• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rescue for PAL-smashers - Freeloader for Wii! *Bad news folks*

dabookerman

Smash Rookie
The Freeloader worked! Im playing Brawl! I don't have a digital cam so I can't film nowt sorry guys.

Oh yeah Ill be offline 4 a bit 2 c if Brawl fully works ok? Bye!
No way of providing us visual evidence? No webcam, phone cam etc?

craiigg

Smash Lord
It's quite easy, Insert the Freeloader disc on the main menu and let the lines come across
Eject and do it again if you don't want to bypass the updates

Just ordered Brawl and my Freeloader, should have it in 2 days =)

Baz

Smash Rookie
Got my Freeloader, got my Brawl, it doesn't work. After loading Brawl from the Wii menu the screen stays black. I am very pissed off.

kereo

Smash Cadet
It's quite easy, Insert the Freeloader disc on the main menu and let the lines come across
Eject and do it again if you don't want to bypass the updates

Just ordered Brawl and my Freeloader, should have it in 2 days =)
Do you have to bypass that update or not?

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
Got my Freeloader, got my Brawl, it doesn't work. After loading Brawl from the Wii menu the screen stays black. I am very pissed off.
What version is your Wii? And what regions have you got (Wii, game, freeloader)?

craiigg

Smash Lord
What do you mean "bypass the updates"? I have 3.2E on my Wii, what do you suggest I do?
For games like Brawl the disc contains an update for that region. But because we're using an import any update from another (i.e America) will 90% brick the wii
Freeloader automatically bypasses the need for updates, but gives you the option incase

And also, to the guy a few posts up it's most likely a dirty lens or something.
Theres no reason why this shouldn't work

Baz

Smash Rookie
IGNORE ME I GOT IT TO WORK HAHA YES! You HAVE to run the update the disk comes with to make it work. Don't make the same ******** msitake i made!

dabookerman

Smash Rookie
IGNORE ME I GOT IT TO WORK HAHA YES! You HAVE to run the update the disk comes with to make it work. Don't make the same ******** msitake i made!
I BEG YOU IN ALL THAT IS HOLY POST VIDEOS OR PICS AND END THIS SOULS MISERY.

auroreon

Smash Ace
I have a few questions to anyone who has brawl and the freeloader.

Is it working?
What firmware version do you have?
Did you run the update from the brawl disc or did you bypass it?

craiigg

Smash Lord
i have a question for those who can now play brawl, can you save NTSC data onto the PAL wii?

Cheers.

I didn't think of that O__O i've only ever played Brawl on Japanese console so this didn't even pop into my mindd!

EDIT: Come to think of it, chipped Wiis can save NTSC/NTSC-J Data so it should be fine =)

Baz

Smash Rookie

Seriously, you have to insert the freeloader TWICE, then try to run Brawl, download the update, turn off your Wii, turn it on, put freeloader in, then run Brawl. That's only for the first time running it, after that you only inster freeloader once, i think.

dabookerman

Smash Rookie

Seriously, you have to insert the freeloader TWICE, then try to run Brawl, download the update, turn off your Wii, turn it on, put freeloader in, then run Brawl. That's only for the first time running it, after that you only inster freeloader once, i think.
YOU ARE GOD

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935

I luv you, thanks a lot. *clicks BUY NAO*

Baz

Smash Rookie
Glad i could help i guess. Well, i'm off to play Brawl. GL with your copies, hope you don't get DREs.

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the confirmation dude. could you answer a question many are wondering about? Can you access wifi?

Thanks

EDIT: have fun playing brawl, we dont wanna see you on these forums until after you have played for 10 hours without blinking (after you answer any important question that is ;) )

EDIT 2: most important question ever... is that final fantasy 8 for the PC in the background? :O

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
Thank you Baz, you truly are God. Although I did feel like strangling you for scaring us like that before. :D

In university just now, nipped along to the indy shop but they haven't got delivery yet. Gonna try again when I finish at 5, hopefully they'll gt them today.

kereo

Smash Cadet
Thats the japanese version no? I want the US one. I know Brawl will not require alot of reading, but I like to be able to atleast understand the text I do see :p

Meme Police

Smash Rookie
By applying foreign firmware to your European Wiis you're putting yourselves in the exact same position that everyone who tried to play the game with a chipped wii is in. In the past, when you have a -E wii, and installed -U firmware, the next -E update could often just brick your wii (sometimes completely brick it, sometimes just stop it playing games, and sometimes it did nothing).

craiigg

Smash Lord
I'm so confused to why/how the update didn't **** up your wii?
Hmmm.. maybe you didn't have the most recent update for DualLayers =s

Who else here ordered from 365games?? I got 1-2 days delivery wanted to see if anyone who gots theirs got it from there?

Also Japanese brawl is more fun than USA brawl, Ikes taunts/voice is so much cooler and playing as Japanese Metaknight is awesome but oh well i wanna be able to use WiFi properly and SSE XD

synyker

Smash Rookie
By applying foreign firmware to your European Wiis you're putting yourselves in the exact same position that everyone who tried to play the game with a chipped wii is in. In the past, when you have a -E wii, and installed -U firmware, the next -E update could often just brick your wii (sometimes completely brick it, sometimes just stop it playing games, and sometimes it did nothing).
So basically you would just have to format your wii and reinstall all the updates in case you want to get the latest updates, right? Formatting your wii hd would mean losing saves too, but can you copy them on a sd-card or something?

Andromeda

Smash Lord
i would just like to say thanks to Andromeda for starting this thread :)
Lol, thank Oskar Skog. (Well-known gamer in Sweden.) if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have known about this this fast. Plus, there was three more threads about this after mine, so you would've known it by now anyway.

EDIT: But yeah, thanks anyway.

dabookerman

Smash Rookie
Hmmm.. maybe you didn't have the most recent update for DualLayers =s

Who else here ordered from 365games?? I got 1-2 days delivery wanted to see if anyone who gots theirs got it from there?

Also Japanese brawl is more fun than USA brawl, Ikes taunts/voice is so much cooler and playing as Japanese Metaknight is awesome but oh well i wanna be able to use WiFi properly and SSE XD
I have. Today.

Meme Police

Smash Rookie
Hmmm.. maybe you didn't have the most recent update for DualLayers
The latest update could not have added dual layer support. Dual layer games have been working on Wiis before this update. Apply different firmwire will not adversely affect your Wii until you apply the next firmware update for your region (even then it's not 100% certain, but judging by Nintendo's past actions, it's likely).

So basically you would just have to format your wii and reinstall all the updates in case you want to get the latest updates, right? Formatting your wii hd would mean losing saves too, but can you copy them on a sd-card or something?
If you get a semi-brick (only games cannot be played) you can fix it by updating your firmware. If you get a complete brick, there's nothing you can do about it. You can't downgrade the firmware.

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-10TauCDu5c
For those short on time, the video summary states:
'What happens when you format the Wii system memory. For those of you who think it reverts to the firmware it shipped with, this proves otherwise. '

Lant

Smash Journeyman
WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Hopefully I (and everyone else) can get our copies by the end of this week.

Now.. it'd be nice if anyone could post some clear instructions and guildlines including what firmware versions it updates to and from, what's needed blah blah and so forth. Yeah, I know there's been some talk of it already, but it'd be neat to have it all summarized in one post.. for those of us who don't have it and are sitting here gazing into the rain awaiting the magical postman of eternal joy.

Or something like that.

Edit: Ah, also, surely it's not too big an issue about the updates? Assuming you update to Brawl's version, you don't HAVE to update in the future, do you? *scratch head*

craiigg

Smash Lord
The latest update could not have added dual layer support. Dual layer games have been working on Wiis before this update. Apply different firmwire will not adversely affect your Wii until you apply the next firmware update for your region (even then it's not 100% certain, but judging by Nintendo's past actions, it's likely).

If you get a semi-brick (only games cannot be played) you can fix it by updating your firmware. If you get a complete brick, there's nothing you can do about it. You can't downgrade the firmware.

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-10TauCDu5c
For those short on time, the video summary states:
'What happens when you format the Wii system memory. For those of you who think it reverts to the firmware it shipped with, this proves otherwise. '
What I meant was, the most recent update i've had is for Dual Layer disc support. So if this guy didn't update his Wii recently it wouldn't have played Brawl therefore it needs the update from the disc.

Ill test this in a few days but the other couple of people who recieved their Brawls didn't say they had to update..

Meme Police

Smash Rookie
Edit: Ah, also, surely it's not too big an issue about the updates? Assuming you update to Brawl's version, you don't HAVE to update in the future, do you? *scratch head*
Nintendo put an update on each of their new game releases. If you don't want to play Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, etc, or any third party game that MAY require those updates, you're fine. In other words, you may be okay (not applying updates) only if you don't want to play new first party wii games/some possible third party games.

If you've upgraded your firmware to another region version, your only real hope is that the next -E update (presumably the one released with EU Brawl or Wii Fit or whatever) doesn't brick the wii.

What I meant was, the most recent update i've had is for Dual Layer disc support. So if this guy didn't update his Wii recently it wouldn't have played Brawl therefore it needs the update from the disc.

Ill test this in a few days but the other couple of people who recieved their Brawls didn't say they had to update..
Hrm. If someone has the 3.2E firmware and they don't have to update to play Brawl, then everyone should be fine as long as they update before trying freeloader, I guess.

Top Bottom