• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
So this question's been kicking around my head for a while, and while I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask it, I'd like to see what people here think.

What are some character archetypes you'd like to see included in Smash in the future? Whether they be mechanical or aesthetic, what are some niches you'd like to see filled?
Vampire and Stand User.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What are some character archetypes you'd like to see included in Smash in the future? Whether they be mechanical or aesthetic, what are some niches you'd like to see filled?
A musician, boy do I want a musician. Music is such a crucial part of Nintendo's legacy and identity too, so it just feels like a shame we haven't had anyone explore this beyond... Jigglypuff I guess? Donkey Kong's final smash in Brawl? But we have a slew of Rhythm Heaven characters, and we have DJ Octavio or any of the Splatoon idols. Wouldn't be my first choice, but KK Slider swinging around his guitar would be a joy too. Pauline, I guess? Kass with some stretchy accordion antics? You could go pretty wild with this if you wanted.

For as many fun choices as there are available, I really hope next game is the one that decides to put this in motion. Because it's kind of glaring, in a roster of such quirky characters that nobody is swinging around a microphone or a guitar yknow? Much smaller rosters have gotten to this far quicker - Dee Jay, Lord Raptor, I-No... just a bit baffling that it's taken this long in the Nintendo crossover game of all things.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
So this question's been kicking around my head for a while, and while I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask it, I'd like to see what people here think.

Pure toon physics. Like Looney Tunes ****.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Also, I would like to see a space bender in Smash, like the Pokeball Pokemon, Palkia. Maybe both a space AND time bender, but I would especially love a space bender character in Smash. Not just teleporting and all that.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I'd love some kind of summoner character. Something a bit similar to Rosalina and Luma, but the assist characters would only come periodically instead of always being here, similar to Captain Ginyu in Dragon ball fighterZ or Angry beavers in Nasb 2 (but without the swap mechanics).

The main character I would have in mind would be a Advance wars character like Andy or Sami. They could summon tanks and infantries to help them fight. I think Akira from Astral chain could also work like that, although it wouldn't be 100% accurate to the source because you can usually use the legion for a pretty long time.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

I would like to see more of existing ones and add ones like a dedicated staff user (Kilik or Krystal), another grappler (NES Pro Wrestler or King), more Ninjas pls! (Ryu H or Jago or heck Scorpion and Subby count as ninjas I think... Onimusha guy or Kage) and umm more casters but not sure who.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

character archetypes eh? how about mushroom man, happiness robot and genius mechanic? maybe a white box, archaeology professor, ghost cat and defence lawyer? you can’t go wrong with sci fi police man, ghost king, bread dog, octo humanoid etc

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I want to see another robot character.

Games with robots tend to go under the radar and thus would probably never be picked.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
How about a clone person who clones himself and uses those clones in battle for an archetype, similar to, but not the same as Kirby's Mass Attack or whatever that game was called?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
A musician, boy do I want a musician. Music is such a crucial part of Nintendo's legacy and identity too, so it just feels like a shame we haven't had anyone explore this beyond... Jigglypuff I guess? Donkey Kong's final smash in Brawl? But we have a slew of Rhythm Heaven characters, and we have DJ Octavio or any of the Splatoon idols. Wouldn't be my first choice, but KK Slider swinging around his guitar would be a joy too. Pauline, I guess? Kass with some stretchy accordion antics? You could go pretty wild with this if you wanted.

For as many fun choices as there are available, I really hope next game is the one that decides to put this in motion. Because it's kind of glaring, in a roster of such quirky characters that nobody is swinging around a microphone or a guitar yknow? Much smaller rosters have gotten to this far quicker - Dee Jay, Lord Raptor, I-No... just a bit baffling that it's taken this long in the Nintendo crossover game of all things.
Musician is a big want from me too actually! Marin from Zelda could be pretty cool too, especially after seeing her portrayal in Hyrule warriors. Even if you don't want to create a new characters, I really wish that when they separated Sheik from Zelda they would have gave Sheik the harp in some way instead of doubling down with them being a generic Ninja archetype. You could also give Toon Link a move with the Wind waker in some way.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
How about a clone person who clones himself and uses those clones in battle for an archetype, similar to, but not the same as Kirby's Mass Attack or whatever that game was called?
I do think if you can get the balance (and understanding of the console's limitations of that many figures on screen) that AoC Impa with her clone ability has some real potential.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I do think if you can get the balance (and understanding of the console's limitations of that many figures on screen) that AoC Impa with her clone ability has some real potential.
Thanks. I don't mean a whole lot of clones, to be precise, and they don't have to follow the character's every move like the Ice Climbers. Still, I think such a character could be fun.

Noipoi

Howdy!
**** it, music time.

Post music from recent games you want in the next Smash.

I'll start

And Piranha Plants on Parade better get a full remix :239:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
character archetypes eh? how about mushroom man, happiness robot and genius mechanic? maybe a white box, archaeology professor, ghost cat and defence lawyer? you can’t go wrong with sci fi police man, ghost king, bread dog, octo humanoid etc
Those aren't even archetypes. Those are just two word descriptions that specifically apply to characters on your wishlist.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
**** it, music time.

I'll start

Glad you're bringing this up right now, because I was literally talking with some friends earlier today about how cool it would be if we get music update alongside spirits update to represent newer games. I'm not going to list every music I would like because I could go on and on, but here's 2-3 song from more recent Nintendo games that I would like:
Super Mario bros wonder: Grassland theme, Athletic theme and Airship theme
Mario + Rabbids sparks of hope: Metagalactic marauders, Icy battle ballet and Phantom razzmatazz
Pokémon legends Arceus: Galaxy expedition hq, Battle Volo and Battle vs original Dialga and Palkia
Fire emblem engage: Emblem engage, Bloom in the breeze, Royal confidence
Animal crossing new horizons: Main theme, 5pm and Halloween theme
Xenoblade chronicles 3: Weight of life, Immediate threat and You will know our names finale
Astral chain: Savior, Ark mall combat and Dark hero
Pac-Man 99: Main theme and Top 50
Bayonetta 3: AI fine, G()st

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
**** it, music time.
Pikmin 4 doesn't have as much real melodies as the previous titles, but there's still some bangers in there.
Especially that last one, it's my favorite theme from Pikmin 4 period.

The Final boss theme would work too, but not posting it because spoilers.

I'd love this next theme too, but only if the stage includes the Groovy Long Legs itself, since its theme is canonically dietetic and it'd be weird to have its music without the monster itself. Perhaps it could be seen stomping in the background to the beat just like it does in-game. It can speed up as the match goes on, too.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
But we have a slew of Rhythm Heaven characters, and we have DJ Octavio or any of the Splatoon idols. Wouldn't be my first choice, but KK Slider swinging around his guitar would be a joy too. Pauline, I guess? Kass with some stretchy accordion antics? You could go pretty wild with this if you wanted.
Don’t forget Azura from Fire Emblem, a character that I personally would’ve preferred over Corrin.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Speaking of archetypes, is being lucky good enough to be an archetype? I mean, having a luck meter that the player can use anytime when the meter is full to any extent to achieve any effect depending on how much the meter is filled to make good things happen for the character would be fun.

...And that is just one way of making a character that is lucky.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I'll know nothing about Pokémon speculation going forward. Lost interest in the franchise when Sword & Shield didn't look impressive to me and now I'm not keeping up with the series' recent output. Part of me unironically wants :162: but thats a pipe dream and a half.
**** it, music time.

I'll start

With the remaster coming soon they have no excuse not to include this

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I'll know nothing about Pokémon speculation going forward. Lost interest in the franchise when Sword & Shield didn't look impressive to me and now I'm not keeping up with the series' recent output. Part of me unironically wants :162: but thats a pipe dream and a half.

With the remaster coming soon they have no excuse not to include this
Ah jeez, that reminds me... Paper Mario representation in Smash could be so much more, but we just have a handful of spirits and what I could easily consider one of the worst stages in the entire Smash series.

The Paper Mario stage has almost no character cameos (arguably one of the biggest points of not only Paper Mario but every Mario RPG series in general. Yes, the whale and blooper are there, but I've almost never seen them actually show up in-game), and instead of having stand-out locations to fight on, they picked... the windmill from Sticker Star (with a very awkward stage layout), a generic Bowser's Castle (that has the worst stage layout i've ever played on, it's worse than 75m and I'm not even kidding), and the S. S. Flavion as opposed to literally any other location from TTYD like Boggly Woods, the Glitz Pit, or Creepy Steeple?

You're telling me you couldn't get like, Vivian or Goombella or whatever to show up in the background? Not even a handful of generic paper toads? What's the deal with that? The stage feels so lifeless and empty, and the theming is really dull. 2/3's of the actual stage layouts are bad, too. What the heck happened here?

I hope we can get a good Paper Mario stage in the future that includes the things people actually like about Paper Mario. A Rogueport stage would be dope, especially if it's bustling with all the NPCs that can be found there.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Speaking of which, we could use a proper Bowser's Castle stage.
I'm curiou show they would aproach the stage, as there has been so many variations of Bowsers's Castle. They could make a Bowser's Castle that amalgamates many of the themes and hazards it has had over the years, or they could maybe focus on one specific iteration. I can see them doing the latter if they want to include something in the stage that would obviously link it to a specific game, like having Exor or the effects of the Wonder Flower altering things.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I forgot bandana wearing spear user

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Speaking of archetypes, is being lucky good enough to be an archetype? I mean, having a luck meter that the player can use anytime when the meter is full to any extent to achieve any effect depending on how much the meter is filled to make good things happen for the character would be fun.

...And that is just one way of making a character that is lucky.
Hm like an RNG character but more forgiving maybe like Setzer's SLOT at least you get the weaker Lagomorph attack if you can't match anything else so at least you're always attacking but I still think having every button being RNG is kinda too much and definitely not recovery lol

Ooo Setzer for Smash!

did someone say music time 🥰

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I'm curiou show they would aproach the stage, as there has been so many variations of Bowsers's Castle. They could make a Bowser's Castle that amalgamates many of the themes and hazards it has had over the years, or they could maybe focus on one specific iteration. I can see them doing the latter if they want to include something in the stage that would obviously link it to a specific game, like having Exor or the effects of the Wonder Flower altering things.
I'd like an amalgamation Bowser's castle with a layer of lava down in the bottom blast zone, some Thwomps as hazards, and a Reznor wheel in the center since that seems like a really fun platform layout for a platform fighter. I'd make the platforms longer than they are in SMW, they'd basically act as soft platforms in Smash.

1705274354007.png

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hm like an RNG character but more forgiving maybe like Setzer's SLOT at least you get the weaker Lagomorph attack if you can't match anything else so at least you're always attacking but I still think having every button being RNG is kinda too much and definitely not recovery lol

Ooo Setzer for Smash!

did someone say music time 🥰
Um yeah, I do not mean RNG. If it means anything different, it is kind of like Luigi's Final Smash in Brawl, except more positive, such as getting a stronger dash attack at the right time or having items come over to the character.

That may be hard to program, though.

Laniv

Smash Champion

Mechanical:
Character focused on defense rather than offense or speed (perhaps a character who exclusively uses a shield?)
Ditto Fighter-- a character who uses a random character's moveset when selected (possibly redundant with the random button)
Debuff fighter-- a character who relies on weakening their opponent (think anti-Shulk)

Aesthetic:
A cowboy (possibly Dillon or Wild Gunman?)
A (full-time, seafaring) pirate (possibly Captain Syrup or Tetra?)
A hammer user (I just like hammers. Possibly Amy Rose or Yangus?)
A magic user (possibly Kamek, Magolor, Ashley? Hilda if you need a Zelda echo)
A dance battler (possibly Jimmy T., Richard Meyer, or Shermie?)
Musician (possibly Azura, Cadence, I-No, Meloetta?)
Food/chef themed fighter (possibly Chef Kawasaki or Cooking Mama?)
A ghost (possibly King Boo or [insert your favorite ghost type Pokémon here]?)
A Christmas-themed fighter (...Delibird???)
Joke character (a character specifically designed to be bad. Possibly Glass Joe, Magikarp, or Sandbag?)

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

For aesthetic;

Ninja - Funny enough, there's yet to be a traditional ninja in the series. Apart from my personal pick Ryu Hayabusa, there's also Joe Musashi and Strider Hiryu.

Delinquent - No better characters to fit that than video game's iconic banchōs Kunio and Riki.

Bruce Lee character - Billy and Jimmy Lee, as well as the Double Dragon series itself takes a lot of elements from Bruce Lee, so I think they're the best fit.

For mechanical;

FPS (First Person Shooter) - That still has yet to be represented in Smash. I believe this could involved using some kind of Gun Selection feature (similar to Hero's Command Selection).

Beat'em up - Something else that hasn't been represented by the genre. However, I am a fan of this genre and feel that a Technos Japan rep is the best for that. I believe the best mechanic that involves beating up multiple enemies would be the best for characters like that.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Personally I'd just go with Bowser castle from Odyssey. I just love way too much the aesthetic and I'm probably biased but imo it's by far the most iconic and memorable Bowser castle ever was.

Top Bottom