• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double Dolphin Slash

postyoa28

Smash Rookie
So as the post implies, this is a double dolphin slash. The way it works is really strange. When you are coming up to the stage edge from below the stage, if marth grabs the edge about halfway through the dolphin slash, pressing b while holding up will cause him to do another. Now you may be thinking I've dropped down or did something to get off the stage. I don't think thats what happened.

Has anyone ever done this before? This is the first time I've seen it. I'll go back and see if I can't repeat it. If not it was a fluke, if yes then who knows.

Marth The Great

Smash Rookie
I think I've had this happen before. A couple times when recovering with dolphin slash Marth snapped toward the stage but didn't fully grab on to the ledge and just started falling again but i was able to do a second dolphin slash. Completely screwed up my friend's edgeguarding plans too :p.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
I have done exactly as you say... i was really jumpy and really needed to get back to the edge so i hit ^B a couple times really fast... what resulted was that i went straight to the edge then immediately ^b again. It freaked me out and i did really bad the rest of the match.. but that is exactly what happened.

I think we have it recorded... i will check it out.

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
I've done this with marth's dolphin slash... but it's also happened with Falco's side B...
I think it's random... or at least near-impossible to do it on purpose...
But yea... i've seen it happen

Shentao

Smash Cadet
Havent done it w/ Marth, but Ive done it with Metaknight, using Up B on FD, looked like I missed the ledge, but didn't go into freefall and could do m Up B a second time, I cant seem to replicate it though.

postyoa28

Smash Rookie
Good, so I'm not the only one. I went back and tried to figure out if it could be done on purpose, though with no success. It's like fire_wulf said, when it happens I'm hitting up B rapidly. The thing I was really interested in after I saw it the first time is that the second dolphin slash is almost immediate, no lag from grabbing the edge. If it could be harnesed, marth would gain a great tech and open up new possibilities for off the edge play. So if its a fluke or a glitch then its pretty cool, but if not....

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
hmm it never happened to me but i will keep on pressing up now wen trying to recover since i got used to only press it like mad wen opponement trying to spike, nice technique

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
Hmm this seems interesting. I need to try this in 1/4 speed in training tomorrow to see whether its just doing the second B up really fast, doing it at a precise time, or the entire technique is impossible lol.

???????

Smash Journeyman
This works for almost every character and is known as E-canceling (Edge Canceling); the game interprets you as grabbing the edge (Even though you didn't) and you get your Up B back.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
Anyone can do this... If you get to the point right where you're about to grab the edge, it counts you as having grabbed the edge. There's a Samus vid where Samus stalls under the side of FD with repeated Up B's. It is easy to do with Samus, but with Marth, Meta Knight, Fox, etc etc. you will just have to have a perfect spacing on it.

Top Bottom