• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters: Masaru Kado (Card Hero) and Mark (Pokemon TCG 1&2)

parrothead

Smash Lord
NOTE: These two characters would probably fight like Yugi Muto in Jump Superstars. And this is not a tag-team submission. Also, I thought this brown-haired card dueler was Hiro, but his name is actually Masaru Kado.

Name: Masaru Kado
First Game Appearance: Card Hero
Platform: GBC

Special Moves:

B: Monster Summon (Masaru summons a monster that attacks nearby straight ahead (the monster does a single attack). The monster can also absorb an attack that would hit Hiro from up front.)
Forward + B: Damage Spell (Shoots a card that transform to a damaging ray (not too long of a range though)
Up + B: Monster Boost (A damaging monster comes and hurls Hiro into the air)
Down + B: Protect (Creates a shield around him that can block attacks, also works in the air)

Extreme Attack: Legendary Monster Summon (A more powerful version of Monster Summon; Hiro summons the most powerful legendary monster from the game, which would severely damage almost every opponent.)

Taunt: Takes out a deck of cards and shortly shuffles while smiling.

Entrance: Walks in while shuffling his deck of cards.

Card Hero title opening

Second picture

Clone or Special Costume: Mark
Game Appearances : Pokemon Trading Card Game 1 and 2
Platform : Game Boy (Color) (Both games)

Special Moves :

B : Pokemon Summon - (Mark uses a Pokemon card to unleash a random Pokemon that attacks nearby straight ahead (the Pokemon does a single attack). The Pokemon can also absorb an attack that would hit Mark from up front)
Forward+B : Damage Card - (Shoots a Trainer card that transforms into a damaging ray at a slightly long range).
Up+B : Boost Card - (A damaging Trainer card comes and hurls Mark into the air)
Down+B : Defend Card - (Summons a Trainer card that creates a shield around him that can block attacks, also works in the air.)

Extreme Attack: Legendary Pokemon Summon (A more powerful version of Pokemon Summon; Mark summons the most powerful legendary Pokemon while it severely attacks almost every opponent.)

Taunt : Same as the second picture.

Entrance : Walks in while drawing out 7 Pokemon cards.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I own, and still play, Pokemon TCG GB. What a fun and fantastic game, especially when I needed to learn the ropes, and the tournaments had died in my area as I just finally got my deck going strong. I've been hoping for Mark to cameo in the anime for a while, and show Ash a thing or two about battling ;p

And I've played Card Hero like once or twice, and I enjoyed it. Funky fight mechanics, though. Don't you fight with three monsters at a time, and they all draw from one "mana pool" or something like that? I enjoyed it for the brief time I could figure out what I was doing :laugh: But hey, that cardshop keeper, Maruo, was a trophy in Melee, which is both odd and very cool. And to be completely honest, ever since Melee was announced, I really wanted to see Hiro in the Smash games in some form, or even just his cards as an alternative to the Pokeballs.

I don't remember how many monsters there were in Card Hero (not a lot), but I do recall there being two distinct ones shown on both the box and title screen...

Some crazy knight and a robotic frog. The knight appears in the Super Gameboy border too, from the screens I've seen outside of gameplay, which is nifty.

One of the best things about Card Hero, though, is how it mocks Nintendo so directly. One of the kids in the game idolizes a "Team Pocket" as his favorite villains, and everybody is obsessed with a game called "Card Hero" (as opposed to Pokemon), but there are a few stragglers who talk about this other phenomenom known as "Rocket Monsters" :laugh: It was definitely a game that didn't take itself seriously, and I liked that. It was also meant to be "Pokemon Take II" for Japan, but despite being a top-seller, it never took on. For shame :/

THOUGH it did lend itself to some cool UFO toys, as I just found out...

Anyways, back on topic, I think Hiro is a FAN-TASTIC idea for a fighter. He would definitely be a breath of fresh air and life to the series. Of course, he's pretty generic looking, so they might wanna spice him up a bit, give him the Pit treatment :p Mark would work very, very well as a clone too. And wasn't Mark's female partner in the second TCG game Mint?

EDIT: OH, OH! I remember now. You pick monsters to go in rows, and kick the crap out of the other guys' head monster XD That's how you battle! And Attack/Defense is done ala Yu-Gi-Oh or Magic.

parrothead

Smash Lord
I enjoy your conversations about Hiro, Maruo, Card Hero, and about my submissions, and I admire them. I don't know why Card Hero wasn't released outside of Japan, but I know Pokemon TCG for GB 2 wasn't released outside of Japan, because the first one didn't sell well enough outside of Japan. Mint would probably be an alternate costume to Mark.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
I enjoy your conversations about Hiro, Maruo, Card Hero, and about my submissions, and I admire them. I don't know why Card Hero wasn't released outside of Japan, but I know Pokemon TCG for GB 2 wasn't released outside of Japan, because the first one didn't sell well enough outside of Japan. Mint would probably be an alternate costume to Mark.
A chick as the alternate for a male character? XD It works with Popo and Nana, but that's another situation... :laugh:

And thanks for the... thanks, parrot. It's mutual. I'm glad somebody out there is a voice of reason and logic in such a screwy internet world :roll:

Maybe, while we're at it, we should discuss the actual monster summons. It would be pretty inane to give, say, Mark the ability to randomly summon a Pokemon from any of the lot. If anything, they should all have a purpose for the attack, and preferably be things that don't appear in Pokeballs.

For example, having it be where he will randomly summon one of 6 Pokemon (his bench :p). They are all the different elements of the original card game (Fighting, Grass, Water, Lightning, Fire, Psychic) [I never played after they added Darkness and Metal]. Of course, there's also Colorless, so maybe he could summon one from seven? or nine? Anyways, they would attack straight ahead of him, with varying power, afflictions, and knockback (and directions). So, for example, let's just throw in some ideas:

Fire--Charmeleon, flies out kicking and whipping his tail. Hits with mid-high power, sends opponent upwards diagonally. Burns.
Water--Wartortle, flies out and blasts a gush of water forwards. Hits with mid-high power, sends opponent straight forwards along the ground.
Grass--Ivysaur, flies out and body slams. Hits with mid-high power, sends opponent downwards.
Lightning--Magneton, flies out spinning violently and surrounded by electricity. Mid power, holds opponent in place. Shocks.
Fighting--Geodude, flies out using Tackle, pummeling opponents HARD. Highest power, slams opponents upwards diagonally, as if they were F-Smashed.
Psychic--Gastly, flies out expands his body, surrounded by gas. Low power, drops opponent on the floor with "thud," but no real knockback. Dark flames.
Colorless--Pidgeotto, flies out and flaps up a Gust attack just before it. Low power, but throws opponents straight up, spiraling.
Darkness--Sneasel, which slashes forwards. High power, sends opponents upwards.
Metal--Skarmory, which throws out his wings with a slashing animation. Mid power, sends opponents backwards over Mark's head.

Sound good?

As for Hiro, I can see him having something similar, though the monsters could maybe be fewer in number with more to them. Like instead of having 9 to randomly get, you have maybe 3 or 4, and each does a two-step attack, or maybe something more dramatic, like holding an opponent in place for you.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
I approve the idea of Hiro on SSBB. It's a good idea that a character fights summoning monsters, traps, etc. I actually played Jump Superstars, and Yugi was a very wacky fighter.
As for Mark, I would say "Leave Pokemon to the pokemons". But if you talk a bout a chick like Mint, things may be different
:bigthumbu

parrothead

Smash Lord
Tomasiarity said:
I approve the idea of Hiro on SSBB. It's a good idea that a character fights summoning monsters, traps, etc. I actually played Jump Superstars, and Yugi was a very wacky fighter.
As for Mark, I would say "Leave Pokemon to the pokemons". But if you talk a bout a chick like Mint, things may be different
:bigthumbu
Do you have any artwork from Pokemon TCG for GB 2?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
These pokémon suggestions are getting dumber and dumber. First Todd and now these two bozos? God awful pokémon morons.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
1. Hiro isn't even a Pokémon character; he's from a game that (loosely) satires the hype and merchandising side of Pokémon.
2. I see no problem in having some of the real characters from Pokémon taking the spotlight, as they'd (probably) offer much more varried and unique fighting styles to some generic Pokémon creature, and they have much more character development. Well, other than Pikachu, but that was only in the anime anyways.

More on topic, I really like the concept of Hiro. I've never heard of him before, but I love having tons of obscure yet interesting franchises brought into Smash Bros. And it helps that he reminds me strongly of Gambit. :p

D

Deleted member

Pokemon should stick to monsters.

(But put Roland on that list and I might support you...)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Hiro is still a good idea, Smash Bros. Fan Pokemon Logic notwithstanding ;)

I'm a little funked out by the B attack being his card summon, though. It works, but whenever I think of a B attack in a moveset, I consider how that would work with Kirby first. If it's something just too bizarre to work with Kirby, then I switch it to some other command.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Hiro would use his monster cards just like the way the Fighting Foodon chefs use their Meal Tickets to summon their Foodons. The monsters that Hiro would summon depends on how powerful they are, just like Mr. Game & Watch's Judgement move (Forward+B).

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
Hiro would use his monster cards just like the way the Fighting Foodon chefs use their Meal Tickets to summon their Foodons. The monsters that Hiro would summon depends on how powerful they are, just like Mr. Game & Watch's Judgement move (Forward+B).
WHY DID YOU HAVE TO REMIND ME OF THAT SHOW :mad:

parrothead

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
I apologize about that. That show in my opinion was so bad it was good. Foodons, unlike the Pokemon, they sometimes speak English. I heard Sir Dumpling say things like "Jolly good!" and "Smashing!"

Do you want me to change the way Hiro and Mark uses their Monster/Pokemon Summon moves back to the way Yami Yugi uses his monsters in Jump Superstars, or something else?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
lol. No, no. I was just upset over being reminded of that abomination of a show...

BUT the mechanic might work better. I don't know. It's up in the air for me how Hiro/Mark summon.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
parrothead said:
NOTE: These two characters would fight like Yugi Muto in Jump Superstars. And this is not a tag-team submission.

Jump Superstars, easily one of the best fighting gams ever made! Didn't think any guy in America played it but me, but it's a big country... Sakata Gintoki is way better than Yugi

Well, anyway, I would love to see a card fighter in Brawl, but not a random monster for his B move. Maybe the main character's signature monster if he has one (Like Yugi with Dark Magician)

tirkaro

Smash Champion
FlipTroopa said:
.....*grabs fliptroopa by the neck, throws him down, slices him with a chainsaw and devours him.*
DONT EVER, EVER, DISS FIGHTING FOODONS! EVER!!!!!!

and I like the idea of a card battler. yugi was my fav character in jump superstars and I would love to see a card-er as a new type of smasher. I was thinking that hiro's B attack could be that hiro preforms one of the attacks of a random monster.

NukeA6

Smash Master
If I want a card fighter, I'll choose Princess Karia from Lost Kingdom. These other guys suck.

VivaLaPika

Smash Cadet
No one would use Mark's B move.

1. It would have to have alot of lag/frames or else 100s of pokémon would just spew out of him.

2. If it has alot of lag it leaves him open for counter attacks.

Maybe it would be a ledge guard move?

Anyway, I agree with only using the actually pokémon in SSB.

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman
Yes to Hiro.
No to Mark.

Why?

Mark used trading card games from real life. Those cards did not originate in a video game, but the weird thing is, Mark did. He has the same conflict as Sora (not saying I want him in, hear me out). Sora can be in, he started in a video game, but his accesories, Donald and Goofy, did not start that way and can't appear in Brawl.

However, Mark could have a trophy....

parrothead

Smash Lord
Yes to Hiro.
No to Mark.

Why?

Mark used trading card games from real life. Those cards did not originate in a video game, but the weird thing is, Mark did. He has the same conflict as Sora (not saying I want him in, hear me out). Sora can be in, he started in a video game, but his accesories, Donald and Goofy, did not start that way and can't appear in Brawl.

However, Mark could have a trophy....
If you don't think that would happen, then why Kawashima in SSBB? He was into researching for information about the human's mind, before he was in Brain Age for Nintendo DS.

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman
If you don't think that would happen, then why Kawashima in SSBB? He was into researching for information about the human's mind, before he was in Brain Age for Nintendo DS.
I never said I wanted Kawashima in Brawl. In fact, I don't want him even mentioned in the game since he came from real life.

Jump Superstars, easily one of the best fighting gams ever made! Didn't think any guy in America played it but me, but it's a big country... Sakata Gintoki is way better than Yugi

Well, anyway, I would love to see a card fighter in Brawl, but not a random monster for his B move. Maybe the main character's signature monster if he has one (Like Yugi with Dark Magician)
I have Jump Superstars,Yugi was preety good in it too,but i like using Ichigo(7 koma).
Card hero would be preety cool,and also be pokemon ish...i think??:dizzy:

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I have Jump Superstars,Yugi was preety good in it too,but i like using Ichigo(7 koma).
Card hero would be preety cool,and also be pokemon ish...i think??:dizzy:
OFF TOPIC: HUZZAHS FOR JUMP SUPERSTARS! How do you get the Bleach set of Koma? I don't even have the 1-Suare koma. I can't even find the stage in J-Adventure mode. What do you have to do to get Ichigo?

ON TOPIC: I kina agree with Super_Cool now. I want somone with original moves using cards with original monsters, not a guy who uses Pokemon because they're already in the game.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Card Hero is a REAL card game BEFORE Nintendo developed it for Game Boy Color. It became almost as popular as Pokemon, but it still never came outside of Japan.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Card Hero is a REAL card game BEFORE Nintendo developed it for Game Boy Color. It became almost as popular as Pokemon, but it still never came outside of Japan.
Card Hero was trying to OVERTAKE Pokemon. Nintendo even wanted to see if the two could compete...

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Thanks for the fun fact ^_^

OFF TOPIC: SInce we're talkinga bout card games, do you think the second arch of Yugioh series "Yugioh Dueslist" was better than the first one where the games were random, like where they play this D&D like game and become figurines and have to battle Bakura's monster Zorc, or does anyone above the age of 10 like Yugioh Dueslist more than the original?

tirkaro

Smash Champion
.....seriously? that piece of knowledge could be very useful in some debates.. *adds info into his court records*

OFF TOPIC: SInce we're talkinga bout card games, do you think the second arch of Yugioh series "Yugioh Dueslist" was better than the first one where the games were random, like where they play this D&D like game and become figurines and have to battle Bakura's monster Zorc, or does anyone above the age of 10 like Yugioh Dueslist more than the original?
I liked the first season a lot more. the second season was okay until after the pegusus arc. then it just got plain repetitive.

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman
But hey, that cardshop keeper, Maruo, was a trophy in SSBM, which is both odd and very interesting. I would say YES to both characters.
Yes, trophy. Not playable character. I fully support Hiro and Mark for trophies.

Their attacks come from real life so I still say no.

parrothead

Smash Lord
After I watched this new show on NBC after Deal or No Deal, called Heroes, I read a subtitle that a Japanese person said, and it was "Super Hiro". Does that mean "Hiro" = "Hero"? If so, then does that mean "Hiro" is nameless?

rock_in_reo

Smash Apprentice
tasmania, australia... i think... i hope... i beli
yeah, Hiro = Hero sounds about right.

and i thought of another overlooked Poke-person recently when my brother finally had a game he lent to a friend returned. it was... Pokemon Snap! lol so old but yet i was a great originall game at the time, and sees to be one of the only games not to be ripped off. The guy from the game was Todd, and he took photos of pokemon. Lol not much but meh.

Oh and i say no to both Hiro and Mark

parrothead

Smash Lord
Mr. Game & Watch wasn't originated from a video game, neither. LCD handheld games are not really video games.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*BUMP*

Should I replace both card duelers with the protagonist of AlphaDream's first title, Koto Battle (コトバトル)?:

Or should I replace all three of them with a character that summons monsters, but doesn't use cards, name Kevin (in the middle wearing green clothes) from Monster Tactics?:

Top Bottom