• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Apologies for the late reply. I wanted to gather research specifically for Neo. To answer, it's speculation.

Basically, PFG posted this tweet (To ensure pics work I'm just posting as a link) showcasing their office. One of the things people noticed in the first pic is a poster with a Matrix looking effect. Hence why people are speculating Neo.

I don't buy it as speculation fuel, more as a cool poster. If it were about poster theory, then the Watchmen (third picture) would also be speculated, yet I see it mostly focusing Neo.
Ah, I see.

Basically Neo has some things pointing to him. The Matrix styled code lines were found in a datamine before the game got shut down, and a few people with insider info have vouched for Neo being planned in the past. But there's no indication yet that he's coming soon, just that he's somewhere in the pipeline.

Faso115

Smash Lord
In the past i just focused on whatever data of the game we already knew but looking back, one would think Marvin would have released WAAAAAAAY before characters like Stripe or Black Adam so state of completeness is not a guaranteed way of knowing who's likely to be next.

Then i kinda decided to stick with the line-up Papagenos theorized, mostly because we all know Joker was a shoe-in years ago. But that makes wonder if his theory of Jack being the character that started development earlier than intended due to fan demand fell on the wayside to push characters that would have a stage. Cause AFAIK, most stages have a character tied to it so it would be weird to have Townsville and Dexter's Lab if a character related to them isn't playable yet.

Oh and no datamines or leaks (that aren't whatever source Aisul or Papagenos have) have correctly guessed Banana Guard or Jason other than internal screw-ups from PFG, so my guess is that whatever data we had before is going to be super different going forward

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
I think certain characters like Bettlejuice, Jack, the Witch and Raven are still happening but 2 years is a lot of time so I think a lot of the leak stuff we know about is outdated. wouldn't shock me of some of the datamiend characters don't happen

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In the past i just focused on whatever data of the game we already knew but looking back, one would think Marvin would have released WAAAAAAAY before characters like Stripe or Black Adam so state of completeness is not a guaranteed way of knowing who's likely to be next.

Then i kinda decided to stick with the line-up Papagenos theorized, mostly because we all know Joker was a shoe-in years ago. But that makes wonder if his theory of Jack being the character that started development earlier than intended due to fan demand fell on the wayside to push characters that would have a stage. Cause AFAIK, most stages have a character tied to it so it would be weird to have Townsville and Dexter's Lab if a character related to them isn't playable yet.

Oh and no datamines or leaks (that aren't whatever source Aisul or Papagenos have) have correctly guessed Banana Guard or Jason other than internal screw-ups from PFG, so my guess is that whatever data we had before is going to be super different going forward
On the Marvin thing, according to PapaGenos's source, they apparently had Marvin ready to release a long while before he came out. He was being purposely held off from releasing until they hit a release slump...which just happened to be right before the game shut down in the open beta. So Marvin being super complete in the datamines but being released after Stripe and Black Adam makes sense with that context taken into account.

I think certain characters like Bettlejuice, Jack, the Witch and Raven are still happening but 2 years is a lot of time so I think a lot of the leak stuff we know about is outdated. wouldn't shock me of some of the datamiend characters don't happen
Yeah this is absolutely possible. I think any character that had like, a LOT of stuff datamined (like the ones you mentioned, with Beetlejuice/Wicked Witch/Raven having full audio and in the case of the Wicked Witch, animation files, alongside Jack having the Aku's Lair stage found) should be fine, but ones who were only text strings or mentioned by other characters could have fallen by the wayside.

Praying for Static though. He only has a couple of targeted voice lines (IIRC from Batman and Garnet). If we get Samurai Jack and voice files for Static aren't found, I'll be worried a bit, since they would have had Phil LaMarr in the studio anyway, so Static not having voice lines would be suspicious.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Jason from Friday the 13th as well who might be a fighter for this.

(Could see the famous murderer as a Tank type to reference his ridiculous durability in the movies)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
In other words, I'll consider characters who are completely divorced from the WB when there's any confirmed playable precedent for it. Until then, it's incredibly unlikely.
It makes me wonder how Chip n' Dale than managed to pull off all those cameos. Getting the rights must have been a nightmare to get through to use all those non-Disney characters. Lol.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
It makes me wonder how Chip n' Dale than managed to pull off all those cameos. Getting the rights must have been a nightmare to get through to use all those non-Disney characters. Lol.
Well aside from Disney having lots of money, it's much easier to deal with other company for a small background cameo than for a fighting game. For example, to have Kratos in Mortal kombat 9, Netherrealm had to change some fatalities because Sony wasn't happy with Kratos looking weak or being vulnerable. Some company could be very strict about how a character is portrayed or interact with others in Multiversus, but just being in a background of a movie is less of a problem.

If you're talking about Who Framed Roger Rabbit. That was mostly Disney characters with only few non-Disney as compared to what we saw in Chip n' Dale.
To be fair, Roger Rabbit took place in the 1940s, and there were a few surprising omissions. Especially from Paramount's circle. Meanwhile, the Rescue Rangers movie took place in both the 80s and the modern day, which had a lot more competition on Disney's side than the 1940s had.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well aside from Disney having lots of money, it's much easier to deal with other company for a small background cameo than for a fighting game. For example, to have Kratos in Mortal kombat 9, Netherrealm had to change some fatalities because Sony wasn't happy with Kratos looking weak or being vulnerable. Some company could be very strict about how a character is portrayed or interact with others in Multiversus, but just being in a background of a movie is less of a problem.
Makes sense. Cameo and having an actual role are two totally different things then.

Explains Batman being used in the season 2 final episode of Invincible.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Yeah the class system is pretty useless right now, I wonder if they'll do more with it eventually. Even the team seems to not really care about it that much, because they said in the recent QA that when developping a character, they'll give the character a moveset and then give the classes based on where they think they'll fit instead of the opposite.

Either way, yeah I'm pretty confident that Jason will end up being a tank. I imagine him being extremely slow, but hard hitting, to put emphasis on how scary he is. He will probably have a command grab too.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Seriously what is with them saying every other person is a Bruiser, it's almost like the class system is meaningless without each of them having something unifying to tie them together that only their class can do
The thing that annoys me about the class system is that it seems like it could be a genuinely fun and useful thing to have around, but like,
  1. I have never heard or seen ANYONE mention the "horizontal/vertical/hybrid" element of it
  2. Around half the characters are just Bruisers anyway
  3. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of a material difference between many of them???
I say this as someone who loves arbitrary classifications like this, but the thing is, there's a lot of potential here that just feels like it's not getting used. Like, one idea I remember hearing about from someone was each class having unique passive abilities similar to hero shooters, of which I compiled a theoretical list;
  • Brawler - Reduced knockback if hit during an attack. Effect is increased if during an attack's keyframes.
  • Tank - Small amount of passive armour, as well as super armour on almost all attacks.
  • Assassin - Increased dodge invincibility, plus dodge leniency with reduced damage and knockback.
  • Ranged - Increased attack power on projectiles as well as increased defence against enemy projectiles.
  • Support - Slowly regains health equivalent to the last attack to hit them after a moment of startup.
But even if you weren't to go with something like that I feel like at the very least it'd be nice for the class system to be more meaningful overall

Greenhorne Ethan

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-4106-6771-3326
Something I've seen said online and agree with is that the dialogue they wrote for Banana Guard doesn't fit the humor of them or Adventure Time in general, which hurts his ability to be a funny pick. How does everyone feel about whether the writing in this game has been in-character or not?

I don't really engage with horror, but Jason is a really cool pick that I hope is true, but I'm still waiting for the Powerpuff Girls.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Something I've seen said online and agree with is that the dialogue they wrote for Banana Guard doesn't fit the humor of them or Adventure Time in general, which hurts his ability to be a funny pick. How does everyone feel about whether the writing in this game has been in-character or not?

I don't really engage with horror, but Jason is a really cool pick that I hope is true, but I'm still waiting for the Powerpuff Girls.
From little we heard, I don't see a problem with Banana guard dialogue, but he doesn't seems to interact with others. I'm sure he will have at least a few interactions in the full game.

The only line I really hate from them is the "I'm not a joke character, right?". I always hated when media make meta joke of how bad something is. Another example is in Yooka-Laylee a character makes a joke about how boring mine cart level are despite the game being full of them (and they're awful).

Edit: Smash also did the same thing with Byleth trailer with the "Too many swordsman?". This type of joke always rub me the wrong way.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
The thing that annoys me about the class system is that it seems like it could be a genuinely fun and useful thing to have around, but like,
  1. I have never heard or seen ANYONE mention the "horizontal/vertical/hybrid" element of it
  2. Around half the characters are just Bruisers anyway
  3. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of a material difference between many of them???
I say this as someone who loves arbitrary classifications like this, but the thing is, there's a lot of potential here that just feels like it's not getting used. Like, one idea I remember hearing about from someone was each class having unique passive abilities similar to hero shooters, of which I compiled a theoretical list;
  • Brawler - Reduced knockback if hit during an attack. Effect is increased if during an attack's keyframes.
  • Tank - Small amount of passive armour, as well as super armour on almost all attacks.
  • Assassin - Increased dodge invincibility, plus dodge leniency with reduced damage and knockback.
  • Ranged - Increased attack power on projectiles as well as increased defence against enemy projectiles.
  • Support - Slowly regains health equivalent to the last attack to hit them after a moment of startup.
But even if you weren't to go with something like that I feel like at the very least it'd be nice for the class system to be more meaningful overall
In my video I proposed each character have a different defensive option which is a similar concept to what you have here. There's just one issue with giving characters super armor and that's they characters really need a grab mechanic to be able to get around it.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
In my video I proposed each character have a different defensive option which is a similar concept to what you have here. There's just one issue with giving characters super armor and that's they characters really need a grab mechanic to be able to get around it.
Characters already have armor breaker moves to get around super armor, though. I just think they need to make the reward for armor breaking more significant to make it worth the risk. I’ve suggested this before, but I think a hit that breaks armor should deal significantly more hitstun than normal, in order to make it easier to get a follow-up.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
From little we heard, I don't see a problem with Banana guard dialogue, but he doesn't seems to interact with others. I'm sure he will have at least a few interactions in the full game.
In this case it's more about Banana Guards generally being aloof and deadpan in the show. The one in Multiversus is super pumped and motivated which is... a bit offputting, if you're familiar with the way they act in Adventure Time, but I guess some creative liberty can be taken to make this character kind of his own entity. That being said, it does spoil the joke a bit when they don't really play into the funniest part about these guys.

The "you guys really like me?" bit does seem pretty true to form but "potassium laced fury" is not quite there. And it's a bit odd they didn't spring for John DiMaggio to reprise the role, since he's played Guards in the show and is still providing new voice lines for Jake... but that's all kinda nitpicky stuff. It just comes together to explain why maybe this doesn't land as well as it could have.

Asset-flip context aside, I think Gunter could have been a more effective joke pick within the same universe.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Well if John is not making a fuss about being recasted then he never loved being a Banana Guard in the first place!

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman

Multiversus' writing is complete ass and all over the place. Only a minority of characters fully feel like themselves, a lot of them get left out and don't fully take advantage of the crossover interactions either (Finn and Arya Stark specifically needed more dialogue), there's also a sort of disconnect with some of the interactions.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Multiversus' writing is complete ass and all over the place. Only a minority of characters fully feel like themselves, a lot of them get left out and don't fully take advantage of the crossover interactions either (Finn and Arya Stark specifically needed more dialogue), there's also a sort of disconnect with some of the interactions.
It's really obvious the writers have watched very little Steven Universe, since Steven himself is completely and totally off, while some of Garnet's interactions feel out of character (why does she hate Batman so much?)

Last edited:
It's really obvious the writers have watched very little Steven Universe, since Steven himself is completely and totally off, while some of Garnet's interactions feel out of character (why does she hate Batman so much?)
I'm willing to cut PFG some slack on this. They were founded in 2019, meaning they probably didn't have time to make the interactions accurate. I do think turning Shaggy into Goku has aged like Swiss cheese, on the other hand.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Ah, I see.

Basically Neo has some things pointing to him. The Matrix styled code lines were found in a datamine before the game got shut down, and a few people with insider info have vouched for Neo being planned in the past. But there's no indication yet that he's coming soon, just that he's somewhere in the pipeline.
"Digital" was also a node category like " horror "

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I'm willing to cut PFG some slack on this. They were founded in 2019, meaning they probably didn't have time to make the interactions accurate. I do think turning Shaggy into Goku has aged like Swiss cheese, on the other hand.
Shaggy is barely Goku at all beyond one move. The rest of it is generic kung fu guy stuff. Surely there was another character they could have used for that.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I get the complaints over Shaggy and I'm not trying to undermine them, but it's ironic in a way.

As much as people criticize how they put too much emphasis on the whole "Ultra Instinct Shaggy" meme, I distinctly remember someone a while back with insider info mentioning that UI Shaggy is why we even have Multiversus in the first place, as that's what inspired them to make a crossover fighter.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I get the complaints over Shaggy and I'm not trying to undermine them, but it's ironic in a way.

As much as people criticize how they put too much emphasis on the whole "Ultra Instinct Shaggy" meme, I distinctly remember someone a while back with insider info mentioning that UI Shaggy is why we even have Multiversus in the first place, as that's what inspired them to make a crossover fighter.
I heard somewhere (might have been this thread) the game was pitched to Netflix and Disney as well, though. Did it start as a WB pitch first and they had back up pitches just in case?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel like they handled Shaggy with enough reservation not to feel wrong or out of character. He’s a good, flexible choice for a fundamentals character / shoto, someone everyone will recognize too. Among the martial arts stuff is still the most significant parts of his character - he does the silly run as a dair, he throws sandwiches, his dodges are as silly and exaggerated as they should be.

If they literally just made him Goku it would be kinda lame, but instead he’s just Multiversus’ Ryu. I’m sure I’m not the first or last person to defend it but I just can’t think of much else we’d want to see Shaggy do that he isn’t already doing. I am curious though what Scooby himself is going to bring to the table.

Top Bottom