• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compilation of New Techniques/Discoveries (Updated 3.17.08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiD

Smash Master
You can still up B after the stun wears off, which happens quicker than Melee, but I'm pretty sure you can't acutally cancel anything.

Repryx

Smash Champion
^^ Pretty much got it covered usually your character blinks when you cancel....I havent doen that...

crazyasian31

Smash Rookie
is that leap thingy going to be any use?

(when you press jump right above an opponents head and they get stunned for a little and you bounce off them)

Baamage

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if this counts as an advanced technique, but while Olimar is doing his down + B move, [whistle], he gains some frames in which if he gets attacked, he will take damage but no knockback. When "Whistle Armor Canceling" on the air as opposed to on the ground, he has less ending lag but less total invincibility frames, it seems.

Source :
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=147749

Blad01

Smash Lord
Well after a long hiatus I'll be back and updating this thread. I'm not going to go through all the pages however so just PM me if there's something important I need to put up. Thanks.
Your PM Box seems to be full XD

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Important parts are bolded. I'm sure many character have the potential of something like this.

Charizard U-Air Infinite

Like the name says. I was fooling around chaining u-airs without touching the ground when i came upon this. Charizard normally has 3 jumps, but i managed to get about 8 u-airs without touching the ground.

This has the same properties as Bowser's and Kirby's infinite. It needs a proper title since it seems to not be limited to one character. I'm sure there are many characters that have something similar. The main difference is that this is actually useful (Or rather i'm sure a good use can be found for it as Charizards U-Air is a very good move) unlike the other two. The timing is insanely hard though.

1) Full jump the first u-air. You have to u-air before he flaps his wings, weird IASI properties apparently, so really fast.
2) His neck is straight from the u-air, as soon as it un-straightens, perform another u-air, like a milimeter above the ground, and continue doing so. If you managed to do this more than 3 times before touching the ground you did it.

I saved the replay of me doing it, but don't have something to upload it at the moment. But i'm sure you guys can try it yourselves.
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4104866&postcount=259

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWMyvVaAWZU

tedward2000

Smash Champion
in response to MookieRah's report on Lucario, I did in fact notice that Lucario could preform his arial down A (double kick) millimeters above the gorund, and still have the same effect, as if the move was preformed in a full jump. And concluding move can be "chain jumped" at this micro-hight.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
A move popularized in the Sonic thread but not Sonic specific:

Stutter-stepping

What it is:
A short move or step forward before a smashing attack. Rather akin to a wavedash but not as obvious.

How to do it:
Smash the control stick left or right and then smash the c-stick in the direction you wish to smash.

Other notes:
This works with both forward and up-smashes.
Down smashes or late executions of a forward smash will result in a dash attack.
Late executions of an up-smash will result in a hyphen smash (up smash with forward momentum).
To increase the range, smash the control stick in the same direction as the direction you want to smash.
Characters like Sonic and Fox that can move a good distance in their initial dash startup will benefit the most from stutter stepping; whereas characters like Ice Climbers and DeDeDe have almost no use for the technique.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
General Mechanic:

For almost all characters, if they get hit after using their Up B (or Side B in some cases) while they are in the disabled state, they'll be able to use their second jump IF they had not used it prior to the first Up B, along with being able to do everything else you can normally do (aka, attacks, another up B, whatever). Basically means that attacking with an Up B is slightly less risky, since if you get hit you'll have your second jump to get back instead of only an Up B.

The exceptions, who lose their second jump until touching the ground upon using their Up B, are as follows:

Link
Toon Link
Snake
Pikachu
Pit
Zamus*

For Link/Toon Link, it's only if it's an aerial Up B. Doing it on the ground and getting hit lets you keep your second jump. When Pit uses his Up B, he loses any jumps he hasn't used. If he gets damaged during his Up B, he cannot use it again unless he touches the ground/grabs a ledge (and won't have his jumps of course, either). Zamus doesn't have a disabled state, and thus won't really lose her second jump. I placed her there because even if she gets hit, it will not restore her Down B flip jump if she's already used it.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
General game mechanic:
Most b moves and some down-b moves can be turned/maneuvered while on the ground or in the air.
There are two basic ways of doing it which produce similar results but with some important differences:

(1)While facing one direction, tap b and immediately smash the opposite direction on the control stick. This can be done while in the air and will work for almost all b moves, and when done in the air will generally result in the character moving quickly backwards which is useful for spacing.

(2)While in the air, tap the opposite direction you are facing and then tap b. This is the more commonly known game mechanic and makes certain b-turns possible that are not possible through method (1) such as Samus's charge shot.

Notable down-b's that can be used through this method are game and watch's bucket and pikachu's thunder.

Credit goes to WarbL for the Pikachu-thunder find.

Embrio

Smash Cadet
Man its been 3 days and I still can't discover anything, all i know is how to cancel a jump into a doge so early that u can remain invincible for the entire jump lol.

haddos

Smash Rookie
Um i dunno if this is really a true technique but i noticed this with olimar that you can use your tether recovery as an edgeguard

ex. olimar is tethered to the edge marth is recovering ... marth uses up B and tries to hit olimar attempting to get the edge ... olimar then uses A to get to the edge giving him invincibility frames and dodging marth's up B... olimar stays on edge till marth passes by the edge and thus death...

um i guess it would be situational but from what i've seen it works

GreenEggs&Ham

Smash Cadet
My new technique

When will this be updated? I'd like to add a new technique I have not seen posted anywhere. I had recorded videos on my SD card but I'm not sure if I can upload them on to my PC, otherwise ill record it with my cam but it won't be the greatest quality, I'd like to upload with good quality so you can all see my new tech clearly.

Popuri

Smash Apprentice
When will this be updated? I'd like to add a new technique I have not seen posted anywhere. I had recorded videos on my SD card but I'm not sure if I can upload them on to my PC, otherwise ill record it with my cam but it won't be the greatest quality, I'd like to upload with good quality so you can all see my new tech clearly.
It wont actually save the video data on the SD card, that would take up lots of space. What it does is, it saves the movements you make in a perfect sequence along with items and everything then it just re creates the whole event every time you Replay (so it needs the Wii and the game to recreate your replay)

SuPeRCuSsIoN

Smash Journeyman
the fox advanced techs need to be updated. check fox thread for more techs. like shtl, ledge-instantshine, and jumpshine stuff

GreenEggs&Ham

Smash Cadet
My new technique

Alright I'm going to try and have the video out before 5pm [EASTERN TIME]. I have a way of recording it but it doesn't come out that great from my cam, I have a wire with a video cable to it but I don't think that'll help me much... any suggestions? otherwise I'll just upload it with the crummy quality.

GreenEggs&Ham

Smash Cadet
My new technique

I'll be posting here and in the Falco forum, and most likely make my own topic on my find... so be on the look out guys, tell me what you think...

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
It's pretty easy. Run forward, release the control stick to the neutral position, hit "R/L" to shield and cancel your momentum, hit "a" to shield grab.

vipersrage

Smash Rookie
Captain Olimar Technique

i dont know if this technique has already been posted in this thread because i didnt want to read it all, and its not in the list at the beginning.

the technique is where you use captain olimars down + b to cancel knock back from moves. if you time his down + b right the knock back of the hit will be nonexistent. i have tried this several times in training when i had 999% and was on the ground only, i do not know if this works in air. i believe there are some youtube videos out there, that i am too lazy to find at the moment, demonstrating this technique.

i dont know what to call it, and im not gonna give it a name because i didnt make it up.

i cant wait to get good at using this so i can abuse it! =P

Brookman

Smash Hero
Originally Posted by Dmbrandon
Most characters can do this. We know the spacies can't. How it works:
Jab once of twice, and during the last few frames of the second jab, you can shield quickly (Press the button, the shield shouldn't appear) and break it into either another jab, tilt, smash jump, grab or roll. People like Ike, and DeDeDe use this to it's maximum potential.

spacies can do this, their jabs just need to connect

WiiGamerZ

Smash Rookie
I had just recently noticed something VERY interesting. The CPU also does RAR's. I was recently versing a ROB, when he got the smashball and attacked with RAR while I was behind him. Does this mean it was supposed to be put into the game?

I'll try and get a video of it soon.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
And edit should be made to the reverse jump entry.

TwinkleToes said:
You are not using your forward momentum at all. Rather, from the standing position, or even with horizontal ground momentum, one can jump and instantly change momentum by smashing the control stick in the appropriate direction.

I know this is the case because I've tested it and while running forward I was able to immediately jump backwards as though I was doing a jump backwards from the standing position.
So a variation on the reverse jump is:

Dash forward, hit the jump button, smash back on the control stick immediately afterwards. So, instead of flying towards your opponent with your back to them, you fly away from your opponent while facing them.

Both use the same game principle that ground momentum is not transfered to the air.

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
i dont know if this technique has already been posted in this thread because i didnt want to read it all, and its not in the list at the beginning.

the technique is where you use captain olimars down + b to cancel knock back from moves. if you time his down + b right the knock back of the hit will be nonexistent. i have tried this several times in training when i had 999% and was on the ground only, i do not know if this works in air. i believe there are some youtube videos out there, that i am too lazy to find at the moment, demonstrating this technique.

i dont know what to call it, and im not gonna give it a name because i didnt make it up.

i cant wait to get good at using this so i can abuse it! =P
There is an EXTREMELY good chance that you're talking about Super Armor Frames (SAF), in which case, yes, we already knew about it.

ham-tomato

Smash Rookie
Probably been said but I would like to post an addition to the diminished attacks section. Namely that attacking structures and objects in levels counts on the tracker. So if, for example, I am playing Luigi''s Mansion, I can spam A on the pillars to replenish the strength of my other moves. This would seem very helpful in 1v1's where you will have time to nearly fully recharge by the time your opponent returns from dying.

Popuri

Smash Apprentice
attacking structures and objects in levels counts on the tracker. So if, for example, I am playing Luigi''s Mansion, I can spam A on the pillars to replenish the strength of my other moves.
If it was already mentioned I must have missed it, nice find.

MrPancakes

Smash Rookie
Dimishing Attacks

-When you die, your power levels get reset. Zelda/PT can also reset their power through switching(!). Your power levels are not increased by waiting, attacking thin air, attacking someone who is blocking, getting attacked yourself, or switching your attacks to someone else (thus, attacking marth then sheik then marth with one attack will weaken it just as much as using it on marth 3 times).

-Attacking an object DOES count. For example, attacking wario's bike, any destructible things like the walls in MGS land or Luigi's mansion, etc.
Does this really make sense? I was wondering about if your attacks get stale if you attacked projectiles or objects, like Wario's Bike, Pikmin, the gyro thingy XP

What really confused me was these facts together. Say for example, if you were to hit Olimar's Pikmen, would that dimish your attack againest Olimar or the Pikmen, or both?

Burnt_Thimble

Smash Rookie
New Technique:

I'm going to quote from the DOJO, the bowser special move update when its talking about his side B

"The effectiveness of this resistance depends on the damage gauge. The less damage the opponent has, the stronger he or she will be able to resist."

It turns out this is not limited to just flipping bowser over on his attack, but rather to all grabs. So therefore if your enemy is at a higher percent you can simply grab him for longer before he is able to break free. This can help more advanced players add on more damage using additional grab attacks before throwing an opponent.

For more extreme results try it in training at set their damage to 0%, grab and hit the a button repeatedly its around a 4 hit combo before they are released. Now set them to 999% and repeat. You'll find that the average combo is around 70.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
New Technique:

I'm going to quote from the DOJO, the bowser special move update when its talking about his side B

"The effectiveness of this resistance depends on the damage gauge. The less damage the opponent has, the stronger he or she will be able to resist."

It turns out this is not limited to just flipping bowser over on his attack, but rather to all grabs. So therefore if your enemy is at a higher percent you can simply grab him for longer before he is able to break free. This can help more advanced players add on more damage using additional grab attacks before throwing an opponent.

For more extreme results try it in training at set their damage to 0%, grab and hit the a button repeatedly its around a 4 hit combo before they are released. Now set them to 999% and repeat. You'll find that the average combo is around 70.
>_>

This game mechanic is very very old. It was well known you could rotate your control stick and press buttons to get out of a grab quicker in melee, and it's pretty common knowledge this has carried over to brawl. For all I know it may have been in the n64 game, too. So yeah, not new whatsoever.

megamanexev3

Smash Journeyman
I don't see the Zap Jump up there. There's a youtube video showing it well. As Lucas, it works best if L is set to jump and the C Stick is set to special. Jump, then at the same time, jump and use your PK fire. You should jump really really high.

Whut

Smash Cadet
edit: Thanks for the clarification. o:! I thought it was something different than a dash grab because you just remain stationary and slide forward without dashing at all.

Nemireck

Smash Cadet
>_>

This game mechanic is very very old. It was well known you could rotate your control stick and press buttons to get out of a grab quicker in melee, and it's pretty common knowledge this has carried over to brawl. For all I know it may have been in the n64 game, too. So yeah, not new whatsoever.
His point is that the more damaged you are, the longer it takes to break free. Not that you can mash the joystick around to break free. Or are you saying the mechanic he's pointing out doesn't WORK because you can wiggle out of a grab quickly no matter how damaged you are? Either you didn't read his post properly, or you haven't been clear enough in your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom