• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YTP Lawl Brawl: A YouTube Poop-themed Platform Fighter! (Looking for a New Host)

Should YTP Lawl Brawl Be Rebooted?

• YES! YES!

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • NO!!

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Several years ago, I stumbled across a development blog on the now-defunct Youtube Poop hub site YouChew for a mod of Super Smash Bros. Brawl that aimed to create a YouTube Poop-themed fighting game using Brawl's (or more specifically, Project M 3.5's) engine. Now, the idea of a YouTube Poop platform fighter in the vein of Super Smash Bros. is something that I've been interested in designing ever since I first viewed that blog, as I felt it had a lot of potential given the wide variety of both YouTube Poop sources and YouTube Poops themselves available. But that in itself also presented a roadblock in the creative process - namely, the question of which characters and sources are important enough to the history of YouTube Poop to warrant inclusion. As a result, I've had to place this idea on the backburner while I focused my creative energies toward other projects, but as of recently I've regained the spark for this idea, and I've decided that this would be the best place to put it into practice!

Obviously, there needs to be an effective starting point for a project such as this, so I take some inspiration from Infinity Sorcerer's Anime FighterZ thread and include 8 characters that are too important to the history of YTP to leave out:
DR. ROBOTNIKHOTEL MARIOKING HARKINIANMORSHUGWONAMI.M. MEENDR. RABBITHUNGRY PUMKIN
(note: I did not make the art for these characters shown above. They were made by MrTomPenguin as part of this art piece that also depicts a hypothetical YTP Smash Bros. game!)
  • Dr. Robotnik: The king of PINGAS himself. Easily the most iconic character source in YTP not associated with the Philips CD-i, and for good reason - he's easily the funniest and most memorable part of the show he (or rather, this iteration of him) originates from. I think he deserves a PRRROMOTION!
  • King Harkinian, Morshu, and Gwonam: I don't think I need to explain the significance of the CD-i Zelda games (more specifically the Faces of Evil/Wand of Gamelon duology created by Animation Magic) in the history of YTP, so here are the three most iconic characters created exclusively for those games! Well, technically Harkinian was created for that Zelda cartoon that was featured in the Super Mario Bros. Super Show on Fridays, but the CD-i iteration of the character is certainly the one people think of first.
  • Hotel Mario: Oh yeah, there was a Mario game for the Philips CD-i too (and surprisingly enough, it was not developed by Animation Magic like the FoE/WoG duology were, despite what the animated cutscenes would have you believe). Also known as Fat Mario, this iteration of Mario is well-remembered in the YTP community for iconic sayings such as "All toasters toast toast" and "Where there's smoke, they pinch back".
  • I.M. Meen, Dr. Rabbit, and Hungry Pumkin: I'll be honest here, I doubt anyone would really know who these guys are (much less remember them) if it wasn't for their prevalence in early YouTube Poops (at least Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Hotel Mario, and the Zelda CD-i games would still be remembered as footnotes in their franchise's larger history). As it stands, they're basically as synonymous with YouTube Poops as the Zelda CD-i games are (rather fittingly, I.M. Meen's game was actually developed by Animation Magic, the same studio that made the FoE/WoG duology).
If you need instructions on how to contribute to this project, check out the post below this one for job details. Be sure to provide feedback so that I can keep improving this thread!

1. Submit a Fighter
  2. Roster Size
  3. Title of the Game
  4. Submit a Stage
  5. Stage Selection Size
  6. Submit a Mario Fighter
  7. Submit a Sonic Fighter
  8. Submit a YouTuber
  9. Submit an Advertisement Character
  10. Submit a Nickelodeon Character
  11. Submit a Cartoon Network Character
  12. Submit a pre-2010s Video Game Character
  13. Submit a post-2010s Video Game Character
  14. Submit a 2000s Internet Meme Character
  15. Submit Stages for Fighters
  16. Submit Items
  17. Submit Game Modes
  18. Submit a Previously Submitted Character
  19. TBD

FIGHTERS
  1. Dr. Robotnik (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, submitted by me)
  2. Scratch & Grounder (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, submitted by AlteredBeast AlteredBeast and Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
  3. Sonic (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, submitted by DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
  4. Knuckles (Sonic X, submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter )
  5. Fat Mario (Hotel Mario, submitted by me)
  6. Weegee (Mario is Missing, submitted by AlteredBeast AlteredBeast )
  7. Mama Luigi (Super Mario Bros. Super Show, submitted by Justoneguyhere1999 Justoneguyhere1999 )
  8. King Koopa (Super Mario Bros. Super Show, submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter )
  9. Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong Country TV series, submitted by me)
  10. King Harkinian (Zelda: the Wand of Gamelon/Link: the Faces of Evil, submitted by me)
  11. Morshu (Link: the Faces of Evil, submitted by me)
  12. Gwonam (Link: the Faces of Evil, submitted by me)
  13. King Dedede (Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter )
  14. Reporter & Wrestler (Rhythm Heaven Fever, submitted by Baysha)
  15. Dr. Neo Cortex (Crash Bandicoot, submitted by me)
  16. Senator Armstrong (Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter )
  17. Heavy Weapons Guy (Team Fortress 2, submitted by Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
  18. Freddy Fazbear (Five Nights at Freddy's, submitted by Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
  19. I.M. Meen (I.M. Meen, submitted by me)
  20. Hungry Pumkin (Pumkin Land, submitted by me)
  21. Dancing Banana (Offtopic, submitted by DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
  22. Donald McDonald (McDonalds, submitted by FazDude FazDude )
  23. Dr. Rabbit (Colgate, submitted by me)
  24. Billy Mays (OxiClean, submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter )
  25. Phil Swift (Flex Seal, submitted by Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
  26. Jack Black (Sesame Street, submitted by me)
  27. Robbie Rotten (LazyTown, submitted by me)
  28. Mr. Krabs (Spongebob Squarepants, submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter )
  29. Spingebill (Spongebob YTPs, submitted by Justoneguyhere1999 Justoneguyhere1999 )
  30. Skooks & Shag (The Misadventures of Skooks, submitted by me)
  31. Ed, Edd, & Eddy (Ed Edd n Eddy, submitted by Justoneguyhere1999 Justoneguyhere1999 )
  32. Vegeta (Dragon Ball Z, submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter )
  33. Leonidas (300, submitted by DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
  34. Bully Maguire (Spider-Man 3, submitted by Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
  35. Dr. Octogonapus (The Lazer Collection, submitted by me)
  36. Edd (Eddsworld, submitted by Northsouthmap Northsouthmap and TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter )
  37. Nostalgia Critic (Channel Awesome, submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter )
  38. Angry Video Game Nerd (Cinemassacre, submitted by AlteredBeast AlteredBeast )
  39. RayWilliamJohnson (=3, submitted by KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 and me)
  40. Michael Rosen (submitted by KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 and TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter )

STAGES
  1. YouTube (submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter )
  2. Mushroom Kingdom (Hotel Mario, submitted by KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 ) - Fat Mario's Stage
  3. Boiling Lava Pit (Super Mario World cartoon, submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter ) - Mama Luigi's Stage
  4. Cranky's Cabin (Donkey Kong Country TV series, submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter ) - Donkey Kong's Stage
  5. Hyrule Castle (Link: the Faces of Evil / Zelda: the Wand of Gamelon, submitted by me) - King Harkinian's Stage
  6. Morshu's Shop (Link: the Faces of Evil, submitted by Northsouthmap Northsouthmap ) - Morshu's Stage
  7. Robotnik's Lair (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, submitted by FazDude FazDude ) - Dr. Robotnik's Stage
  8. Altar of the Emeralds (Sonic X, submitted by me) or Pumpkin Hill (Sonic Adventure 2, submitted by me) - Knuckles' Stage
  9. 2Fort (Team Fortress 2, submitted by me) - Heavy Weapons Guy's Stage
  10. I.M. Meen's Labyrinth (I.M. Meen, submitted by me) - I.M. Meen's Stage
  11. Robbie's Lair (LazyTown, submitted by Northsouthmap Northsouthmap ) - Robbie Rotten's Stage
  12. Planet Namek (Dragon Ball Z, submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter ) - Vegeta's Stage
  13. The Nerd Room (Cinemassacre, submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter ) - AVGN's Stage
  14. The Critic Room (Channel Awesome, submitted by Wario Wario Wario) - Nostalgia Critic's Stage

ITEMS
  1. Super Scope (Super Nintendo, submitted by me)
  2. Super Leaf (Super Mario Bros. 3, submitted by me)
  3. Lamp Oil (Link: the Faces of Evil/Zelda: the Wand of Gamelon, submitted by me)
  4. Senzu Beans (Dragon Ball, submitted by Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
  5. Sugar Apple (LazyTown, submitted by Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
  6. Mine Turtle (asdfmovie, submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter )
  7. Aggressive Pizza (Jimmy Neutron Happy Family Happy Hour, submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter )
  8. Shrink Ray (Mega Man Ruby-Spears cartoon, submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter )

GAMEPLAY DETAILS
This game is a Super Smash Bros.-esque platform fighter.

GAME MODES

Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Job #1 - Submit a Fighter!

Alright, let's start by adding some more fighters! While the roster I've got so far is good to start with, it's clearly not meant to be the final one. For this first submission, any character is welcome, but I would strongly encourage you to pull from sources commonly used in or associated with YouTube Poops. Some examples of such sources:
  • The Zelda CD-i games (and Hotel Mario)
  • The Super Mario Bros. Super Show / The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 / Super Mario World (cartoon)
  • The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog / Sonic SatAM / Sonic Underground
  • Captain N: The Game Master
  • Mega Man (Ruby-Spears cartoon)
  • Street Fighter: The Animated Series
  • Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
  • Donkey Kong Country (CGI Cartoon)
  • Metal Gear series
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Spongebob Squarepants
  • Ed Edd 'n' Eddy
  • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
  • King of the Hill
  • Arthur
  • Azumanga Daioh
  • Lucky Star
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  • Any meme from the mid-to-late 2000s or early 2010s
  • Any internet celebrity from the mid-to-late 2000s or early 2010s
When submitting fighters for this project, make sure to do your research and explain why you think your submission would be a good fit for this hypothetical game. The same applies to submissions for stages, items, game modes, etc.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Fighter: Donald McDonald

I'm picking Donald due to his YTP presence being heavily linked to YTPMVs, moreso than any other character on the current roster. Just as in the MVs, the character is heavily based on his Japanese commercials (hence the name change) and would be a fast rushdown fighter with quick attacks to match the editing style of the MVs.

(I was considering Weegee, but with all but one fighter on the roster hailing from a video game, I wanna branch out to other mediums first.)

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
The platfighter creation thread grind never stops but might as well stop by this one whenever I can since I loved YTPs as a kid.

Job 1:

Weegee

Unknown.jpeg

Need I say more? I....Weegee. Don't mistaken him for Mama Luigi though.

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Hey, how's it goin'? I'm GamingFan1997, and I'm here today to tell you about my fighter submission:

Job #1 - Jack Black

The lead vocalist and guitarist of Tenacious D himself, Jack Black is best known among the YTP community for his guest appearance on Sesame Street, where he and Elmo taught the audience about the word octagon, a shape that has 8 fantastic sides and 8 awesome angles.
Aside from that, he's also got a rather prolific music and acting career, even doing some voice acting work. Most recently, he's played Bowser in Illumination's Super Mario Bros. movie - complete with a new song befitting of the Koopa King:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Decided to bump this thread because it's been 3 days since the last submission. Anyways, I felt that I needed to clarify that yes, we will be voting on which characters submitted for Job #1 will be added to the roster. The top 4 will be making it in, but I'd like to wait until we have a few more submissions before we start the voting process. But in the meantime, here's some new job announcements!

Job #2 - Roster Size

How many characters do you think we should have in this game? Personally, I think a large roster like that of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would be ideal for this game, as it would show off the diversity of sources used in YouTube Poop, so my own submission for the roster size is the same as Ultimate's base roster (74). But I'm open to suggestions as to which exact roster size would be most fitting! (It should be noted that this is for the base roster - there will still be DLC characters to add in the future)

Job #3 - Title of the Game

I suspect that a major reason why this thread hasn't been getting much attention is because it doesn't have an eye-catching title (YouTube Poop Platform Fighter Concept is more of a description than anything). Let's fix that. Come up with a creative title for this game (and by extension, this thread)! Something like, say... YTP All-Stars Slamfest!

Voting for the first 3 jobs will begin within 5 days of this post, so don't forget to submit characters for Job #1 if you haven't yet. If you have any suggestions as to what I can do to drum up interest for this thread, please let me know!

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
why wasn't i informed of this thread earlier :troll:

Job #02: 25 characters. It might be on the smaller side, but it's still reasonable!

Job #03: YTP Toilet Bowl. It's a loose reference to the Super Bowl. But also the fact that it's "YouTube Poop". So there's that

also seems as you asked for more submissions for characters, here's one!

Job #01:

Character Name: Michael Rosen

You might think he's happy, you might think he's sad. Whatever you think of him, he's Michael Rosen, and he's here to spin a yarn about him beating the stuffing out of other YTP icons to prevail once more. I think his moveset actually has a lot more potential than you might first suspect - if you consider the various short story videos that brought him to prominence in the YTP sphere (such as Hot Food, We're Going on a Bear Hunt or The Michael Rosen Rap) as sources, he'd have things like a scaldingly hot potato, a fork, the ability to burn your ear, and the fact that he's much stronger than any of his classmates on his side. Not only that, but according to some of his more infamous YTPs, he's even eaten health inspectors, managed to get 20,000 pounds of crack through an airport, and can carry an entire chocolate boy to school in his little box every day.

Frankly, it'd be really funny to imagine that his arcade mode follows Rosen attempting to get his work published, but nobody takes him seriously because of his status as a YTP. As such, he decides to systematically eliminate every YTP so as to finally be taken seriously. Unfortunately, it's not very NOICE to do that, and Evil Rosen shows him the error of his ways shortly thereafter.

Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget that you can still submit a potential fighter for this game!
Job #1 - Submit a Fighter!

Alright, let's start by adding some more fighters! While the roster I've got so far is good to start with, it's clearly not meant to be the final one. For this first submission, any character is welcome, but I would strongly encourage you to pull from sources commonly used in or associated with YouTube Poops. Some examples of such sources:
  • The Zelda CD-i games (and Hotel Mario)
  • The Super Mario Bros. Super Show / The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 / Super Mario World (cartoon)
  • The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog / Sonic SatAM / Sonic Underground
  • Captain N: The Game Master
  • Mega Man (Ruby-Spears cartoon)
  • Street Fighter: The Animated Series
  • Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
  • Donkey Kong Country (CGI Cartoon)
  • Metal Gear series
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Spongebob Squarepants
  • Ed Edd 'n' Eddy
  • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
  • King of the Hill
  • Arthur
  • Azumanga Daioh
  • Lucky Star
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  • Any meme from the mid-to-late 2000s or early 2010s
  • Any internet celebrity from the mid-to-late 2000s or early 2010s
When submitting fighters for this project, make sure to do your research and explain why you think your submission would be a good fit for this hypothetical game. The same applies to submissions for stages, items, game modes, etc.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 2:

26 characters. It's the same as Melee's but enough to represent YouTube Poop's history.

Job 3:

YTP Lawl Brawl

It's simple but sure, it references Super Smash Bros Lawl as well.

Justoneguyhere1999

Smash Journeyman
Job 1: Mama Luigi (DIC Mario Cartoons)
Screenshot 2023-04-23 110328.png

An widely known icon for the YTP community itself who is known to be a "Mama" for a Yoshi. In fact, the very first YTP ever was basally this Luigi.

As an old icon, he deserves a placement within the roster. He could have a moveset that sorta differs from normal Luigi and may even use a football (or is it a Stone?) against other fighters.

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Voting for the first 3 jobs has started! Please vote using the poll above for Job #2: Roster Size!

Decided to change my entry for Job #2 to 50 (just one character shy of the pre-DLC roster for Super Smash Bros. for WiiU and 3DS). In hindsight, going with Ultimate's massive pre-DLC roster as my entry may have been a bit too ambitious, especially since this is my first time running a game concept thread. I would still like to have a decently large roster in order to take advantage of the wide range of noteworthy YTP sources for future fighter job submissions, though. Also, I decided to combine the Job #2 submissions of KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 (25) and AlteredBeast AlteredBeast (26) into one entry.

Anyways, vote for your top 4 in Job #1, and your top 2 in Job #3!

Job #1: Submit a Fighter
Job #3: Title of the Game
The next jobs will be submitted shortly!

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #02:

1. Donald McDonald. I'm actually surprised he wasn't a base pick. Donald's history within YTP alone is pretty prominent, and he'd be a great Nico Nico-adjescent rep - but then his presence in the fighting game scene with MUGEN traditionally (but moreso in Rivals of Aether's Workshop nowadays) makes him a genuinely really interesting and solid pick with plenty of history. It also doesn't hurt that he's honestly got plenty of potential.
2. Dancing Banana. Moving away from YTP for a moment, the Dancing Banana sort of acts as a representative of more general meme culture from the era - though I do actually think it's pretty fitting. Not only does it have a solid connection to the era, it's also a pretty recognisable character design overall too. (Except to Roblox users, apparently.)
3. Weegee. An iconic character to include, and one who'd be pretty different to his brother in this case, Weegee springs to mind as a genuinely fun inclusion that could work quite well if handled correctly. One side note, though - I feel like his interpretation here should deliberately lean into a more stilted set of animations and mechanics as opposed to the eldritch horror aspect that Super Smash Bros. Crusade leaned into (which worked really well there, but might not work so well here.) Weegee still being spooky without bursting into a scarcely recognisable mass of flesh is possible. We were all scared of his curse as children.
4. Jack Black. I'm not 100% sure how he should work, but a small part of me imagines his design being loosely based on his render in King for Another Day 2 where he's got access to his stop sign as a melee weapon (as well as his guitar), as well as having Elmo with him for both unique attacks and for cool animations or interactions. Also, as a side point, it'd be pretty funny if he had eight consecutive jab attacks that can combo into each other.

Job #03:

1. YTP Lawl Brawl. Hey, it rolls off the tongue! I love the history behind it, too.
2. YTP All-Star Slamfest. I guess Shrek is typically moreso associated with MLG, but it's still a fun name.

FazDude

Smash Master
Fighters
  1. Mama Luigi (Yeah, Weegee's the more "iconic" YTP take on Luigi, but Mama Luigi's the star of the old, very popular YTP opening title card, so I gave him the edge based on that.)
  2. Donald McDonald (Self-vote; I think it's important to get a YTPMV rep in somewhere.)
  3. Peaches Peaches Pe - errr I mean Jack Black (Knee raises a good point about his moveset; I'd love to see him as a literal puppet fighter with Elmo, but there's so much more you could also do with him.)
  4. Dancing Banana (Honestly, I consider him more of a general 00s meme rep than a YTP rep specifically, but I'm open to having a few of those. Plus, Brain Game gave Banana a bit of a relevancy boost.)
Titles
  1. Lawl Brawl
  2. Lawl Rumble

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Voting for the first 3 jobs concludes at midnight! If you haven't submitted your votes already, now would be the time to do so!

Also, is it okay if I contribute my own votes for the jobs on my thread?

Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Okay, it doesn't look like there are any objections, so here are my votes for Job #1:
  • Donald McDonald
  • Michael Rosen
  • Jack Black
  • Mama Luigi
For this job, I decided to vote for characters that I felt were too iconic to YouTube Poop to risk leaving out of the roster. The hardest part was determining which version of Luigi to vote for, as both are prominent icons of YouTube Poop. I ultimately decided that Mama Luigi was the more influential of the two, given their role in the first ever YouTube Poop.

For real though, this is the last call to vote before midnight, so anyone who hasn't voted should while they have the chance.

Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Alright, it's time to tally the votes for the first three jobs! (Apologies in advance for the long post, I had to work within the Sub-Forum Rules regarding consecutive posts)

Job #1 (Submit a Figher):
  • Donald McDonald: 5 votes
  • Jack Black: 5 votes
  • Mama Luigi: 4 votes
  • Weegee: 2 votes
  • Michael Rosen: 2 votes
  • Dancing Banana: 2 votes
Job #2 (Roster Size):
  • 50: 0 votes
  • 40: 2 votes
  • 36: 3 votes
  • 26: 1 vote
Job #3 (Title of the Game):
  • YTP All-Star Slamfest: 2 votes
  • YTP Lawl Rumble: 1 vote
  • YTP Toilet Bowl: 1 vote
  • YTP Lawl Brawl: 4 votes
Let's start with the easy stuff - our game's title is YTP Lawl Brawl and our base roster size is 36! Also, Donald McDonald, Jack Black, and Mama Luigi have been added to the roster!
1682496309188.png
On the more complicated side of things, we have a three-way tie for 4th place between Weegee, Michael Rosen, and Dancing Banana. Normally, this would be resolved by a tiebreaker vote, but I honestly don't want to risk the chance that any of these three might be left off this roster (well, more so Weegee and Michael Rosen given their prominence in the history of YTP, but I understand the appeal of Dancing Banana as a representative of early 2000s memes, which are also fairly synonymous with YTP). At the same time, I don't want to render the voting for Job #1 meaningless by just automatically placing all three on the roster, so I have a proposition - the tiebreaker vote will add two of these characters to the roster!
Note that this will most likely be a one-time thing, and if not, then it will only apply to tie votes between more than two submissions. All tie votes will be held via StrawPoll. In the meantime, it's time to move on to the next jobs!

Job #4: Submit a Stage!

This one's self-explanatory: submit your ideas for stages to be in this game! As with Job #1, it is strongly encouraged to add from sources that are iconic to YouTube Poop. In this case, ideally the ones that already have fighter representation:
  • Hotel Mario​
  • The Super Mario Bros. Super Show / Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 / Super Mario World​
    • Super Mario Bros. / Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) / Super Mario Bros. 3 / Super Mario World (games the cartoons are based on)​
  • Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog​
    • Sonic the Hedgehog / Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (games the cartoon is based on)​
  • Link: the Faces of Evil / Zelda: the Wand of Gamelon​
  • I.M. Meen​
  • Dr. Rabbit's Incredible Ride / Dr. Rabbit's World Tour​
    • Dr. Rabbit's Tooth Kingdom
  • Pumkin Land​
  • McDonalds​
  • Sesame Street (source of the "Octagon" clip featuring Jack Black)
When submitting a stage, it helps to provide your ideas for the stage's visuals (set pieces, cameos, easter eggs, etc.) and function (size, platform placement hazards, etc.), as well as its significance to the source that it represents. It also helps to provide a music track or two that fits the stage!

Job #5: Stage Selection Size

This one's also self-explanatory. When submitting for this job, try to keep the fighter roster size (36) in consideration. For my submission, since the roster size is fairly similar to Super Smash Bros. Brawl's (35 if transformations are not counted, 39 if they are), I have decided to use Brawl's own stage selection size (31, 41 if one counts the Past Stages) as a reference, and have decided on the number 32. This should be enough to cover all of the fighters' sources (including those of any future fighters for the base roster), while still allowing room for a non-excessive amount of other YTP sources to get stage representation.

I look forward to seeing your submissions for these jobs!

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 4

Hotel Mario

MV5BNGUxMDljMmYtY2NkNy00NDhiLWFiNTYtZmU1MGI3ODJkNDI3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjkwNDM5NTU@._V1_.jpg

An obvious choice based on the CDi game where it's multiple floors and layers. The elevators act as ways to get to other layers but watch out for the Goombas! This will be the home stage for Hotel Mario as well.

Job 5

33 stages given the same reasons GamingFan1997 GamingFan1997 said but one extra stage does not hurt.

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Job #4: Magic Labyrinth (I.M. Meen)

The main setting of I.M. Meen, where Meen sends children via his magic tome to be pursued and locked away by his guardians. This stage would have a maze-like structure similar to Hyrule Temple or New Pork City (it is a labyrinth, after all). Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find your way out... IN A HUNDRED YEARS! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Stage: Robotnik's Lair

This stage is considerably larger than one would expect, with fighters being able to enter the lair itself to explore its various rooms (similar to Smash's Tomodachi Life). However, Robotnik's set up various slapstick traps to catch that horrrrrrible hedgehog, and careless fighters may become suspect to them - falling anvils, ropes pulling them up to higher rooms, various Badnik cameos, that sort of thing.

I can't get links right now, but I'd imagine Robotnik's AoSTH theme and a medley of iteachvader YTMPVs would fit as music tracks.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Hi, sorry I'm late, didn't get the notification.

Job #04:
Stage Name: Mushroom Kingdom
Stage Origin: Hotel Mario

Nice of the Princess to invite us over to beat your ****ing ass, eh Luigi? Whilst also being based on the game Hotel Mario, this stage is inspired by the opening cutscene - taking a variety of elements of the location's design for different fun references overall. Whilst the stage is pretty simple overall, we'd take a few creative liberties in order to ensure it all works. For example: the stage itself would take place atop numerous mushrooms that you can see in the opening cutscene, mainly the one next to the bridge. The background allows you to see various different things - such as the Mushroom Kingdom gate. You'll also see Bowser sneak in and attach the note and the "Klub Koopa Resort" sign to the gate, and then can see (and hear) Mario and Luigi talking as they walk along their path in the cutscene. This then loops infinitely. The joke behind it is that the stage itself is actually the opening cutscene, but you can see it from a different perspective.

That being said, songs for this stage have potential too - music from Hotel Mario goes without saying, but you could also include a variety of specifically YTP-related tracks (like Big Beat Mario) or other meme-related Mario-adjescent music (such as the Mario Gangsta Rap, Do the Mario, or Warp to World 6-9).

Job #05: I'm gonna toss out a figure of 40. Seems pretty solid IMO

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
Job #4:

We're doing a game based on YouTube, so why not make the site itself into a stage? This way, any character or locale that doesn't get in can still be represented in some way.

A medium stage with three sections: homepage, search and video. The mouse pointer will over around, clicking on videos, using the search bar and scrolling up and down (like that one section of Rumble Falls); touching it damages you. The logo, recommendations, video titles, comments, anything I missed act as platforms; falling below results in death. For nostalgia's sake, it uses the old layout, removed features intact.

Songs are from classic memes and YTPs that aren't already represented. There will also be a "background noise" option, where there's no music, just the sounds of mouse clicking, typing and whatever video is playing.
  • Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
  • Nyan Cat
  • Awesome Face Song
  • Trauma Center 2 - Gentle Breeze
  • Sparta Remix
  • Running in the 90s
  • Street Fighter II - Guile's theme
  • Seinfeld theme
  • HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA
  • Smash Mouth - All Star
  • Darude - Sandstorm
  • It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time
  • Kirby Super Star - Gourmet Race
  • Space Jam theme
  • BEGNAGRAD - Coc'n Rolla
  • The Duck Song
  • Attack on Titan theme (if it isn't too late)
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme
  • Night of Nights
  • The X Files theme
  • Shoop da Whoop - I'ma Firin' Mah Lazah [Full Song]

Job #5:
42, that's how many Brawl had if you count World 1-2.

Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Great submissions, everyone! Now, I'm going to be doing something a bit different with Job #4's voting process - normally, we'd vote between all of the available submissions, but I'd like to have at least one stage for each fighter source represented, so we'll instead be voting for which of the two submissions that are from the same source (Hotel Mario) will be making it in as that source's stage representation, while sources with only a single stage submission will have that submission make it in automatically. For context, here are the submissions for:

Job #4 (Submit a Stage):

These are the submissions we will be voting between (the one in bold is my own vote):
And these are the submissions that will make it in automatically:
  • Morshu's Shop (Zelda CD-i, submitted by Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
  • I.M. Meen's Labyrinth (I.M. Meen, submitted by me)
  • Robotnik's Lair (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, submitted by FazDude FazDude )
  • YouTube (submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter - this stage serves as representation for classic internet memes, viral videos, and YouTube Poops in general)

As for Job #5 (Stage Selection Size), we have a similar situation to Job #2 in which there's very little difference between numbers for some submissions. In this case, the submissions are:
Once again, I have decided to resolve this by combining submissions by proximity of numbers - in this case, of each array of three numbers (32-34 and 40-42) I have chosen the highest numbers (34 and 42) and made those the choices for this job. The voting for Job #5 will be conducted via StrawPoll:
YTP Lawl Brawl: Job #5 - Online Poll - StrawPoll.com

Speaking of StrawPoll, it's time to announce the results of the Job #1 tiebreaker poll:
  • Weegee and Michael Rosen: 1 vote
  • Weegee and Dancing Banana: 3 votes
  • Michael Rosen and Dancing Banana: 2 votes
Congratulations, Weegee and Dancing Banana! You've made it onto the roster!

Now that we have two versions of Luigi on the roster (Mama Luigi and Weegee), I have an important announcement to make regarding multiple versions of the same character: there can be no more than two different versions of the same character on the roster. This, sadly, means that the Hotel Mario version of Luigi (a.k.a. Gay Luigi) won't be joining the game as a fighter (though he'll certainly still be included in the game, likely as a part of Hotel Mario's moveset). This rule will be important for the next two jobs...

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Job #6: Submit a Mario Character
Job #7: Submit a Sonic Character

Given the history and influence of these two iconic video game franchises, it's no surprise that they each have quite the array of memetic sources to draw from. Let's take advantage of that to add some more fighters to the roster!

These jobs will add 2 fighters each from the Mario and Sonic franchises. Nearly all Mario and Sonic sources (both official and fan-made) are eligible to pull from, included those that already have fighter representation (such as the Super Mario Bros. Super Show and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog), but it is still strongly encouraged to pull from sources that are significant to YouTube Poops, internet memes, or 2000s-early 2010s internet culture.

Remember, versions of Luigi are ineligible as fighter submissions, since we already have two of them on the roster. Versions of Mario and Dr. Robotnik (a.k.a. Dr. Eggman) are still eligible, but only one of each will be able to be on the roster (if more than one of either is among the top two voted submissions for their respective jobs, then the top-voted version of them and the top-voted character other than them will make it in).

Last edited:

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
1. Mushroom Kingdom
2. Hotel Mario

Job #6:

King Koopa, starred in the first YTP (which is older than YouTube by a year) and has more to work with than CD-I Bowser. More villains is always a good thing.

Job #7:

Sonic X memes and YTPs were popular back then (Gotta Go Fast my beloved) and made a recent comeback. Knuckles is one of the most memed on Sonic characters and his first YTP did pretty well if views are anything to go by.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
So as not to self-vote, I'll go for Hotel Mario - plus, representing the game's actual gameplay seems like a lot of fun!

As for Jobs #06 & #07... hmm. Okay, I'm not exactly sure if these count, but...

Character Name: Wii Players
Character Origin: Nintendo Wii Adverts (mainly the one for Mario Kart Wii)

It seems they would like to play. But tell me, would you let a stranger into your home? This pair of gentlemen were featured in a variety of Wii adverts, though most prominently appeared in adverts for Mario Kart Wii, which became a reasonably popular YTP source for a short time in around 2009. In this case, their interpretation is based on a variety of Wii games, taking different elements from all kinds of Wii games.

The Players work a little like characters like Byleth or Wario in that their costumes alternate between which one you're playing as - though the other will appear in taunts and the like. As for their moveset, it's mostly made up of the use of the Wiimote in various referencial ways - such as mirroring a baseball swing or the act of punching (with a Nunchuk) for Wii Sports, or standing atop a Balance Board and stepping repeatedly to make it rise into the air for Wii Fit. Most prominently, one of their moves allows them to pull out an Item Box from Mario Kart Wii and recieve a random item featured in the game, which can then have one of a variety of different effects. Some of them may appear similar to in Smash, whereas others might be completely different!

Character Name: SammyClassicSonicFan
Character Origin: YouTube

Who better to represent the Sonic series than one of its most ardent and heartfelt critics? With his infamous sword (of various sticks and duct tape), his incredible Sonic Shoes, and the infamous Mario Backpack (as well as its magical counterpart, the Fire Mario Backpack), Sammy's ready to show the world that their actions have consequences. Let's fricking go!

As for his moveset, Sammy firmly fits into the rushdown archetype, reflecting the 0-to-100 nature of his earlier content. He's got great ground speed and the ability to build up solid damage with a great mix of both close-up damage chippers and more powerful sword swings - plus, he's able to use his various magical abilities and allies to his advantage for powerful kill moves. Arguably the most prominent mechanic that Sammy has access to is the Frickometer, which works a little like R.O.B's neutral special coupled with Waluigi's "Wah" move that people often give him. Sammy passively charges up the Frickometer over time, resulting in a "FRICK" with more powerful and potent effects. It might only start as a momentary close-range stun, but it eventually gains flaming properties, and even explosive properties! It overall leads to Sammy being a character that moves fast and keeps opponents on their toes. Nobody's escaping his criticism!

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
1. Mushroom Kingdom
2. Hotel Mario

Job 6:Princess Toadstool (DiC Cartoons)

images (1).jpeg

Well,i can't explain a lot about Toadstool,and her moveset is similar to Peach in the own Smash

Job 7:Sonic The Hedgehog (Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog)

images (2).jpeg

Another one that i can't explain,but his moveset could be almost similar to Sonic in Smash

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget to use the StrawPoll to vote for Job #5 (Stage Selection Size): https://strawpoll.com/polls/kogjk7Q6qZ6

Job #6 - Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong Country TV series)

He's the leader of the bunch... but not quite the one that you know well. Released in 1998 and based on the Mario spinoff game series of the same name, the Donkey Kong Country tv series is infamous for its horrifyingly outdated CGI, janky motion capture animation, nonsensical episode plots, and... surprisingly impressive songs (that still tend to have ridiculously cheesy lyrics). In other words, it's prime material for YouTube Poops and other internet memes. With that in mind, it's only fitting to give the series a representative on the fighter roster, and who better for the job than the first member of the DK Crew himself?

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Great submissions, everyone! Now, I'm going to be doing something a bit different with Job #4's voting process - normally, we'd vote between all of the available submissions, but I'd like to have at least one stage for each fighter source represented, so we'll instead be voting for which of the two submissions that are from the same source (Hotel Mario) will be making it in as that source's stage representation, while sources with only a single stage submission will have that submission make it in automatically. For context, here are the submissions for:

Job #4 (Submit a Stage):

These are the submissions we will be voting between (the one in bold is my own vote):
And these are the submissions that will make it in automatically:
  • Morshu's Shop (Zelda CD-i, submitted by Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
  • I.M. Meen's Labyrinth (I.M. Meen, submitted by me)
  • Robotnik's Lair (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, submitted by FazDude FazDude )
  • YouTube (submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter - this stage serves as representation for classic internet memes, viral videos, and YouTube Poops in general)

As for Job #5 (Stage Selection Size), we have a similar situation to Job #2 in which there's very little difference between numbers for some submissions. In this case, the submissions are:
Once again, I have decided to resolve this by combining submissions by proximity of numbers - in this case, of each array of three numbers (32-34 and 40-42) I have chosen the highest numbers (34 and 42) and made those the choices for this job. The voting for Job #5 will be conducted via StrawPoll:
YTP Lawl Brawl: Job #5 - Online Poll - StrawPoll.com

Speaking of StrawPoll, it's time to announce the results of the Job #1 tiebreaker poll:
  • Weegee and Michael Rosen: 1 vote
  • Weegee and Dancing Banana: 3 votes
  • Michael Rosen and Dancing Banana: 2 votes
Congratulations, Weegee and Dancing Banana! You've made it onto the roster!

Now that we have two versions of Luigi on the roster (Mama Luigi and Weegee), I have an important announcement to make regarding multiple versions of the same character: there can be no more than two different versions of the same character on the roster. This, sadly, means that the Hotel Mario version of Luigi (a.k.a. Gay Luigi) won't be joining the game as a fighter (though he'll certainly still be included in the game, likely as a part of Hotel Mario's moveset). This rule will be important for the next two jobs...
Job #6: Submit a Mario Character
Job #7: Submit a Sonic Character

Given the history and influence of these two iconic video game franchises, it's no surprise that they each have quite the array of memetic sources to draw from. Let's take advantage of that to add some more fighters to the roster!

These jobs will add 2 fighters each from the Mario and Sonic franchises. Nearly all Mario and Sonic sources (both official and fan-made) are eligible to pull from, included those that already have fighter representation (such as the Super Mario Bros. Super Show and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog), but it is still strongly encouraged to pull from sources that are significant to YouTube Poops, internet memes, or 2000s-early 2010s internet culture.

Remember, versions of Luigi are ineligible as fighter submissions, since we already have two of them on the roster. Versions of Mario and Dr. Robotnik (a.k.a. Dr. Eggman) are still eligible, but only one of each will be able to be on the roster (if more than one of either is among the top two voted submissions for their respective jobs, then the top-voted version of them and the top-voted character other than them will make it in).
Okay, I've been checking the results so far for the StrawPoll I set up for Job #5 (Stage Selection Size), and it doesn't look like it's really been used much (only one vote!). Should I just scrap it and go with an in-comment vote for this job?

If not, then the poll will still be open for those who want to use it, but will officially close at 6:00 PM tonight, after which I will announce the results for Jobs #4 & #5 and begin the voting process for Jobs #6 & #7. If you haven't voted or submitted for those jobs yet, now would be the time to do so!

For those who would prefer in-comment votes, the vote options for Job #5 are:
  • 34 stages
  • 42 stages
Link to the Job #5 StrawPoll: YTP Lawl Brawl: Job #5 - Online Poll - StrawPoll.com

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
1. Mushroom Kingdom
2. Hotel Mario

Mario YTP Character:

Yoshi (Super Mario World DiC Cartoon)

hqdefault.jpg

I could not think of anyone else so why not go for the main dinosaur himself from the Super Mario World cartoon made by DiC Entertainment? He would play like he does in the Smash Bros games plus with a few references from the Super Mario World cartoon.

Sonic YTP Character:

Scratch and Grounder (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog)

hqdefault.jpg

Another fun pick based on characters from a DiC Sonic cartoon. I can imagine them as a tag team fighter having a moveset based around their plots to defeat Sonic but will end up damaging themselves making the duo a "comic relief"-esque fighter.

Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Alright, time to announce the voting results for Job #4 and Job #5!

Now, from the looks of it, a few of you listed both of the available options for Job #4 (Submit a Stage), in order of preference. I've taken the top preference in each of these cases to be their respective votes, so with that in mind, here are the results!
And the Hotel Mario representative stage is Mushroom Kingdom! Honestly, I'm not too surprised, given how iconic the intro cutscene of Hotel Mario (which this stage represents) is. I am still interested in the concept behind Hotel Mario (the stage) as a stage that embodies the gameplay of Hotel Mario (the game), so that might be something to revisit in a future job.

Moving on to Job #5 (Stage Selection Size)...
It looks like we will be having 42 stages in YTP Lawl Brawl!

And now, it's time to start voting for Job #6 and Job #7! These jobs will each add 2 characters to the roster, so be sure to vote for your top 2. Here are the submissions for each:

Job #6 (Submit a Mario Character):
  • King Koopa (Super Mario Bros. Super Show, submitted by TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter )
  • Wii Players (Nintendo Wii commercials, submitted by KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
  • Princess Toadstool (Super Mario Bros. Super Show, submitted by DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
  • Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong Country cartoon, submitted by me)
  • Yoshi (Super Mario World cartoon, submitted by AlteredBeast AlteredBeast )
Job #7 (Submit a Sonic Character):
We've got some pretty great submissions for these two jobs! I'm particularly impressed with KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 's clever interpretation of the submission rules - in fact, his choices for each job (an advertisement character and a YouTuber) have inspired my choices for the subject of the next two jobs!

Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Job #8: Submit a YouTuber

What's YouTube without YouTubers? For this job, submit a YouTuber as a potential fighter! Once again, it's strongly encouraged to go for ones from the mid-to-late 2000s and early 2010s, especially ones whose lines or videos are prominently used in YouTube Poops (though there are a decent number of modern YouTubers whose content is also prominently in YouTube Poops and other internet memes, so those are good choices as well!).

Job #9: Submit an Advertisement Character

Submit characters that originated from, or are noteworthy for their appearance in, memetic advertisements! These can range from spokespeople to mascots to even celebrities, as long as they have prominent ties to a product or brand that they've advertised.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
1. BANANA SLAMMA
2. King Koopa
3. Yoshi
4. Princess Toadstool

1. SammyClassicSonicFan
2. Knuckles the Echidna
3. AOSTH Sonic
4. Scratch and Grounder

YouTuber:

Angry Video Game Nerd

James_D._Rolfe.jpg

I do not know if this counts but James Rolfe himself has been used a ton in YTP videos. Therefore, it would be funny to see him in a YTP platform fighter. He could fight with references to video games, reference some of his videos and exploits, etc. Just a parody based moveset around bad video games.

Advertisement Character:

Rescue Copter Pilots (LEGO, specifically LEGO City)

maxresdefault.jpg

.....HEY! Yep, it's them from the popular LEGO City commercials where a man has fallen into the river in LEGO City. I can assume their moveset can incorporate the man who fell into the river and even involve a gimmick allowing you to build the Rescue Copter which can be super good for recoveries. One controls the other similar to Pokémon Trainer here.

Plus, these two would represent the more modern era of YTPs. So, have at that.

Top Bottom