• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
What holiday craziness? They're not releasing 'till March.

If it's what's rumoured I do agree they need to reveal soon because Apple will be unveiling their newest iPhone/Pad, whatever that it's trying to directly compete with, but if it's something new there's really no rush and they'd probably be best waiting 'till December or January (this of course means that the rumours are wrong and that they're keeping what it is a secret to surprise us). That way they can go for maximum momentum.

Announcing NX now will just mean people will forget about it by March, the Classic-mini and Mario Maker 3DS aren't going to be enough to stand out in the storm of holiday releases. That said what the NX needs is to keep constant momentum for a full year, create customer trust, make sure everyone remembers that NX is the console with games, and capitalise on NEXT holiday season.

The options for releasing now are that it's reactionary to everything being leaked (which sounds ridiculous given there's no coroborable evidence) or they have to have some ludicrous plan to keep momentum through this holiday season, like monthly NX Directs or something equally infeasable (although the AC mini-direct could be the first of said infeasability). Anything else is just letting it out to die, and Nintendo simply can't afford to do that if they want to stay in the console industry; they don't have the consumer confidence to loose.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sigh we need information now would be opportune time to talk about it. But I digress if they plan in waiting a couple months to unveil it so be it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What holiday craziness? They're not releasing 'till March.

If it's what's rumoured I do agree they need to reveal soon because Apple will be unveiling their newest iPhone/Pad, whatever that it's trying to directly compete with, but if it's something new there's really no rush and they'd probably be best waiting 'till December or January (this of course means that the rumours are wrong and that they're keeping what it is a secret to surprise us). That way they can go for maximum momentum.

Announcing NX now will just mean people will forget about it by March, the Classic-mini and Mario Maker 3DS aren't going to be enough to stand out in the storm of holiday releases. That said what the NX needs is to keep constant momentum for a full year, create customer trust, make sure everyone remembers that NX is the console with games, and capitalise on NEXT holiday season.

The options for releasing now are that it's reactionary to everything being leaked (which sounds ridiculous given there's no coroborable evidence) or they have to have some ludicrous plan to keep momentum through this holiday season, like monthly NX Directs or something equally infeasable (although the AC mini-direct could be the first of said infeasability). Anything else is just letting it out to die, and Nintendo simply can't afford to do that if they want to stay in the console industry; they don't have the consumer confidence to loose.
Revealing in December/January would be an absolutely horrible idea for not giving the proper time to build excitement. Especially when we have a statement from the NoC boss stating that the Fall will be all about the NX.

You're also making it sound like the NX will be an afterthought if revealed in September which is incredibly absurd given pretty much every console has over 6 months of hype between it's reveal and release. PS4 had 8-9 months of hype and it turned out just fine. It's not a problem.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I just want to know what the damn thing is already. Year five for the Wii U and all its done is collect dust for me.
Year four you mean lol.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Revealing in December/January would be an absolutely horrible idea for not giving the proper time to build excitement. Especially when we have a statement from the NoC boss stating that the Fall will be all about the NX.

You're also making it sound like the NX will be an afterthought if revealed in September which is incredibly absurd given pretty much every console has over 6 months of hype between it's reveal and release. PS4 had 8-9 months of hype and it turned out just fine. It's not a problem.
The difference was that PS4 wasn't entering into an established marketplace in the west, Wii U wasn't doing well and 360 was drying up. Where it did enter an established market was Japan, where the PS3 was still going strong, and still was for a good year after the PS4's release, and even then that was when the momentum started building and the bigger international games were starting to trickle in.

NX does not have that position. The PS4 is still doing very well, and they're about to iterate it and reduce it's price with the slim model for even more potential growth, and in the tablet market the NX appears to be attempting to break into (again, going by current rumours) it's going up against Apple and Samsung who have been established brands for years... and remember any plans for this announcement would've been made before Samsung batteries started exploding so they wouldn't even be considering that.

The fact is March is not going to be strong for the NX, it's just not holiday rush, prime launch period, so the decision to release then has to be to utilised to facilitate a strong 2017 holiday sales period. The NX's hype period is going to be 8-9 months, it's just that 6 months of that are going to have the console already on shelves allowing production to match demand, avoiding Wii like shortages, and with release of great game after great game buzzing up the whole industry for a year. You will not be able to get away from NX stories as people are finding secrets in Breath of the Wild, creating incredible things in Animal Crossing, Crashing servers to get the next Smash DLC or what have you for 8-9 months, that's what they need to do to be a success in this PS4 centered market. Announcing now will only result in months of PS4 beating them to every headline, which simply isn't going to sell the NX.

But yes, the NoC boss may be right, it certainly wouldn't be the first time Nintendo have messed up the unveiling of a new console.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The difference was that PS4 wasn't entering into an established marketplace in the west, Wii U wasn't doing well and 360 was drying up. Where it did enter an established market was Japan, where the PS3 was still going strong, and still was for a good year after the PS4's release, and even then that was when the momentum started building and the bigger international games were starting to trickle in.

NX does not have that position. The PS4 is still doing very well, and they're about to iterate it and reduce it's price with the slim model for even more potential growth, and in the tablet market the NX appears to be attempting to break into (again, going by current rumours) it's going up against Apple and Samsung who have been established brands for years... and remember any plans for this announcement would've been made before Samsung batteries started exploding so they wouldn't even be considering that.

The fact is March is not going to be strong for the NX, it's just not holiday rush, prime launch period, so the decision to release then has to be to utilised to facilitate a strong 2017 holiday sales period. The NX's hype period is going to be 8-9 months, it's just that 6 months of that are going to have the console already on shelves allowing production to match demand, avoiding Wii like shortages, and with release of great game after great game buzzing up the whole industry for a year. You will not be able to get away from NX stories as people are finding secrets in Breath of the Wild, creating incredible things in Animal Crossing, Crashing servers to get the next Smash DLC or what have you for 8-9 months, that's what they need to do to be a success in this PS4 centered market. Announcing now will only result in months of PS4 beating them to every headline, which simply isn't going to sell the NX.

But yes, the NoC boss may be right, it certainly wouldn't be the first time Nintendo have messed up the unveiling of a new console.
Buddy it's not just the PS4 but pretty much every console released sans the Sega Genesis. We're not talking about the Wii U that had a year and a half of build. It's only 6 months and Nintendo needs these months to communicate with customers about what the NX is. The fact that your advocating a console with only 3 months of hype is the most ridiculous concept i've ever heard.

If anything you want customers to know about the NX heading in to the holiday season so they can save up or just prepare to purchase the console come March of next year where as a super-late December/January reveal would only entice them to hold off on the purchase until the Summer or even the following holiday season given they would already spent most of their money on other games.

I see no reason to doubt what the NoC boss said. How that's messing up the reveal I have absolutely no idea but it sure as hell beats revealing the console in December or January.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
And every console released sans Genesis has gone for the holiday season or failed. What I'm saying is Holiday 2017 is where the NX is going to live or die, and if they reveal now that's over a year they've got to keep the hype train going; that's not going to happen and we'll end up with another Wii U. Getting a good launch isn't the goal, having a sustainable console is.

But still, our argument won't change the facts. We'll see how it goes and I will pray that it goes well for them.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
And every console released sans Genesis has gone for the holiday season or failed. What I'm saying is Holiday 2017 is where the NX is going to live or die, and if they reveal now that's over a year they've got to keep the hype train going; that's not going to happen and we'll end up with another Wii U. Getting a good launch isn't the goal, having a sustainable console is.

But still, our argument won't change the facts. We'll see how it goes and I will pray that it goes well for them.
Why would Holiday 2017 be the make it or break it point for the NX? The console is releasing in March meaning if they build up hype starting from now they can entice consumers to buy their console come March. On top of that Kimishima stated that they're releasing NX games for every season in 2017 starting in the Spring, continuing through the Summer, and then through the Holiday season meaning that there's going to be hype spread throughout the year even past launch.

I hope the NX does well to. I just hope they're not going to save the reveal for so long when they have time to communicate to customers what the NX is as well as people being restless to know what the NX is.

Last edited:

Zerinus

Smash Rookie

Why would Holiday 2017 be the make it or break it point for the NX? The console is releasing in March meaning if they build up hype starting from now they can entice consumers to buy their console come March. On top of that Kimishima stated that they're releasing NX games for every season in 2017 starting in the Spring, continuing through the Summer, and then through the Holiday season meaning that there's going to be hype spread throughout the year even past launch.

I hope the NX does well to. I just hope they're not going to save the reveal for so long when they have time to communicate to customers what the NX is as well as people being restless to know what the NX is.
It's absurd to think that the NX is going to launch on Holiday 2017. In fact, all they really need is good feedback after the announcement (Hopefully soon) and we can already confirm that there's going to be a good ammount of people who are die hard fans and are going for Breath of The Wild in the Spring of 2017. It'd be amazing to have that as a bundle when NX launches, which I honestly think it will.

It's more than just good communication between the consumer and the developer though. In order for the NX to have any longevity, their going to have to have a very good marketing scheme straight off the bat, which even seems difficult now. Another thing that will help the longevity of the NX is good 3rd party support and a much better library in general. There has been rumors for an extensive use of social media apps such as twitter and such but you know, seeing is believing.

So in a sense, they really need to know what games to put out there early in the launch and space the goodies out accordingly.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo NX may get pushed back but till Holiday 2017 is highly unlikely. Summer 2017 by the latest but Holiday 2017 highly unlikely.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
When did I say NX will launch in Holiday 2017? I said it'll be the make or break point, ie. it will either sell well enough to be valid or it will lie in the shadows of the rest of the industry. Launching that late would be a terrible idea, it won't have enough games for it's first holiday and it'll miss out on word of mouth marketting. Launching in spring is a way to garner both of those ready for holiday 2017. Launching a late comer in holiday is just marching it out to die.

What they need is momentum. Between system reveal and launch they need constant attention, new footage and screenshots of the biggest games at least twice a month, a Direct just before release to showcase even more games they didn't announce at the first reveal event, and a handful of general TV news stories on their new inventive way to play. At launch they need a good set of system sellers like Mario Kart 9 and Monster Hunter 5, enhanced Wii U Ports for big titles (Mario Maker, Splatoon) and more niche titles like Pikmin 4 or Beyond Good and Evil 2; Breath of the Wild just won't cut it on it's own. They also need a solid schedule for the coming months . After launch they need top scoring exclusive games at least once a month so that general holiday console buying consumer will not spend a month without hearing great things about NX, with long burners like Animal Crossing early to get a wider crowd to talk about it for a long time rather than just the core audience. What they need at E3 is a new Mario or otherwise world shaking game (Probably a new IP, can't see what else would get the traction needed) launching for the Holidays, fan service games like Metroid, some kind of new idea to further showcase the possibilities of the console and a good set of third party games to sure up consumer confidence. And if it's multiple devices they need to have the second, hopefully cheaper, one ready for holiday too.

And then comes Holiday when that set up will either pay off or not. Their big Mario game and the sheer momentum of the NX's library blowing people away for a whole year and burrowing into general consumer's consciousness has to be enough to get enough millions of sales to put it on solid tracking with the PS4 and Xbone so third parties STAY invested after the first year. If they fail to get enough sales in holiday Nintendo have to support this thing alone again, and they already needed to throw everything into getting through the first year, they'll have early next year stuff from E3, but if they don't have third parties keeping their NX ports up the end of year two will look dire or they'll have to delay a tonne of summer games to fill it out. Anything less and they simply won't be able to compete with competition that holds a 50 million unit lead on them.

Launch in winter and they have to get that much momentum in an ad campaign... unless they've hit Wii/DS/Gameboy levels of perfect product for the time that's impossible. And they'd also have issues of selling out. By having a year on the market they can have the stock to meet the hopefully insane demand.

finalark

SNORLAX
I really wonder how people will look back on the Wii U a decade from now. A tragically misunderstood console with a boatload of hidden gems? An awkward misstep between the Wii and the NX? A forgotten piece of history that will go the route of the Sega Saturn, discussed and remembered only by the most hardcore of fans?

This doesn't really have anything to do with the NX, but with the new console looming on the horizon I can't help but think about it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A tragically misunderstood console with a boatload of hidden gems?
I'm fairly certain this will be the eventual fate.

The quality of many of the games ensure it won't be just a misstep or forgotten.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm fairly certain this will be the eventual fate.

The quality of many of the games ensure it won't be just a misstep or forgotten.
It's certainly a must-own console if 2D Platformers are your jam. Wholly World, Tropical Freeze, Mario Maker. The list goes on.

Unfortunately for me, there really haven't been any Wii U releases that appeal to me in a long while. Everything I was looking forward to either ended up not being what I expected or went in a direction that I wasn't down with. Here's to hoping the NX manages to grab me for its entire life cycle.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Almost certain it'll be looked back on as a failure that had good games, akin to the Dreamcast.

Zerinus

Smash Rookie
The Wii U didn't have as many good games as the dream cast, and really I don't really think there are that many "gems". It is a failure, though.

The NX definitely needs a good kickoff - what the Wii U didn't have. The Wii U's initial library was balls when it came out.

I don't like to be a pessimist either, but... if the technology on the NX is weird, like the Wii U, and it's likely that it will have something funny, the potential of the games will take longer to master and the first games are going to be ones that will test the waters of what the NX is. (Akin to Nintendo Land and Wii Sports, and undoubtfully, that will be what's in the bundle.)

Though, I can't wait to find out my assumption is wrong. (You know what happens when you assume right?)

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I think the Wii U had good games, I just don't think it had many novel ones. Most were just successors that played it safe or were a bit too derivative to really break the mould. Though most of them were fun games in their own right, as is to be expected from Nintendo.

When people say the Wii U library ranks among their favourites for Nintendo consoles I really do get baffled, as, while there are many games I enjoy, it's probably my least favourite overall of the six. Opinions. Personally I'd be surprised if this library will be looked back as fondly as past ones, especially when new iterations of tentpole franchises come to further expand series such as Smash or Kart and potentially provide the new "definitive" version of that series.

Having said that, and as someone who often speaks critically of Nintendo, I do think the NX will rectify at least the issue of scarce releases given the union of the two prior methods of Nintendo's software output. And since the last year has been especially barren so projects could be moved to the NX, not to mention that fact that the NX was almost certainly delayed to provide it with more software available at or around launch, I do have faith Nintendo will have an array of offerings in the launch/launch window. We know Breath of the Wild will be one of them, which already elevates it above both the launch of the 3DS and Wii U imo.

Plus given that the hardware does not seem like it will be significantly more powerful than the Wii U, and with the fact that (hopefully) Nintendo understands the extra effort required to make HD games, I don't think we'll be faced with exponentially longer dev times. But even if we are, the amalgamation of hardware divisions should alleviate dry spells much more effectively.

Of course none of that effects the issue of "novel" games (which, to be fair, is not nearly the biggest problems Nintendo is facing right now), but with titles like Splatoon and BotW ideally reinforcing the shift to younger devs with fresh ideas, it might not be something we have to contend with as much as in the past.

Other than that the only worries I have are regarding the battery life and whether Nintendo will attempt to improve its catering to the more dedicated demographic of Nintendo fan.

finalark

SNORLAX
Having said that, and as someone who often speaks critically of Nintendo, I do think the NX will rectify at least the issue of scarce releases given the union of the two prior methods of Nintendo's software output.
I agree with much of what you have to say, but I just wanted to point out that sparse releases and wavering third party support is an issue that Nintendo has been dealing with since the N64 era. I am no optimistic that the NX will somehow change that.

The Wii U didn't have as many good games as the dream cast, and really I don't really think there are that many "gems". It is a failure, though.
As a hardcore Sega fan who still has his DC hooked up as a regular console, let me say that many of the DC's best games only found vindication in hindsight. Most of them were pushed to the side for being too strange or experimental. Wait a bit and see what people uncover or how hindsight shows the brilliance in something once thought obfuscating.

My personal biggest issue with the Wii U's library is that it's completely dominated by 2D platformers. I get why, though. They're easy to make and have that nostalgia factor to back up sales. That being said, they don't appeal to me enough to the point where I want to play them all the time. Not only that, but their handling of their non-platformer IPs was often a hit or miss case, more miss than hit.

Hyrule Warriors was a neat idea. Zelda as a beat 'em up was pretty cool and fun. But for me, Dynasty Warriors are the games modeled after it are one-and-done kind of deals. I can never bring myself to replay them, since their game play gets really stale for me very quickly. But if you're one of those people who got a ton of millage out of it more power to ya.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions hits a personal sore spot for me. It initially presented itself as a cross over between Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem. The first of which brought gritty occult themes while the latter brought its flavor of swords-and-sorcery high fantasy. Instead of combining the two in an interesting way it threw that out the window to peruse the path of being the most generic 2010s animu garbage.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I always laugh at the Wii U's perception of being all 2D platformers. Yeah, there's a solid number and some real stand out great ones, but the over abundance of third person action games on other consoles is just as bad. Heck I skip the standard Ubisoft-esque open world varieties and my PS4 collection is still made up of 7 of the damn things (perhaps 6.3, Ratchet and Clank is kinda somewhere between it, third person shooter and a 3D platformer), 2 jRPGs and a falling block puzzle; that's it!

Perhaps it's a matter of me ignoring first person games without a mouse and keyboard, but there still seems to be way more saturated than the Wii U is with 2D platformers...

Sure, I like third person action games enough, but I need my 2D platformers and jRPGs and so on to cleanse my pallete.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I agree with much of what you have to say, but I just wanted to point out that sparse releases and wavering third party support is an issue that Nintendo has been dealing with since the N64 era. I am no optimistic that the NX will somehow change that.
Well I can't and didn't speak about third-party support because that will probably remain the same as always, decent at the beginning, and worse as the console's life goes on. But the consolidation of portable and console divisions into a single entity for which to develop software should theoretically give it a library more on par with that of the 3DS and Wii U mixed together, which would certainly rectify the issue of sparsity to a greater extent than with many past systems.

When two of Nintendo's pillars get mixed together, one would think it would create a stronger singular pillar. Which is something Nintendo hasn't really done since the NES days.

Eh... Nintendo's console lineup has never been very strong. I only like the Wii U as much as I do because half of it's games were platformers.
Prior to the DS it was the stronger of the two.

Zerinus

Smash Rookie
I always laugh at the Wii U's perception of being all 2D platformers. Yeah, there's a solid number and some real stand out great ones, but the over abundance of third person action games on other consoles is just as bad. Heck I skip the standard Ubisoft-esque open world varieties and my PS4 collection is still made up of 7 of the damn things (perhaps 6.3, Ratchet and Clank is kinda somewhere between it, third person shooter and a 3D platformer), 2 jRPGs and a falling block puzzle; that's it!

Perhaps it's a matter of me ignoring first person games without a mouse and keyboard, but there still seems to be way more saturated than the Wii U is with 2D platformers...

Sure, I like third person action games enough, but I need my 2D platformers and jRPGs and so on to cleanse my pallete.

Yeah, I have to agree, though you can still find good jrpgs on the ps4. But... you're right.

But the best games imo on the Wii U aren't even platformers, but that's just me. The most frequent games I play are smb (duh), MK8, Splatoon, and Xenoblade.

dream1ng

Smash Lord

I agree the other systems are plagued with an overabundance of 3rd person action/open-world games, which is problematic in its own right for people not fond of the genre(s), but that doesn't really excuse Nintendo's overabundance of 2d platformers even if not as endemic. They have many other genres to explore which they've excelled in in the past, but routinely choose to saturate their console with a genre already quite abundant. Moreover, they're making IPs previously not 2d platformers into 2d platformers. And of course the problem with the other consoles still stands, but that doesn't erase Nintendo's problems either. A problem is still a problem even if it's a problem for everybody.

That said, Nintendo could branch out more, they probably should branch out more, but no, the Wii U is by no means only 2d platformers.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Prior to the DS it was the stronger of the two.
Eeeeeeh. N64's lineup was garbage... GB/C kinda wins by default. GC wasn't really anything special. Wii was probably Nintendo's best console but still overshadowed by DS. Wii U imo beats GC by a hair but 3DS is still much stronger.

finalark

SNORLAX
Eeeeeeh. N64's lineup was garbage... GB/C kinda wins by default. GC wasn't really anything special. Wii was probably Nintendo's best console but still overshadowed by DS. Wii U imo beats GC by a hair but 3DS is still much stronger.
Explain this opinion in depth.

Unless 2D platformers really rock your **** on another level I really can't see how you'd take the Wii U over the GCN. Not to mention making the claim the the Wii is the strongest. Maybe if you're young and didn't play much GCN, SNES or anything else really.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Explain this opinion in depth.

Unless 2D platformers really rock your **** on another level I really can't see how you'd take the Wii U over the GCN. Not to mention making the claim the the Wii is the strongest. Maybe if you're young and didn't play much GCN, SNES or anything else really.
As much as I disagree with his opinion.

It's just opinions man.

Him thinking the Wii was the strongest is fine dude. You can't just assume he's ignorant because he thinks something peculiar.

finalark

SNORLAX

It's just opinions man.

Him thinking the Wii was the strongest is fine dude. You can't just assume he's ignorant because he thinks something peculiar.
I'm not trying to be mean or anything. I'm genuinely curious to know why he thinks what he thinks.

I don't like pickles. If I told someone that and they asked how much experience I've had with them I would truthfully tell them very little. They could reveal to me that eating pickles along side a certain meal, or with the right dip, makes them delicious. I could, in turn, use this new knowledge to get a perspective on pickles I had previously neglected. Maybe I'll discover that I actually like them, I just wasn't considering it.

I am probing to uncover why he might hold these opinions and generate conversation as a result. Maybe he hasn't had much experience with certain Nintendo consoles. Maybe me mentioning it will generate discussion that will lead him to try said consoles with a new perspective. Maybe he has played these consoles and doesn't like them for reasons I never considered. Maybe he'll give me a new perspective on the Wii that allows me to appreciate it more.

I probably came off as abrasive, I have a tendency to do that. I meant no harm or insult, I'm just trying to talk about video games on the internet.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well I grew up with the N64 and had the older systems to play so it's not about age... As a kid I thought the N64's lineup was pathetic. Only games I still really enjoy today are SF64 and Pilotwings.

Sunshine was trash, honestly. Melee's cool but the additions were pretty bad (either because they were clones or completely disfunctional) past Peach. Double Dash was the first good MK. Mario Party quickly wore out it's welcome. Metroid I didn't really get into until later but the controls are garbage and ruins the game for me. Assault and Adventures were disappointing. WW was cool but quite flawed, TP less cool and more flawed. Mario Sports titles were meh overall, tennis was garbage because of Power Shots but Strikers was really good. TTYD was godlike. Besides that I can't think of anything significant...

The Wii I felt was a return to form for Nintendo because it went back to good old fashioned linear platformers. SPM was weird but good, Galaxy games were awesome, DKCR was everything the originals wanted to be, NSMBW is legitimately a great game, Wario Land Shake It also blew away the originals, Kirby's Yarn was good and RtDL was as good as SS, LoZSS remains as the only Zelda with good combat, MKWII and Brawl were basically overall improvements to the GC games... I'd be able to remember more then the platformers if I could see my wall of games, lol.

Wii U feels like a mini Wii of sorts. You got a bunch of sequels to platformers and some new ones... Cat Mario is now my favorite Mario game, Mario Maker is really cool. Pikmin 3 and Starfox are great, WWHD is a significant improvement, MK8 makes every other MK look like child's play, Hyrule Warriors is fun, Pokken is great, Smash 4 notibly is actually decent as a competitive game, and a ton of indie games that helps to fill the gaps.

Video games in general have just gotten better over the years. The NES and SNES had a ton of platformers too but honestly there aren't many that stand up nowadays.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
N64's lineup garbage?

That's funny.

finalark

SNORLAX
Besides that I can't think of anything significant...
Resident Evil 4, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, F-Zero GX, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes, Tales of Symphonia, tons of good stuff.

I'll concede some points, though. The fact that the best parts of Sunshine are when they take away Fluud speaks volumes about how underwhelming it is. Star Fox Adventures is underwhelming and forgettable (although I think finding people who disagree would be a challenge).

On the note of Prime I and II, I can see how some people dislike the game's controls. I personally think that once you adjust to the clunk they're pretty damn solid and feel fantastic. But hey, whatever floats your goat. Or doesn't.

I still like Wind Waker, TP I like less. To be honest, as I've gotten older the Zelda games have become less and less like cornerstones and more and more like one-and-done games that I can never bring myself to get through more than once. It's not that they're terrible or anything. It's just that for me personally, as I've gotten older and have played more games the LoZ series always feels lacking no matter what entry I play.

That being said, I never really thought the sailing was boring. At all. Ever.

MKWII and Brawl were basically overall improvements to the GC games...
This is your opinion. I don't agree with it, I think that MKDD and Melee are miles above MKWII and Brawl due to the more complex and satisfying nature of mastery you get with both games over their Wii sequels. But it's your opinion.

You seem like a man who holds a love of 2D platformers above all else. In that case, I can totally see why the N64 and the GCN don't do much for you. The genre was pretty dead during those time periods.

For me, as a man who likes 2D platformers but loves many other genres over it, the Wii U has been disappointing and underwhelming.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
While I personally hold the SNES in the highest regard of Nintendo home consoles, I have to agree Wii was my favourite of the consoles since then. And I shall explain with /5 numbers (5 is best, but 1 is still very good) and words.

N64 wasn't trash, per se, but as a PC gamer first Golden Eye and Perfect Dark really didn't do much for me and I never got on with Mario 64 (it probably didn't help that I played later collect-a-thons before it). Then there's OoT, the game that always gets lauded and I've never really got the hype; now I think z-targetting was great and it did some incredibly inventive things with the 3D space... but it did so in a way that felt more linear and contrived than the game just before it (and my first game of the series) Link's Awakening; luckily Majora's Mask really asks you to explore the 3D environments, and have huge 3D dungeon-wide puzzles to complete, but OoT... eh, it's good but not that special to me. As such I have a much smaller collection of games I really think about fondly with that system:

Banjo Kazooie - 5/5
Banjo Tooie - 4/5
Mario Party 2 - 3/5 (the others where good, but I really only needed the one)
Mario Kart 64 - 3/5 (I liked it, but I preferred CTR back then)
Sin and Punishment - 4/5 (obviously only played it later, but I love it)
Majora's Mask - 4/5 (my favourite 3D zelda, really took great dungeon design to 3D)
Paper Mario - 2/5 (It's good, and very charming, but I guess I need more complexity from my jRPGs)

TOTAL = 25

I know people will bring up Snap and Star Fox 64, I think they're both okay, but snap never excited me beyond the very very initial wonder, and I really don't like star fox's controls. As for certain third party games I liked, many were either better or more readily available and cheaper on Playstation, Megaman Legends may have taken longer to load, but it's worth it for the voice decompression alone.

Gamecube was a weird one, I didn't actually own this, but I played a bunch at a friend's, I did go back and fill out my collection a lot when I got a Wii though. Pikmin often comes up but it's not here yet, I hated the controls. Animal Crossing is also a twist of fate, there were simply later games out by the time I got around to it, so it doesn't hold up, I'm sure it was great at the time. As for Tales... I haven't played it, but I haven't played any other Tales game I tried, so not itching to do so. There's alot more of the classics I do like though, so this'll be a bigger list.

Mario Sunshine - 4/5 (I don't get the complaints, I thought sunshine was wonderful, hover nozzle gave you just enough of a safety neand the world had the charm 64 lacked)
Luigi's Mansion - 2/5 (it's good, but I don't love it as much as most. The bosses are great, but I feel the rest doesn't know what it wants to be and feels like padding as a result)
Wind Waker - 2/5 (remember that wide open field I hated in OoT, it's now a sea, and bigger. But with more charm and stuff to do it was something I properly enjoyed playing at the time)
Four Swords Adventure - 3/5 (this game isn't actually that "good", but when you have the set-up and 4 friends with GBAs it's incredibly fun)
Metroid Prime - 4/5 (The controls were a put off, but they worked okay after a while and the world was amazing, 3 really improved it fot me though.)
Prime 2 - 2/5 (it was different from 1 atleast, shame the dark world thing was really annoying)
Double Dash - 4/5 (many a good hour played, great game!)
Melee - 5/5 (I'm on smash boards... ofcourse this is high)
Baiten Kaitos - 4/5 (I love jRPGs, this is a good and very unique one with so much attention to detail. It could be a bit fiddly, but it's a lot of fun)
Baiten Kaitos Origins - 3/5 (see the first game except due to being European I needed to go round-a-bout to play it. That's not the only thing dropping the score, but the extra hassle after loving 1 is note worthy)
TTYD - 4/5 (items becoming more important helped elevate the game above the first, and it's incredible charm elevates it again. It's not really that good underneath it all, but it does such a good job of hiding it under the sheer charm offensive I have nothing but good memories of it)
F-Zero GX - 1/5 (it's good, but it's not really my genre)
RE: 4 - 1/5 (resident action is fun, but I feel it gets repetitive after a while, perhaps I was just spoiled by Fatal Frame by that point)
RE:Make - 3/5 (I prefer my REs as puzzly survival horrors, and this provided with improvements and just enough changes to still make you tense)

TOTAL = 36

Again third parties available elsewhere cheaper hurt it and strip games like Beyond Good and Evil from it. Sould Calibur atleast had something to add... but I don't like Soul Calibur that much so not a huge score. The awful Dreamcast ports were the most egregious, Skies of Arcadia and Sonic Adventures are games I like, but buggy-er versions with compressed music doesn't do it for me.

As for Wii, I love 2D platformers so it's a given it has stuff for me, but it also got decent third party support and a bunch of party games which added a lot to the system. While many of the games have been ported or remade batter elsewhere that didn't stop Wind Waker, so there's a bunch of cool stuff. Oddly I don't like Galaxy, I find them kinda dull with those controls and linear levels, unlike the excitement of 3D world the game had the explorative controls of Sunshine, barr FLUDD, and nothing to really explore... There is however an added bonus that the Wii has a ton of games for like 10p now some of which turn out quite fun (that launch rampage reboot game and Deadly Creatures are some of the standout super cheapies, though neither make my list)

Various Party Games - 5/5 (any individual one doesn't cut it like Mario Party 2, but the joint selection of Just Dances, Olympic Games, Wii Sports, Wii Party and even the occasional game of Wii Plays made for some great casual play sessions, there was enough rotation to always find something in groups)
Wii Fit - 2/5 (it's not the most fun thing in the world, but as someone who used it it was a part of the system's value... though not one I couldn't give up for an exercise book if I cared to)
Fortune Street - 3/5 (one of the weakest Itadaki Street games, but it was by far the easiest to get people to play thanks to Dragon Quest, Mario and being in English. These games a great, so even a below average one is really fun.)
Mario Strikers Charged - 5/5 (now I'm sure Strikers on GCN was great for it's time too, but I played Charged first so sadly it didn't live up, Strikers is incredible though, so had I had a GCN over PS2 I'm sure it'd've featured)
Wario Ware Smooth Moves - 4/5 (again, Warioware 1 was probably great at the time, but people are far more open to playing motion controls, and it's a lot more entertaining to watch)
Metroid Prime 3 - 4/5 (the controls and pace where perfected, the game design not as good as 1, still preferred the game overall though.)
Muramasa - 5/5 (Vanillaware are pretty incredible, and while the Vita version added a bunch of extras this is the one I played through first, and loved)
A Boy and His Blob - 1/5 (A little trial and error, but giving it a hug button made it all go away. Some great puzzles and oodles of charm)
DKCR - 4/5 (DKC was BACK, and in style... though lacking some of the charm of the Kremlins. It's gameplay and dynamic levels actually do more for me than DKC2 so if only it didn't have annoying waggle controls it'd've probably overcome it, but lack of classic controller support swept it off a five... Tropical Freeze though!)
Skyward Sword - 4/5 (I know my usual gripes about 3D zelda are mostly present, but Skywayrd Sword's more Zelda 2 in 3D like combat and super dense envrionments really make it stand out and be fun. It's definitely more flawed, but fun has it's factors)
The Last Story - 3/5 (jRPGs man, and where I'm not the biggest fan of Xenoblade for it's over reliance of levels this game gives a lot more to think about, is super flashy, and very fun to play. Story's pretty good too.)
Punch Out! - 5/5 (Punch Out was great, Punch out with motion controls was way more fun... but obviously harder. Getting into title defense with motes and a balance board was one of my biggest gaming challenges, and I loved it... and also ached all over)
No More Heroes - 3/5 (a dumb as crap game with so much interesting experimental nonsense with the system)
No More Heroes 2 - 1/5 (still very dumb and fun, kinda felt more tried though and there were certain annoyances)
Fragile Dreams - 1/5 (It's artsy, and more interesting than it is neccesarily good, but it's a hidden gem well worth your time)
Sin and Punishment 2 - 5/5 (so I said I liked Sin and Punishment, and while I do think 1 has many elements that are better, spectacle and motion controls are certainly not it, and they are some of the most important parts of a rail shooter.)
Klonoa remake - 3/5 (Klonoa was a chilhood favourite and this remake takes it and makes it look breathtakingly beautiful. A wonderful platformer with a breath of new life... simple, but wonderful)
Zack and Wiki - 2/5 (the most japanese point and click I've ever played. It's more level based structure is somewhat distracting as a fan of the genre, but it allows for some very interesting puzzle design using limited items in new inventive ways.)
Wari Land Shake It - 4/5 (I love 2D platformers, and this unassuming game no-one seems to have played is my favourite of the system, the detailed animation certainly helps with the charm and I have always like Wario games)
Return to Dreamland - 2/5 (an obvious prelude to Triple Deluxe and greatness, it was great to see Kirby back to platforming, but it felt a bit stale... better than 64 though!)
NSMBW - 4/5 (a great game single player that just shies from superb.. sadly the multiplayer is tacked on and the levels really aren't designed for it, given the promotion of 4 player it really drags it down)
Nights into Dreams - 2/5 (it's definitely not as good as the first game, but it filled a void and is better than people give it credit for)
Rodea the Sky Soldier - 4/5 (the Wii version is a tonne of fun, sadly it's a first edition version of the inferior Wii U version, but man I love this game, it's like nights, but in 3D and I actually like it more)
Fatal Frame 4 - 3/5 (obviously imported and played with fan-translation. This is probably the best Fatal Frame game hidden behind the worst control scheme, it manages to push through, but if this had classic controller support it'd probably beat out Fatal Frame 1 in my books.
Smash Brawl - 6/5 (while that may sound silly and impossible Brawl in itself was a precursor to the modding scene. Project M is my favorite Smash ever, and you need Brawl for it, let alone the ridiculousness of Brawl- and such. 5 isn't enough for it)
Mario Kart Wii - 4/5 (definitely mechanically weaker than DD, but the Wii Wheel made up for it.)
Sonic Colors - 1/5 (the wisps get right in the way for me, I feel a ruch of fun and then the TV shouts at me and I have to do a power-up, it's not quite as disruptive as Were-hog, but it took generations to get modern sonic to being fantastic.)
New Play Control Pikmin - 2/5 (Remember how I said yet about Pikmin, the wiimote fixed my biggest issue... but while it was fixed it wasn't the greatest build quality, 3 made great improvements but I still feel there's a way to go)
New Play Control Pikmin 2 - 2/5 (as above, so below)

TOTAL = 93

I have skipped multiplat games that I wanted the HD version of (Sonic Generations, Rayman Origins so on), but it's still an incredible system. I probably have missed a lot of hidden gems on the N64 and GCN (I know I missed Chibi-Robo), but I really doubt it's enough to reach such incredibly high numbers as the Wii outputted, for me personally atleast. I'm not gonna work out Wii U 'till it's over, but expect something in the GCN ball park, and SNES would take forever, but sufficed to say it'd be over 100. But everyone has their tastes, and yours no doubt differ to mine, I just think the Wii has an incredible library of games that people just don't give the chance.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
There is a difference between saying something is bad and expressing personal displeasure with something.

Because otherwise you're saying two Pokemon gens, the Oracle Zelda games (which apparently had bad combat), and probably a Wario Land or two (apparently far inferior to Shake It) are better than the entirety of the 64 (since pretty much all the other notable GB games were released during the NES or SNES's tenure). If that's an opinion you want to hold that's fine, but to conflate it with fact is where you'll run into a lot of opposition, as great as the Pokemon games were.

It's just opinions man.

If people aren't allowed to challenge and question opinions (that aren't even really presented as opinions) we have larger problems at play.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't even see how Wii's lineup was great TBH. N64's games blow it out of the water.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Different strokes for different folks, I really struggle to see how the N64's line-up was great, but I can at least blame 3D being new and people not knowing any better. Most of the games are good, but it's not got that many really, and that's not enough to make a library great.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Most of the games are good, but it's not got that many really, and that's not enough to make a library great.
Part of why I believe's it's superior to the GB's output during the 5th gen. A few dozen good/great games against a half dozen?

I'm not saying the 64 is the greatest, without Rare it'd really be an anemic selection, nor am I trying to compare it to other consoles, merely the Game Boy's offering during that same tenure.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Oh, I agree with you, my comment was more to SMX, just saying N64 is imo the weakest of Nintendo's home console library's though it's very much a personal opinion and you're free to disagree.

The gameboy's library is immense, but it also lasted 3 generations and most of the best games came in the SNES era. Heck, most of the GBC's library in general was dumbed down ports and it relied on it's backwards compatibility to cope.

While I do rate Pokémon G/S/C and the Oracles games higher than anything on the N64 personally I can only add Pokémon Pinball and Dragon Quest Monsters 1 + 2 (which as much of a DQ fan as I am weren't Pokémon or SaGa good) to your list for the N64's lifecycle, they'd completely failed the GBC launch and where very much winding down that late into the gameboy's lifespan.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't even see how Wii's lineup was great TBH. N64's games blow it out of the water.
Most of the N64's library hasn't aged well.

Hell, most games from that time period haven't aged well.

RE: 4 - 1/5 (resident action is fun, but I feel it gets repetitive after a while, perhaps I was just spoiled by Fatal Frame by that point)
The game is fun, but it's also so not fun that it gets a 1/5?

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
The game is fun, but it's also so not fun that it gets a 1/5?
The 1/5 isn't an overall score on quality but a score on how much it impressed me. If I were to score games purely on quality the numbers would get massively over inflated, and most of the games would just get 5s or 6s anyways as they were good but nothing I'd write home about. This is already limited to games that I heartily recommend, but RE: 4 would only get a 1/5 recommendation as it were.

If I were to list every 6/10 game on the system the Wii would dominate by an even greater margin, but I equally don't really consider them to be significant contributors to it's library. Ofcourse if you pick one up you'll have some fun for a bit and it might grab you in a way it doesn't grab me (like Mario 64 and Ocarina don't, or even on Wii Xenoblade or Galaxy don't), but I don't think back to them as a staple part of the system for me.

I enjoy Dynasty Warriors, but I wouldn't say to buy a system for it, and likewise there are many relatively mediocre (to me) games that are fun on all theses systems, but marking a system based on it's number of mediocre games isn't really helpful to anyone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom