• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Temporary BRoomer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Here's how it would work:

It would work like Temp Debater. There would be a check in/out topic in the BRoom.
At the end of the week, there would be a poll. The top two would become BRoomers.
So, what's your take on this idea?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I like this idea because it would give more members a better chance of getting into the BRoom.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
It all depends if the staff likes this idea or not. I'd be nice to see it happen through.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
This has been considered a couple times, from several directions. For instance, some Broomers think all entries should be on a trial basis. I've been hesitant to implement this because it takes a lot of mistakes for me to kick someone out of the Broom.

I don't like doing it. If you're in the Broom, then for better or worse, you're in. Creating a revolving door only serves to lessen the quality of posts, even if they are all booted. It increases the "us versus them" mentality, and while the Broom is by no means a private place, it is private "enough" that people post a lot of personal topics -- topics that I would read by someone with more invested than a "trial member."

Yes, Scav, a trial member would technically have more invested than a permanent member. That investment only lasts so long as they are in the Broom.

If a strong member is border-line (or has a few vehement detractors), we let him (or her :O ) in on a trial basis. But as I mentioned above, very few members get booted, and I'd like to keep it that way. If you truly want access, then please continue improving the quality of the boards through intelligent, interesting posting -- something y'all have already improved significantly over the past 6 months.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
You know Scav, instead of closing this, let's actually hear possible ways it could work first?

Miharu

Smash Hero
How long would this said "trial period" last? I'm sure it'd take more than a week to decide if someone is to be given access to the Broom or not. I think the reason why this came up is that not a lot of people know how to get access to the Broom in the first place.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Well like, the only thing i would be worried about is, and hear me out since i know not everyone would do this, but who's to say that the person couldn't just make their posts extremely well done and thought-out, and then when they are accepted in to the Broom, they just start posting like idiots again.

It's highly plausible to polish and present yourself for a trial period, people do it all the time in real life, it's even easier online to save face. I don't know, like to get into the Broom is hard and pretty much impossible, and to lessen the standards that much, to where you can get trial memberships? I don't know it doesn't seem like it fits.

An alternate suggestion, would be to post responsibly in the actual forums, message one of the members in the Broom, and say you deserve a shot to join because you post intelligently.

Not like most of us are going to make it in, but it opens the doors a little, while still keeping the Broom rather exclusive.

Thats just my two cents.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Well I don't think they'd be let off the hook immediately; if it's seen that they're posting like idiots again, they'd be inevitably kicked out of the Broom. And to make that less plausible, there should be some sort of a minor penalty to discourage posters from doing such a thing.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Seems ok but I also don't know if it would work well. On that one note again, people could even post intelligently ALL THE TIME and then spam once they made it in. I guess you'd have to think that they wouldn't do that, and hope for the best. If not...............what then?

I'm not even sure if I could get in the BRoom.Lol
People seem to like me well enough and alot of times they think I'm funny, but I have spammed before...............UhOh...Spaghetti O's. lol

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Meh, I don't know. This seems like a neat idea, seeing as how it WOULD make it that much more possible for people to get into the group (myself included). Furthermore, it would actually put forth a defined manner/process by which one could gain access to the Broom, as opposed to the currently listed, incredibly vague description of "just be a good, intelligent poster."

One problem I have with it though, is that it has a conflict with the one of the current rules regarding the Broom: "The more you try to get into the Broom, the less of a chance you have of getting in." I'm not exactly sure how serious you guys were about that rule, and whether you guy really meant it or it was just composed as a means to stop people from begging for Broom entry, etc., but the way I see it having these alleged "tryouts" for Broom entry are certainly a form of trying to get in, thus a breach in the guidelines that have already been laid out.

Sorry for being nitpicky. :laugh:

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
An alternate suggestion, would be to post responsibly in the actual forums, message one of the members in the Broom, and say you deserve a shot to join because you post intelligently.
Then each one of us broomers would get 1000 different pms from posters who think they should be in the broom.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
Well like, the only thing i would be worried about is, and hear me out since i know not everyone would do this, but who's to say that the person couldn't just make their posts extremely well done and thought-out, and then when they are accepted in to the Broom, they just start posting like idiots again.
There's one of the problems, you're right. People could just polish up beforehand, and then post idiotically again. I think the staff could check past posts for any sign of non intelligent posts or spam. Sandtiger, the whole idea seems a little like a ploy for a way to get into the backroom easier, but at the same time might refine it a bit, personally, I'm a tad against it because it might loosen up the seriousness of the backroom Because of the influx of people posting there.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Quick point: people "pretending" to be a good poster during the trial period isn't an issue. Just because the trial period is over doesn't mean I'll turn a blind eye.

There already is a nomination process. In fact, securing a Broomer's nomination is the fastest way to get on the "possible" list.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Guys, come on.

For starters, the Temp Debaters group was created first for DWYP, and then kept as part of the admissions process. It was just a latent brainwave of Eric's. But more importantly, the room is not private. It's not a bar full of old pals who can talk about anything they want without fear of reprimand. It's more like a conference table of snooty intellectuals bouncing ideas around. The atmosphere is very different.

Almost everyone currently in the BRoom has made The Post. What post, EE? The post. It can be big or small. It can be the one where you bear your soul and reveal who you really are, or it can be minor, talking about an ex-girlfriend, or parent problems. It's the kind of opportunity afforded a BRoomer for proving maturity, intelligence, integrity, all that good stuff the U.S. army claims is criteria.

Part of the appeal of the BRoom is that you don't have to deal with "it all". Especially for we moderators, SWF feels like a job sometimes. We have to put up with bickering and ignorance very often on the boards. It's not all fun and games. In the BRoom, you're scant to find somebody you don't like. In fact, people you've known for years are frequent. If put a revolving door on the sexy night club that is the BRoom, that atmosphere is gone. Few topics by the guys you like to chill with, anymore. They get buried by interlopers' posts. There will be mediocre and bad posts. Lots of them. Occasionally there will be good ones.

That sounds a lot more pompous than it is, believe me. I simply mean that it cheapens the security of the BRoom, the feeling that you can let it all hang out. The comradery is killed. It's just another place to deal with the day-to-day Sweouf grind.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Ever since I became active again (last winter), the only person I can think of that's been BRoomed is Virgilijus. I'm sure there've been more, but the BRoom is a really exclusive place.

What I've noticed about the BRoom, is that a majority of the members are hardcore vets. (With the exception of a few.) The BRoom is basically a memoir to the old members here of the good ol' days... minus the annoying scum that also exsisted back then.

From what I'm guessing, they don't want things to change back there. I think that new BRoomers every week is a bit drastic.

I like the system that's implimented now. But you could let people in more frequently. . . other than every three or four months.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Just a few Broomers who have been admitted since last winter:

Virgilijus
Delechozo
Lonejedi
Chesterr
Caotic
Kirbykid
Changsta
SamuraiPanda
HMP22
dotdotdot

This is disregarding members who got auto-broomed with recent modships, such as Dr Drew, Nihonjin, BWill, Nealdt and Warrior of Zarona. All in all, we've added about 25 new members. Is that a lot? No. but it's more than 1. And another thing most of those names have in common: most registered in the last 2 years.

There's a lot of navelgazing in the broom. But, one thing it ISN'T is a reserve for stodgy old members. In fact, it happens a lot that an old Vet returns and comments on how different things are.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Well, out of all of them, Virgilijus was the only one who every posted in the PRoom. I should get out of the PRoom and Southwest some more.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
We bring in more people then you think. This year alone, we've brought in Wobbles, Phanna, SamuraiPanda, Virg, Chesterr, Caotic, Scamp, Delechozo, HMWii22, Lonejedi, Dotdotdot, Cactuar, and Snex. That's 13 people. A few of them declined, however.

I really don't see any problem with current admission

edit: ahfajkfh screw you scav, i had to spend time finding all of those topics listing them in order to post this. cheating jerk

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
It bears mention that people like Hemp(HMP22) and dotdotdot! and Kirbykid are not extremely active people that were noticed by one BRoomer, and after others started take a look at them, were let in. It's not as exclusive as you think. But a bit of exclusion is why people get into the BRoom in the first place. The privacy, the sanctuary... an asylum to the stresses that posting your thoughts on the boards at large can create. If we implemented the revolving door policy, the only people who would truly care to get in anymore would be... room completists. People who are "jus cureus lol". People who don't really care about the purpose of the room, is my point.

To put it bluntly, the room would suck.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
This is how I see it:

The BRoom is kind of like a little mental sanctuary in the juvenile ignorance, immaturity, and just plain stupidity that can infiltrate most rooms and threads of SWF. Its kind of like the teacher's lounge at school; just casual conversation out of a hectic day.

And for those that think too many people don't get in, that's not necessarily true. As Scav pointed out, there are a good 10 other people that got in so far this year along with me; most of them just don't post here. Is there a correlation between that and admission? In some ways. As we all know, the PRoom is not known for being full of the greatest of threads or posts (but for those of you that do, ignore this and keep it up), so it shouldn't be a surprise if people in other parts of SWF get in.

Nevertheless, most people want into the BRoom simply because they have no idea what goes on in there. What goes on in there? Talk among friends. And if there is a revolving door policy that is basically ruined.

Skywalker

Space Jump
I remember doing a naughty little thing with a certain BRoomer which got him booted and me "blacklisted". Do BRoomers hold something against us that happened months ago? And I've done so many ******** things in the past that I regret.

Can we have some indicator of what the you all think of us? I personally can't tell if you hate me, ignore me, or find me "OK".

(I'm trying too hard right now, huh)

JoshCube

BRoomer
BRoomer
They are obviously keeping all the hot anime babes in there all for themselves.

I for one think they should at least let us in there to watch, or record videos so we can see.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I remember doing a naughty little thing with a certain BRoomer which got him booted and me "blacklisted". Do BRoomers hold something against us that happened months ago?
Yes.

You know, if you deserve to be in the Broom, you'll probably be in the Broom. If you think you're making awesome posts and you're not in the Broom chances are either the Broomers don't think your posts are as awesome as you do, or you've already been nominated by somebody and other Broomers are checking you out to see whether you should be let in or not.

There's enough Broomers out there to know who the good posters are, and when we find somebody we like we let them in. That's all there is to it. You don't need to come to us, because chances are we're already aware of you.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
The Broom is a private room on a public forum. If we let in anybody who wants to get in, even just on a trial basis, we might as well just get rid of the room and all post in the Pool Room, because it ceases to be private.

The whole point of the room is that it is a private place for intelligent, established members who have proven themselves and contributed to the forum to talk amongst themselves, away from the noise of the rest of the forum.

My point is, nobody here deserves to get in. None of us did, not automatically. In order to get in, you must post in a respectable manner, and prove yourself worthy of entry.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
This is how I see it:

The BRoom is kind of like a little mental sanctuary in the juvenile ignorance, immaturity, and just plain stupidity that can infiltrate most rooms and threads of SWF. Its kind of like the teacher's lounge at school; just casual conversation out of a hectic day.
Exactly, and with the new policy an influx of members coming in would ruin the sanctity of that board, which no one wants.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Then each one of us broomers would get 1000 different pms from posters who think they should be in the broom.
Yeah, i was thinking that after i posted it.. like i said in the rest of my post though, The Broom is exclusive, if you get in you get in, whats the worries?

cF=)

Smash Lord
The entrance is somehow biased though:

- You need a top notch english vocabulary
- You're almost 'moderator' worthy
- I'm pretty sure political/religious point of view change something

So yes, the BRoom is wide open to intelligent posters, if you at least fit the criteria. I although completely agree with the concept, its place on a public forum is justified, but there's still a specific environment you guys create from the people you let in.

Lightshade

Smash Ace

So yes, the BRoom is wide open to intelligent posters, if you at least fit the criteria.
I heavily agree, you should be able to know what you're talking about.

Bailey

Smash Hero
Nope the BRoom is awesome the way it is when I was back there it was amazing there were funny threads and no failure threads that is why it should remain private like it has been besides a lot of talking about other members goes on in there.

EDIT: The BRoom isn't the least bit intelligent I was back there for heavens sake.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
You where back there because you bought in

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
I'm definitely against the revolving door policy. The thing about it is, if you get noticed then you'll get in. There's no reason to have that sort of private room if you need to force yourself to get in. And it sure won't impress anyone.

Take this example from Gilmore Girls to heart:

Paris is a girl at Chilton private school. She wants to join a secret sorority. She does everything but bribe them to try and get into that sorority. But still she hasn't been asked to be in. Why? Because she's overdoing it. She wants to be in the sorority so bad that it turns the members off.

Rory, on the other hand, doesn't care about being in the sorority at all. In fact, the only reason she sat at the sorority table was because there was nowhere else she wanted to sit. She didn't even know the sorority existed. But she was cool and the members dug her style, so eventually she was invited to join.

Just be cool.

yeah suckas, just referenced Gilmore Girls.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
Holy cow, you pulled off an amazing feat, geez, that was weird, I've never seen ANYONE reference the gilmore girls before. You defientely have a high calibur of awsomeness, no wonder you're in the back room.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You where back there because you bought in
You're out of the BRoom, EE will take over your Modding duties.

Religious/political views don't affect BRoom entry in the slightest.

And McCloud, that's exactly what we've said when people ask. The more you want in, the less likely you're going to get in.

-=Marth_n_Roy=-

Smash Ace
Can we have some indicator of what the you all think of us? I personally can't tell if you hate me, ignore me, or find me "OK".

(I'm trying too hard right now, huh)
well i have never been one for other's opinion, lest they be in a position of authority.

And all of the mods have all stated at one point or another that the best way to get in is to NOT try to get in. Until a few of Fdv's posts in THIS thread i have been doing just that largely due to the fact that i do not see any attraction in becoming a BRoomer other than being able to call yourself a BRoomer

The whole point of the room is that it is a private place for intelligent, established members who have proven themselves and contributed to the forum to talk amongst themselves, away from the noise of the rest of the forum.

My point is, nobody here deserves to get in. None of us did, not automatically. In order to get in, you must post in a respectable manner, and prove yourself worthy of entry.
Well, again everyone wonders "How does one prove oneself?" (which im also curious of). As far as supporting the forum. . .Premies Have already done so ;)

- You need a top notch English vocabulary
Well you have to actually know english to begin to sound intelligent. It would be odd if someone debated in German now wouldnt it?
And as far as 'mod worthy' not all BRoomers have SPOTLESS records. . .just MOSTLY CLEAN ones.
as for your third line. . .i have no idea what you are trying to say.

Again point to the line Has contributed to the forum why not begin consideration with Premiums? On that note. . .it could be an incentive for regular members to buy premium membership. No not INSTANT access to the BRoom, rather a marker to get you considered first.

One of the mods mentioned there is a nomination factor within the BRoom members. Instead of allowing them to SUGGEST give them the power to completly decide if a member should be allowed into the BRoom. The reasoning for this comes from the fact that its Your/Their BRoom, so wouldn't they know what kind of people should be allowed in?

And (IMO) many forget that the pool-room alone isnt the the only way to make oneself seem intelligent, SWF is vast enough for other areas to be used.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
- It helps, but we don't require people to speak wonderfully. We've let in members from non-English speaking countries, including a few that didn't speak English all that well.
- Yeah, for the most part. There are a few exceptions here and there, but that's pretty much right.
- Not really. I think that (for whatever reason) smashboards in general tends to skew liberal/non-religious. Why? I have no idea. This is reflected in the Broom admissions.

You defientely have a high calibur of awsomeness, no wonder you're in the back room.
Except he's not.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Well, after all this discussion, it seems that I may prefer the Smash Broom instead of the plain Broom. So I don't even know why I'm posting in here anymore.LoL

Unless it's pretty much the same, which it basically is as far as I can tell. Not exactly, but similar.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
The people who think we only allow in liberals have obviously never met Crimson King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom