• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Bear Hugger (SNES and arcade Super Punch-Out!!)

parrothead

Smash Lord

Name: Bear Hugger
Game Appearances: Super Punch-Out!! arcade and SNES Super Punch-Out!!

Special Moves:

B: Bear Slap (swings his fist like a bear swings it's claw)

Forward + B: Bear Hug (firmly claps his hands on his opponent)

Down + B: Belly Guard (Reduces the amount of damage he receives by 16%)

Up + B: Double Uppercut (Jumps up in the air while he swings both of his fists simultaneously upward)

Super Smash Move: Grizzley Hug (a more powerful version of the Bear Hug; Bear Hugger firmly hugs his opponent, giving him/her/it a lot of damage)

Taunt: Click here.

Entrance: Same as the SNES Mac's entrance in the opening of SNES Super Punch-Out!!.

NOTE: The reason why I created this thread, is because when I saw the King Hippo thread, I noticed that many people think he is the very first fat boxer in the Punch-Out!! franchise. But he isn't, Bear Hugger is the original one. Many people were too lazy to go to the arcades.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
The reason why I created this thread, is because when I saw the King Hippo thread, I noticed that many people think he is the very first fat boxer in the Punch-Out!! franchise. But he isn't, Bear Hugger is the original one. Many people were too lazy to go to the arcades.[/QUOTE]

I never said he wasn't. I just like King Hippo better and I believe from what I hear by my cousin, that King hippo was one of the most famous boxers in the Punch-Out!! series, with Bear Hugger and Bald Bull closing in on second. Anyway, I'd rather see King Hippo, but Bear Hugger would also be a neat addition.

NOTE: The only guy who didn't know that was the guy who wrote the "super Punch-Out!!" review on wikipedia wondering why Bear Hugger "replaced" King Hippo. EITHER KING HIPPO OR BEAR HUGGER FOR BRAWL!!!! [SPOILER][S]But King hippo More ;)[/S][/SPOILER]

EDIT: I wonder who would win, King Hippo or Bear Hugger ?

parrothead

Smash Lord
Nintendo did replace Bear Hugger with King Hippo, but when Nintendo's promotion with Mike Tyson ended, they decided to create NES Punch-Out!! with Mr. Dream instead of Mike Tyson, just to tell people that Nintendo's promotion with Mike Tyson has ended. Then Nintendo decided to bring back the original gameplay of the Punch-Out!! arcades, by developing and releasing the SNES version of Super Punch-Out!!, which became a million-seller. Nintendo is kind of afraid to bring back the style of the NES Punch-Out!! titles, because they are kind of mocking the Rocky movies. And the reason why they created the blonde-haired boxer (which is probably named either "Little Mac" or just "Mac", according to Nintendo), is because Genyo Takeda and his crew thought he looks too plain, so they twisted him with a better hair-do and facial. Another reason why they made him look anime-style is because they were planning to release the SNES Super Punch-Out!! in Japan.

bbb

Smash Champion
Was Bald Bull in the arcade version? He's always been my favorite.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Was Bald Bull in the arcade version? He's always been my favorite.
Yes, him and Mr. Sandman both appeared in the regular Punch-Out!! arcade. And Bear Hugger, Great Tiger, Dragon Chan, Vodka Drunkenski (now known as Soda Popenski), and Super Macho Man first appeared in the Super Punch-Out!! arcade.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I like this guy a lot he looks like a strong heavy character apposed to little mac who would be a weaker faster character, also he is canadian who doesn;t love canada Maple Syrup, Beavers, Marjuana this guy is awsome.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Nintendo did replace Bear Hugger with King Hippo, but when Nintendo's promotion with Mike Tyson ended, they decided to create NES Punch-Out!! with Mr. Dream instead of Mike Tyson, just to tell people that Nintendo's promotion with Mike Tyson has ended. Then Nintendo decided to bring back the original gameplay of the Punch-Out!! arcades, by developing and releasing the SNES version of Super Punch-Out!!, which became a million-seller. Nintendo is kind of afraid to bring back the style of the NES Punch-Out!! titles, because they are kind of mocking the Rocky movies. And the reason why they created the blonde-haired boxer (which is probably named either "Little Mac" or just "Mac", according to Nintendo), is because Genyo Takeda and his crew thought he looks too plain, so they twisted him with a better hair-do and facial. Another reason why they made him look anime-style is because they were planning to release the SNES Super Punch-Out!! in Japan.
Guess I've been had. I tip my hat at you, sir. Yeah, SNES Punch-Out was alot more, cartoony, than the old NES one.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
In all honesty, the only other Punch-Out! character I could see in Brawl besides Little Mac himself is Bald Bull. Bear Hugger just doesn't seem as important.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Bear Hugger pissed me off when I first fought him. But he really is just the "King Hippo" of Super Punch Out. Hell, I guess they could be clones of one another

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Yes, him and Mr. Sandman both appeared in the regular Punch-Out!! arcade. And Bear Hugger, Great Tiger, Dragon Chan, Vodka Drunkenski (now known as Soda Popenski), and Super Macho Man first appeared in the Super Punch-Out!! arcade.
I was on my way to supporting this character until the above quote reminded me of Soda Popenski. Who doesn't like a drunk boxer that turns pink when he gets mad? I say add Mac and either Soda Popenski, King Hippo or Super Macho Man. I like Bear Hugger but I can't put him above the other three, their taunts alone would force me to pick them. Good idea though.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I was on my way to supporting this character until the above quote reminded me of Soda Popenski. Who doesn't like a drunk boxer that turns pink when he gets mad? I say add Mac and either Soda Popenski, King Hippo or Super Macho Man. I like Bear Hugger but I can't put him above the other three, their taunts alone would force me to pick them. Good idea though.
I remember IGN was throwing out trophy ideas for Melee back in the day, and one of their favorites was Popinski :laugh:

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
If only others in the boards were as good a sport as you... for that, I tip my hat to you.
Actually, I'd prefer King Hippo, if only because of my fond memories of Captain N...
Me too, b ut why paired with that retarted eggplant Wizard as comic relief duo? IMO King Hippo should have been a totally badass villian, while someone else was with Eggplant Wizard as the idiot.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Not only Bear Hugger is the first fat Punch-Out!! boxer, but also Nintendo used him more than King Hippo, because of originality.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I'd say Little Mac is a necessity, but then that leaves the option of adding in a villain/rival to balance it out. I'd still prefer King Hippo, Piston Honda, and Soda Popinski over Bear Hugger, but I'd say as long as Mac is in and gets one rival, then I should be fairly satisfied (I'd just prefer the other three, villain-wise). =)

zombie7775

Smash Lord
Why do we need a boxer and why was this thread brought back? I have to say no to any boxer because the attacks would be ununique, unoriginal and not entertaining.

Top Bottom