• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heavy Brawl as the competitive standard? EDIT: Could a pro post his/her opinion?

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I agree to an extent. I must confess-I LOVE HEAVY BRAWL. IT makes comboing so much easier and its easy to get into a groove. Then I noticed that Second jumps and even b-up's were totally trashed. Ganon can barely jump as high as the first platform on battlefield, and (just the few I've tested) sonic's b-up barely goes anywhere. Dededee actually gains no height at all in his multiple jumps.....I mean, its just too much. If there was a way to remove second jump killing and still make it that way (not to mention, some b-up's are unchanged while others suffere hugely) I would love heavy brawl. Until someone gets a petition or something and forces nintendo to change the game, we just have to figure out a way to make brawl faster!

Try LIGHT BRAWL! ITs even MORE FUN

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
What baffles me is that somehow an OPTION BUILT INTO THE GAME has been decided as THE WRONG WAY TO PLAY.

What he said.

I personally haven't tried Heavy Brawl but from what I see, alot of the anti-Heavy Brawlers haven't even ****ing tried it and they're doing nothing but making blanket statements out of sheer ignorance. I wasn't around since the beginning of Melee's competitive scene but I'd imagine that banning items and certain stages was met with the same reaction. But ****, the OPTION WAS PUT IN THE TURN ITEMS/STAGES OFF. Why not use those options to create a better balanced, competitive game? Just like the option to use Heavy Brawl was put in, why not use that?

The whole "SPECIAL BRAWLS HAVE TRADITIONALLY BEEN A JOKE AND GARBAGE MODES" argument is stupid too. Special modes were added in Melee, which is pretty much universally agreed upon as being rushed near the the end of its development cycle. One game doesn't equate "tradition". Perhaps(just perhaps) they better balanced the special modes in Brawl? :O

Don't take this as me being Pro-Heavy. Don't take this as me being Anti-heavy. I'm remaining Nair(C wut eye did thar?) in this until I've played in this mode enough to justify having an opinion on it. Maybe these anti-heavies should do the same...

These boards could use a little more PLUR.

M.K

Level 55
What baffles me is that somehow an OPTION BUILT INTO THE GAME has been decided as THE WRONG WAY TO PLAY.
Items were built into the game.
Those stages you banned were built into the game.
Ice Climber's banned chainthrow was built into the game.

Tell me, when have tournaments ever been RIGHT? There is no WRONG and RIGHT way, it's opinion.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
Items were built into the game.
Those stages you banned were built into the game.
Ice Climber's banned chainthrow was built into the game.

Tell me, when have tournaments ever been RIGHT? There is no WRONG and RIGHT way, it's opinion.
Yes. You just agreed with me.

PXG

Smash Journeyman
You're not changing any of that, simply the excessive floatiness. The physics engine doesn't change. The super armor doesn't change. Most of the bigger characters benefit even more from this.
True, but its still disadvantageous for many characters who rely on floating to auto cancel lag or to aid in recovery.

Anyway, others have mentioned how Brawl matches are camp and spam fests. I'd like to ask you people...Who the **** are you playing? Sure, I've played a few noobs who do that bull****. I guess I am luckyto be around people who have played the game enough and are actually good enough not to use such tactics. :ohwell:

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I hate heavey Brawl while playing as Pit. Why? HE CAN'T RECOVER! His mid-air jumps just make him fall slower and his up B makes him drop very far and then gets up a little passed where it originally started.

No, I'm not agreeing to this.
Gliding, use it.

King Dedede's recovery is a LOT worse...

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
I'm all for experimentation and think that, with enough effort, maybe Heavy Brawl could significantly change the game competitively.

However, the problem will be that it may alienate NEW players. Somebody who might be interested in going to a tournament for the first time, only to find out that the game is played on Heavy could quickly lose interest and give up simply because the reason why is hard to explain to a newer player.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
I still don't like the idea of using a custom Brawl as the standard, but that is just me.
This mentality doesn't fly and the melee 2.0 bull**** should not fly here either.

we've customized brawl in a way to have no items on, and use stock instead of time, I don't see why we can't use an option that the game gives.

Ok the only problem I see in this is with sonic's recovery because there is a lot of frames before falling where sonic can't grab the edge and the height on it has been nerfed, however u can use his neutral b to recover as well, but I'm not exactly sure how it works. And one character's nerfed recovery should not influence whether this becomes big or not because characters like ness and yoshi had horrible recoveries in melee and sort of still do so I don't see why we should pity one character in this case either. Also as I said before this does not make brawl anything close to melee (this was in another thread), but it does make the boundary a bit smaller. It makes comboing possible and while it can eliminate the use of some aerials it makes others more useful. Also anything that involves being off stage should not be a problem until u should be off stage because of all the new defenses included in brawl. You live longer anyways so it shouldn't matter!

This is a really good idea and seriously should be embraced. I'll be here to aid pancake and dragz in any arguments made against it.

Also note that if you're having trouble with playing it a few times or whatever, you're going to because it does dramatically change the falling physics of the game, so seriously don't come in here complaining about it after having only tried it once, test it out in multiple matches with friends.

JugaBro

Smash Cadet
The post about Pits recovery being bad is BS. I'm serious, I was testing out tons of characters in heavy brawls and Pit is one of the best by far in gaining height. His upB gets him tons of height, better than most actually in heavy brawl. In my opinion, the ones with the worst recovery are Sonic and Wario, but thats only their upB. Their sideB recoveries work fine instead. It's much better than having everyone be able to recover from anything less than a one hit kill off the screen. I mean, with normal Brawl, it's almost like there is no term for recovery needed, since almost anyone can recover perfectly.

Egret

Smash Journeyman
The sheer stupidity of the arguments against HG in this thread in comparison to the to pro HG arguments alone has convinced me to seriously consider HG as the competitive standard. (However I'm still more pessimistic than hopeful about brawl's competetiveness in any mode.)

Ojanya

Smash Ace
I think you should accept the fact that Brawl isn't Melee 2.0 and just adapt to the new game.
I think YOU should start thinking for yourself instead of quoting everyone else. It's not Melee 2.0, but that doesn't mean it has to suck.

I agree, heavy Brawl, if we could make it standard, would be AMAZING. I would love competitive smash to live on.

JugaBro

Smash Cadet
Too sate all the recovery argument people, I will be doing tests, comparing height differences for all the characters from normal Brawl to heavy. I will test just their jump differences, just their upB differences in height, and then both combined. I will post the results here later.

M.K

Level 55
I've played Heavy Brawl. From what I gathered, King Dedede's recovery is terrible. Don't even say it's still good, because it's not. He jumps like he has to crap his pants, and he falls way too fast. Lucas loses most, if not all of his aerial prowess, and don't even get me started on Wario.
Maybe if it was just a little LESS Heavy, it would work a bit better.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
Ok the only problem I see in this is with sonic's recovery because there is a lot of frames before falling where sonic can't grab the edge and the height on it has been nerfed, however u can use his neutral b to recover as well, but I'm not exactly sure how it works. And one character's nerfed recovery should not influence whether this becomes big or not because characters like ness and yoshi had horrible recoveries in melee and sort of still do so I don't see why we should pity one character in this case either. Also as I said before this does not make brawl anything close to melee (this was in another thread), but it does make the boundary a bit smaller. It makes comboing possible and while it can eliminate the use of some aerials it makes others more useful. Also anything that involves being off stage should not be a problem until u should be off stage because of all the new defenses included in brawl. You live longer anyways so it shouldn't matter!

Ness and yoshi weren't gimped in melee due to player special modes, they were screwed over due to developer missight. Changing to heavy on the other hand is intentionaly gimping/screwing over characters that others like to play just to correct a problem that everyone here can't even agree on exist. Further more we haven't even given the meta game ample time to counter projectile spamming yet.

So far heavy seems to be:

Pros:
Fast Falling
Projectile spam cutdown
Lower % kills

Cons:
Gimps chars that rely on vertical recovery.
Stands to make high tier chars gain even more of an advantage.
**** near kills wario,sonic, and dorf.

Please correct me if I have missed anything and also take in mind that I do have a huge sonic bias.

JugaBro

Smash Cadet
I've played Heavy Brawl. From what I gathered, King Dedede's recovery is terrible. Don't even say it's still good, because it's not. He jumps like he has to crap his pants, and he falls way too fast. Lucas loses most, if not all of his aerial prowess, and don't even get me started on Wario.
You can not reliably say that without doing tests, which is what I will be doing. Please leave these arguments out the door until I show the results.

distr0ia

Smash Apprentice
you're entitled to your opinion (and it's an interesting one that I might try), but overall I disagree and believe that the game's physics should be left as-is. that being said, I think a tourney item list might be innevitable

the biggest argument against items in Melee were the destructive nature of crates & capsules, which can now be turned off
- are mines going to somehow unbalance the game when Snake can place them to his heart's content?
- the beam sword is going to diminish all we hold sacred while it's okay for ZSS to throw her armor parts around at the beginning of every match?
- Peach's turnips/bob-ombs are in/Mr. Saturns are out?
- are we going to ban DeDeDe?

I'm just saying, something's got to give

DrAwesome

Smash Journeyman
Dragz and pancake have made very good arguments (none of which have been answered). At first i didnt like the idea of HG simply because it was a special brawl. It was just an aditudinal problem. Now im pretty convinced that there is a need to stop this trend of camping. Any arguement that the non HGers have made just dont make sense.

No one explains either how camping isnt a problem or how HG wont solve. The only reponses we get is

1) high barrier of entry to new players.

This is not unique to HG. There is a high barrier for any game if you wish to play competively. On top of that learning a new mode is no different than adjusting to stock or no items.

2) some characters are nerfed in recovery and thus suck.

One thing we forgot was that in brawl everyone has a great recovery. The idea of the egde was almost non existant. Also haveing a poor recovery is simply a trade off. Characters get the ability to combo and approach better.

The only problem i have personaly is that i dont think we have enough information to determine if HG is needed. Im not saying "its been only 2 months give the game a chance!". Im saying that give the community a chance. Lets see some big tournys with the normal physics first and see how it plays out. If a camper goes on to win every time then we have a problem. But all it takes is for someone to figure out some AT or something to completely change the game.

Its just like how its to early to decide tiers yet. It cant be done with out all the information. The competitive standard must be handled the same way. Some of you will argue that tiers are completely different but HG has a direct effect on tiers.

Now i havent done much testing myself but i did play a few matches and already saw a difference. I was kinda put off at first but i can adjust, espicaly if the alturnative is dealing with campy players. Basicly we need to test, not just matches and characters but a whole metagame (which includes tournys). So before we conclude that camping is here to stay or that HG is the sole answer, lets give it a bit more time.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
True, but its still disadvantageous for many characters who rely on floating to auto cancel lag or to aid in recovery.

Anyway, others have mentioned how Brawl matches are camp and spam fests. I'd like to ask you people...Who the **** are you playing? Sure, I've played a few noobs who do that bull****. I guess I am luckyto be around people who have played the game enough and are actually good enough not to use such tactics. :ohwell:
dont fool yourself,,,,, when someone really wants to win, he will use any tactic at their disposal. I have fought friends who have an attacking mentality like me, but when things turn ugly.... and the fear of losing kicks in...the camping and spam fest is unavoidable...and in this game it is very noticeable.

Papapaint

Dragz and pancake have made very good arguments (none of which have been answered). At first i didnt like the idea of HG simply because it was a special brawl. It was just an aditudinal problem. Now im pretty convinced that there is a need to stop this trend of camping. Any arguement that the non HGers have made just dont make sense.

No one explains either how camping isnt a problem or how HG wont solve. The only reponses we get is

1) high barrier of entry to new players.

This is not unique to HG. There is a high barrier for any game if you wish to play competively. On top of that learning a new mode is no different than adjusting to stock or no items.

2) some characters are nerfed in recovery and thus suck.

One thing we forgot was that in brawl everyone has a great recovery. The idea of the egde was almost non existant. Also haveing a poor recovery is simply a trade off. Characters get the ability to combo and approach better.

The only problem i have personaly is that i dont think we have enough information to determine if HG is needed. Im not saying "its been only 2 months give the game a chance!". Im saying that give the community a chance. Lets see some big tournys with the normal physics first and see how it plays out. If a camper goes on to win every time then we have a problem. But all it takes is for someone to figure out some AT or something to completely change the game.

Its just like how its to early to decide tiers yet. It cant be done with out all the information. The competitive standard must be handled the same way. Some of you will argue that tiers are completely different but HG has a direct effect on tiers.

Now i havent done much testing myself but i did play a few matches and already saw a difference. I was kinda put off at first but i can adjust, espicaly if the alturnative is dealing with campy players. Basicly we need to test, not just matches and characters but a whole metagame (which includes tournys). So before we conclude that camping is here to stay or that HG is the sole answer, lets give it a bit more time.
Why spend time trying to find an AT when Heavy Brawl does the exact same thing?

And to people who keep saying Wario is no good in heavy brawl--his recovery isn't hindered in the least. He's one of the best characters I've seen so far.

mista_mista

Smash Journeyman
I don't like the idea of using special brawl as the standard, but if it really does improve the overall gameplay and decrease camping, then that's ok with me

Wrath`

Smash Master
:pwow, so ok, you guys can't beat campers? wowz, i can. this is just another way to contort brawl to a melee way, i dont understand you guys, just play the **** game, HG mode is stupid.:p

Papapaint

Look guys...

The problem isn't camping as a strategy. The problem is that the DEFENSIVE PLAYER IS ALWAYS AT AN ADVANTAGE. Between two players of equal skill, there is no advantage to attacking. You have very few, limited options, all of which you can see coming a mile away. This means that you take a character with a no-lag attack (like Game and Watch's b-air), stay back, and then punish the approach. Metaknight does well at this too.

There is no way you can prove that the defensive player doesn't have the advantage. Mathematically, anecdotally, and in practice, this has soundly proven to be the case. The risk far outweighs the award in approaching.

So in a game where this is the case, the only sensible strategy is to always be on the defensive. This is how camping becomes the metagame; it's restrictive, it's boring, and it's shallow.

Increased gravity allows for more variation and less predictable approaches; it balances out the push and pull aspect of smash.

Thino

Smash Master
Look guys...

The problem isn't camping as a strategy. The problem is that the DEFENSIVE PLAYER IS ALWAYS AT AN ADVANTAGE. Between two players of equal skill, there is no advantage to attacking. You have very few, limited options, all of which you can see coming a mile away. This means that you take a character with a no-lag attack (like Game and Watch's b-air), stay back, and then punish the approach. Metaknight does well at this too.

There is no way you can prove that the defensive player doesn't have the advantage. Mathematically, anecdotally, and in practice, this has soundly proven to be the case. The risk far outweighs the award in approaching.

So in a game where this is the case, the only sensible strategy is to always be on the defensive. This is how camping becomes the metagame; it's restrictive, it's boring, and it's shallow.

Increased gravity allows for more variation and less predictable approaches; it balances out the push and pull aspect of smash.
I think you convinced me to give it a try , but now how do we fix the characters that got their recovery ****ed?

TeenLink2D

Smash Cadet
Why change the game format?? Keep it the way it is and so what if it's a camping fest? You can still win against a camper if you play right and **** so yeah.

All of my friends play defensively and I have almost no problem beating them, granted their not like ranked players and crap.

No one really complained when there was a transition from 64 to Melee. the game went from Defense/Offense to Offense. Now it went to Defense and people are trying to change it.

All I'm saying is play the game the way it was ment to be played and don't change it. I don't care if it makes the game better! You will adapt and learn to play the basic style.

Papapaint

I think you convinced me to give it a try , but now how do we fix the characters that got their recovery ****ed?
Most don't. Everyone's recovery ins comparable to how recovery worked in the previous two iterations (except sonic).

And TeenLink, the game was MEANT to be played however people wanted to play it. Poor argument.

Thino

Smash Master
I suggest we let "normal" Brawl a bit of a time ( a few tournaments) to see how it evolves.
if it really does evolve in defense having really too much of an advantage over offense , then we might consider this a possibility.
Its a good idea but dont rush things the game is only one month old, we should just stand (,play) , and observe for now.

RWB

Smash Ace
Like many have said before, give regular mode some time. If, as many have stated before, it turns out there will only be camping games, then this should really be considered.

I'm really worried by the camping problem. Camping is always boring as heck.

However, I'd like to say that Pancake and Dragz have given very good reasoning. Some anti-Heavy peeps have done too, but most just act like jerks, and doesn't even have valid arguments. It pisses me off.

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
I really think that this idea would be taken much more seriously with some actual videos of solid brawl/melee players

right now it's kind of just discussion and nothing truly concrete is coming of it at all. The last time I saw a high grav smash video on youtube was before Brawl was out in the US.

studly

Smash Ace
U have convinced me: Heavy Brawl

I think maybe you are on to something

i had never been a bit skeptical of the heavy brawl movement
i had just never thought of doing it
now though im gonna have to try it and see what i can find

i with you... we dont want a melee 2

JugaBro

Smash Cadet
I am back with the statistics, and I'll explain how I did it first. I created a custom stage that was completely flat, expect for one wall that went 10 blocks high, not including the ground floor. I tested each characters full jump capacity, ability to go into the air from the ground with their upB move, and the total height using their maximum jump ability, and at the max height of the jumps, use upB, and get that maxium height. Now, if I said they went one block, that would mean they were on ground floor. if they went 2 blocks high, they went one block higher than ground floor block, and so on. The blocks that were used were the smallest size of normal square block from the editor. I tested this for each character in normal Brawl, and in heavy Brawl. Here are the statistics. (The number indicates the block height, total is full jumps and upB for maximum height).

Mario (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 3
Total- 5

Mario (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 3
Total- 5
---
Donkey Kong (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- No Height
Total- 5

Donkey Kong (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- No Height
Total- 4
---
Link (Normal)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- No Height
Total- 6

Link (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- No Height
Total- 4
---
Fox (Normal)
Jumps- 5
upB ground- 5
Total- 9

Fox (Heavy)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 5
Total- 8
---
Samus (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 4
Total- 6

Samus (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 3
Total- 5
---
Kirby (Normal)
Jumps- 7
upB ground- 3
Total- 9

Kirby (Heavy)
Jumps- 5
upB ground- 3
Total- 7
---
Marth (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 3
Total- 7

Marth (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 3
Total- 6
---
Game and Watch (Normal)
Jumps- 3
upB ground-4
Total-7

Game and Watch (Heavy)
Jumps- 2
upB ground- 4
Total- 6
---
Pickachu (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 4 (one quick attack)
Total- 7 (one quick attack)

Pickachu (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 3 (one quick attack)
Total- 6 (one quick attack)
---
Luigi (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 3
Total- 7

Luigi (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 3
Total- 6
---
Diddy Kong (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 4
Total- 7

Diddy Kong (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 3
Total- 6
---
Zelda (Normal)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 5
Total- 7

Zelda (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 5
Total- 7
---
Shiek (Normal)
Jumps- 5
upB ground- 3
Total- 8

Shiek (Heavy)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 3
Total- 7
---
Pit (Normal)
Jumps- 6
upB ground- 6
Total- Past 11 blocks

Pit (Heavy)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- Past 11, may have to retest (illogical?)
Total- Past 11
---
Falco (Normal)
Jumps- 5
upB ground- 4
Total- 8

Falco (Heavy)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 4
Total- 7
---
MetaKnight (Normal)
Jumps- 7
upB ground- N/A (Glides)
Total- N/A (Glides)

MetaKnight (Heavy)
Jumps- 5
upB ground- Look Above
Total- Look Above
---
Ike (Normal)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 4
Total- 6

Ike (Heavy)
Jumps- 2 (3?)
upB ground- 4
Total- 6
---
Snake (Normal)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 6
Total- 9

Snake (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 7 (retest?)
Total- 10 (retest?)
---
Ivysaur (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 2 (vine reach)
Total- 5 (6 with vine reach)

Ivysaur (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 2 (vine reach)
Total- 4 (5 with vine reach)
---
Charizard (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 4
Total- 7

Charizard (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 4
Total- 5
---
Squirtle (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 3
Total- 6

Squirtle (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 3
Total- 5
---
Peach (Normal)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 3
Total- 5

Peach (Heavy)
Jumps- 2
upB ground- 3
Total- 4
---
Yoshi (Normal)
Jumps- 5
upB ground- No Height
Total- 6

Yoshi (Heavy)
Jumps- 5
upB ground- No Height
Total- 5
---
Ganondorf (Normal)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 3
Total- 5

Ganondorf (Heavy)
Jumps- 2
upB ground- 3
Total- 5
---
Iceclimbers (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 4
Total- 8

Iceclimbers (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 3
Total- 6
---
King DeDeDe (Normal)
Jumps- 6
upB ground- 5
Total- 11

King DeDeDe (Heavy)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 3
Total- 8
---
Wolf (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 4
Total- 7

Wolf (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 5
Total- 6
---
Lucario (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 5
Total- 8

Lucario (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 4
Total- 7
---
Ness (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- N/A
Total- N/A

Ness (Heavy)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- N/A
Total- N/A
---
Sonic (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 6
Total- 9

Sonic (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 3
Total- 5
---
Bowser (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- No Height
Total- 5

Bowser (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- No Height
Total- 4
---
Wario (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 3
Total- 6

Wario (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 3
Total- 5
---
Toon Link (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- No Height
Total- 7

Toon Link (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- No Height
Total- 5
---
ROB (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 7
Total- 11

ROB (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 7
Total- 10
---
Olimar (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 3 (Using Pikmen)
Total- 7 (5 body 2 using Pikmen)

Olimar (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 3 (Using Pikmen)
Total- 3 (6 Using Pikmen)
---
Captain Falcon (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- 4
Total- 6

Captain Falcon (Heavy)
Jumps- 3
upB ground- 4
Total- 6
---
Zamus (Normal)
Jumps- 5
upB ground- No height
Total- 7 (With Reaching)

Zamus (Heavy)
Jumps- 4
upB ground-No Height (Reaches 4)
Total- 4 (7 with Reach)
---
JigglyPuff (Normal)
Jumps- 7
upB ground- None
Total- 7

JigglyPuff (Heavy)
Jumps- 5
upB ground- No Height
Total- 5
---
Lucas (Normal)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- N/A
Total- N/A

Lucas (Heavy)
Jumps- 4
upB ground- N/A
Total- N/A

If a character was split between two blocks, I rounded down, but this usualy didn't happen. Some characters have virtualy no change between heavy and normal, because they were near the top of the block, and fell near the bottom of the same one, which means almost no change in height. But one thing as you can see, King DeDeDe and Sonic did lose major height, but their total is more than many others in heavy anyway, nerfed but still better. Note: Total does not just add up the first two numbers, because sometimes moves height change when used on ground compared to using it in the air (aka Yoshis egg attack, gains 1 block height in normal mode). Please use this for all future "height" issues with the characters.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, or if you think something here is wrong.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
Ness and yoshi weren't gimped in melee due to player special modes, they were screwed over due to developer missight. Changing to heavy on the other hand is intentionaly gimping/screwing over characters that others like to play just to correct a problem that everyone here can't even agree on exist. Further more we haven't even given the meta game ample time to counter projectile spamming yet.

So far heavy seems to be:

Pros:
Fast Falling
Projectile spam cutdown
Lower % kills

Cons:
Gimps chars that rely on vertical recovery.
Stands to make high tier chars gain even more of an advantage.
**** near kills wario,sonic, and dorf.

Please correct me if I have missed anything and also take in mind that I do have a huge sonic bias.
Yah but melee's standard gameplay wasn't gimped and brawl's was in terms of competitive play.

EVERY character improves in combat

EVERY character loses some recovery capability, but some more significant than others.

You can figure out something for sonic im sure, but because his neutral b is a homing attack I don't know if it requires a character being present near the edge to help in recovery or if there is any alternative possibilites because I don't know sonic that well. But i can tell you it isn't that bad.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
GreenKirby...thank you. You are a shining beacon of hope.

I couldn't check this thread for a while because I had no Internet for a bit after I moved, but I do now, so I will attempt to try to reply to everything

The only reason im not looking forward to heavy brawl as tournament standard is because i fear it may make a more defined tier list.

Im all for the removal of camping being the strategy of choice, but idk. I see more harm then good coming from this.

I'll probably stay out of this argument until more facts about each surface, but i think we should give normal brawl more of a chance considering, yes im being redundant, it is new. Things are slowly surfacing to make approaches just a little more affective. Like the Wavesmash, boost smash, whatever you want to call it.

But anyway i can't see this as being a welcome change.
I don't know what this is going to do to the tier list. Honestly, I don't think much is going to change in terms of tier lists because, right now, we don't even have a tier list anyway. If anything, it's going to unalienize the characters that couldn't deal with defensive camping to begin with, and, hell, who knows, that might actually make it more balanced

Oh my god. This thread is just DRaGZ and almightypanacke mutually masturbating.

Do you guys really have that much trouble with campers? It is easy to avoid if you're, uh, good at the game.

On a personal basis, I don't want to condone Heavy Brawl as the standard for competetive nature because the designers put all of their efforts into creating the normal Brawl mod and it would be a heaping shame to disregard it for competetive play.
The designers never designed this game to be competitive. This is a fact we've known basically since Smash 64, although more obvious evidence of this has been surfacing as of late. In all honesty, if he truly...truly wanted this game to be competitive, why would he put in tripping? That's like throwing a bunch of wet towels on the floor of a basketball game.

As I've said many times before, I do NOT have problems playing against campers. I can beat them, quite easily, by camping back with R.O.B. I have discovered a way to approach them with freakin' Ganondorf.

The problem is that I, as Toon Link, ALSO CAMP. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO CAMP TO WIN, but sometimes it's necessary with the way this game is set up. I wouldn't have been experimenting with this mode if I didn't think there were plausible other ways to deal with this problem that is sucking the god**** life out of this game in a respectable competitive realm.

Also, we weren't "masturbating", we were just posting our experimenting results with the mode, and they've been mostly positive.

Two questions for opposite sides of the debate:

1) How sure are we that higher levels of play in standard brawl are more campy and boring?

In the most pointed video posted, snake and ROB spammed projectiles at each other because snake was unable to make a successful approach. But the problem with snake's approach wasn't that ROB had too many defensive options. The problem was that even if Snake pushed ROB off the stage, ROB would just recover around snake with his absurd recovery.
The problem is that some recoveries are just too absurdly good and it makes edgeguarding too difficult. If the only kills you get are going to be from pure damage, why not spam projectiles?

So the question is: is camping really that prevailant in all the top tier matchups? Not all top tier characters have projectilves or obscene recoveries. Could we just conceede that some of the 46*(46+1)/2 possible matchups are going to be boring, or is this too prevalent?

2) Exactly what would the problem be with adopting Heavy Brawl?

Like others, I shared a subliminal distaste for the idea of actually using one of the optional game modes, as they've traditionally been stupid joke-modes. But abstractly, if the game does play better with it, is it actually all that different from turning items off or switching the mode to stock?

It still feels like it would be odd changing the game mode for the sake of making it less boring, as opposed to turning off items to reduce randomization in a tournament setting, and switching from timed to stock to avoid sudden death and reduce scoring system abuse.

How natural/appropriate does the custom mode feel? Were there videos linked earlier in this thread (I may have missed them)? I'll check it out this weekend.
R.O.B. is a top tier character in many tier lists going around. Ikki thinks Snake is the best character in the game. Oh yeah, they're up there. And if camping is the prevailing strategy, we're going to be seeing a loooot more of this.

Also, there were videos posted earlier a few months ago on another thread...I just looked and I can't find'em. I'll go look for the thread and then post the video in it here.

I hardly see why you are being flamed for this post. In one sentence, you speak a lot of truth. Seriously, its a new game, with new mechanics and new strategies. Brawl is competitive and deep as hell. If you disagree with that, either:

A) you haven't played the game long enough
B) you haven't played anyone good
C) you think having an opposing view point for the sake of having one is cool

Brawl, in its default form, is very balanced. Matches are determined (of course by skill) but also match ups and counters, as opposed to ones ability to cancel lag and move really fast. Making Heavy Brawl standard, would give heavy characters a huge disadvantage. The lower gravity helps (to some extent) automatically cancel lag, if the move is timed correctly. With higher gravity, this would be extremely difficult or impossible. In turn, in attempts to make the game more competitive, it would limit players to use faster characters.

Brawl is not Melee and never will be. Get over it. A lot of you assume that Brawl is a step back, but really, making Brawl more like Melee, isn't progression either. Oh no! Now you must rely on your OWN timing and spacing know how, instead of using L canceling and wave dashing to make up for that. I'm a competitive player, but seeing the same old top tier bull**** over and over again was lame. Balance is a good thing. Change and variety are good as well.....
We don't want Brawl to be Melee. I thought this was clear?

Have you tried Heavy Brawl? After you figure out how your character works again, you'll be surprised how much more awesome both you and your opponent can be. It's like you've been given swords to fight with instead of Nerf guns.

Heavy Brawl doesn't give heavy characters a huge disadvantage (the name would suggest that the opposite misconception is true, hehe...I tried to make a funny), but it gives EVERYONE more options. DeDeDe's shff nair is a GODLY approach now, and he can STILL do his jump and hover with d-air or u-air combo (I couldn't even do this in regular mode, but I've gotten the hang of it in Heavy). Bowser can string together combos of 4-5 hits, and he can finish opponents at friggin' 80% now, putting him at Ike status. Ike can kill at around 60% now, if you time him right, it's insane! Ganondorf didn't get much better, but he DID get better because it's now possible to do a two-hit combo very consistently with him. Heavy characters have gotten a boost in this mode, man. If anything, the light characters haven't changed much but the heavy characters feel awesome.

Ive seen the issue of how "competitive" brawl is etc pop up here and there.
A couple of things...

Define competitive.
What does it mean for a game to be competitive and how is it measured?
Is this a qualitative analysis or a quantatative one?

If this is a qualitative measurement, then I respect you opinion.
If this is a quantitative measurement, then I'd like to know how you measure it.
Competitive as in there is depth to the game, as in even after you've played it for a long time there's still things you can learn that keep it relatively fresh. Camping doesn't help this out at all.

I'm not sure if it's qualitative or guantitative...I think it's a bit of both, because I can see for myself, and many other people have, that, once you reach a high enough level of awareness and control with the defensive options in this game, you're at the advantage as a camper. I think a fighting game should reward those that attempt to do something rather than sit there and wait for something to happen to them, don't you?

Also, there's a bunch of empirical evidence on YouTube. Just look up brawl camping, click on the first Brawl video you see of a match, and it shows an entire tournament where this was an issue. Not fun at all.

Can't be done online, where the vast VAST majority of tournaments will be happening. 'nuuuuff saaaaid.
I used to be heavily entrenched in online competitive gaming, specifically a really old-school mech game called Starsiege. Oh yeah, it was fun. But it wasn't impartial. Disconnects everywhere, lag, accusations flying around. Oh...surrrrre...people still participated because it was fun, but no one ever took the results seriously. Hell, we used to have a ladder but decided to stop updating it because it didn't matter anymore.

The point is...online tournaments are never taken seriously. Why do you think Halo tournament require people to be there live and play? Even the frickin' LAN network they have said up is apparently too slow for them. In a fighting game where timing is everything, how can impartial results be based on a system that, by its very nature, cannot allow impartiality.

Of course, online tournaments will still happen. And they'll still prosper. But no one is going to call you a pro if you win an online tournament.

I read most of the posts in this thread, and I have yet to see anyone make a good reply on why the switch should be done considering it gimps the hell out of two characters (Sonic and Wario). While I know nothing on Wario, taking away sonic's one good b move so that the space animals can regain their power is pure BS.

Overall I think it would be best to try this on the side at a major torunament and see what people think. If tier brackets don't become meleeized after a few games, than go for it.
It turns out Wario is fine.

Sonic can actually still make it back with his neutral B and side+B. His Up+B is now a situational recovery. If you do it on the ground you go a bit higher than you would in mid-air. Also, Sonic no longer has to be a hit-and-run character in Heavy Brawl. He can actually do a lot of cool combos in the air as opposed to being stuck on the ground to best exploit his speed. In other words, he's fast both on the ground and in the air. My friend who regularly plays Sonic has gotten used to this and is now taking me to school because I can't tell what he's going to do next. The only way I've been able to beat him has been to force a gimp by knocking him off the stage and hitting him away. Otherwise, he's basically unstoppable.

I'm still against this Heavy Brawl idea. I think we just need to take more time and find ways to counteract floatiness and camping in the NORMAL game. To be honest, the people who are against Heavy Brawl (for the most part) have provided the best arguments.
I've been trying to figure out ways to get around camping for a while, but why do that when we have a mode that basically does that already? I've seen nothing but positive results in this mode, and while regular Brawl started out very positively it has slowly degenerated into a campfest in which no fun can endure.

I've got a cool recommendation that might confuse some people because it uses a little known skill around here called common sense.

If you like Melee, then go play Melee.

There. I said it. There's no need to change the game's system because it's not something you like. Stuff is being discovered with Brawl almost every day and it hasn't even been a month. The game will keep evolving, you don't have to force it into something it's not using a special brawl option.
I like Melee, sure. But I like Brawl better.

And you're right. The game IS evolving. But it's evolving into a campfest. I've seen videogames evolve into campfests, and once people realize it's the thing to do it never goes away. Why do you think I stopped playing Counterstrike a bajillion years ago?

I don't want this to happen to Brawl, specifically Brawl's competitive scene. This mode appears to remedy this problem, regular Brawl only seems to be regressing into a camping mood.

Btw, isn't taking off items and playing only on a few stages sort of forcing the game into a different mode as well? What about playing with stock? Everytime the game starts, it goes into timed mode by default. Maybe we should be holding tournaments in timed mode, because it's what the game is telling us to do.

I agree to an extent. I must confess-I LOVE HEAVY BRAWL. IT makes comboing so much easier and its easy to get into a groove. Then I noticed that Second jumps and even b-up's were totally trashed. Ganon can barely jump as high as the first platform on battlefield, and (just the few I've tested) sonic's b-up barely goes anywhere. Dededee actually gains no height at all in his multiple jumps.....I mean, its just too much. If there was a way to remove second jump killing and still make it that way (not to mention, some b-up's are unchanged while others suffere hugely) I would love heavy brawl. Until someone gets a petition or something and forces nintendo to change the game, we just have to figure out a way to make brawl faster!

Try LIGHT BRAWL! ITs even MORE FUN
Light Brawl is hilarious.

We know about Sonic's Up+B and Ganon's jumping problem. I don't think they're very big issues, especially considering that my friend is doing better as Sonic in Heavy Brawl and that I'm faring better as Ganondorf in Heavy Brawl as well. We appear to be gimped, but for some crazy reason we're doing better! The only variable we've changed is going from regular Brawl to Heavy Brawl, so I'm assuming that has to be it.

I'm all for experimentation and think that, with enough effort, maybe Heavy Brawl could significantly change the game competitively.

However, the problem will be that it may alienate NEW players. Somebody who might be interested in going to a tournament for the first time, only to find out that the game is played on Heavy could quickly lose interest and give up simply because the reason why is hard to explain to a newer player.
I know, the "alienation issue" was the same one I brought up when I opposed Heavy Brawl a few months ago.

But if we keep going with regular Brawl the way it is going now then there won't be a competitive scene for new players to adapt to. Plus, no matter what, new players will have to adapt in some fashion whenever they're entering any competitive scene. I thought I was the **** in Yu-Gi-Oh! back in freshman year of high school until I went to a tournament and saw card-draw techniques I've never freakin' seen before. That only motivated me more to try to figure out what they were doing, I did, and eventually I got good enough to the point that someone from Pojo's got me a job doing deck reviews and deck strategy anlalyses. If something's too easy to get in, it's going to be full of people who aren't committed to it anyway, and that seeeeeriously bogs down the competitive scene (UT2004 anyone?)

The post about Pits recovery being bad is BS. I'm serious, I was testing out tons of characters in heavy brawls and Pit is one of the best by far in gaining height. His upB gets him tons of height, better than most actually in heavy brawl. In my opinion, the ones with the worst recovery are Sonic and Wario, but thats only their upB. Their sideB recoveries work fine instead. It's much better than having everyone be able to recover from anything less than a one hit kill off the screen. I mean, with normal Brawl, it's almost like there is no term for recovery needed, since almost anyone can recover perfectly.
Yes, Pit actually still has awesome recovery.

And it's true about the recovery in no Brawl. Anyone can come back from anything, and spiking/meteor smashes are very slow unless they are extremely powerful (like...only R.O.B.'s and Ganondorfs...yes I've survived Falcon's meteor smash, WITHOUT METEOR CANCELING. That's ridiculous, why even put spikes in the game?)

It's different, I think in some ways it's better. Originally his Up+B was so slow that you could actually hit him out of it and kill him even easier. Now...I'm scared to get near it.

Lucas has become a beast, I don't know what you're talking about here. If anything, I think he's improved the most in terms of attacking than anyone else in Heavy Brawl.

People who play Wario have said that Wario is fine. In fact, they're saying he's better than fine.

I think you just need to get used to the new physics, which takes about half-and-hour to an hour. Then you can really sink your teeth into it.

I can't test it right now, but can King Dedede still chaingrab?
Apparently his chaingrabs are more effective in Heavy Brawl.

HenryMartinez

Smash Cadet
Okay, I only read up to page 9 of this topic, so if whatever I say here has been already discussed, I apologize.

When I got Brawl, I was thrilled. Then, I wasn't so thrilled. I was expecting Melee v2, but you know what? The hell with it, and I adapted, I adjusted, and I love this game.

My friend mained Toon Link, and he was a helluva camper. I would get my *** whooped when I used Ike, and I wasn't about to give up on him. I adjusted, I adapted, and guess what? his campy Toon Link is pretty predictable, I'm waiting for him to pick up on that to change his strategy.

So, I realized how dominant mindgames are in Brawl. Before in Melee, all you had to do was L-cancel and you were pretty decent with any character. Now, I had to think more, things had to be planned out, mindgames are the **** with Brawl. They're still in Melee, but I think they're more emphasized due being a new game, and a relative easy on certain strategies, one being camping.

Now, I have nothing against camping. It's a legit strategy, and you're stupid if you can't get pass it. Albeit it's really hard. It's still hard, but I still manage and I come out on top more than usual.

I recorded a best out of five, my Ike vs. his Toon Link. I stumbled across something very interesting.

It was all boring. This is coming from someone who played Melee quite compeitively, both of us did, and we got bored at our own matches. All he did was camp, spam those back A's, while I try to come up with some crazy unorthodox strategy which involved me just standing back, dodging, trying advance slowly without getting too messed up. Before you say I just play boring, I think we can all agree, rushing to a camper is stupid. You're playing into the camper's hands, giving him the upper hand, something we all don't want.

Now, we had our boring matches, we still haven't tried out Heavy Mode, I will soon though. So I figured, "wonder what could, you know, fix that?" Toon Link can camp very well, and it's an excellent strategy, no doubt, so it would be stupid for my friend not to continue doing it.

Boring. What do you add to a boring thing to make it fun?

Add spice.

I think this ties in nicely with OP idea of keeping the competive gaming alive. No one likes something boring. It's like an old toy, pick it up, play with it a while, and drop it, moving on. With Heavy Mode adding options to the person being camped at (did I say it right? lol), it makes things interesting.

Now, you can say "stfu, go play Melee," but honestly, tell me Melee wasn't entertaining. That lightning fast gameplay, all those crazy things you could do was phenomenal. It was fun, it was entertaining. This shouldn't digress from OP's ideas.

Heavy Mode changes things. Okay, Brawl is a completely different animal from Melee. It handles much differently. People didn't like that, but the changed, right?

Okay, put in Heavy Mode now. It can hamper the effectiveness of the camper-attitude that seems to be the best thign to do in Brawl. Really, I would camp to if I can, I'm sure you would too.

Now, Heavy Mode meaning your camping is not as effective. What do you do? I think you would _adapt_ and _adjust_, just how you did when you got Brawl first, just like when you got Melee back in the day, just like when you got Smash 64 in more back in the day.

Adapting and adjusting means the mind must be used. Mindgames will still be prominent, and probably even more because now you can't camp like there's no tomorrow anymore. No, now my friend needs to figure out what he can do instead of camp. This creates a much more interesting game, if anything, adds to the game, evolves it, adds that spice. That is competition.

A change of adopting Heavy Mode will be hard to pass. But if the Halo community did it, I think we have a chance here. xD

PXTalon2000

Smash Ace
Dragz (and all heavy brawl supporters),

I think you are championing the wrong cause. You're saying Heavy Brawl. Have you tried playing Fast Brawl? Play this mode several times. I think you'll see not only that the whole camping element disappears, but also that it's just more fun because combos exist and, well.. it's faster. I'm not going to go into the technicalities of why it's so good.. I think anyone who played Melee competitively will figure it out after trying it out a good twenty times. I tried Heavy Brawl but I found characters like Ganon/Dedede to be basically unusable.

(Unless I misunderstand you and you actually mean Fast mode...)

My vote is for Fast Brawl with at least 5, if not more, stock matches. After having played it all day in this way I don't feel like my opinion can change... it's too much fun.

Edit:

Good posts too, I forgot to say. But I've just gotta' suggest playing around with Fast Brawl for a good twenty matches. There's gotta' be some kind of revolution or the tourney scene will be... Well... Not worthwhile.

Top Bottom