• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge Landing

VA

Smash Hero
I've had brawl for 2 days now.
I think I've found a couple of extensions to techniques, possibly some new ones.

Firstly, remember how mew2king was infamous for his frame perfect waveland recoveries on FD, this technique is still usable. When hanging on the ledge, drop down and jump back as if you were going to re-grab it again. As you are rising, hold the control stick towards the stage and then press air dodge. If done incorrectly it will look like you have airdodged low back on to the level. If done correctly you appear to do a perfect waveland with absolutely no landing lag. This is harder to do as heavier characters such as Dedede and Ganon. From this you can dash, shield, grab, roll or attack instantly upon landing.

An extension to the Dair Platform Stall: As your character goes through a platform hit down on the control stick and your character will appear in a standing animation with no lag. This is easily visible on a full hop with Snake (press down at the peak of your jump) on the middle platform on Lylac Cruise.

I will try to get some videos up in the next few days so you can see exactly what I mean.

I don't know how useful these techniques will be, or if they have been mentioned before, but I thought they were worth mentioning.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Sounds awesome. I can't wait. Anything to improve Brawl's sorely lacking metagame.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Sounds awesome. I can't wait. Anything to improve Brawl's sorely lacking metagame.
Lacking?
Lacking?

You mean lacking as in now, we have moves that can only be cancelled during certain frames compared to being able to cancel them at will.
You mean lacking as in new shield mechanics, affecting more than just shield grabs?
You mean lacking as in a balanced roster, where more characters are possible, and more variables to keep track of?
You mean lacking as in a game that is floatier, so there are no more lame instant-combos. Where you actually have to have mindgames.
You mean lacking where spacing, mindgames, and aggressive edge-guarding are actually required to be even decent?

Obviously, Brawl definitely lacks something.

Epic fail. Learn something about game theory. Better yet, learn some common sense.

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
*puts on flame-proof vest*

Anyway, setting that aside, I kinda like the new airdodge mechanics. It's more realistic. Period. You can't MOVE into a differnet vector you were moving in unless an outside force acts on you. That's just maddness.

Madness?

THIS IS BRAWL!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds cool though

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
You mean lacking as in now, we have moves that can only be cancelled during certain frames compared to being able to cancel them at will.
You mean lacking as in new shield mechanics, affecting more than just shield grabs?
You mean lacking as in a balanced roster, where more characters are possible, and more variables to keep track of?
You mean lacking as in a game that is floatier, so there are no more lame instant-combos. Where you actually have to have mindgames.
You mean lacking where spacing, mindgames, and aggressive edge-guarding are actually required to be even decent?
Yes. Cancelling moves at will adds depth to the metagame, since it becomes more versatile.
I agree with you here, the new shield mechanics are fantastic.
Your "balanced roster" argument is invalid. Melee's roster was this balanced at Melee's release too. Brawl will develop over years of play, and a tier list will be created. More characters to choose, of course. More variables? I contest that, more has been dumbed down than added. Just look at what happened to the tech chasing games.
Instant combos? 0-death combos in Melee were very uncommon. It required you to anticipate DI and techs and chase with the correct attacks. It's completely foolish to try and argue that there was no need for mindgames in Melee, or that combos were automatic, with the possible exception of Shiek's inescapable 2-3 hitters off her dthrow.
Again, totally foolish argument, Melee required both spacing and mindgames in huuuuge amounts each, no matter which character you used. Do you know how much spacing goes into using, say, Falco's SHL approach? Don't even get me started.

I suggest YOU learn something about Melee before accusing others of having no common sense.

By the way, BananaNut, double jumping also allows a shift in your momentum vector without an outside force as well :p who ever said Smash Bros has to operate under our laws of physics?

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Its fair to call a metagame 'lacking' when its been out for about an hour and a half.

@jazriel,
'Mindgames' is not an appropriate word to use your context. At this point, theres no real mindgames because you rarely have the ability to surprise the opponent. In melee, dash dancing and wavedashing allowed you to quickly change directions, making it possible to punish whiffs. In brawl... basically you're limited to the options of grabbing or dash attacking. Fewer options=fewer mindgames.

skuzzel

Smash Apprentice
Its fair to call a metagame 'lacking' when its been out for about an hour and a half.
Absolutely.

Just because its new doesn't mean its not lacking.
even melee lacked depth right when it came out.

it would be unfair to say it had no potential.

Cant wait for the vids.

Brawl has no potential. :laugh:

I.T.P

Smash Ace
wasn't it proven that landing with no attack is equal to air dodging into the ground in terms of lag? you can basically test it in 1\4 speed if you're not sure. there shouldn't be any noticeable diffrence, and this technique seems practically useless to me, It's just edge Hopping with an air dodge, it's not a "technique" or anything new.

VA

Smash Hero
Isn't air dodging into the ground wavedashing? because this is so much faster than hopping back on, it looks like you suction back onto the edge, from way below you actually are, the animation is strange, and you can be back on the ledge with your shield up and your opponent can't interrupt or hurt you while doing this, it IS different to hopping back on.

At least try it out before saying "it doesn't work".

Or, wait for some vids.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Isn't air dodging into the ground wavedashing? because this is so much faster than hopping back on, it looks like you suction back onto the edge, from way below you actually are, the animation is strange, and you can be back on the ledge with your shield up and your opponent can't interrupt or hurt you while doing this, it IS different to hopping back on.

At least try it out before saying "it doesn't work".

Or, wait for some vids.
I will try it, never said I won't. but from what I've seen thus far(and experienced), air dodging while moving into the ground is not diffrent than normal landing in any way, and that makes it not a tech. and yes, landing can be connected into fast walking, to make it seem like you're sliding, that's what the attention ***** Icraq called the "craqwalk", only it happens with any low lag aerial or normal landing if you just hold the stick in a direction all the way.

VA

Smash Hero
OK well it's not really a lag cancel, that's not the point, but from low beneath the edge you can "snap" back on. It's really way faster than hopping back on, try it out on smashville with samus, I know it's useful because I've begun putting it in my game already.

I thought it might be classed as an advanced technique as it's not something you can do easily everytime without significant practice, it also requires some manipulation of the mechanics and has a useful output. Give it a go then tell me what you think.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
OK well it's not really a lag cancel, that's not the point, but from low beneath the edge you can "snap" back on. It's really way faster than hopping back on, try it out on smashville with samus, I know it's useful because I've begun putting it in my game already.

I thought it might be classed as an advanced technique as it's not something you can do easily everytime without significant practice, it also requires some manipulation of the mechanics and has a useful output. Give it a go then tell me what you think.
ok, but just a clarification, you mean drop, jump right, and air dodge through the edge grabbing range and land into the level right?

can you describe how diffrent it looks from the normal drop -> jump with aerial? AKA edge hop?

if you mistook me for meaning jump back on when hanging, then no, that's not what I meant. though this one was seriously buffed and is much better than rolling ATM

VA

Smash Hero
I think you have the right idea with HOW to do it but basically you appear to completely follow the curve of the level almost as if you were being sucked towards it. It definitely seems faster than just a standard ledge hop, even one done at perfect height.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
yes I did mean lacking as in lacking right now. Still hoping for more improvements. yes I know Melee wasn't the game it is now when it came out. Take it easy guys I'm on your side.

Top Bottom