• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters as Costumes & Costumes in General

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Considering so many Nintendo protagonists in the Switch era alone have earned dress-up capability to varying extents, I hope this is the case.
They had the right idea with Wario in Brawl and Mac in Smash 4, with the alts getting their own full sets of colors. I don't know why they walked that back.

Even if it was to keep every character at 8 costumes, I'd still have to ask why?

Costume distribution still winds up lopsided because some characters actually get to have unique alts while others don't.

And even for those that do, it's done oddly as well. Mario gets three unique costumes but the two alts only get 1 color. Characters like Wario get an even split between his outfits. Joker gets two looks which could work as an even 4/4; split but they went with a 6/2 instead for whatever reason.

Even in cases like Bowser Jr and the Koopalings, if they kept the same system and just upped the costume count to 16 like Smash 4 Little Mac, you could just give each Koopa one alt color at the very least.

Plus, even if not every character is going to get an alt costume, people would still like the extra colors. You could even fill a lot of them out with colors that got replaced over the course of series. And it's like there's a shortage of other color combos to with. Plenty of other palettes to reference old art, power ups, other characters or even more original stuff that just looks nice.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
They had the right idea with Wario in Brawl and Mac in Smash 4, with the alts getting their own full sets of colors. I don't know why they walked that back.
at a guess i'd say the more limited development period ultimate had

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Speaking of personalitys!
What about dark link? Dark meta knight and stuff!
You know evil versions of heroes i mean Dark pit is much nicer (and similar looking) than those two yet hes a diffrent character!
Granted the dark Link costumes probably exist cause that way you get two dark links Smol and big!
But Still ive seen people say we should just put all 4 main kirby knights over meta although only dark works somewhat!

Galacta has a lance and morpho has a giant sword!

On a diffrent note cxhampion link really should just HAVE All classic links as alts i mean he literally wears their outfits:
Champion
1714222158453.png
1714222215025.png
1714222284204.png
1714222264902.png

Classics:
1714222023527.png
1714222040610.png
1714222069236.png
1714222112004.png

1714222323940.png
<Only if you dont give toon link this look
Others:
1714222418688.png
1714222460999.png
1714222501733.png
1714222527640.png
1714222562136.png

These are just a couple of his wardrobe I would personally say the all the Champions, Classics and Dark and fierce deity would suffice!

Quillion

Smash Hero
Speaking of personalitys!
What about dark link? Dark meta knight and stuff!
You know evil versions of heroes i mean Dark pit is much nicer (and similar looking) than those two yet hes a diffrent character!
Giving the Dark Link costumes different idles, taunts, and probably entrance anims doesn't sound bad tbh.

The three other Kirby knights, not so much.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Tangentially related take, but if the Smash series were to go on, one thing I'd like to see is a more modern format for character customisation when it comes to costumes, alts, and so forth. Here's an (edited) mockup I threw together a while back;

Essentially...
  • You select a "costume" and a "colour" seperately.
  • Each "costume" can have minor unique elements as needed beyond just a different model - things like voicelines, appearances of attacks, and victory animations could change too. This wouldn't change gameplay elements, though - that's reserved for echo fighters.
  • Obviously some of these costumes would be entirely different characters, some would be alternate costumes... and some could literally just be made up for the sake of looking cool, or references to entirely other things.
  • Each "costume" also has 12 default alts designed by the dev team with different references in mind - or just to look cool. In this example, Mario's "Modern" costume has a Fire Mario alt.
  • Additionally, they'd have four more custom alts you could put together with a colour wheel. For each character, it wouldn't go much deeper than just being able to select a "colour" prominent on them and change it - so for Mario, you could change the blue of his overalls, the red of his shirt and hat, and maybe his skintone. (This works as a form of customisation that wouldn't need moderation, so you don't need to worry about Mario calling you a slur every time he does a forward smash or something.)
Giving the Dark Link costumes different idles, taunts, and probably entrance anims doesn't sound bad tbh.
This would go really hard, honestly. One additional thing I'd recommend - y'know how when characters walk or run in Mementos, there's that effect around their feet? I think it'd be cool for Dark Link to have a unique thing where when running or walking, he has a splashing water effect around his feet - as in, calling back to his boss fight in Ocarina of Time. I can't imagine it'd cause too many headaches balance-wise, right?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Tangentially related take, but if the Smash series were to go on, one thing I'd like to see is a more modern format for character customisation when it comes to costumes, alts, and so forth. Here's an (edited) mockup I threw together a while back;

Essentially...
  • Each "costume" can have minor unique elements as needed beyond just a different model - things like voicelines, appearances of attacks, and victory animations could change too. This wouldn't change gameplay elements, though - that's reserved for echo fighters.
  • Obviously some of these costumes would be entirely different characters, some would be alternate costumes... and some could literally just be made up for the sake of looking cool, or references to entirely other things.
  • Each "costume" also has 12 default alts designed by the dev team with different references in mind - or just to look cool. In this example, Mario's "Modern" costume has a Fire Mario alt.
  • Additionally, they'd have four more custom alts you could put together with a colour wheel. For each character, it wouldn't go much deeper than just being able to select a "colour" prominent on them and change it - so for Mario, you could change the blue of his overalls, the red of his shirt and hat, and maybe his skintone. (This works as a form of customisation that wouldn't need moderation, so you don't need to worry about Mario calling you a slur every time he does a forward smash or something.)

This would go really hard, honestly. One additional thing I'd recommend - y'know how when characters walk or run in Mementos, there's that effect around their feet? I think it'd be cool for Dark Link to have a unique thing where when running or walking, he has a splashing water effect around his feet - as in, calling back to his boss fight in Ocarina of Time. I can't imagine it'd cause too many headaches balance-wise, right?
Yes More costumes would be great although 12 colours might be too much i think 10 or 8 colors are better!

Oracle Link

Smash Master

1714738834712.png
1714738918327.png
Here are the ALts:
Hero of Winds Default:
1. Default
2. Red
3. Blue
4. Purple
5. Zelda 1
6. Dark Link

Outset island link:
7. Outset island link

Conductor Link:
8. Conductor link

"toy" Link:
9. Default
10. Shadow Link

Attachments

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
So, I've been thinking about what kind of costumes to give for Pokémon since they generally don't wear clothes. Actual costumes do exist already, with even Smash doing this through hats and accessories for Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Pichu. Full on alternate costumes though remain a bit more limited.

An idea I've been thinking about is adding trainers to the solo Pokémon as their "costume." The Pokémon themselves still need something else on their bodies to differentiate them from each other but I think it'd a neat way to rep more of the human characters by adding them as background trainers for certain Pokémon.

So as an example:

:ultpikachu:SoloChaseElainePoké KidRed

:ultlucario:SoloMayleneRileyKorrinaCynthia

:ultincineroar:SoloElioSeleneMasked RoyalProf. Kukui

Then the trainers themselves could also have palette swaps to match the Pokémon or even different outfits themselves in certain cases, like using some of what was introduced in Masters EX, etc.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So, I've been thinking about what kind of costumes to give for Pokémon since they generally don't wear clothes. Actual costumes do exist already, with even Smash doing this through hats and accessories for Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Pichu. Full on alternate costumes though remain a bit more limited.

An idea I've been thinking about is adding trainers to the solo Pokémon as their "costume." The Pokémon themselves still need something else on their bodies to differentiate them from each other but I think it'd a neat way to rep more of the human characters by adding them as background trainers for certain Pokémon.

So as an example:

Then the trainers themselves could also have palette swaps to match the Pokémon or even different outfits themselves in certain cases, like using some of what was introduced in Masters EX, etc.
nope you’ve put in kukui, terrible idea

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
nope you’ve put in kukui, terrible idea
What's wrong with Kukui exactly? Is it an anime thing? (Haven't watched the Pokémon anime past Gen 4.) Otherwise, Incineroar doesn't have as many options, hence why I technically used Kukui twice.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What's wrong with Kukui exactly? Is it an anime thing? (Haven't watched the Pokémon anime past Gen 4.) Otherwise, Incineroar doesn't have as many options, hence why I technically used Kukui twice.
I spent all of gen 7 listening to him talk about how great he was and then found he only made a league just so he call himself champion

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion

So as an example:

To be honest, I've always quite liked the idea of Pokémon having trainers in the background by default (aside from instances where that wouldn't make sense, like Mewtwo) and this honestly seems like a cool way of handling it

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I spent all of gen 7 listening to him talk about how great he was and then found he only made a league just so he call himself champion
I didn't think he was a very interesting character myself, but that seems like kind of an uncharitable recollection/misinterpretation of events. I only play Pokémon games once, so perhaps I'm misremembering, but he was more of a goofball who just really wanted Alola to have its own league after taking on the one in Kanto no? Given the fact that's he's the one spearheading the project, has actual league experience, and is genuinely one of, if not, the strongest trainer in the region, him being its first/default champion just makes sense, doesn't it?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I didn't think he was a very interesting character myself, but that seems like kind of an uncharitable recollection/misinterpretation of events. I only play Pokémon games once, so perhaps I'm misremembering, but he was more of a goofball who just really wanted Alola to have its own league after taking on the one in Kanto no? Given the fact that's he's the one spearheading the project, has actual league experience, and is genuinely one of, if not, the strongest trainer in the region, him being its first/default champion just makes sense, doesn't it?
maybe, but the bit where he confronts guzma made he seem rather condescending. plus the way everyone acts as though you do love the guy didn’t help

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
maybe, but the bit where he confronts guzma made he seem rather condescending. plus the way everyone acts as though you do love the guy didn’t help
The other characters don't act as though you, the player, like the guy though. They like him, because he's a well-known and respected member of the community, he's the region's professor after all.

I also don't read the confrontation between the two to paint Kukui all that poorly either. Guzma entered the encounter already being the cocky and condescending one. The whole point of that scene was that he and Team Skull are you know, the bad guys; disliked by the general public. This is also reflected in the two being sort of parallels in some ways, hence why they have the two meet in the first place.

Kukui did take a jab, but it was less about putting Guzma down and more about trying to convince him that he's on the wrong path. He even follows it up with the usual spirit of adventure and friendship with your Pokémon spiel.

That's neither here nor there though.

Back to the actual thread topic, now that you brought up Guzma, I'd personally like to see his sunglasses be given to a Pokémon as a costume/accessory. Any other characters in mind who you want them to pull from for that sort of thing?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The other characters don't act as though you, the player, like the guy though. They like him, because he's a well-known and respected member of the community, he's the region's professor after all.

I also don't read the confrontation between the two to paint Kukui all that poorly either. Guzma entered the encounter already being the cocky and condescending one. The whole point of that scene was that he and Team Skull are you know, the bad guys; disliked by the general public. This is also reflected in the two being sort of parallels in some ways, hence why they have the two meet in the first place.

Kukui did take a jab, but it was less about putting Guzma down and more about trying to convince him that he's on the wrong path. He even follows it up with the usual spirit of adventure and friendship with your Pokémon spiel.

That's neither here nor there though.

Back to the actual thread topic, now that you brought up Guzma, I'd personally like to see his sunglasses be given to a Pokémon as a costume/accessory. Any other characters in mind who you want them to pull from for that sort of thing?
i meant it was like the game was trying to tell you to like him. as for them being opposites it might have worked better if they had both had actually failed at becoming a trail captain as guzma thought. instead it was he chose not to cause he could do what ever he wanted cause he's so great.

as for a pokemon wearing guzma's glasses i feel like i've seen that somewhere. i think maybe in pokemon go they had a a special pikachu, probably, wearing them. so there is precedent for it

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Essentially...
I honestly like this idea a lot! With that being said, let’s say each character had 4 costumes each, with each costume having a unique set of 12 colors. Which characters would benefit the most from a system like this?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I honestly like this idea a lot! With that being said, let’s say each character had 4 costumes each, with each costume having a unique set of 12 colors. Which characters would benefit the most from a system like this?
I think the question is less who would benefit most and more who would struggle the most to fill those 4 sets. I think most of the characters currently in Smash could fill out 4 unique costumes quite easily, it's when you get to single/limited appearance characters :ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultwiifittrainer: or special cases like :ultgnw::ultrob: that you run into cases where they won't really have any options unless you start creating Smash original costumes.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
I reckon it depends how you handle them. Characters from games with actual costume systems (like Mario in Odyssey or Link in the Wild series) obviously have a ton of potential, but I'd also suggest characters with prominent redesigns like... well, the rest of the Zelda cast!
I think the question is less who would benefit most and more who would struggle the most to fill those 4 sets. I think most of the characters currently in Smash could fill out 4 unique costumes quite easily, it's when you get to single/limited appearance characters :ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultwiifittrainer: or special cases like :ultgnw::ultrob: that you run into cases where they won't really have any options unless you start creating Smash original costumes.
That said, this is a fair point. I don't think Smash-original costumes would necessarily be a bad thing, though - R.O.B., for instance, springs to mind as a character with a lot of cool fan-made costumes in projects like Project M - and you could probably do really cool stuff with characters like Wii Fit Trainer.

G&W specifically is gonna struggle though. Rip.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Fair. In that case, a neat compromise would be for characters to have a minimum of one costume and an upper limit of four costumes. Basically, some characters would have four costumes, some characters would have two or three costumes at most, and some characters would only have one costume (that being their default one).

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Fair. In that case, a neat compromise would be for characters to have a minimum of one costume and an upper limit of four costumes. Basically, some characters would have four costumes, some characters would have two or three costumes at most, and some characters would only have one costume (that being their default one).
I mean, ideally (for me at least,) there wouldn't necessarily be an upper limit. Obviously, they couldn't add every costume a character has ever had for cases like Link or Mario, but I would say 4 would be a good limit for base game with that limit being raised through DLC costumes. This would probably have to result in an uneven distribution, but it is what it is given certain characters simply lack sources to pull from.

I reckon it depends how you handle them. Characters from games with actual costume systems (like Mario in Odyssey or Link in the Wild series) obviously have a ton of potential, but I'd also suggest characters with prominent redesigns like... well, the rest of the Zelda cast!

That said, this is a fair point. I don't think Smash-original costumes would necessarily be a bad thing, though - R.O.B., for instance, springs to mind as a character with a lot of cool fan-made costumes in projects like Project M - and you could probably do really cool stuff with characters like Wii Fit Trainer.

G&W specifically is gonna struggle though. Rip.
I'd personally love to see some Smash original costume designs, though I understand that these are less likely and more dependent on approval from the original devs on a per character basis.

I do love PM's VB and Wii costumes for :ultrob: though I can't say I could see Nintendo proper doing something like that. He's a toy robot though, so I'm sure there are plenty of directions they could go with for costume options. Similar deal for :ultduckhunt:, I think you could easily squeeze out a couple of costumes that reference other NES titles. Costumes based on the characters from Wild Gunman and Hogan's Alley would be a good start. Just give the dog a cowboy hat and scarf combo for WG and a police cap for HA.

:ultwiifittrainer: is a pretty easy case too imo. It's not a huge change, but there is the Wii Fit Plus version of her costume that replaces the tank top with a sports bra. Otherwise, you could lean into the overall fitness angle and give her other sportswear/athletic wear as costumes. Stuff like a track and field uniform, tracksuit, swimsuit, maybe even a leotard and leggings like in old aerobics/workout videos.

:ulticeclimbers: gets a little tricky, but I think you could just give them different kinds of jackets and winter wear. In this case I could see the Smash team actually doing something similar to the PM bear costume for example.

:ultgnw: is really the only one where I've genuinely no idea what they could do or if it'd even be worth actually doing anything. In the past they maybe could have actually done the Ms. Game & Watch idea that occasionally gets thrown around. Post Ultimate though, I don't think it'd be feasible given how much the character changes for so many of their animations. Game & Watch would probably have to settle as the one character with no alternate costumes. But honestly, I think that's okay, he looks so distinct already and costumes don't really mix well with his animation style.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
They should add Masked Dedede as a costume for King Dedede.

That, and I think they should also add in Masked Dedede's theme.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
They should add Masked Dedede as a costume for King Dedede.

That, and I think they should also add in Masked Dedede's theme.
Either that or make Masked Dedede a Shin Akuma style boss you can face under the right conditions in classic mode or elsewhere depending on what modes we get next time.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think it depends on how feasible it is to make someone a costume, or even an Echo Fighter. Preferrably, they'd get to be an Echo with some occasional unique movements or even a unique move, but for a lot of Echoes the differences are so minute they're just glorified costumes.

I'd be fine with some characters being an Echo/costume, but if they have some unique stuff they could do as a standalone fighter I think I'd prefer that. That said I'd be open to fighters getting more unique costumes in general; Feels like a bit of wasted opportunity to not capitalize on that

Top Bottom