• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve never played Hades but it does look pretty interesting and Zagreus has a cool design. Just by looking at it, the game reminds me of Diablo 3, which I had a lot of fun with. I’m assuming Hades doesn’t have the multiplayer aspect of Diablo. If it did, I’d have loved to play another game like that with my brother and friend. From what little I know about him, Zagreus seems like he’d be a fun addition to the roster.

Back to the subject of figures for our most wanted characters, I’m glad someone finally made these guys. I’ve heard some shady things about the company that makes them and they were kind of expensive but I had to buy them since they’re my brother’s favorite characters. General Slaughter (the big bull guy in the back) is absolutely huge.

1715776662282.jpeg

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I’m pretty sure this isn’t the first time he said this, as if I recall correctly, I think he said something like this after Sora was released for Smash Ultimate, and we know for a fact that the team has disbanded after Sora’s release.
That's true, but that statement after Sora's release was far enough in the past that he could have walked back on it. This new statement feels too close to when another DLC wave would theoretically drop to be something that was true at one point, but has since changed.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Let's say your favorite series already reppy in smash got ALL the characters you'd want in as playable fighters, what would it look like?
Me;.
Xenoblade:
Shulk
Fiora
Melia
Elma
Rex with Pyra and Mythra
Pyra/Mythra solo
Malos
Nia stance change between driver and blade.
Tora and Poppi
Lora and Jin
Noah
Mio
Ethel
Matthew
Fine you unleashed me:
Zelda:
1715783446393.png

Of course i dont need/ Expect all/ most of them! However i dislike no character on this list!
And btw iwf you want a more realistic one i can provide that!
O wait cole gets replaced by bryne my bad!

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
It amazes me with how finality was emphasized so much before Sora was revealed, when Sora was revealed, and after Sora was revealed, that people still deluded themselves into thinking "but what if there could be more?".

People did that with Bayonetta too. Saying things like "Well, she could just be the last NEW character and we could still get Wolf later".

It's like people never learn.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
And then we get people ****ing over Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as this grand savior of their own lunacy.

"B-b-but Mario Kart added stuff years later"

Yeah. It added stuff THAT EXISTED FROM OR WAS GOING TO BE ADDED TO TOUR TO TAKE FROM.

And not only that? Nowhere was there ever any finality in the content we had for MK8D.
No one said after getting Gold Mario that the game was "done".
When BotW Link was randomly dropped as an update, no one ever said he'd be it for the game.

So how do the situations compare? They don't, unless you're desperate to make a point.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
People did that with Bayonetta too. Saying things like "Well, she could just be the last NEW character and we could still get Wolf later".

...I never thought Bayonetta being the last was a lie. The difference between then and now was Nintendo never had proof they would do late DLC...and doing late DLC for a Wii U game would be fruitless, because it's the Wii U.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm just OK with Smash being over. I'm just excited for the next game, which I think will have a much smaller roster and a unique experience.
really you're okay with it because more DLC means characters have to be added, and every single character is supposed to be impossible to you

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It amazes me with how finality was emphasized so much before Sora was revealed, when Sora was revealed, and after Sora was revealed, that people still deluded themselves into thinking "but what if there could be more?".

they don’t

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah. It added stuff THAT EXISTED FROM OR WAS GOING TO BE ADDED TO TOUR TO TAKE FROM.
Yes, and it was a MASSIVE success.

Teaching Nintendo the lesson that it's something that can be profitable enough to do intentionally, and not just because it's convenient.

So how do the situations compare? They don't, unless you're desperate to make a point.
You're the one ranting. I think you're the one desperate to make a point.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t like to say anything is guaranteed or impossible as a general rule. I agree that we very likely won’t get any additional content for Ultimate but I feel like it’s a mistake to say there’s zero chance of it happening. I just think it’s good to keep an open mind while keeping realistic expectations that it probably won’t happen. People have change their mind over time and just because Sakurai said he was finished before doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll always feel that way.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yes, and it was a MASSIVE success.

Teaching Nintendo the lesson that it's something that can be profitable enough to do intentionally, and not just because it's convenient.

You're the one ranting. I think you're the one desperate to make a point.
Sakurai is done with Ultimate and he doesn't want to work on it anymore. He only did those Spirit Events to provide something fun for the community to do while they finally released the Sora amiibo.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Personally I'm okay with Smash taking a long break. It's only been a couple of years since the last game stopped development. I'm amazed y'all want a new one so soon.
Yeah I actually don't really want them to just go straight from the last game to the next one with Smash. Personally I always liked Smash being a once-per-console-gen special occurrence. Of course extended DLC has kind of changed things away from that somewhat, though Smash has remained a game that lasts a really long time after you first buy it. The DLC also masks to an extent just how long it's been since base Ult; with DLC speculation being much more sparse, my internal clock still seems primed for Smash soon, I guess. But the main thing for a lot of people is that we're about to get a new console, which makes a new Smash seem extremely likely and drums up demand/discussion.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Instead of more content for Ultimate, a Deluxe port, Ultimate 2, or a traditional sequel, the next game is going to look to another fighting game series for inspiration.

Which is why the next Smash is going to be an action-RTS game like Guilty Gear 2: Overture :4pacman:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
If Zagreus is going to be in Smash as a fighter, they need to use Pit, Dark Pit, and Palutena in the trailer since Hades and Kid Icarus are based from Greek mythology

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I never got my Banjo buffs...
You’ll get them in the next game.

Phil Spencer was more than happy to add Microsoft to the Smash lineup. Both Banjo and Steve are coming back, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we got Master Chief or something.

I don’t like to say anything is guaranteed or impossible as a general rule. I agree that we very likely won’t get any additional content for Ultimate but I feel like it’s a mistake to say there’s zero chance of it happening. I just think it’s good to keep an open mind while keeping realistic expectations that it probably won’t happen. People have change their mind over time and just because Sakurai said he was finished before doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll always feel that way.
Of course nothing’s impossible. I’m never one to say never!

I just think it’s kinda funny that the crux of this road of speculation is people hoping that “We could still get more Ultimate!” after it was made explicitly clear that Ultimate is donion rings :dkmelee:

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Phil Spencer was more than happy to add Microsoft to the Smash lineup. Both Banjo and Steve are coming back, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we got Master Chief or something.

I just think it’s kinda funny that the crux of this road of speculation is people hoping that “We could still get more Ultimate!” after it was made explicitly clear that Ultimate is donion rings.
I think that Banjo will be back, but Steve will be cut due to extensive development and possibly made DLC again.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Speaking of figures, does anyone else here still collect them? I’ve been on a bit of a kick these last few years since I really started getting back into TMNT. I’ve actually mostly ran out of space to display them but I’ll figure something out.

Besides Amiibo, does anyone here have any figures of playable characters in Smash? I’ve got Yoshi, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Lucario, Ryu, Ken, Mega Man, Cloud, Sephiroth, and Hero (DQVIII).
I have some Amiibos (Mario, Link, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Little Mac, and Diddy Kong), Skylanders (Crash, Dr. Neo Cortex), and two that are actually both (Bowser and Donkey Kong).

I've been considering getting the Mini Slayer for a long time. I just might get it one day. lol

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I just think it’s kinda funny that the crux of this road of speculation is people hoping that “We could still get more Ultimate!” after it was made explicitly clear that Ultimate is donion rings :dkmelee:
I think that comes mostly from people not wanting a ton of cuts in the next game. The easiest way to keep all the content we currently have is to just keep building onto the current version. So I think it’s more of a hope than a realistic prediction, at least in my case. I’d prefer a brand new game that keeps EiH and adds a ton of new content but I fear the chances of that are probably even lower.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that comes mostly from people not wanting a ton of cuts in the next game. The easiest way to keep all the content we currently have is to just keep building onto the current version. So I think it’s more of a hope than a realistic prediction, at least in my case. I’d prefer a brand new game that keeps EiH and adds a ton of new content but I fear the chances of that are probably even lower.
Yeah. That would be too much legal trouble to handle, and it will also hurt the amount of new content, considering how little new characters and stages Ultimate has at launch.

chinkuru

Smash Cadet
Let's say your favorite series already reppy in smash got ALL the characters you'd want in as playable fighters, what would it look like?
Me;.
Xenoblade:
Shulk
Fiora
Melia
Elma
Rex with Pyra and Mythra
Pyra/Mythra solo
Malos
Nia stance change between driver and blade.
Tora and Poppi
Lora and Jin
Noah
Mio
Ethel
Matthew
Zelda:
-Link
-Zelda/Sheik
-Ganondorf
-Tingle
-Skull Kid
-Majora's Mask Link

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah. That would be too much legal trouble to handle, and it will also hurt the amount of new content, considering how little new characters and stages Ultimate has at launch.
Yeah, that’s why I personally like the idea of just continuing to add content to Ultimate, even if it’s not a particularly likely option. I don’t want to lose a ton of my favorite characters for many I probably won’t like as much.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If we're going by merit, Steve absolutely slaughters Banjo & Kazooie. The latter is a very well liked character by smash fans, but the former is a cultural milestone. Both would be very well missed exclusions, but I don't imagine priorities will lie with Banjo & Kazooie more than it will with Steve.

Who knows though. We could get both.

Last edited:

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
That's true, but that statement after Sora's release was far enough in the past that he could have walked back on it. This new statement feels too close to when another DLC wave would theoretically drop to be something that was true at one point, but has since changed.
Uhh, No?
Sakurai made that clear himself that Ultimate is finished, twice.
We aren’t getting more DLC for Smash Ultimate, and even if we did, it’d ruin the magical finality that is Sora.
If Sakurai is working on anything right now, it’d be his next project, not walking back on Smash Ultimate.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If we're going by merit, Steve absolutely slaughters Banjo & Kazooie. The latter is a very well liked character by smash fans, but the former is a cultural milestone. Both would be very well missed exclusions, but I don't imagine priorities will lie with Banjo & Kazooie more than it will with Steve.

Who knows though. We could get both.
I don’t like the idea of roster selection strictly going by sales. I love the smaller characters like Banjo that call back to Nintendo’s history. Popular characters are great too but I’d love to see a mix of blockbuster hits and smaller franchises make it in.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Acting like everything is set in stone is ridiculous when in early 2018 you'd be crucified for thinking the Switch Smash would be a game that spawns fan art of Sephiroth befriending a Pichu.

No seriously, I wonder how some of you acted when someone assumed the Switch Smash would NOT just be Smash 4 with ICs/Inklings/Spring Man/Rex/Decidueye, because the Smash it got...certainly isn't that.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Instead of more content for Ultimate, a Deluxe port, Ultimate 2, or a traditional sequel, the next game is going to look to another fighting game series for inspiration.

Which is why the next Smash is going to be an action-RTS game like Guilty Gear 2: Overture :4pacman:
As much as this is probably a joke, I honestly think a spin-off of sorts that'd basically be Smash but as a tradfighter could be pretty fun if handled well. Obviously Nintendo would never want to touch the tradfighter genre with a 20 foot pole unless its entire command list was made up of SF6-style "modern controls" with no option for more complex ones but like I think there's a lot of cool stuff you could do with Nintendo characters in a tradfighter of some kind

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
No seriously, I wonder how some of you acted when someone assumed the Switch Smash would NOT just be Smash 4 with ICs/Inklings/Spring Man/Rex/Decidueye, because the Smash it got...certainly isn't that.
Watching this conversation from afar, I'm just finding it really funny how you're arguing the chance that they continue with Smash Ult into the Switch 2 by saying they took the previous unconventional choice of... not continuing with Smash 4 into the Switch (granted, Ult very clearly uses Smash 4 as a base... but that's due to the 2 consoles similar visual fidelity, something that the switch certainly won't share with the next console)

Noipoi

Howdy!
Acting like everything is set in stone is ridiculous when in early 2018 you'd be crucified for thinking the Switch Smash would be a game that spawns fan art of Sephiroth befriending a Pichu.

Ehhhhh that’s a little different though.

See, the assumptions of early Ultimate speculation (Smash 4 with squids) were just that, assumptions. There was no official word given that the game would be a port of Wii U, the fandom just squabbled with eachother and decided that’s how it was.

Sakurai himself has outright said that Ultimate is finished. Theres no room for assumption, that’s the official decree. And yes technically nothing’s set in stone, things could change, change is the one constant in this life. But if the man himself says something I’m inclined to believe him.

Top Bottom