• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spin Dash edge gaurd. (spike?)

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
So last night i was playing, just screwing around with a computer in training. I have stated this before, but I don't have anything to record matches or anything, (hopefully i will soon) so take this in with a grain of salt. I dont just go preaching things to troll and to try and be cool. I'M TRYING TO HELP.

so. anyway. I was playing CFalc and i hit him off the edge. I ran up to try and do that edgehog thing (i was really trying to figure out how to do it because no one here feels like explaining it to me) where sonic immidietly grabs the edge at full running speed.

I was just trying different things, and at this point was was running off and side b-ing back pretty much. this one time though (at band camp) i didnt even run off the edge and hit the opposite direction side b (not c-stick) and as sonic was charging he back up off the edge a little and hit captain falcon at a downward angle and did his little spin hop in the opposite direction. He barely survied, but he was at a relitively low pertentage. i was like ASODE8RHD SPIKE?! Zomggegegege.....

I haven't been able to recreate the situation with him agian (never mind high pertentage), but its something to take a look at later. and while im typing, TELL ME HOW THE HELL LUCKY RUNS AT FULL SPEED AND FREAK GRABS THE EDGE.

Has anyone had something like this happen to them?

Catfish_Mike

Smash Cadet
Nope. But that Lucky trick you're talking about is just a hadoken toward the stage as soon as you run off.

ie; Run off the stage, do a quarter-circle on the control stick from down toward the ledge.

Jooce Bocks

Smash Cadet
When you say spin hop in the opposite direction do you mean he continued doing the Spin Dash in the opposite direction of the ledge (as in the direction you were initially facing before sliding off the ledge) or did it turn you around and launch you off the edge? If it continued doing the Spin Dash regularly then it may be possible that the hop on the Spin Dash works like a regular jump in that it can Footstool people, which may have looked like a spike. Either way would be pretty cool. That's the best I can think of as I can't really practice it right now.

There really isn't much to explain about running off and grabbing the ledge. You may just need to practice it a little more until you get it. You may have an easier time flicking the joystick down then toward the ledge really quickly if you can't do it with a quarter-circle. You have to do it pretty fast, as you have to fast-fall so that you don't fly away from the ledge too far, but you also have to hit back in time to catch the ledge at sweet-spot range. That's how I see it working at least. I'll try a little more with it the next time I play and see if there are any easier indicators for it.

Luz

Smash Apprentice
Interpretation: (ignore the dashes)

You hit a CF off to the side, and he was coming back, and you wanted to jump off the ledge and side B back on. But you failed and did side B on the ledge.

---------------------------------CF
_____________O_
---------------------|

The charge on side b makes you move backwards, so you back to the ledge, and CF touched you at this point.

______________OCF
---------------------|

This knocked him down and to the side, almost like a spike, and you zoomed away.

_____O_________
---------------------|
---------------------|--------CF

Is this right? If so, it sounds interesting.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
well when the side b executes, it definatly deals damage and hits the oponent(in front or behind the spin attack). , so it could be a spike?

Trillion

Smash Ace
Oh I get it I think! I'm visualizing this just like Luz was showing. If that IS the case, then thats an awesome discovery, that could hopefully help Sonic actually get the kill that he has such a hard time with. But at the same time, it could be extremely situation because of how hard it is to arrange (as you said, you couldn't duplicate the scenario).

Luz

Smash Apprentice
I tried several times to jump a Captain Falcon into a Sonic charging up like that, but I don't think the charging animation has a hitbox. However, I did once fall off the edge by accident, but the Side B threw me back on. I think that's what he meant, but I'm still not sure.

LuCKy

Smash Master
have you learned the walk of thing yet? try it with someone else....like king dedede,sonic is probably the hardest character to do this with

but every character can do it,and it just happens to be really easy with some characters like king dedede

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I like how not only Lucky but at least 5 other people have answered Memphis on a number of occasions and he still asks the same question... xD

I think someone needs to post a video of both a tv screen and their controller while doing this before Memphis gets it. Lol.

I kid because I love, Memphis.

LuCKy

Smash Master
lol^.....but seriously memphis you got this try it with other characters before sonic....you pretty much have to do it the fastest with sonic

Majiin

Smash Rookie
lol^.....but seriously memphis you got this try it with other characters before sonic....you pretty much have to do it the fastest with sonic
Lucky I go to church and pray to you, the sonic god.

(That was me on Youtube btw. The G&W thing.)

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Bullcrap. I started on Sonic. Only takes 3 or 4 tries even with Sonic.

So it's

--------------------------->
____________________ O

at the 0 you move the the controller from right to left in a downwards semi-circle.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
no actually i figured it out. now im officially a BAMF. anyway, the diagram above was correct, thats basically what happened. I released it when he was pretty much off the edge (but he was still on the stage) and as I let go capt falcon went down. it was pretty weird.

I wish i had some capture device, so when **** like this happens i can be like LOOK LOKKLAJHDDLOKOLJOJOO

EDIT: i havent been able to recreate the situation since then, but it also got me thinking. Sonic might have something that we all are either ignoring or just overlooking. so so far now we have a fair reflect and a reverse spindash spike... like wtf? thats some weird ****. sonic really needs to be explored in more depth so we can figure out his character properties.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
its a good thing sonic is an interesting character, and a lot of us are playing him every day so that we can discover everythign about him. =D

Badakin

Smash Apprentice
i managed to do it with sonic as my first character u just gotta practice or play lots and lots of street fighter

Top Bottom