• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Sup Kutthroats? I'm a long-ish time Smashboards (joined around Smash 4s character speculation pre DLC) user locked out of his own account (I don't even remember my old username), but that's fine. I was somewhat prominently rooting for K. Rool during Smash Bros. 4. (I could probably find my old account if I cared to searched the archived K. Rool support threads.). I'll be here following speculation of the characters on my watchlist and lurking.

My two cents on K. Rool is that the best option is to be ever cautiously optimistic, but I'm liking his odds. The thing I keep thinking about is the Mii costumes added to Smash 4. K. Rool and Geno seemed oddly specific imo, and I have to wonder if they were a response to the Smash Ballot results, even though Nintendo never revealed the true number of votes they got and which characters were actually most popular.

Another thing K. Rool (and Geno) have in their favor is being nostalgic characters. K. Rool in Smash would be a nice introduction to younger Nintendo fans, but he has the added appeal of potentially attracting older fans who aren't much for video games any more, but might pick up Smash Bros. for Switch due to their fond love of the original DKC series. Geno has the same appeal for SMRPG fans.

But as usual I'm keeping my expectations tempered. Only time will tell if K. Rool will finally have his day in Smash.

How ironic. One of our greatest moments of shock and disappointment is now a source of hope!

This calls for more DKC

Probably won't happen, but since we're all still here being hopeful and all, how awesome would it be if that song got a remixed track as one of K. Rool's Smash songs a la Ashley's Song for Wario? It'd be a sweet nod to K. Rools supportive fanbase, and would show a fine eye for detail of our memes, as well as a definitive nod to K. Rool finally making it in the game. His finest hour indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
Welp, with Smash Switch on the horizon; I guess it's time to come back to support our mighty king of the Kremlings.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Awakining Awakining
@Best Gwen
@Schnee117
Super Nintendo Chalmers Super Nintendo Chalmers

You four are being embarrassing.

K.Rool fans had some behavior issues. That much cannot and should not be denied. I almost asked to be taken off the Kutthroat list because of it after Bayonetta and Corrin were revealed. I've said it before, we need to improve our behavior. Fortunately I think that since I don't see some problematic users, we should be okay for now. Still, let's remember to play nice. This is a hype time for all, so let's not ruin anyone's hype. We used to be a respectable community. Let's stay as one this time.

But to the two who seem to be making some moral crusade... Come off it. No one wants or needs to hear that. You are handling the situation so badly you're making everyone involved look bad. If you want better behavior, you need to actually take steps that get better behavior. Being sarcastic and snide and making literal comparisons to Nazis shows a surprising lack of social skills and empathy. Your behavior doesn't show a desire to improve. It shows spite. And if anything is gonna make the Kutthroats toxic again, its that.

We all need to shape up here.

Awakining Awakining
@Best Gwen
@Schnee117

K.Rool fans had some behavior issues. That much cannot and should not be denied. I almost asked to be taken off the Kutthroat list because of it after Bayonetta and Corrin were revealed. I've said it before, we need to improve our behavior. Fortunately I think that since I don't see some problematic users, we should be okay for now. Still, let's remember to play nice. This is a hype time for all, so let's not ruin anyone's hype. We used to be a respectable community. Let's stay as one this time.

But to the two who seem to be making some moral crusade... Come off it. No one wants or needs to hear that. You are handling the situation so badly you're making everyone involved look bad. If you want better behavior, you need to actually take steps that get better behavior. Being sarcastic and snide and making literal comparisons to Nazis shows a surprising lack of social skills and empathy. Your behavior doesn't show a desire to improve. It shows spite. And if anything is gonna make the Kutthroats toxic again, its that.

Sorry but I don't deserve to be put in that same bracket and nothing about what I said or did was embarrassing. Perhaps a bit of a smart ass response but simply giving back what was being taken. I have a very low tolerance for daftness and obtuseness, hence why I spoke out about the obvious trolling.

Also, why the need to bring it up again? It's done.

I made it quite clear that there were and are bad eggs, but to simply say that all the fans are bad eggs is inaccurate. That was the point i was challenging.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why the need to bring it up again? It's done.

I made it quite clear that there were and are bad eggs, but to simply say that all the fans are bad eggs is inaccurate. That was the point i was challenging.
That's a fair point and wasn't really what I was arguing.

D

Deleted member

Holy **** lmao I just wanted to support King K. Rool, but if this keeps being toxic I'll take my support elsewhere.

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
I'm genuinely worried that Funky Kong becoming playable in the only Switch DK game has almost completely killed K Rool's chances.
Strangely appropriate if so really as Funky was the one to finish off K Rool in DK64

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'm genuinely worried that Funky Kong becoming playable in the only Switch DK game has almost completely killed K Rool's chances.
Strangely appropriate if so really as Funky was the one to finish off K Rool in DK64
Why?

In any event, at worst it means we're getting another DK character instead which works for me. :O

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I love Funky Kong, that's great news for me. He could be super cool with his fruit weapons and surfboard.

Still though, sorry if that happens. I don't care much for K. Rool but I feel bad for you guys and would like to apologize if Funky gets in over him.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think Funky appearing in an updated port means much.

If anything, the port helps Dixie more.

Tbh I'm not sure Funky has the scope for a diverse moveset as a standalone character, but then again, I'm not the Director of Smash:). Though more DK representation is great so if it comes to that, it is what it is.

Still think Dixie and Cranky gain the most from the TF port.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
The most exciting part about Smash 5 is that this is the first Smash game Sakurai has results on what the worldwide audience wants thanks to the Smash Ballot.
I don't want to jinx it, but K. Rool has a chance to make it. A decent chance at best. Let's just not assume that Sakurai shares the same desires about characters as we do. He'll still do his own thing. And if K. Rool isn't in the base game? He'll be back for another round when DLC is announced.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Holy **** lmao I just wanted to support King K. Rool, but if this keeps being toxic I'll take my support elsewhere.
You would walk the plank before taking a sword for the King? How dare you!

The most exciting part about Smash 5 is that this is the first Smash game Sakurai has results on what the worldwide audience wants thanks to the Smash Ballot.
I don't want to jinx it, but K. Rool has a chance to make it. A decent chance at best. Let's just not assume that Sakurai shares the same desires about characters as we do. He'll still do his own thing. And if K. Rool isn't in the base game? He'll be back for another round when DLC is announced.
My biggest concern with the ballot is that it gives the Nintendo team more excuse to troll harder this time around. I don't expect K Rool to appear before E3. I in fact cannot see it happening.

Last edited:

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
You would walk the plank before taking a sword for the King? How dare you!

I in fact cannot see it happening.
Neither do I, but I have to hope. It's all I have and all I have had for the last 15+ years.
THE DREAM WILL NEVER DIE

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Alright I didn't want to get sucked back into the speculating/hoping/hype for K.Rool after Smash Wii U and the ballot I felt spit in my face with Corrin and Bayonetta. In hindsight I acted poorly in the case of Bayonetta. I never played a Bayonetta game (like the rest of the world) before she got into Smash. But recently got the switch ports and I gotta say she is a fantastic character and I enjoy her games. Corrin on the other hand was unnecessary. Yes she plays VERY different from other Fire Emblem characters which I do like but at the end of the day she was just there to promote Fates and once again in Hindsight I think at the end of the day it didn't matter. Fates came and went and most Fire Emblem fans put Fates as one of the worst fire emblem games to date. I remember when that direct started and we got a 6th Fire Emblem character I was like "No way! It's over for K.Rool we will never get a 3rd DKC rep, a DKC stage that isn't a jungle, or music that isn't 30 Jungle Hijinx remixes"

But now that we know we're getting a new Smash for Switch and it's been in development in secret for awhile as well as the smash ballot originally stating "characters for smash Wii U/3DS as well as future installments" as well as K.Rool becoming a Mii Costume in Wii U/3DS due to his popularity. I feel Sakurai has literally no excuse as to not even consider including him this time. He now knows how popular he is. He can't question if being "relevant" equates to being wanted/recognizable because now he knows he is. I'll be SHOCKED if we don't get K.Rool or at the very least Dixie in the base game especially with Tropical Freeze getting a Switch re-release. I gave Sakurai a pass for not including a Tropical Freeze stage in Smash Wii U because the game was too recent in Smash 4's development but once again I feel we might get a TF stage this time. I don't want to be utterly devastated again BUT I do want to join the Kutthroats again!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I feel Funky would get in as an easy character like Wolf, reusing models and animations. Hell he basically reuses Kong abilities in the TF port. I feel Funky would not be a threat to the King, think of him like a dessert to a great meal rather than the main course.

Also for food allergies please don’t poison the thief tnx.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I feel Funky would get in as an easy character like Wolf, reusing models and animations. Hell he basically reuses Kong abilities in the TF port. I feel Funky would not be a threat to the King, think of him like a dessert to a great meal rather than the main course.

Also for food allergies please don’t poison the thief tnx.
I don't follow this logic.
If we got a clone of DK, I would see it being DK Jr. He represents an entirely untapped region of Nintendo's most recognizable games, and conversely, stands on his own against DK and Diddy.

Funky has never once been used as the third Kong. Even in the release of the Tropical Freeze port, Funky is the fifth Kong.
Swampasaur may call it asinine, but I cannot see Funky Kong being the third Kong added. Kong number three is synonymous with Dixie.

D

Deleted member

I have nothing against Funky. I love the DK franchise. But to me, it is like counting

"I... 2....7.....Q"
You missed my point.
You said Funky was never the third kong, but you're wrong.
He was in Mario Kart Wii alongside DK and Diddy, and Dixie and Cranky were both absent.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hey, all. I wanted to give an update-of-sorts. I'm not going to be an active poster for this pre-game period. I've made my grievances known with the general state of Smash speculation and on a personal level, there's also illness in my family that for the indefinite future is going to take much of my time and energy to handle. It's still heartwarming to see a lot of the old Kutthroat guard coming back for one more round, and I'll be watching mostly from afar, keeping my fingers crossed we'll finally have our time in the sun. (I'm very 50/50 on K. Rool himself but if all goes well, a new DK game trailer where he's the villain will transition right into a Smash trailer starring him at E3, ala what we just saw with the Inklings).

One thing I wanted to note, given how things ended less than stellar with the ballot, there are going to be (and already have been) people coming in here exclusively to talk trash or make "salt" jabs, especially if K. Rool's not in again. In my absence, my ask is that everyone thinks carefully about, but doesn't whitewash what they post. Don't fall for obvious bait, flame or make personal insults, but if there are development choices you personally don't like, say so. A smart idea is to post explaining why you don't like that choice and/or share your idea of how that choice could have been better, rather than just saying it sucks.

The people who resented K. Rool not being in Retro's games and Smash thus far and spoke up are literally the only reason we're here now with a costume and a remote chance to bring a cool character back into the mainstream. Ask yourself if that ever would have happened if a majority of fans in 2010 told the dissidents to "Shut up and enjoy the content in Returns" or "Retro worked so hard on it." The way I see it K. Rool (and Ridley and Isaac) stands alone amid a newcomer pool of near-exclusively advertisement characters, and there may come a time where people need to get loud to avoid getting lost in the crowd (or, say, if Dixie gets added first and people start calling remaining K. Rool fans entitled for wanting "another DK Rep"). Don't pipe down, but mind the noise you make.

We've come a long way as a group and despite the twists as turns, the shared memories of pushing this cool character collectively will always be fond ones, at least to me. Until whenever next time is, let the memory-making continue.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Yo! It's been a while since I've been in a K. Rool support thread! But a new Smash is upon us, and I'd like to think we left an impression last time given the K. Rool costume. Let's hope the Kremling King makes it this time!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Y'all think Funky Kong is a threat to K. Rool?

We all know who the REAL shoo-in is.

Of course! He doesn't even need a support thread, he's such an obvious choice! I'd expect him to get in sooner than I would Donkey Kong himself!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Y'all think Funky Kong is a threat to K. Rool?

We all know who the REAL shoo-in is.

You wish. It is common knowledge that the true shoo-in DK rep is none other than Swanky Kong.

y'all delusional

its really nice to see so many familiar faces here, i was thinking that because this game is coming out this year and there is not much production time left that means that the characters who are getting in are already decided and that campaigning characters wont really do anything unless there is dlc.

at this point all we can do is wait speculate and talk.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Crossing my fingers that the king of krocs is finally playable, please Sakurai.
I have hope the ballot made Sakurai see how much K. Rool is wanted. Only time will tell sadly.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I don't think campaigning hurts as I'm sure Nintendo will slap a season pass on this smash and probably a ballot of its own.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't want to speak too early, but I'm more confident in K. Rool's odds than ever before.

I'm not gonna say I expect him to be in the next game.

But I will say a lot of things are in his favor this time, regardless of his long absence from games.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I don't think campaigning hurts as I'm sure Nintendo will slap a season pass on this smash and probably a ballot of its own.
Yeah, I am kind of expecting that too.

I doubt Smash 4 will be the only entry in the series to have DLC.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
King K. Rool is far and away my most wanted character for the upcoming smash. My biggest hope is that ballot was a litmus test to see what the community wants. I hope he did well enough in the ballot to catch Sakurai's eye. The Mii costume certainly implies he's been on Sakurai's mind.

D

Deleted member

Unless Tropical Freeze becomes a megaton success, I doubt a port will do anything for his, Dixie, or Cranky's chances. I can't remember a single time that a port has ever lead to the addition of a character. Maybe Kid Icarus with Pit since I recall there being discussion on the Smash for Switch speculation thread when Funky Kong was all the rage in debates but I don't recall the details regarding it and I'm too lazy to search back.

It's King K. Rool or no one for a DK character. He still has a shot, just not a large one.

D

Deleted member

I can't remember a single time that a port has ever lead to the addition of a character.
Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it will never happen.
Besides, how many port did Nintendo make in the past that could've influenced Smash at the time of their release?

D

Deleted member

Sorry to hear your family is going through a rough patch right now BKupa666 someone in my family has had some serious health issues lately. And we're all hoping all will be well with them. So yeah illness has plagued me too really sucks hope you and your family will be well and hope whatever is happening gets resolved eventually.

Always good to hear from our grand leader hope when you come back again our Kremling King will be announced.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Awakining Awakining
@Best Gwen
@Schnee117

You hit the nail on the head, Swampy, and I definitely agree with what you've said. For what it is worth, I regret my egregious behavior during this event, and hope that you all will accept my apology :)

I do not know if K. Rool is Radioactive.
Given the absolutely massive quantities of bananas he's stolen, I wouldn't be surprised if, at one point, he was :p.

Hey, all. I wanted to give an update-of-sorts. I'm not going to be an active poster for this pre-game period. I've made my grievances known with the general state of Smash speculation and on a personal level, there's also illness in my family that for the indefinite future is going to take much of my time and energy to handle. It's still heartwarming to see a lot of the old Kutthroat guard coming back for one more round, and I'll be watching mostly from afar, keeping my fingers crossed we'll finally have our time in the sun. (I'm very 50/50 on K. Rool himself but if all goes well, a new DK game trailer where he's the villain will transition right into a Smash trailer starring him at E3, ala what we just saw with the Inklings).

One thing I wanted to note, given how things ended less than stellar with the ballot, there are going to be (and already have been) people coming in here exclusively to talk trash or make "salt" jabs, especially if K. Rool's not in again. In my absence, my ask is that everyone thinks carefully about, but doesn't whitewash what they post. Don't fall for obvious bait, flame or make personal insults, but if there are development choices you personally don't like, say so. A smart idea is to post explaining why you don't like that choice and/or share your idea of how that choice could have been better, rather than just saying it sucks.

The people who resented K. Rool not being in Retro's games and Smash thus far and spoke up are literally the only reason we're here now with a costume and a remote chance to bring a cool character back into the mainstream. Ask yourself if that ever would have happened if a majority of fans in 2010 told the dissidents to "Shut up and enjoy the content in Returns" or "Retro worked so hard on it." The way I see it K. Rool (and Ridley and Isaac) stands alone amid a newcomer pool of near-exclusively advertisement characters, and there may come a time where people need to get loud to avoid getting lost in the crowd (or, say, if Dixie gets added first and people start calling remaining K. Rool fans entitled for wanting "another DK Rep"). Don't pipe down, but mind the noise you make.

We've come a long way as a group and despite the twists as turns, the shared memories of pushing this cool character collectively will always be fond ones, at least to me. Until whenever next time is, let the memory-making continue.
I'm sorry to hear that such unfortunate happenings have befallen you, BKupa. Your presence in this thread will be missed, but please take however much time you need. I hope your situation improves.

Last edited:

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Nya! Heard the magical news of smash 5 and just had to revive myself from the hell known as inactivity nya! The kutthroats have revived for the glorious hope of our kings nyarrival!! Long live the king nya!!! Long live the king nya!!! :nifty:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Here once more to cheer for the “Big 3” (K Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo). My three most wanted characters for the third Smash game in a row!

Top Bottom