• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer: Considered One Character or Three?

Http

Smash Cadet
If there's been something that I've been thinking about for a while, it's how Pokemon Trainer is/will be considered on everything from tourney play to the Tier List. At first (as in when the Dojo update first came out), I believed that PT would definately be considered one character because at the time Stamina was considered groundbreaking, and would be detrimental to the way that PT was played overall. It was thought that you'd have to be good with all three Pokemon equally in order to succeed, and even now that still holds true... to a degree.

Then came Whobby where initial impressions suggested that Stamina wasn't very effective (no pun intended >_>), and one would be able to main one Pokemon without a doubt. I started to change my beliefs that PT might indeed be considered three seperate characters.

Now that the game is released, it seems that there are indeed enough reasons for PT to possibly be considered one character. The main reason obviously is the fact that when you lose a stock, you're revived as the next Pokemon and if you switch, you're at a severe disadvantage because by the time you can move, invincibility is gone. Not only that, but I did recently win a match that I shouldn't have because of (what appeared to be) Stamina in effect when I should've lost my last stock to Charizard's fsmash at 150%.

At the current moment, I've come up with a compromise with myself. On one hand, when data is being compiled about all of the characters (such as durability, attacks, etc.), I definately believe that each of the Pokemon are different. I mean, it's three different movesets. However, I also believe that when it comes to things such as the Tier List, and match titles (so and so (character) vs. so and so (character)), Pokemon Trainer should be considered one character.

What do you think? I've been here for a while (as a lurker), and have never found a topic dealing with how PT is considered, so if there already is one, I apologize.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
you summed it up pretty well in your last paragraph. data-wise and such, 3 separate characters. tier list and such, he should be a single character.

it's 'pokemon trainer' not 'squirtle, ivysaur, and charizard' for a reason. you must use all three. you could say it's one character with three different forms.

Achelion

Smash Cadet
To be honest, I think the intention was that they'd be three different characters, however, Sakurai didn't want to flood the game with too many Pokemon so he packed it in one. In terms of tier list I think each character should be labeled individually, because they all have separate Pros/Cons. I think the only time they should be referenced as "PT" is in conversation.

"Who do you main?"
"PT"

Because technically you main all three.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Topic has been discussed, someone mentioned in a thread that each pokemon would be rated seperatly then averaged out pt

Shirum

Smash Cadet
Considering the odd way the three pokemon compliment each other, I highly doubt a simple average would accurately represent the value of PT.

But, yes, I believe this has been discussed elsewhere. Multiple times.

Vro

Smash Lord
I trust the guide to be more comprehensive, and that the three pokemon must be used integrally. Altho they vary on a basic tier system differently, the ability to quickly change and being forced to change should make it 1 character. Especially if the individual pokemon counter different characters specifically.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i don't think pt should be a simple average, simply because you aren't forced to use all three EQUALLY.

Example, PT v Fox. Squirtle is neutral, Ivysaur is super effective, charizard is not very effective. does this mean pt is average/neutral as a whole?

NO.

Reason being that a good PT will only use Zard when their damage is sufficiently high for three reasons:

1. Your stock tank, he'll take the most damage to kill.

2. Since Zard is at a higher percentage, he won't be comboed as easily, which is one of the reasons Fox ***** it.

3. Since you are at a high percent, you'll die sooner or later, meaning Zard doesn't need to be out that long. So you won't lose a 'charizard stock' or go 'one stock down' just because your worst matchup came out. AND this means you'll go right to your more effective Squirtle!

Basically, you aren't punished as much as you'd think if one of your pokemon sucks or has a disadvantage. Hence why a simple average isn't adequate. But all three should be at least mid (Zard is horribly underrated by the general smash community).

chubas

Smash Apprentice
As they said, you can have a favorite, but the fact is that you cannot use one without using the others. Having three can be seen as an advantage or as a disavantage, but you cannot separate them as one character (not the case of Zelda/Sheik or the Samus, because you can stick with just one of them all the match).
And, as Achelion said, you cannot say you main PT if you don't main the threesome equally.

The Pimp

Smash Cadet
To be honest, I think the intention was that they'd be three different characters, however, Sakurai didn't want to flood the game with too many Pokemon so he packed it in one. In terms of tier list I think each character should be labeled individually, because they all have separate Pros/Cons. I think the only time they should be referenced as "PT" is in conversation.

"Who do you main?"
"PT"

Because technically you main all three.
I do. :chuckle: eh read a few more posts I don't use them exactly equally because I usually don't change pokemon mid-fight. But I try to make sure I can use all 3 the best I can

Slashy

Smash Lord
I think that there is so much potential in the idea of handling any situation in your favor and there are clear advantages the all of the Pokemon have (good recoveries [Ivysaur's is decent because it can be gimped], good spacing techniques, and projectiles.)

Top Bottom