• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask HugS about Samus in Brawl

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
I really haven't experimented with the smash DI or played vs people who have. The problem is that I believe I automatically DI as i do in melee. So i have no idea if the moves I am hit with just send me in the direction they do, or if I'm just DIing well.

I'm not sure but it seemed like people have an easier time staying alive with DI than escaping combos with DI. I was able to link many different moves not possible in melee.

Fair to uair to jump to super missle would land on a lot of characters. The fair is a great comboing machine, and the uair has KO ability now, so it won't connect easily to a follow up move unless the opponent is at very low percent.

So the uair sends them upwards then, and not forward I assume?
Is it slower than in melee? By that I mean, does it hold them in there longer?

HugS

Smash Champion
So the uair sends them upwards then, and not forward I assume?
Is it slower than in melee? By that I mean, does it hold them in there longer?
No, it still sends them to a side, but in a stronger way. It's slower yes. Most things seem to be.

Bomb Jumping - i hear it's harder to do now. but...it can still be done, right?
Yes it can be done. I can't do it cuz i haven't had the chance to work on it. But i've seen Timmy from oregon do it. So yes it can be done, but it's harder now.

Also, I saw you asking what Samus's colors are in a new thread. You coulda just asked here.

Orange, Fusion, Salmon(Pink for you color blind people), green, black, and a different kind of black. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be dark samus, or just a samus from a different game.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
No, it still sends them to a side, but in a stronger way. It's slower yes. Most things seem to be.

Yes it can be done. I can't do it cuz i haven't had the chance to work on it. But i've seen Timmy from oregon do it. So yes it can be done, but it's harder now.
good i'm glad. at least it can still be done. i'll probably start practicing with that first thing when i get the game.

Also, I saw you asking what Samus's colors are in a new thread. You coulda just asked here.

Orange, Fusion, Salmon(Pink for you color blind people), green, black, and a different kind of black. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be dark samus, or just a samus from a different game.
No purple (gravity suit)? bummer. but i'm assuming one of those blacks is the Phazon suit. the other one....maybe the Dark Suit from echoes (brownish)? Hopefully they left Dark Samus available as a separate character. but she's blue, anyway...

but good info. thanks!

Hostility

Smash Ace
I've heard that the Cstick works differently in that if you hold a direction and Cstick, you do a tilt. So is it still possible to do a crouch cancel down smash?

Megachuk

Smash Ace
does grappeling auto sweetspot the ledge?
is bair still cool as ****?
How's samus' priority?
post a demo tier list as to where samus/or zamus would place?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Do you know if people can still jab to stop all of Samus' projectiles? Seriously, that crap makes me mad.

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
Could you, while recovering, airdodge> double jump> airdodge> grapple, or do you just get one airdodge after you do something out of it?

If you could do that then bomb jumping wouldn't be as needed since you could get really far if you still had your second jump.

Mars-

Smash Champion
HugS, I just changed my aim mood thing to HugS blows, cause I am jealous of you being able to play brawl right now. Anyway, I know you said you haven't tested out bomb jumping, but does it look as useful as it is in melee? And what exactly is harder about it? Less lag?

HugS

Smash Champion
I've heard that the Cstick works differently in that if you hold a direction and Cstick, you do a tilt. So is it still possible to do a crouch cancel down smash?
I know you can always just let go of down and press the cstick. But I have yet to discover anything further.

does grappeling auto sweetspot the ledge?
is bair still cool as ****?
How's samus' priority?
post a demo tier list as to where samus/or zamus would place?
It's hard to tell how good her priority is when I don't know if I'm spacing correctly or not. It seems like her sex kick priority has suffered a bit. But again, it may just be me not knowing how to use it properly.

Do you know if people can still jab to stop all of Samus' projectiles? Seriously, that crap makes me mad.
I haven't shot enough projectiles to tell you. And when I have, no one has even tried jabbing them away.
Rising Grapple?
Haven't tried it. Either way, the way airdodging works, you need to have upwards momentum if you plan on airdodging up. That rarely happens when you are recovering.

Could you, while recovering, airdodge> double jump> airdodge> grapple, or do you just get one airdodge after you do something out of it?

If you could do that then bomb jumping wouldn't be as needed since you could get really far if you still had your second jump.
I have to test it out. I'm sure you can only jump once out of an airdodge though. As long as you have 2 jumps to begin with. I dont know how it would work with metaknight/pit. It hasn't been done yet. It's hard to control your character because of the new way the airdodge works. The classic controller also makes control more difficult. On top of that, the two minute matches and items don't help much in terms of discovery.

HugS, I just changed my aim mood thing to HugS blows, cause I am jealous of you being able to play brawl right now. Anyway, I know you said you haven't tested out bomb jumping, but does it look as useful as it is in melee? And what exactly is harder about it? Less lag?
Well look, let me give you guys some info on recovery.

Samus is bigger in this game. Which means I haven't been able to drop through platforms to missle, i land way before she can shoot it. This size also affects her recovery. I dont know if the sides are small or if samus is just big/floaty enough to recover without problem.

I honestly have made it very far by just jumping towards the ledge. No bomb jumps needed. The up B goes far, the grapple auto sweet spots. There was only one situation where I needed bomb jumps. Let me explain:

I was hit off the stage by Gimpy, and i had used my jump. Now I was at stage level while falling, and I knew that if i airdodged i would go straight down because of my momentum (Restarded). Gimpy was edgehogging so I had no choice but to just try to grapple without airdodging, i was too far from the ledge and just died. The airdodge thing is going to take some getting used to. Bomb jumps could have been useful here. I didn't do it because I don't know how to. It's not that they lag more, it's that the moment you drop a bomb you move in the direction you were pressing, eithe left or right. So when i am recovering from the left side, i am pressing right to go towards the stage. When I drop a bomb, i move forward away from the bomb. So I have to DI back into the same bomb i dropped first after dropping a second one. So it's harder in that sense, but it works.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Also, I hate how they completely took out a lot of directionaly options. But that does confirm one thing at least, there isn't a swd.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
so there is no more missile canceling? so is double missile gone? swd definantly gone right? is the fsmash worse? is the charge shot weaker? how does samus feel over all? can she hang with the other brawl characters good enough? her missile don't even have any knock back anymore?? from what i have been hearing it sounds like she is much worse in brawl than she was in melee. are there like any new things that you have found yet that may potentially make samus good in brawl?

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
I read something about Samus's bombs knocking her sideways if she's to the side of them instead of right on top of them. Is this true?

IstariAsuka

Smash Cadet
Just a random thought, but could the momentum-based airdodging actually be synergistic with bomb bouncing as a recovery method?

That is, after bouncing off a bomb you presumably still must have forward/upwards momentum (else it wouldn't help with recovery), in which case at the apex of your bounce you could airdodge to progress further in this direction, and provided the post-airdodge lag isn't too great, immediately bomb bounce again, repeating the whole sequence over again (bomb-bounce -> air-dodge -> repeat)

Could this possibly work, or are the mechanics just not quite right for it?

Mars-

Smash Champion
From what I understand, when you dodge, you keep going the way you wuld normally go, like if you were at the peak of your jump, you would just stall and then start dropping.

HugS

Smash Champion
so there is no more missile canceling? so is double missile gone? swd definantly gone right? is the fsmash worse? is the charge shot weaker? how does samus feel over all? can she hang with the other brawl characters good enough? her missile don't even have any knock back anymore?? from what i have been hearing it sounds like she is much worse in brawl than she was in melee. are there like any new things that you have found yet that may potentially make samus good in brawl?
I think missle cancelling exists. Some people said you couldn't, but I saw with my own eyes...a person double missle when landing. The shot seems weaker, but it has definately killed at 130. So it's not horrendous. I've never tried the SWD. I'm pretty sure it's gone. Fsmash is fine, if not better. Samus feels the same as in melee, but probably nerfed even more. I don't know if she can hang with other characters, everyone and their mom thought that samus couldn't hang with faster characters at the beginning of melee, now we know better. So I can't say yet.

Don't her super missles hit people upwards now? I could be wrong but I think I saw Mario get hit by one and he went almost straight up.
A lot of moves hit people straight up now. Dsmash included. It's lame, but I hope this is fixed in time for the release. Missles have no real KO power it seems.

I read something about Samus's bombs knocking her sideways if she's to the side of them instead of right on top of them. Is this true?
In the air yes, on the ground, not sure.

Just a random thought, but could the momentum-based airdodging actually be synergistic with bomb bouncing as a recovery method?

That is, after bouncing off a bomb you presumably still must have forward/upwards momentum (else it wouldn't help with recovery), in which case at the apex of your bounce you could airdodge to progress further in this direction, and provided the post-airdodge lag isn't too great, immediately bomb bounce again, repeating the whole sequence over again (bomb-bounce -> air-dodge -> repeat)

Could this possibly work, or are the mechanics just not quite right for it?
Good idea, i'll try it out.

From what I understand, when you dodge, you keep going the way you wuld normally go, like if you were at the peak of your jump, you would just stall and then start dropping.
I have yet to airdodge in place. So i don't know how true that is.

Peak of your jump, u'd still go up I believe. But interesting thought, I'll check.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
i was wondering something very similar to IstariAsuka's idea, but what about just dropping a bomb, then going into an airdodge, then grapple? that might solve the grapple distance problem.

also, another question about the new bomb jumping mechanics: let's say you are falling straight down, not pressing to one side or another. would bomb jumping then work as usual? or does it still push you to one side?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You must do some stuff with ZSS. You seem to be the only person there who's playing Samus, so could you please give some first hand impressions of her moveset?

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
No wavedashing has been taken out :(

Umm now I got a question. Does samus still have her walljump? Also does dropping bombs stop your movement? ex wall jump into bomb.

freddybones

Smash Journeyman
Samus is bigger in this game. Which means I haven't been able to drop through platforms to missle, i land way before she can shoot it. This size also affects her recovery. I dont know if the sides are small or if samus is just big/floaty enough to recover without problem.
Wait, Samus is bigger? Enough to land before the missile is out?

>.>

How big is that exactly? Like compare it to other characters. Mario being a middle character, Kirby the smallest, Bowser the biggest. Or use your own scale if you have to.

It's just you made Samus seem really big there with her landing before the missile comes out.

Devon_Aran

Smash Rookie
I've heard that Samus can grab more hits with the Screw Attack now than she could before, and it looked like it in a gameplay video I saw. Is this true? And if that is, wouldn't that mean the move does more damage?? I hope so because this is one of my personal favourite moves in Samus's arsenal from the Metroid series.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Wait, Samus is bigger? Enough to land before the missile is out?

>.>

How big is that exactly? Like compare it to other characters. Mario being a middle character, Kirby the smallest, Bowser the biggest. Or use your own scale if you have to.

It's just you made Samus seem really big there with her landing before the missile comes out.
Take a look at the videos. She's a head taller or more than most every character except for Ike and Bowser, whom she is about even with.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
how are her grabs and throws? better or worse? same amount of lag on how fast the grapple extends?

Saymus

Smash Apprentice
So when you hit her with a screw attack or an electric shock from Pikachu, DOES SHE GO NUDE LIKE IN N64?!?! PLEASE SHOW ME NAKED PICS

Other than that, when you charge her shot, and you go to morph ball, does she spawn 5 bombs just like in Super Metroid? (Yeah right...)

Ok for real though... how are her tilts? Are they faster, to come out or back in? Knockback? Fastfalled Fair to Fsmash more feasible? Also, Dthrow to Fsmash at lower percentages?

need moar fsmash comboez

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
Not sure if Hugs will have a chance to test this, but...

From what I understand, in the air if you are above a bomb it'll hit you up, and if you are to its side it will propel you, well, away from it.

So, by extension, could the bomb push you down or at a downward angle?

It seems the floatiness in brawl can be a disadvantage in many respects. A quick downward push could be useful.

If this is in fact true, is it possible to jump way up, bomb, move forward slightly and fastfall, so that the bomb will push you into the stage at an angle? This could be a nice setup for a waveland -> attack/grab/whatever.

It may be slow to set up, but it should be easy to change your mind at the last second - another option, mindgames, etc etc.

Another application I thought of is when recovering - you'll be bombing anyways - and may be able to make a quick dip under your opponent's edgeguarding attempt, and jump up from below. Etc etc, more mindgames for recovery.

If you can check on this, Hugs, I'll be mighty grateful but I fear my question/request will be coming in too late \;

Nihil

Smash Rookie
Hey im still pretty confused about Samus' alternate colors and it would really help if you could explain a bit more the 2 black ones.
The Phazon suit has an orange visor and black and gray armor with red lights instead of green.
and Dark Suit has orange visor with Copper armor.

Im just really confused to which one is it, some say phazon and some say dark

hugQ Cortex

Master
HUGS!!

1)Can you still pivot smashes/tilts/grabs?
2)Is jab-canceling still in? Is it any different?
3)Have you tried shield-dropping?
4)Can you hit anyone out of a d-throw? Can you tech-chase anyone out of a d-throw?
5)Do you personally like the new up-b?
6)Were you able to do the fake jump to ledge trick? Lol.

Top Bottom