• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario: Offensive or Defensive?

OverlordCrono

Smash Cadet
Heya Lucario boards, I come here with a question to you all.

My journey to find my last main has brought me to your favorite Aura-wielding Pokemon, and as I am figuring out how he works to see if I can main him, I must ask: Is Lucario's style based more on defense or offense? Can he be both? If I can get a idea of how I should be using him, I can improve much more.

And if its not too much to ask, whats the general match up between Lucario vs. Pikachu? I just need the answer "good" or "bad". >_>

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
The scary thing about lucario is that he can either play defensively or offensively. He's got the tools for both.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
The scary thing about lucario is that he can either play defensively or offensively. He's got the tools for both.
We've had a similar thread to this one already, but yes DanGR is right. Yeah boring answer, but Lucario can be considered both.

MetallicFalcon

Smash Rookie
i say that lucario is best played as a defensive character. cause if he is played as a off character he can easily be predicted and dodged. i mean he is pretty slow

null55

Smash Master
I think the best users can switch on a dime.

My favorite thing about Lucario is that everyone plays him differently, but understating the shift between offensive and defensive play makes him a great character, so it's pretty much necessary.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Yes, Lucario can be played in a lot of ways. Personally, however, I think his play lends itself better to defensive style, focusing on keeping your opponent at the optimum distance a la Marth and staying alive as long as possible at high %s. Doesn't mean you shouldn't go offensive if the need (or the opportunity) arises, however.

Lucario is slow and easy to predict? Where the heck did that come from?

Lucario vs Pikachu isn't really either "good" or "bad." both characters have their advantages in this match-up. The winner will be the one who exploits his better.

Timbers

check me out
His makeup leans more towards a defensive style than an offensive one. He can do both very well. I think you'll be playing defense more than you are offense, though.

Pikachu vs Luc is pretty neutral. Pikachu covers the ground very well, but he's severely lacking against your own airgame. On the ground I'd say it's Pikachu's match. The air would be Lucario's.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I think Lucario is best defensive, but Lucario can switch to a nice Offensive style when necessary. Camping Fairs, and cancelling fast falled nairs into smash attacks is what Azen does when he's playing defensively and waiting for an opening. Lucario is a GREAT punsihment character, so playing defensively and waiting for mistakes is a good strategy.

Trela

Smash Lord
I'm not a Lucario pro, but here's my opinion:

Lucario could be both. He's like the best at doing combos, and he's one of the heaviest characters in the game.*
I perfer Defence though ^^

*EDIT: Oh, I know what you mean Ted; I just know it takes sometime to take him down XD

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Lucario is a great COMEBACK character. The aura boost helps out with this.
-t2

edit*
Lucario is not one of the heaviest in the game. I dont know the exact weight line, but lucario is kinda in the middle of that totem pole.

Milln

Smash Champion
Offensive is great. Defensive is great. Milln switches between the two styles all day.

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion Lucario will have a hard time against pikachu. i was playing a pro pikachu user yesterday (i think his alias was spaz) he was really good with it I lost many times against him with Lucario. Pikachus quick attack cancel into thunder and thunder jolt is really hard to avoid and his spot dodge into downsmash is just god like. I think playing defensively with Lucario is really the best way to go against pikachu.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
I play defensive. dodging and punishing is one of my favorite tactics. I don't usually play offensive but my air game is pretty nice.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Wow, I just realized how to sum up how I play Lucario.
I play Lucario like a Really Evasive Angry Squirrel.
In the offensive, but I try not to get hit.

Heh, that was just like....hmmm,how do I....I got it!! (types what you see now)
-t2

Milln

Smash Champion
In my opinion Lucario will have a hard time against pikachu. i was playing a pro pikachu user yesterday (i think his alias was spaz) he was really good with it I lost many times against him with Lucario. Pikachus quick attack cancel into thunder and thunder jolt is really hard to avoid and his spot dodge into downsmash is just god like. I think playing defensively with Lucario is really the best way to go against pikachu.
GUYS I CAN'T BEAT THIS PIKACHU PLAYER NO MATTER WHAT I DO.

This obviously means Pikachu is a counter to Lucario.

And doesn't mean that the Pikachu player could be simply better than you are, at all.

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
GUYS I CAN'T BEAT THIS PIKACHU PLAYER NO MATTER WHAT I DO.

This obviously means Pikachu is a counter to Lucario.

And doesn't mean that the Pikachu player could be simply better than you are, at all.
NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! he's not better than me.....he just has a good pikachu is all.

jerk

No please don't hurt me!!!!!

Holy sh*t post count=69 best number ever!!!

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
To answer OP: I never understand the idea of a huge distinction between defense and offense in this game. In my mind i see the difference as defense being baiting them into an attack and proceding with a counter, a la: attacking with an opening/beatable move. Offense is in my mind making an opening on your own and continuing through it.

Naturally the difference is a very miniscule one and that's where i find lucario to have an advantage. He can switch his style in an instant and switch it back soon after. He won't overpower you, he'll gradually beat you up and finish you off with one of his imaginary hitboxes.

CUsmasher2011

Smash Journeyman
I play a defensive Lucario now, because I'm still getting used to playing Lucario and learning how to utilize his aerial game more (expect for using dair 99% of the time). But I think for some, the more you get used to playing as Lucario, the more offensive-minded you may become.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Playing offensive is funner!

It just occured to me; Azen, when would you use a defencive Lucario?

Since your style is considered by most offencive, you would probably only play defencively when it is necesary to win, situations in which offence simply does not work. So when it's not possible for you to win offencively in a situation, it is very unlikely that any other Lucario would be able to win in that manner either.

Azen Zagenite

Smash Champion
=^_^=

I think its best to have a good combination of both Offense and Defense; dunno how to really explain it, but when attacking just don't blindly rush in without thinking. Spacing is basically the most important part of playing Offensively and Defensively at the same time, because you're attacking while staying safely out of their range.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I think its best to have a good combination of both Offense and Defense; dunno how to really explain it, but when attacking just don't blindly rush in without thinking. Spacing is basically the most important part of playing Offensively and Defensively at the same time, because you're attacking while staying safely out of their range.

I actually understand that perfectly. By attacking, you're actually protecting yourself from damage, because your offencive game is better at defending you from attacks than your defencive game, correct?

Azen Zagenite

Smash Champion
=^_^=

about right lolz. I try to play balanced like that, spacing with every character even if the character has only short ranged moves.

psike

Smash Apprentice
I played a Luc at a tourney this weekend with my Zelda and my Diddy, and he is most definitely a better defensive character. He was trying to be offensive the first round, and I beat him badly with my offensive Zelda. Then, he started camping the second two rounds, and he timed out both of my matches. I was chasing him around the stage the whole time and he would just run and projectile. It was very frustrating to lose to someone that never even took all my stocks in a single match : (

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
It varies from person to person. Some people find the most effective way to increase a persons damage without taking damage yourself is to be defencive, others find the only way to do it is to be offencive.

Also, I'm a pretty good spammer, where were you and what character did you play that made it impossible to beat Lucampio?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I have to agree with you on that. Lucario can be a nightmare to people who are overly offensive with his down b and his attack power goes up with his damage.
His down B sucks as a counter. He usually has better options, but I'm not sure if he's really a "nightmare" to offensive players. >>

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
His down B sucks as a counter. He usually has better options, but I'm not sure if he's really a "nightmare" to offensive players. >>
It's definitely not a spammable move, but I've been having pretty good success using it as a finisher when both me and my opponent are above 100%. At that stage a lot of opponents just go into roll + smash mode, and down b is obviously very good at punishing that. I doubt I use it more than once every other match on average but it's not a move to forget by any means.

As for whether he's a "nightmare" to offensive players, I think a Lucario properly spacing fsmashes can be pretty difficult to approach. Maybe not the most difficult, but with his projectile he's up there.

Top Bottom