• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overswarm vs. Vidjo analysis

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So on Sunday I lost the first actual tournament in a long while. I got 2nd, which isn't bad, but second sucks and I want to get first all the time.

So, since we're all ROB players here I'm posting my vids vs. Vidjo up here. There are two reasons I'm giving this its own thread

1. So you can critique it

This is normally something that noobs do when they want to improve or when they want someone to say "you're a child prodigy". It's rare that someone good ever says anything about their videos other than "check out this awesome 3 stock", but this is one of those rare times. Find a video you think is interesting (and pick at random) and critique my play. Write down times when I do something stupid (there will be more than one!). Make a comment about things that I do too much that Vidjo obviously caught on to (or should have if he didn't). I'm especially interested in my Frigate games, as Vidjo counterpicked ME to Frigate and WON. THREE TIMES. That's a big deall.

2. So I can critique it for you

I like giving out info to new and old ROB players alike, and this is another way to do that. This is probably one of the best sets of videos I have online right now, and I did a lot of smart things that ROB players can emulate and I did a lot of dumb things that ROB players can avoid. I'll go through and pick out a video every now and then and go into detail, but I'd like to see other's takes on the set or a specific video first so I don't just get a bunch of "you're right, you should/n't do that".

If you aren't a tournament caliber player, just read this thread rather than post; it's not a sin to be a bad smasher anymore than it is to be a decent one. It doesn't give you popularity points if you come in and critique my ROB without much experience. That condescending and mean sounding statement said, if you aren't a good ROB and you see something you think is just super important that no one else has said, go ahead and post it. The worst that can happen is that Chozen will make fun of you.

OS (ROB) vs. Vidjo (MK) WINNER'S FINALS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVw9vmhIQ6A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gX2Yo_83MQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnqzf6fUDM0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsekV7Oca14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2hP_TygVM4

OS (ROB) vs. Vidjo (MK) Finals Set 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQPCuFxHf6Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qZQpQDI8FA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rm0HWcWdgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMgEsyOiC-k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viLJOP68RZE

OS (ROB) vs. Vidjo (MK) Championship Set
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JHOjvjXdwc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1kU3_Vqm5s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW4U4jwe1uQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvOplsvT-9M

Sudai

Stuff here
I picked the very last one to critique at this time. Mainly because this is after 13 original fights and by that point, neither player should have any silly gimmicks that catches the other off guard. Not in a tournament anyway.

The reason I think he picked Orpheon: It's tiny as all hell with large blastzones. Hard to camp and it's ****ed near impossible to gimp MK. ROB's 2 biggest boons taken out by the stage and character choice.

0:12 - 0:15 Obviously poor spacing on the DTilt infinite. A Jab > Grab would have potentially done more damage.
0:20 - 0:40 Putting yourself off stage with no ledge nearby is a -bad- idea against MK. I know technically he knocked you off every time, save for the last one, but I think that if you had just flown under the stage after the initial knock-off, you'd have taken much less damage.
0:46 Airdodge that ****. If MK is gliding straight at you, it's not hard to time an airdodge around his glide attack.
1:00 - 1:04 Why'd you fly under there? Haha. You eliminated a lot of options. A ledge AND a platflorm both gone in an instant. Poor choice in my eyes.
1:35 - 1:40 I loved it. Angled FSmash spam to prevent an approach. I probably would have just DTilted there which isn't as disjointed -or- as scary. : (
2:50 You needed to get to the ledge faster there. He had jumps left, but it would have put him in a poor situation.
3:48 Rising UAir, even if shielded, would have been a better option.
I really liked the attempt at the end. Almost won the fight for you. I'm gonna have to try that one some time.

Whynot

Smash Rookie
Is their any particular reason you " hang out " more so on the right side of Frigate? Whenever the moving platform would go off screen and you activated your Robo Burner to get in a couple of Fairs, it seemed like MK would get in a lot more Dairs most of the time.

" if you aren't a good ROB and you see something you think is just super important that no one else has said.. "

Keep in mind I fall into this category, and am in no way trying to belittle your R.O.B. I love watching your videos, just trying to offer my two cents.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Good stuff Sudai.

I flew under there at 1:00 because I accidently fastfell and knew I would need to recharge my fuel soon, so I went hoping to land on the platform to get my up+b back. Probably wasn't the best idea in the world, but I didn't want to keep getting knocked off the edge :(

Is their any particular reason you " hang out " more so on the right side of Frigate? Whenever the moving platform would go off screen and you activated your Robo Burner to get in a couple of Fairs, it seemed like MK would get in a lot more Dairs most of the time.
The right side isn't really better than the left, it's jsut the side I chose for this match.

When I was hanging off the edge I was generally hoping for Vidjo to come out after me. This would give me the ability to fly over him and land on the stage safely, or to land on the moving platform and go for a gimp. I did my oldest trick in the book at the end of this one... rolling past the enemy as it is moving and going for a grab so they die first. Unfortuantely, MK's roll is top tier and he rolled behind me after I rolled behind him and pushed me off the side. :(

Sudai

Stuff here
Wouldn't grabbing the ledge then rolling up have been better at 1:00? You'd get about half a second of fuel back. I'll probably watch and critique a vid a day..just cause I'm too lazy to do much more. Hah.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
i think your gyros are becoming quite obvious. like every time you DI away, you always pull one out and shoot it. vidjo is always powershielding it, or atleast most of the time. minimizing alot of your options.

how come you couldnt have grabbed MK there and back throw it after MK missed a grab?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
i think your gyros are becoming quite obvious. like every time you DI away, you always pull one out and shoot it. vidjo is always powershielding it, or atleast most of the time. minimizing alot of your options.
This is deliberate. If you watch the vids, you'll notice that I literally train Vidjo to stop and shield and when he is at higher %, I mix it up and often get a fully charged gyro hit.

The point of it isn't to get random gyro hits though, but to know what my opponent will do. I'll take a few hits now and then to know what my opponent will do.

Wouldn't grabbing the ledge then rolling up have been better at 1:00? You'd get about half a second of fuel back. I'll probably watch and critique a vid a day..just cause I'm too lazy to do much more. Hah.
Rolling = getting hit 100% of time. Sometimes it is a good option, but at this particular crossing I felt it would be better to move under teh stage and use a nair to space myself. Worked alright, but was risky, yes.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
I picked the fourth match of the Winners' Finals. When I saw that it was played on Frigate Orpheon, I went back and check the previous matches and noticed that it was the first match on that stage.

0:03 to 0:13 - I believe that an attempt to switch sides would have been a better idea the trying to camp off the left side of the stage. Especially since Vidjo rushed you as soon as the match started. The first few seconds seemed like you wanted to set something up rather than taking control of the stage.

1:01 to 1:05 - You created an opportunity to come back to the stage when Vidjo whiffed a Dsmash after power-shielding your Gyro. From that point you chose to go back to the movie platform. I believe you did so still wanting to camp Vidjo. However, I think that MK's UpB/Nair/Dair game will make it difficult for you to do that since the moving platform isn't horizontal to the stage. Retreating caused you to lose a stock.

1:07 to 1:41 - It felt rather obvious that losing your first stock left you angered/frustrated. As soon as you re-spawned, you tried to rushed Vidjo for about 25 seconds. The result was that you ended up in the same difficult spot as your first stock with about 80%. Fortunately, it seems that at 1:45, you decided to put some space between you and your opponent.

1:48 to 1:49 - A retreating Fair or Nair out of your shield would have been a better option that rolling through your opponent. This mistake causes you to be sent to the same disadvantaging moving platform, to get a lot of damage, then lose your second stock.

I also noticed a significant lack of tilts in that match. I think that almost every time you did a Fsmash, a Dtilt or Ftilt would have been more effective to combo a keep your opponent away. Jab->grab would also allow you to throw your opponent away. This is especially true when playing on a small transforming stage with considerably large blastzones.

I'll stop here since the rest of the match is pretty much the same as the beginning. This stage obviously took you off guard. The defensive/camping nature of what seems to be your play style was completely counter-pick by the stage. On that note, I suggest that you implement a counterattack or a semi-offensive type of strategy in your game play, so that you can switch depending on the situation.

I haven't watched your other matches on Frigate Orpheon but I wouldn't be surprised if the following matches on that stage were much closer and that you added more tilts. I think that most of what I said is pretty obvious. Hopefully some of it makes sense!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Well, I chose the first match of the championship set as the best ROB vs MK match in the video thread, so I suppose I should go through that one. I chose that one because there were only 3 other matches in these sets on neutral stages, and if I remember right, 2 of them had major mistakes that cost you a stock such as running out of gas, or they just had excessive ledgecamping and were boring to watch. Anyway, onto this one.

0:33 - Right after a nice spike that almost killed him, you were on the edge and he was hopping his way back up from the bottom. It's risky and could get you stage-spiked, but you could have dropped down with a bair. If it's out before he starts his up-B, your bair wins from that position.
1:15 - After the glidetoss you could have usmashed and it probably would have killed. I guess it's hard to know ahead of time that he was gonna be in perfect position for it though.
1:25 - You start jabbing and he's just out of range, but you continue jabbing, and he dsmashes you. After the first double jab missed you should have dtilted or ftilted for the extra range.
1:35 - Please tell me the side-B was a mistake. Of course, if it comes out by accident, the best thing to do is to stick with it.
1:55 - Another accidental side-B?
2:35 - He was well above you and started a glide. You stood there and crouched, not really sure why. I find the best thing to do when the start a glide near you is to rush toward them and shield. They always attack earlier than they wanted to and you get a free grab or dsmash out of shield. Even better, sometimes you can get an usmash off before they get to the ground.
3:25 - Very nice glide-toss->usmash, totally makes up for the missed opportunity earlier.
3:30 - This made me realize that you kinda goof around between stocks. You should have already been standing on the platform, but instead you try to jump on it after he had already come back and he kills you for it.
4:00 - Why the dash attack instead of a grab? Grab has more damage potential and it recharges your moves with the grab attack (Granted, it was early in the stock for both of you so it wouldn't make a big difference).
4:15 - Yet another accidental side-B? You got punished for this one.
5:10 - Glide attack KO. You jumped right into it. I know you were going for the quick bair KO but you must have known you didn't have time.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Side B's: Not accidental. :)

1rst one is a trick I picked up on MK's that like to go way down then way up out of their glide. It taps them out of it and drags them downwards if you angle it right; they can't glide attack you before it hits them unless they want to fall to their death.

2nd one I thought he was going to jump off and fair and I realized I didn't have enough time for a nair. For some reason I didn't think of fairing and thought "side-b could be fun". Technically an accident, but it wasn't a technical accident.

3rd one was on purpose. I had just damaged his shield with a bair... thought I could shield poke him with it and use his low shield to give me the ability to approach him when he was on the ground.

3:30: I actually wanted to hide under the plat so that if he dropped down he'd have to drop through it, and I could jump off the edge onto the platform and force him to follow me off the edge after his invincibility had worn off. Didn't work out for me because my spacing sucked and my jump was late.

5:10 makes me sad, because my brain said to do that a million years earlier. :(

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
OS alot of mindgames there with that ledge drop -> nair -> regrab and repeat, and stick a fair in it later. i gotta use that in my games. in the first match of winners finals

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I'm posting links to the analyses of individual matches in the comments of each video in the video thread, so it's easy to follow along as you watch it.

This is a really good idea. Even though it's pretty time consuming, we should do this more often, especially when a top ROB (OS/HugS) plays a top player of another character. This one is especially important considering the matchup.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
At 2:32 in the second video you down-aired him when he was at 0% and you were at high percent. He just tanked it, dsmashed you and it set you up for an edgeguard.

I think maybe you should consider your percent more when messing around on the edge with metabutt.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I just went ahead and watched them all because I was bored in the middle of doing something else. :p So excuse me if I'm breaking the topic rules here, but just in general I'd have to say...

In one of those video (on Yoshi's Island I think), I heard someone in the background say that the ledgecamping stuff doesn't seem to work very well against MK and, though it was probably said in jest at your usual playstyle, I'd have to agree. You were repeatedly punished by quick hugs into UAir/DAir and any time you're above stage level (to throw out a projectile) just gives MK an opportunity to get under you. It looks like the bulk of the damage you took was after getting knocked back once or twice and having to concentrate on touching back down to refuel.

Aside that, simple logic seems to dictate that staying grounded near midstage is the best position against MK. This will give you maximum survivability off the sides to best abuse ROB's weight advantage. The easiest kills on MK are off the top with NAir/USmash so it shouldn't terribly impact your own KO ability. FTilt is also pretty much ROB's only frontal attack that can space MK which, by the way, you totally need to use way more often.

But anyway, enough of my rambling about that. I'll be a good boy and just critique Champ 2 (Delfino) okay? I felt this was easily your worst match of all the linked videos.

0:34 - Way to fully shield that Tornado, but you should've popped him in the back with FTilt. Not sure if DSmash would've reached or not, too.
0:57 - You got scared and ran when you could've stood your ground and punished this Tornado. Despite that, a turnaround laser still would have hit.
1:19 - 85%? Ouch. It looks like you tried to catch him with BAir for an early kill but you were way out of position (not far enough inland or past him). Just get back to midstage.
2:06 - Nice way to graze his shield with the first FAir and poke with the second one. Then you did a nonsensical pivot on the ledge and got punished for about 40%. :embarrass Jump didn't register or something?
2:34 - He burned you on landing lag, plain and simple. MINDGAMES SON! Anyway, with the stage ready to rise and you being at a lower percent, staying at the edge of the screen was an unnecessary risk and you paid for it.
2:51 - FTilt to the face, DO EET!
3:08 - This is how you should've punished the Tornado at :57. Nice work.
4:28 - His backwards DI is noticeable during the first aerial and Jab/FTilt would've connected where the grab whiffed and got punished.
4:54 - Why charge the Gyro here?

On that final comment, I'd like to point out your penchant for charging the Gyro in close-quarters combat. Maybe it's just me but opening yourself up like that for what amounts to almost no charge time doesn't seem like a good idea. I did notice you used it to pivot sometimes too, good work implementing that into your game I suppose.

Rolling = getting hit 100% of time. Sometimes it is a good option, but at this particular crossing I felt it would be better to move under teh stage and use a nair to space myself. Worked alright, but was risky, yes.
Eh, only at 100%+ when the roll becomes really slow and telegraphed. Rolling quickly brings the ledge invincibility with you and goes straight into a DSmash or a second ground roll away.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Why was the first match of winner's finals played on Castle Siege? Is that neutral in the midwest? Or did you just agree to it?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
We use the strikeout system. We generally have 9 starter stages that are pretty standard... this one actually had Brinstar and Distant Planet on as starters instead of Delfino and Lylat (won't happen again ^_^). But anyways, we go through and strike one stage at a time back and forth until there is one stage left, and that's what we start on; stages that are striked can still be counterpicked later.

Vidjo won the coin flip so he got the last strike, so he was able to pick the stage between the two starters left: smashville and castle siege. We looked at the paper, looked at each other, then I said "well it WOULD be fun" and so we played on Siege.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Hm. That's an interesting concept. I may try to use it at my next tournament. Also, did anything in my analysis make sense?

Ginger

Smash Rookie
Maybe this is just me, but it seemed like your ground game when playing meta wasn't extremely strong.

Once again, I'm a newb, but I watched all of the videos, it seemed like you prefered to shoot a gyro predictably directly at him (so he powershields) from the ledge. You could have controlled the ground game by keeping a gyro on the field, spacing with Fairs/ftilts and laser camping. It works on most metas around here were I attend tournaments.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Maybe this is just me, but it seemed like your ground game when playing meta wasn't extremely strong.

Once again, I'm a newb, but I watched all of the videos, it seemed like you prefered to shoot a gyro predictably directly at him (so he powershields) from the ledge. You could have controlled the ground game by keeping a gyro on the field, spacing with Fairs/ftilts and laser camping. It works on most metas around here were I attend tournaments.
I used to praise the use of f-tilts and gyros to block my opponent, but my lil bro plays Metaknight and it took him about five games to realize that he can just dash attack the gyro from a light year away and can do the same thing if I'm f-tilting... and this sets up for bad things, especially since MK has an awesome glide toss.

As a precautionary measure, I've stopped spamming ground moves.

I have some mixups I still want to try... I probably should have brought out my metaknight counter, but I don't think that character is polished enough yet. Plus, I want to use ROB.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I've thought about "polishing" a secondary to tackle G&W and TL failed miserably last I tried, so I was thinking maybe DK or Zamus? I mean, without resorting to using Snake...

MK isn't as bad. :p

Overswarm

is laughing at you
MK has a lot more strategic freedom than G&W, so he can be very player specific. Having to play multiple MKs in brackets means I have to hope they're all cookie cutter MKs (which most are). Unique and good MKs are more difficult, especially in long sets where they adapt. A secondary would be helpful in those situations.

I don't WANT to use a secondary though... it is my favorite matchup. Even though I lost, that set against Vidjo was my favorite set of all time, closely followed by my set against Anther.

T Bird

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I too, am not very good at the game and won't say too much, cause I don't know to much. I guess I'll just mention that you might try using back air a little more when attempting to get back on the stage, especially when directly overhead your opponent. I watched the final match and at 25 seconds and the last minute and 40 seconds back air may have proved nice. It allows you to move faster horizontally through the air and anyone attempting to jump up who isn't expecting it may get blasted, especially a mk trying to kill with up b. Same for d air, but I think you already know that.
Also, the thing you try on the orpheon, rolling back and grabbing to hold them as you attempted with mk at the end. It's a nice idea, but at that point on the stage you were increadably close to the blast line. May I suggest a different idea that may work? When you roll back behind them you are on the edge of the platform. At this point your opponent will probably just want to get the heck off the platform. They will generally either leap off toward the stage, or roll back as well (I would think, but maybe not) So rather, you may try rolling back and short hopping and doing a neutral air, holding toward the blast if you want to stay with the platform a bit. If the roll back and try to grab you, you'll hit them, if they just attempt to jum, you may hit them, but you wouldn't have grabbed them anyway. If they just roll backward and hold their sheild up to try to push you forward and kill you, as happened this match, then you will push them toward the blastline. The obvious upside in all this is that because you are in a little lense of to the side your opponent will have difficulty spacing so if mk tried a fair he may well still be hit by your nair, also, you are off the stage on the ideal side of the opponent, and you have no chance of being pulled of by the moving platform.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'll just mention that you might try using back air a little more when attempting to get back on the stage, especially when directly overhead your opponent.
Very good advice. I had basically cut this out of my game because I kept getting punished for doing so... MK would jump and up+b whenever I did it, but I realized that I just did it one too many times and allowed them to do that and never implemeneted it back in my game. :(

The nair thing isn't a bad idea either in that position. To be honest, I originally meant to roll and grab but didn't think hard enough and forgot HE could roll too. :(

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
I'm interested that Vidjo wasn't using his up-B very much to get KOs and continually push you off the stage, rather he would bait your air dodge and use a weaker attack. Most metaknights that I play spit on diminishing returns and will wholly prevent you from recovering high with the up-B and following with a glide attack, and force you to recover to the ledge where Meta has a lot of strong spacing options.

I've been having a lot of trouble with metaknight recently (of a 21-7 wifi record with ROB, the only character that's beaten me twice is meta). My biggest two issues are the recovery and a mixup of down-smash and B moves.

I noticed that you don't use neutral air as an approach or defense much when you're both grounded, do you care to elaborate on that and your ground strategy?

Also match 1 of the championship set, at the end of the first stock, you glidetossed, hit, and instead of following into a u-smash, which seemed pretty perfect and is something you do a lot, you jumped as a follow up.

Sudai

Stuff here
Grand Finals 01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JHOjvjXdwc

0:49 - 0:51 SDI that Mach Tornado, OS. I know you know how.

@1:15 To answer Techno's question, Vidjo was high enough to airdodge or jump away.

@1:20 FSmash does -not- beat a glide attack if both are timed to their best. It really saddens me to say that. What I like to do is shield > grab if they do it high or Shield and wait if they do it low. Wait because Up-B ***** you if you try anything else. If they -do- Up-B after that, though, roll after the intial hitbox and punish. : )

1:26 - 1:28 I wasn't sure why you DI'd the throw away at first, but I definitely liked the whole DI low > Airdodge > Jab idea. That would work wonders if Vidjo weren't good at spcing. XP

1:50 - 1:52 It looked like you DI'd that entire string towards the stage. That's 15% you shouldn't have taken.

@2:17 FSmash through that tornado. It's too easy when they start that far away AND in the air. Looked back and you started in the air, nevermind. >.> Best option in that situation.

@3:25 Sexy, sexy.

@3:33 The one time you -want- to DI towards the stage against MK. I don't think you can SDI out of his FAir, so when you see it, you should try to SDI all three hits in a quarter-cricle(I can explain QCSDI if you need me to) towards MK and downward that way you have that tiny bit further to fly before the blast zone.

3:52 - 3:54 You got the SDI out of it part right. If you're aiming for to SDI out of the top, though, airdodging is bad as it puts your right back in. Should be mashing Up and JUMP in that situation. Airdodge is only a good idea if you SDI to the side or down.

4:15 - 4:17 I'm fairly sure that was a mistake at first, but good job on angleing and prolonging it to reduce his shield like hell.

@5:13 BAir to contest a glide attack? I guess I kind of see the appeal with the momentum and disjointedness, but it's just too slow in my mind.

No Johns (Mainly because I'm on the john. Lawl Sudai is disgusting. >.>)

Taso

Smash Apprentice
OS, I haven't played you much, and I REALLY hope to correct that soon, as I strongly believe you haven't played my MK at the top of its game.
That being said, I only watch the first video for now as I have to leave soon. I can post a much more in depth analysis at a later time. Whether or not it'd be desired is beyond me.

In the first video, I gotta' say, this Metaknight doesn't look any better than myself, though I'd need to play you more to get decisive proof of that. Beyond that, I felt as though you were being too aggressive against him. Metaknight is notorious for well placed air-dodges and then a quick punisher.
I just think HE wasn't being aggressive enough. He could have had more potential killers in there if he'd played a little less cautiously.

His style of play was very "attack once or twice, then duck back out", which I'm sure is a pain to deal with on a level like Castle Siege.
Still, I felt a more defensive approach would have made him ditch this style when he sees that you wouldn't chase him.

I'm no star ROB. I'm trying to pick him up, but there's no way in hell I'm anything more than mediocre yet, so I can't rightly give you advice on your main.
I'm saying this more from a Meta's perspective. Super defensive isn't something we deal with well.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Taso, not to burst your bubble, but that Metaknight is much, much, much, much better than you. Or 99% of all Metaknights you will ever see. Vidjo is good.

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
Hm I usually use wolf but I break out ROB for snakes and kirbys and couple other chars that have what I feel is large advantage on wolf, especially when my opponent has cp choice. TBH though ROB against mk is prolly my least favorite matchup for him. His ftilt is just as long and dtilt just as fast. The one thing I love to do and rarely saw in your vids was upairs. I feel its a good move against mk for ROB for damage racking. I also would love to see upthrows with gyro after u grab it. I love doing this a couple times(assuming opponent lets me get it) for mindgame purposes since they usually try and dash in after a glide toss. The Mk left u very few options though. Only other advice was that you seemed to get overly obsessed with n-air when mk got above 100%, i know its ur best kill move, but in 2 games i watched were periods where that was almost only attack u did for 7-8 moves. Mk rarely feel for these spells once u started a couplyed Rar'd backairs would give good mix-up, it prolly won't land since he'll be on survival mode, but gives u a potential to kill with little opening to counterstrike and change ur game.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
We use the strikeout system. We generally have 9 starter stages that are pretty standard... this one actually had Brinstar and Distant Planet on as starters instead of Delfino and Lylat (won't happen again ^_^). But anyways, we go through and strike one stage at a time back and forth until there is one stage left, and that's what we start on; stages that are striked can still be counterpicked later.

Vidjo won the coin flip so he got the last strike, so he was able to pick the stage between the two starters left: smashville and castle siege. We looked at the paper, looked at each other, then I said "well it WOULD be fun" and so we played on Siege.
And the midwest lives up to its stereotype once again.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i really like these vids i main mk and started using rob too so u guys are both really good at them i could learn something.

i watched the last last vid and i can see why u lost. its like u werent playing ur usualy game. some random nairs u would do got punished because of slow start up time and mks quick attacks

and dont get hit with mks glide attack -___-

ima also tell u this mk was reading u very well. i saw how he waited for you to air dodge as soon as he got close to u in teh air and thats when he would punish ur ocming out of airdodge.

other then that great frekaing matches ur rob is too good

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yeah, vidjo is a much smarter player than me. I've got a lot of catching up to do to catch up to players like that... they have a lot of experience reading people.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I thought for sure you'd grab & throw backwards on the last round ftw v_v;

I was really confused why you were playing on odd stages like Yoshi's (Melee) and such... Castle Siege for first round really made me wonder what was in store for the rest of the matches.

ChK

Smash Cadet
unlucky bro. you have a good rob no doubt but vidjo is one of the best metanights around. better luck next time. :)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Do you guys want me to make more threads like this?

I wouldn't mind doing this for other high caliber ROBs playing in the top 4 placings of a tournament. Do you guys want me to make this a "thing"?

I really learned a lot from this. It's one thing to watch videos of yourself, but I kind of zone out after a little while and it becomes entertainment rather than knowledge.... but seeing this actual time + comment from people has really helped. Once you get past the "why would someone SAY that" you get to say "Well, that's true" and you really learn a lot about your game.

Sudai

Stuff here
I honestly wouldn't mind if we did this for a few other characters. I'd really like to see what people think about my ROB too, but that's my narcissism kicking in. : p

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If you haven't noticed, the ROB forums are not unaware of narcissism and embrace it fully.

We have a thread called "the best ROB" where basically everyone posts in it saying "I'm the best ROB" in one form or another, and we continually berate one another and everyone else. We are cold, heartless machines interested only in the progress of ourselves and the collective.

I could do this for Wario.... I lost to Tink on the last game of the last set :(

Sudai

Stuff here
I could offer up a thread for vs Zelda and vs DK. I should have a lot more videos after the 15th too. Depending on how lucky I get, I will be able to offer sets vs Mario, Lucario, MK(the guy's not as good as Vidjo, so there's basically no point), IC, and JPuff.

I also love that JCaez took the initiative to link to our analysis in the video thread and didn't even take credit for doing so.

<3 for JCaez.

Top Bottom