair him then grab the edge.

4. Wow, then the Doc you play with is rare. Dsmash is a great followup to aerials, jabs, throws, or just on its own. Low % bairs/nairs/dairs/uairs, hell, even fairs if its REALLY low chain with dsmash for a nice chunk. Jab jab downsmash is staple and dsmash is his most reliable smash by far. He should be nair-> dsmashing you.

Seriously. I don't know why you even bring up Doc fairing to approach. It is a slow attack that when approached with often only leads to punishment. It has its place but is rarely seen outside of setups or a shffl fakeout. Otherwise just abuse the lag. He can't even FF it right away or it doesn't come out.

6. Keeping your Yoshi mobile on platformed stages is key to not allowing a Doc to feel like he can pill. Yoshi actually makes better use of platforms than Doc generally does, so use them. Doc also hates the platforms on dreamland (they are too high to be easy access for him on the ground, then he hates people below him).

As for Japes... uhhh that is the one stage I say to not face a Doc on unless you are confident he sucks at Japes. Japes is totally my all-purpose counterpick (barring a few characters) for a few reasons.

1. Pills are great, you get pills easily to any part of the stage and camp one side against many, many characters. If Yoshi tries to camp the sides I can shorthop-pill near the edge of the main platform and it bounces to you. I can even reach the middle area's platform from the sides.

2. Doc is short and is less likely to have his legs snagged by claptraps. Yoshi really doesn't have this problem either.

3. Doc always has to DI up and the water rarely kills him when he could have made it back otherwise. (Plus he has great snap, important for this stage)

4. Bair is nifty for getting people to where the water hits them and starts the sweep

5 The tall ceiling helps him live longer while in general Doc's KOs tend to be horizontal. Fair does become somewhat KO-less in this stage but with bair and dsmash only getting better here, I find the stage all around awesome.

What's Yoshi get on Japes? I'm curious.

Gea

Smash Master
Wait.

Doc is hard enough to get his own thread.?

SWEET.
That's what I thought when I saw this, hahaha. Then I read "Doc is just too fast" and was glee-filled once again. We get so hung up from Ganon->up that I think we forget non-upper/top characters... may actually fear us. :chuckle:

Winnar

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if I should be insulted or what.

My brother mains as Doc, and since he's the only (decent) smasher I get to play consistently, I figured Doc would be a better choice to make a guide on than, say, Ness. Besides, there hasn't been much discussion between these two characters as far as I can tell.

Every character is good if the player is good, don't get so wrapped up in the tier list. ._.

Besides, these are just my observations after having played against my brother for years. I'm not the leading expert or whatever, I'm just a guy trying to help.

And what about the tornado for recovery? You completely seemed to have ignored it.

Doc's recovery forces him to be easily edgeguarded, combined with the fact he goes pitifully far means he basically gets one chance back at the edge.
<_< Most of that comment applies to Yoshi as well (if not more in most cases).

And yes, my brother plays a very rare Doc, so it's hard to pick out what MOST Doc's do versus what MY Doc does (even though his way does work, usually, somehow). Maybe I wasn't the right one to write this guide after all. ¬_¬

I might post more comments later on your post, but for now I'll just say that the dash and f-air must not be as bad as you're letting on, because whenever I see them they seem to work for him. Oh, and I did mean f-air as a normal approach. It's more an in-the-fray finisher.

And you seem to be putting a LOT of emphasis on reaction with wavedash. Like, in very unrealistic conditions, at least for me. When I see Doc short hop towards me, it's all fine and good to wavedash back to f-smash, until you find out he was faking you out and double jumping into a n-air (by now charged up). A wavedash is all fine and good to get out of there, but going straight into the f-smash or d-tilt will only work half the time.

And before I forget, he doesn't always tech backwards, I was just using that as an example of times when the d-tilt has wasted your time. The point is that Doc (or anyone) has a huge range of motion if they tech, and Doc's tech is pretty fast (once again, correct me if I'm wrong).

Er, I meant the stage with the rock on the left (Raging Rapids? Why can't I remember its name?) >.> On Japes there are 6 ledges, two of which are easily reverse ECE'd into. I wouldn't recommend Jungle Japes for Yoshi against Doc, personally.

I changed my mind and talked about your entire post (at least, I think I did).

But seriously, was that an insult? or a snide, elitist remark? Or what? Because I kind of feel trolled right now. ._. "Fear" isn't exactly the terminology I would use; I'm more annoyed with Doc than afraid of him. o.o "Fear," or rather, anxiety is something I would use to describe going up against some big names like Ken, ChuDat, and Mew2King (to name only three). Notice how it's not their characters, but the players that make me nervous. Marth annoys me. Ice Climbers annoy (and amaze) me. Doc annoys me. You know?

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that while I appreciate your help, what you're basically doing is shouting "THE USA ROCKS" while standing in the UK. Revel in your greatness in your own home.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: **pats Winnar on the head** It's okay, mang. They didn't mean it like that.

And if they did, I'm probably covering for them. Anyway, don't take it to heart--it's the throes of discussion when posters come into a board where the atmosphere is different.

To be on topic (I try to do this as much as possible, I promise), I think this match comes down to whoever can be more annoying. I honestly think the only characters that fear Doctor Mario are Pichu and Falco. Everyone else just has to deal with spam, some difficult combos/juggles, and cheap tricks. No different here. Gay grabs and pills form the majority of the offense. I don't have any offensive advice as I lose to the most terrible Doctor Mario players when I pick Yoshi, so I'll just say pick Peach and play gay, LOL.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I know I can more than likely beat Doc if I play as Marth (lulz), that's not the point. The point is that if you want to try it as Yoshi (friendly, ambitious tournament player, or otherwise), these are some pointers.

And I know it probably wasn't said to mean how I took it; but honestly, who's fault is that? I can understand if you and I were talking about how much better Yoshi is than Doc, and they happened to come in to take Doc's side, but it just seemed very unprovoked and uncalled for. </cries>

Gea

Smash Master
Peach > Doc a million times over. I think that matchup is probably Doc's worst.

But you have to understand Winnar, that Doc is right under all the characters that do have something "cheap." Doc is where it really ends. Bair? Ha! Cape? Lawls, you get more KOs with Bair than the Cape. Fair? Seems pretty crappy in comparison to Falcon's/Ganon's for KOing.

Recovery? Lawls only the worst. The fact of the matter is that as far as we go being Doc players, it is REALLY unusual for us to have anyone have too much trouble with us. Imagine if you went to a forum and the forum was going, "Oh snaps, Yoshi eats me alive." You would probably go, "... Yoshi? I mean you can win with Yoshi but... wow."

Of course everything is situational, but then you are asking for solutions that always work? Not going to happen. I'm telling you though, to be very defensive (while being fairly close) and abuse your range. That's really it, and really all there is to it. Doc doesn't have WHOAMG combos (rarely and they happen, but most characters can get out) or anything that can be abused. He has stuff right below that level, and falls in average in all other catagories. Doc is pretty easy to tech-chase because his roll doesn't really go all that far.

I'm telling you this from playing some of the best Yoshi's out there (**** if I can remember his name off the top of my head, he plays with Isai). And this is really how you do it. It works. It works well.

Fair does work as a sporratic move, because you really don't predict it and the timing is strange... but wow, it really does sound like you are having troubles iwth moves you shouldn't. Can you get vids at all? I can totally help you. Otherwise, just seriously, take what I say with a tiny grain of salt and try it all out.

Oh, and it isn't about getting wrapped up in the tier list, but hahaha its about matchups. When's the last time you heard of a character in which Doc "slays them"? You have legendary matchups like Fox/Jiggs Link/Marth, but never one for Doc. Doc doesn't utterly dominate ANY matches except MAYBE Pika and that's because of the really easy chainthrow. Otherwise yes, he has matchups in his favor but seriously...

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol @ Doc's complaining about their matchups in a Yoshi forum.

In all seriousness though, Doc is a tough matchup for Yoshi, and I would say mostly because you can't combo him properly. When I play against Doc, I do exactly what Gea says, play defensively. I have to pull every trick I have though, and even then I can barely combo him more than a few moves. Doc outranges Yoshi in most aspects, has faster attacks and has fantastic shield games he can pull. Yoshi on the other hand has all the advantages that Gea mentioned earlier, but that isn't enough to pull the matchup in his favour.

Yoshi players, play defensive and learn to handle pills (and generally all projectiles from all characters). Once you've done this, you should find the matchup a lot easier. Then, I suggest experimenting a little and try to find your opponent's weakness. They downsmash too much? Figure out a way to punish with f-air. They shieldgrab a lot? Stay d-tilt range away from Doc, so that he can't grab reliably if you can react. Adaptation is how to win at smash.

If your opponent adapts as well, then the fun begins.

Gea

Smash Master
Lol @ Doc's complaining about their matchups in a Yoshi forum.

Yoshi on the other hand has all the advantages that Gea mentioned earlier, but that isn't enough to pull the matchup in his favour.
Oh, I definitely agree in both parts, you just have to remember that it is just as weird for us. Haha. Yoshi is fun to play against though. Always nice to see someone that isn't just same ol' same ol'.

Winnar

Smash Lord
<_< I probably got a little out of hand there. *is scared to go back and read it*

In any case, thanks again for all the input, I don't have time to go back and edit right now, but I will later.

Always nice to see someone that isn't just same ol' same ol'.
Yeah, that's why I like to play as Yoshi. :D

D

Deleted member

Great guide man! Can someone enlighten me as to what a ''sock slap'' is? ta!
Just ignore that, its a name i made up for something so i wouldnt have to type it all out. Its basically a bair straight from the edge, used as an edgeguard. Its quite situational, and the timing is tricky, but it can be used occasionally. Its usually works to instant edgehog, then if they aim above the edge, then "sock slap". Ok thats all.

Top Bottom