• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Rick Wheeler / Ryu Suzaku

parrothead

Smash Lord
Large Image

Name: Rick Wheeler (a.k.a. Ryu Suzaku in Japan)
First Game Appearance: F-ZERO GP Legend
Platform: GBA

If Nintendo changes Ganondorf from a "clone" to a "non-clone", Rick will be a nice clone of Captain Falcon.

You may decide on which of these two sets of moves you would add:

For his clone moves:

B - Dragon Punch

Up + B - Dragon Dive

Forward + B - Phoenix Uppercut

Down + B - Dragon Kick

For his non-clone moves:

B - Police Pistol (shoots three small, green, shots, then puts it back in his gun holder)

Up + B - Bird Soar (puts his arms out like a bird, while they flare up, then flies diagonally toward the direction he's facing)

Forward + B - Dragon Burst (similar to Samus' Charged Shot, and Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, except it's range is half as there's. Rick forms a ball of fire, then the face of a dragon appears, and when you release Forward + B, it will send a fire ball shaped like a dragon's head, while it moves like Samus's Wave Beam in several Metroid titles)

Down + B - Bird Drop (dives slightly, diagonally, downward, while holding both of his fists together, while they flare up)

Extreme Attack: Boost Fire (as seen in the beginning of this video)

Taunt - Puts his hands together like Zelda's taunt, and whispers "Haruka". (Haruka was Rick's girlfriend, before she became Miss Killer.)

Entrance - Drives in, and hops out of his F-ZERO machine, the Dragon Bird.

Some reasons why I believe he would be good in SSBB, is that he is Captain Falcon's best friend and foe, he fights in the anime, and he appeared in more than one title. I don't believe he is an anime-only character. I showed this submission in another forum, and most people disliked him, because of his eyebrows.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
The original moveset is the better one, but the gun gets a little funky, since Sakurai's all "no real world weapons" happy :p

He's not strictly anime-only, and I'm pretty sure he's Nintendo-owned. To be completely honest, he's the best bet for a new F-Zero character if you ask me. Goroh, Stewart, Pico, Jody Summers, Super Arrow, Black Bull, BioRex, whoever else you rattle off... they're just peripheral characters. I mean, Goroh would be great. But does he have the "hero" appeal? Does he really have a UNIQUE "anti-hero" or "villain" appeal? Black Bull is very generic as well, fyi. But Goroh comes off to me as being an unholy lovechild between Wario and Ganondorf. He's not wildly unique, like a Bowser, Meta-Knight, or Mewtwo.

If they had to go with another F-Zero character, it would be Rick Wheeler. The only other serious choices, as I see it, are Falcon's kid (the name escapes me) from Maximum Velocity or Zoda, since HE'S the main villain for Rick. Of course, Star Tropics Zoda is much cooler, but... eh...

So, woo, Rick Wheeler ;)

parrothead

Smash Lord
Rick's Police Pistol appeared in the anime, and it wasn't edited by 4Kids. Also, it is similar to Fox's/Falco's Blaster(s).

And for Captain Falcon's son, his name is Kent Akechi.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
Rick's Police Pistol appeared in the anime, and it wasn't edited by 4Kids. Also, it is similar to Fox's/Falco's Blaster(s).

And for Captain Falcon's son, his name is Kent Akechi.
That was the name! :)

Also, Sakurai made a comment on the Smash Dojo that they want to avoid a T rating this time, like they got with Fox's Blaster. Part of the reason Melee was T-rated was the realism in the design of his gun, even if it was a laser.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
The crazy whip thing? It doesn't look like a real gun. It's like the Ray Gun item; it looks like a kid's toy. That's what the Zapper is orange, or the Transformers had gray sticks that shot lasers. It doesn't look like a real gun.

Fox's Blaster looks a lot closer to real military arms than Samus's laser whip/pistol.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Then they'll probably modify the blasters that Fox, Falco, and Rick uses. And did you know that Captain Falcon has a pistol beside him, but didn't use it at all in SSBM? He only used it in the F-ZERO comic in the SNES F-ZERO instruction manual.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Yeah, which is weird. He clearly has the holster for it during battles.

Does Ganondorf's knife holder only appear on his Classic trophy, or is it there in battle too?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Didn't answer my question :p

But swords still have the fantasy feel and mythos. It's okay for a character to use a sword because we don't use those today, at least most cultures. They have this connection to our fiction, but not our reality. A knife is still often used today to kill, and in brutal ways. Much like guns with real bullets.

Before you even mention it, other weapons like staves, various other blades, axes, etc. are still also held within in fantasy, so they are A-OK.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Sakurai and his developers are probably going to modify the characters' guns, and make them look unreal.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Hmm..... i remember watching that anime in fox box....and it sucked. Well maybe it was just the edited version so i really dont kno. I guess he would be alright.

About the guns, i dont think Sakurai would go that far. I mean even kiddy games have guns in some way or another. I just hope he doesnt make it too kid friendly and make the guns look like Super Soakers.

Oh and Parrothead! You should make a thread where you put the all characters you suggested and one pic for each. Just a thought. Did you voted for the polls when they were open?

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
Ha. Never really thought of him. For some reason I like the idea of him in it. He just seems unique and maybe someone who should be expirienced a bit more. Sort of like the idea, but chances are he won't make it in.

-SMB

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I don't like this idea, I'd rather have Samurai Goroh and maybe Deathborne from the F-Zero franchise. Nobody else though, and I don't exactly think this character is all that interesting either.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
lol awsome you can make your own stages
i dont think rick wheeler... i mean in the anime he becomes c falcon. so if you think about it we kinda already have him.
i think we deffinatly need Black Shadow but i want Phoenix. he could represent the new AX characters from FZERO GX

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Hmm..... i remember watching that anime in fox box....and it sucked. Well maybe it was just the edited version so i really dont kno. I guess he would be alright.
the unedited version is slightly better, by like, 5%. I only liked the episode where Ryu first meets Samurai Goroh.

Yeah, Ryu would be alright.

parrothead

Smash Lord
lol awsome you can make your own stages
i dont think rick wheeler... i mean in the anime he becomes c falcon. so if you think about it we kinda already have him.
i think we deffinatly need Black Shadow but i want Phoenix. he could represent the new AX characters from FZERO GX
It doesn't really matter if a character changes nor passes away, like Jean Grey (X-MEN) turns into Phoenix, Hector (Fire Emblem 7) and James McCloud (Star Fox franchise) both passed away in their own titles.

Super Smash Bros. is about people using their imagination, Nintendo character toys, and other objects for fighting.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
It doesn't really matter if a character changes nor passes away, like Jean Grey (X-MEN) turns into Phoenix, Hector (Fire Emblem 7) and James McCloud (Star Fox franchise) both passed away in their own titles.

Super Smash Bros. is about people using their imagination, Nintendo character toys, and other objects for fighting.
ye i know it dusn matter if they die, but he is c falcon kinda... if they change i think it matters.
besides, i dont think he is very recognisable. he hasnt been on any home consoles.

parrothead

Smash Lord
I don't like it he isn't a main character and he has phucked up eyebrows.
GOROH FTW!
Takamaru is more important than Samurai Goroh, because Samurai Goroh "steals, but never kills".

I've added Wheeler's/Suzaku's Super Smash move.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
...um, rick is an anime character. not a real game character. he suffers from the pokemon anime complex. a complex that I cant understand, but because of how the anime is, it's pretty obvious that GP legend is non cannon. (when did octoman become evil?) ah, well. we'll have to wait for the next canon F-zero game in order to figure out if rick is canon, which is VERY unlikely

Zorya

Smash Ace
Nope.

Rick Wheeler originated from an anime....an anime that I don't believe is part of canon anyway.

Byron X

Smash Journeyman
Rick Wheeler IS Captain Falcon, come on now his voice is like the sound of a teenager. It really does make sense.

Sailyfee

Smash Apprentice
I'd hate to see him as the new C. Falcon, but it could happen since he does become the new Falcon afterwards. (In the animu of course)

4kids ruins everything they touch.

antimatter

Smash Lord
amen. just saying what happened, psycho. i dont like rick that much, just pointing it out.

Top Bottom