• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norman, OK (TX/OK) - Oklahoma State Championship '07 - SSBM, GG, 3S, - 11/17/07

chibit89

Smash Cadet
The intro:

Be declared as the best in melee as we put a close as brawl is coming out! be the last one declared melee champ!

Every year, us Oklahoma kids put away the cattle and get together to declare the best video game fighter every fall. This year, it's no different and we invite all the SOUTHWEST to challenge and declare the best in OK. Make no mistake, minus the ranches and farms, we're bad mamma jammas at fighting games. Also, if you don't want to compete, this event will be huge so its guaranteed to be fun casual gaming! so... test your skills at:

Oklahoma State Championship of '07!!!!!

Date: Saturday, November 17, 2007

Location: Heritage Room - Oklahoma Memorial Union – 2nd floor
900 Asp Avenue, Ste. 428
Norman, OK 73019
http://union.ou.edu/content/view/103/30/
• Directions to here: directions

Time: Tournaments start at 1 PM. Doors open @ 11:30. I'd like for the equipment people to show at noon.

Cost: $1.00 to enter the room, regardless of player/spectator OR free if you bring an equipment item, see details. $5.00 entry fee per game.

Pay out for all games: 1st- 70%, 2nd- 20%, and 3rd- 10%

Main Events: (times are tentative, the tourney wont happen before the posted time but can be delayed)

I. SFIII: 3rd Strike (PS2) – 1 p.m.

II. Smash Bros. Melee – doubles - (GC) --2 p.m.

III. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (DC) -- 3:30 p.m.

IV. Smash Bros. Melee – singles - (GC) –5 p.m.

V. Guilty Gear XX Accent Core – singles – 6 p.m.

Any games with interest over 8 people, I’ll through a side event for you!

Side Events: (if people want a tourney, these will be run after the mains with at least 8 players)

T5:DR, KoF, CvS2, SF2:ST, post up ideas.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rules:

All tournaments will be double-elimination format. 2/3, 3/5 winner's/loser's finals, 4/7 GF.
We're using the Evo standard for all games.

This is a BYOC (Bring Your Own Controller/Converter/Joystick) event.

The following rules apply:

If the start button is hit or a malfunction with your equipment occurs, causing the game to pause or reset during a match within the first 5 secs, the match WILL be restarted. However if after each reset point then your opponent will have the opportunity to take the 1st win or reset the match, advantage or not.

Button mapping is allowed. Having 2 or 3 buttons combined into ONE is banned
(e.g. No 3x punch/kick mapped to L1, etc.). GG/DR are exempt from this rule.

3S -- Winner keeps the same character, but can change super art. Loser can change everything. JUDGEMENT CANNOT DECIDE A MATCH!!

MvC2 -- No game-breaking glitches (you know what they are); Juggs' glitch allowed. Winner keeps the SAME team/SAME order. Loser can change everything.

SSBM –
-- Double Elimination bracket
-- 4 stock, 8-minute limit
-- Ties broken by lives, then percentage
-- Items OFF
-- Singles $5/person/Teams $5/ per person (if time/interest allows. A well-run event should leave plenty of time, like our last tourney did)

-Stages/Characters:
-- Stages limited to the 6 neutral stages for random, others open for counterpicks.
-- Neutral stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium.
-- Stages banned: Yoshi's Island, MKI, MKII, Venom, Big Blue, Flatzone, Icicle Mountain, Hyrule Temple, Fourside, Brinstar Depths, Termina, Onett and Yoshi's Island 64
-- No stage may be used twice in a single match, either by random select or by picking
-- Stage Strike: Each person strikes one stage for the entire set. This stage must be selected at the beginning of the match, after initial characters have been chosen.
-- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
-- Double Blind pick may be called at any time

-Team Specific Rules:
-- Team Attack ON
-- Life stealing allowed
-- Fountain of Dreams and Mute City banned

-Other SSBM Rules:

-- Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), excluding cosmetic changes (paint, stickers, different colored plastic, etc.), are BANNED. If you are found to be using a modded controller, you will not be able to use that controller for the rest of the tournament.
--Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable, are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeiture of the match.
-- Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath) to excessively stall a match is banned

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Equipment:

If you bring the following items: TV or gaming system, the $1.00 entry fee will be deducted per item. PM/contact me on what you can bring and the first to do so will be listed on here. So far we need.

8-10 TV
4 PS2
4 GC
(I know the DC port of MvC2 is preferred but if we can get our hands on 2-3 DC’s with ps2 converters then we’ll be in business)

How to park:

Use the parking garage, 2nd floor if possible. Just walk in through the clear door and you should see the room. It should be free but being OU and me having bad luck they might charge; which I would suggest parking somewhere else.

Summary:

There are multiple restaurants within walking distance from this place. There will be 8 tables and 20 chairs, I’ll request more if the demand occurs. Just let me know any comments/criticism, this tournament is made for all gaming fighters of OK.

Thanks for reading. Please refer back to the thread for updates.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Wow. First post. As I've said earlier, I'm definitely down for this. I'm also joining in on the Third Strike action even though I will almost certainly lose badly in that tournament...

Smash, however, 'I got this'

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I'm definitely in as well. But my only question is . . . you don't expect us to only play smash for an hour, right? Cause smash doubles will take about 3 hours and singles will take much longer.

And I'm down with 4/5 of the games and will be brining a TV and a cube as well as a copy of smash.

Also, can if everyone else is down for it, can we instate 2 kinds of stage strike rules?

The first one strikes a non-neutral stage period, the other strikes a random stage of the player's choice but after the first match, that neutral stage can be picked by the opponent if he wants to or picked by the player if he wants to. That way, we can force the game to become more fair by not striking neutral stages that everyone should be familiar with and instead banning only non-neutral stages.

chibit89

Smash Cadet
yeah, i know these tournies run long but i plan to run 2 at a time.

there'll be multiple tv's, hence, the running of two tournaments. my plan is to maintain the tournament flow and keep everyone entertained.

thechubbss12

Smash Cadet
I will most deff be there... Ready to give up my money to Chris or someone else more talented then I am lol....

Only 4 GCs?...... I dunno if its just me... But that sounds like a pretty small amount?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Yeah, I agree. We need more setups, so we need more guys to volunteer ****.

chibit89

Smash Cadet
yeah, i'll boost GC's and stuff when Nov comes and it comes down to the wire.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
man, i wish i could get up there.....what is it next week(2 weeks?)..i can never find tourneaments near Dallas

chibit89

Smash Cadet
If you're interested in MM"s come around 1 PM before all the tournies start! you're able to warm up starting @ noon.

get hype!

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
I don't have a partner yet, but if anyone wants to team with me, just contact me on AIM.

*Crosses fingers for a NOT paemon*

thechubbss12

Smash Cadet
LOL Pablo... Ill team with you man... CF teams with madd Knees FTW...

Yea man I can make it up there with the Set up around 12 if thats cool?.

chibit89

Smash Cadet
HEY, OSC IS AROUND THE CORNER SO I NEED YOU TO READ:

- bring any equipment you have, so far I only have 3 people bringing stuff.

yawara: smash and tv
omega star: smash and tv
chubbs: smash

- if you have any TV, please bring it. i'm bringing 2 myself.

Please help out, it'll make things run smoother.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
South Paw's predictions!!!

1st. Me (Bowser)
2nd. Kos-Mos (Pear)

Last: Auctori (Captain Sandbag)
2nd to last: Paemon (It doesn't matter)

Top Bottom