• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's True Infinite Grab on DeDeDe: What are the uses?

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
As most of you probably know, if Ike grabs King DeDeDe on the black /---\ engine at the right bottom of the ship, DeDeDe goes into a glitch mode where he has no way of getting out, unless Ike pummels or throws.

The main questions here are:

1) Is it JUST versus DeDeDe?
2) Is it JUST Corneria?

I played around with the grab game (And wasted a bunch of time trying to chaingrab with the Fthrow....) and I haven't found any such demobilizing glitches.

Anyone know anything about this?

IC3R

Smash Lord
Raito-san, if D3 has no way of escaping Ike's grip, perhaps the only real use would be stalling? Have you tried this glitch out for an extended period of time--like at least a minute?

To answer question one: just try it with other characters, see what happens.

As for question two: maybe this can be done on certain spots of other Melee stages, like when Pokemon Stadium is entering Rock Mode, and your stuck in the grab animation when one of you is at the top of that big hill and the other is at the bottom, or on those little exploding biocapsules on Brinstar...

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Well, essentially, I tried it out for a long time and DeDeDe really can't do anything back forever.

The point is that it essentially gives you a free win if you are some % or a stock up. A good Ike will probably get the infinite on DeDeDe using the Fthrow on the wall right next to it, then suddenly Back Throw and grab to instant win. It is dangerous, as DeDeDe can infinite you right back.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
If I have dedede in the wall I'll just grab him to 180 where an up tilt will kill him definitely.
I think you can tech that up tilt using the edge of the fin. But that's kind of the main point of this topic: It's to collaborate and find other venues where Ike can do this, as just one stage isn't much use.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Stalling is banned, why discuss the usefulness of something that is banned, when you even said for yourself "The point is that it essentially gives you a free win if you are some % or a stock up."
I think that ends this thread.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
The glitch comes from grabbing someone on a slope from a flat area, it happens to multiple characters but specifically I guess on dedede it makes him wig out. You could probably easily do it on yoshi's island or on the rooftop parts of delfino.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I don't have video proof of the glitch, but I've found it works with DeDeDe on all noticable sloped terrain. Corneria, Yoshi's Island (Melee), Hyrule, Halberd it all worked on. I'm sure it works on more.

The question now is,why use it if it does no damage and stalling is banned? I'm going to have to say the most obvious thing is teams where if you get a DeDeDe down there you can let your teammate one v one or something or smash DeDeDe. Another use is, if it works on Delphino and Rainbow Cruise (In addition to the tested Halberd) as a suicide of sorts. And one last thing, if you grab in the middle of the ship for Corneria, the same thing happens, so you can essentially justify that by saying your damage will arrive in laser form. Grasping, but whatever.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Write-up

Okay, I took some time to look into everything myself yesterday, and wrote up an entry on it, I'd like you guys to look it over and correct, if reqired.

The Penguin Throttle

The Penguin Throttle is a technique that can be used to give some of King DeDeDe's medicine right back to him. Done correctly, it will result in King DeDeDe not being able to move, escape or do anything out of Ike's and ONLY Ike's grab. To use this technique, Ike must be standing on a level platform, a ---- shape. DeDeDe must be on a higher sloped / platform, such and in Yoshi's Island Melee. The practical uses of this technique include using it on a moving stage (Such as Delphino) to get it to switch to the next part (At which point D3 escapes) so you don't get wall infinited. It can also be used as a suicide on Big Blue and other moving stages, hold them as you both go off (Or just throw them off and make it back...). Other practical uses include Team Battles and holding them there so they get damaged by a stage hazard (Corneria lasers, for example). Using it to stall the match is, unfortunately, not legal.

That seem good enough?

Roager

Smash Ace
thats cause your ********. Its not stalling if you do your job and hit DDD with a smash attack.
Haha. "your ********" Way to drive the point home.

More importantly, smashes and grabs are very separate. We're discussing the infinitely long hold on DDD. Not killing DDD. Just holding him in one place. Because you can't smash while holding him.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Haha. "your ********" Way to drive the point home.

More importantly, smashes and grabs are very separate. We're discussing the infinitely long hold on DDD. Not killing DDD. Just holding him in one place. Because you can't smash while holding him.
Did you even read the person I quoted? he said he would punch his TEAM MATE in the face for holding DDD like that. meaning theres 2 people meaning someone can smash DDD while holding him.

Seriously I think you might be ******** to because holding onto someone while your TEAM MATE smashes them is a pretty simple and basic strategy. Infinitely holding someone makes this even easier because no matter where they are they can get there before he breaks out of the grab. Even if his own team mate tries to help out he'll probably hit DDD as well just with a weaker move, or hes lucky he'll smash you and him.

Btw this is all only possible if you are in a higher port than DDD but since the stages that this can happen in are all counter picks you are allowed to change the controller ports.

Top Bottom