• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
If Cammy's attire "banned" her from Smash, she wouldn't have been a Spirit with no alterations like several other characters have had.

Yes, a Spirit is different from being a fighter (and no reason to assume Cammy will ever be playable), but Mai was barred from making ANY sort of appearance, Spirit included.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
Sans is such a fun idea and I'd love to see it happen. Always envisioned his Final Smash being a semi-recreation of his penultimate attack (the long crazy one before his "never-ending turn" attack), complete with a recreation of the Undertale battle format and UI, but just replace the heart with the character/characters' stock icons.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I feel like a lot of people envision this edgy genocide fandom version of Sans when they picture him in Smash. But I think that stuff would really only come out in his final smash. The rest of his moveset would probably be goofball ****.
I picture Sans fighting like a goofball and not edgy, but still using his boss attacks because that's the only time he fights like DarthEnderX said. His archetype would almost certainly be a glass cannon, I'm sure he'd have a lot of powerful moves but to compensate he's really light, just like how he has 1 HP in Undertale.

Sans is such a fun idea and I'd love to see it happen. Always envisioned his Final Smash being a semi-recreation of his penultimate attack (the long crazy one before his "never-ending turn" attack), complete with a recreation of the Undertale battle format and UI, but just replace the heart with the character/characters' stock icons.
And yeah, I'd love for his Final Smash to be this, especially if you can control your stock icon like the player's Soul in Undertale by moving it around.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I feel quite certain that if Sakurai does reach that point of wanting to put in a notable character who has a very risque design, he would sooner let the game get a T Rating than try to constantly fight CERO over the rating.
Surely Nintendo has control over what rating they want the game to have, not Sakurai? If they were shooting for a lower rating, I really doubt they would want to raise the rating just for one character. That said, I don't think we're likely to get anyone who would require more censorship or rating liberties than we already have, so the discussion may very well be moot anyway.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
His archetype would almost certainly be a glass cannon, I'm sure he'd have a lot of powerful moves but to compensate he's really light, just like how he has 1 HP in Undertale.
An amazing Spirit battle for Sans would be he only has 1hp, but he's invincible for a looooong time, and you just have to survive till it wears off.

Always envisioned his Final Smash being a semi-recreation of his penultimate attack (the long crazy one before his "never-ending turn" attack)

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
My ideal Sans moveset would be a moveset where he is basically so lazy that he never directly attacks opponents and just does stuff like play trombone and make hotdogs.

Not a single Gaster Blaster involved.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Cammy's standard gear might be riding the line as far as Smash's rating especially as her spirit is only seen from the front. I'd imagine her with an actual fighter model might just be too much for CERO to allow an A rating, assuming they didn't alter her leotard to something closer to shorts in length like with amateur wrestlers:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Cammy's standard gear might be riding the line as far as Smash's rating especially as her spirit is only seen from the front. I'd imagine her with an actual fighter model might just be too much for CERO to allow an A rating, assuming they didn't alter her leotard to something closer to shorts in length like with amateur wrestlers:

That is what happened to Pyra. Her original spirit used her standard design, but implementing her as a fighter required a slight redesign.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That is what happened to Pyra. Her original spirit used her standard design, but implementing her as a fighter required a slight redesign.
Although Mythra was redesigned for her Spirit, and said redesign actually ended up becoming canon.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Here is a topic that doesn't get discussed much around here.

Reveal Trailers. As Ultimate Teaser Trailer reaches 6 years. I think know is a good time discuss.

From Smash 4 to Ultimate, what are your opinions of how the reveal trailers have been conducted so far and how should be presented for Smash 6?

There are some that believe that the reveal trailers have been a severe downgrade from Smash 4 to Ultimate's. There is some truth in that where 4 has more creative and zany trailers like live-action setups for Miis and Anime-inspired direction for Dark Pits reveal compared to standard ones like Joker, Byleth and Terry in Ultimate.

Personally, the best trailers for me are the ones that are straight-up battles: Falcon vs Lucina, Mario vs Charizard, Link vs Pit, Reggie vs Iwata, Link vs Marth and Meta, Ken vs Mac and Incineroar, Sephiroth vs Smash Bros etc.

Unfortunately there is much less in Ultimate than 4 with former more focused on the advertisement "here's the character" which alright but hope matchup fight-type return for much greater effect for Smash 6

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

Reveal Trailers. As Ultimate Teaser Trailer reaches 6 years. I think know is a good time discuss.

From Smash 4 to Ultimate, what are your opinions of how the reveal trailers have been conducted so far and how should be presented for Smash 6?

There are some that believe that the reveal trailers have been a severe downgrade from Smash 4 to Ultimate's. There is some truth in that where 4 has more creative and zany trailers like live-action setups for Miis and Anime-inspired direction for Dark Pits reveal compared to standard ones like Joker, Byleth and Terry in Ultimate.

Ultimate's reveal trailers were radical for the most part. Ridley, K Rool, Banjo, Steve...Simon's especially was incredible.

Yeah there's a stinker here and there, but for the most part they've been knocking it out of the park. They should just keep doing what they're doing :kirby:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
For Ultimate I'd say there was just one real character reveal trailer that underdelivered which was Byleth's, and that's not even due to the character or the franchise. It was just a badly paced video with a joke that didn't quite land, and the feel of a trailer that felt like it was meant for something like the Game Awards rather than a mystery Sakurai Presents.

The only thing I can even say close to negative about any other reveal was that the timing of Pyra/Mythra's trailer in February 2021 made it a dead giveaway that it was a Smash character video rather than potential Xenoblade 2 DLC.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Personally, the best trailers for me are the ones that are straight-up battles: Falcon vs Lucina, Mario vs Charizard, Link vs Pit, Reggie vs Iwata, Link vs Marth and Meta, Ken vs Mac and Incineroar, Sephiroth vs Smash Bros etc.

Unfortunately there is much less in Ultimate than 4 with former more focused on the advertisement "here's the character" which alright but hope matchup fight-type return for much greater effect for Smash 6

Yeah ultimate's trailers were fantastic, incredibly well made and directed in such a way to get the inject the hype directly into your brain like with Sephiroth and even Terry, Steve and ESPECIALLY Sora.

But I will say I think the Smash 4 DLC Trailers that are basically entirely in engine and mostly gameplay are incredibly underrated.

I ****ing love Ryu and Cloud's

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

I don't get the "severe downgrade" people are talking about. The work they did for Simon and Richter's trailer, as well as Terry's and Sephiroth's were great. It's not like all of Smash 4's trailer were top notch either.

I think the reveal trailers were overall fine throughout both games. There's really no way for me to say which game did it better.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

I think Ultimate is fine with all it's matchup ones

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I think comparing cinematic trailers with the in-game ones is extremely deceptive. Why he didn't use Sora, Sephiroth, Kazuya, Simon, Ridley or K Rool trailers as the examples? Oh because if he did his entire "point" would have been completely refuted. I think the tweet in question is just shallow engagement farming and fails to hold up even to the slightest bit of scrutiny like idk portraying both sides accurately. It's so lame when people purposefully cherry-pick like that to make empty points and how the structures of social media incentivize this behavior. I'm not in the mood today for standard human bull**** today so my apologies.

Quite honestly I wish they'd get away from cinematic trailers. Who cares once its done? You get 1 blast of pleasure chemicals seeing it in the moment and then it's over. You can revisit it and they're still cool and all but it just doesn't matter anymore because the fighter is released and you can just play them now. All that money could have gone to more content in the game we're actually playing. While I'm sure cinematic trailers can do wonders for marketing a game/DLC I still would rather that money go towards actual content. So sign me up for every fighter getting an in-game trailer for now on if it means more money for the devs to work with.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well if we’re talking reveal trailers I have a few thoughts. The smash 4 trailers were pretty much all good only one I found boring was jr’s but that’s cause I’m bored of the music used in it

as for ultimate it was a more mixed bag. If I may do them individually

Inklings: unlike when villager appeared in smash 4s trailer this one felt lacking in ceremony. Though that’s probably due to it being just a teaser

Ridley: pretty solid trailer overall

Belmonts: my main takeaway was they didn’t save Luigi

K. Rule: unbelievably fun

Isabelle: nice enough

Ken + inceneroar: ruined by the leaks

PP: I suppose it was fine. I was just confused at the time

Joker: I haven’t rewatched it since I played P5 but this was not the way to sell people on the game

Hero: both wrong with it really

B&K: amazing. one of the best pre launch trailers remade spectacularly

Terry: a bit drawn out

Byleth: cringe worthy.

Min-Min: despite its blatant disregard for ARMS lore still very hype

Steve: the actual entrance was kinda dull but that music is fun

Sephiroth: epic despite the continued use of smash in certain sentences

Pythra: meh

Kazuya: most underwhelming of them all. just a guy throwing people of a cliff

Sora: this was the best one ever

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I think comparing cinematic trailers with the in-game ones is extremely deceptive. Why he didn't use Sora, Sephiroth, Kazuya, Simon, Ridley or K Rool trailers as the examples? Oh because if he did his entire "point" would have been completely refuted. I think the tweet in question is just shallow engagement farming and fails to hold up even to the slightest bit of scrutiny like idk portraying both sides accurately. It's so lame when people purposefully cherry-pick like that to make empty points and how the structures of social media incentivize this behavior. I'm not in the mood today for standard human bull**** today so my apologies.

Quite honestly I wish they'd get away from cinematic trailers. Who cares once its done? You get 1 blast of pleasure chemicals seeing it in the moment and then it's over. You can revisit it and they're still cool and all but it just doesn't matter anymore because the fighter is released and you can just play them now. All that money could have gone to more content in the game we're actually playing. While I'm sure cinematic trailers can do wonders for marketing a game/DLC I still would rather that money go towards actual content. So sign me up for every fighter getting an in-game trailer for now on if it means more money for the devs to work with.
That's boring. Also that's not how budget allocation works. Taking down the quality of the reveal trailers isn't gonna mean more money for the rest of the game

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Yknow what, I do have some hangups with the way certain trailers are directed but not for quiiiite the same reason, both Smash 4 and Ultimate hit some peaks but have a few relative duds - some can't be helped though, they obviously cut the budget for DLC during Smash 4. I think my main issue when certain trailers that feel more insular, where the characters are talking to themselves but it's not really taking full advantage of the crossover potential outside of saying "look at all these legendary fighters!". One of my favorites is the Simon trailer, because the crossover with Luigi's Mansion is totally obvious and hilarious. It leans harder into the fun opportunities that having these characters together would bring. Charizard / Greninja trailer from Smash 4 is a highlight for how action packed it is, Bowser Jr too.

Byleth's gets a lot of flak but I personally think it's justified. Nobody else physically appears in that trailer. It does especially suffer from how obvious it was, it would have been better served during the middle of a Direct like with Isabelle's whose trailer I think is fine and works for what it was trying to accomplish. But some of those narration trailers as well, like Corrin / Joker / Pythra are a little obnoxious if you're not "in" on it - I didn't mind in Palutena's trailer, because I love those characters. I'm sure for someone else that one was annoying, but I also think it was done in a lot more reservation during Smash 4. I think in general I like the cutscenes to speak for themselves.

Ultimate also leaned a lot harder into Smash as an "invite" affair. I kinda liked what was going on in Robin's trailer, it felt more like Lucina and Robin needed to fight Falcon as some sort of ambassador to prove themselves worthy - even if you didn't really care that much about Fire Emblem, this was a trailer that got you perked up in your seat and excited. I don't mind the Smash letter set-up, but I think given the choice the second one is more exciting. Mega Man, Ridley and Sephiroth are excellent trailers that involve the character dominating the cast. Little Mac wasn't like that, but I do like the framing around him training so hard for this. Terry and Min Min's trailers strike a happy medium here of their respective crews competing against each other for their shot. I know I complained about trailers feeling insular, but I quite like these ones. Falcon slurping up ramen is an instant classic and the whole SNK gang got in on the affair, so it still felt like a meaningful crossover.

So I dunno, I'm definitely happy with more trailers than not, but I hope next game will continue to prioritize making each trailer feel like a crossover event in some way or another and maybe dial back the habit of doing that anime narration shtick. I think the leg up that Smash 4 has is every trailer did involve a cinematic of those characters meeting up with and interacting with someone in the game in a fun way. I don't wanna say Ultimate's trailers were worse on the whole, but I think some habits started to show that made some of them a little less special / less unique... does that make any sense?

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
As far as trailer goes, I think overall I liked more Ultimate's trailer than Smash 4, but I think the weakest one is Isabelle. It's just dragging for way too long. I get that they wanted to tease people for a new Animal crossing on Switch, but because of that it make the trailer way less rewatchable than others.

I don't hate Smash 4 trailer and there's a lot of highlights like Palutena, Duck hunt, Bowser Jr., Mega man, but there's a few of them that I found weak. Pac-Man is really disappointing imo, it feels like they could have done much more with the character. I also think that Little mac is dragging for slightly too long and Shulk there's just not enough happening. I also think Ryu is pretty weak, tho I get that they didn't have a lot of budgets for dlc trailer for that game (but I find the other dlc trailer much better, even Corrin).

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
That's boring. Also that's not how budget allocation works. Taking down the quality of the reveal trailers isn't gonna mean more money for the rest of the game
Um that's not how it works? Cinematic trailers are obviously MUCH more expensive than in-game trailers. If the game's budget is 100 dollars and a cinematic trailer cost 30 dollars to produce versus 3 dollars for an in-game trailer then that's 27 more dollars to be allocated elsewhere.

If your argument is that the budget would get slashed to 50 dollars if we took cinematic trailers out of consideration that's a whole other thing entirely and has nothing to do with what I said.

If budget remains same between doing either all cinematic trailers versus all in-game trailers then there's objectively more resources available by taking the cheaper option.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Trailer quality varies from person to person and enjoyment of said trailer is quite subjective.

As an example, one trailer that I'm not a big fan of is the Robin / Lucina trailer, and Robin is my favourite Fire Emblem character in the game.

While the cinematic of the trailer is amazing, the hype of the trailer drops off HARD, and I think that's in large parts due Lucina and the music.

Once Robin had his gameplay section, shouting out spells and being generally awesome. The music does down, and we move on to Lucina. While the music is slow, we just hear Lucina's grunts, and it's just super bland and the action is just dead. With Lucina being a clone, the music needed to do more heavy lifting and it didn't.

This is followed up by two very awkwardly tacked on post credit style scenes. Chrom as a final smash, which was just the wrong way to reveal that. And female Robin. Which is literally "PS, you can play as female Robin". It's just super awkward.

The choice of music in general I think was a mistake. The melee remix of the meeting theme? They should've gone with the new meeting medley if they wanted to use that melody because it keeps the hype music going for longer, and could have allowed for a more interesting introduction to Lucina and Chrom.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Didn't Sakurai kinda sorta admit that the budget that wouldve gone into in-game cutscenes was instead spent on the newcomer reveals?

Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked hard to create were uploaded onto the internet." Sakurai lamented. "You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them.
-Sakurai

He also said the effort that went into those cutscenes went into the Fighter reveals precisely because they benefit more from being spread around.

Now Ultimate was able to have both Fighter Reveals and also some World of Light Cutscenes, though the World of Light cutscenes are very few in comparison, and the ones we do have, most are just the Galeem and Dharkon shooting lasers at each other.

Um that's not how it works? Cinematic trailers are obviously MUCH more expensive than in-game trailers. If the game's budget is 100 dollars and a cinematic trailer cost 30 dollars to produce versus 3 dollars for an in-game trailer then that's 27 more dollars to be allocated elsewhere.

If your argument is that the budget would get slashed to 50 dollars if we took cinematic trailers out of consideration that's a whole other thing entirely and has nothing to do with what I said.

If budget remains same between doing either all cinematic trailers versus all in-game trailers then there's objectively more resources available by taking the cheaper option.
I think the main thing is that taking money from the Trailer portion of things won't automatically translate to the Actual game development side of things, especially since for Smash, the Trailers are outsourced to other Companies (Digital Frontier mainly, but also at times Inteligent systems and Monolith Soft). I guess you could have more money left over to pay the Game Developers for longer

But Nintendo not only has money, they also are very willing to spend it, since they are putting Millions into expanding their Development floors, and some of their Most Revent games (Mario Wonder and Tears of the Kingdom) are getting expanded Development cycles.

At this point, I expect there to be more High Definition Fighter reveals, and maybe if we get a Huge story mode, High Definition Cutscenes

Louie G.

Smash Hero
This is followed up by two very awkwardly tacked on post credit style scenes. Chrom as a final smash, which was just the wrong way to reveal that. And female Robin. Which is literally "PS, you can play as female Robin". It's just super awkward.

The choice of music in general I think was a mistake. The melee remix of the meeting theme? They should've gone with the new meeting medley if they wanted to use that melody because it keeps the hype music going for longer, and could have allowed for a more interesting introduction to Lucina and Chrom.
Agree with the first bit, the Chrom reveal is baffling to this day. I almost feel like they had to add him in Ultimate just to make up for how much they fumbled that lmao. I do love the trailer though.

I actually really like the use of “Fire Emblem (Melee)” because at this point it felt like a rebirth for the series. It wasn’t par for the course to be getting a FE character like it is now, and not in trailer fashion either, so it was a cool celebration of the series’ legacy in Smash and the swell into main theme where all the heroes merge is cute. I get where you’re coming from but I’d defend this choice.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I almost feel like they had to add him in Ultimate just to make up for how much they fumbled that lmao.
I don't know if that's the reason he was made playable, but his Congratulations screen

HAS to be the Smash team going "Yay! He got his chance for real!"

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I have been hooked on Sakurai's brand since Snake's reveal trailer and I hope it lasts for ar least another game or two. I love the epicacity of Sephiroth beating the final boss of the game and brushing everyone aside like playthings a s I love the quirky cuteness of Kirby and Captain Falcon slurping ramen. I guess I have to pick Byleth was a bit ... dry.

Ivander

Smash Legend
People claiming Smash 4's trailers are better by comparing Smash 4's good trailers vs Ultimate's bad trailers? Shocking. Shocking I tell you. :rolleyes:

Look. There's nothing wrong with liking Smash 4's trailers or not liking Ultimate's trailers, but comparing Smash 4's good trailers to Ultimate's not as well recieved trailers to make your opinion valid does not help at all.
And personally, I do like some of Smash 4's trailers. Rosalina, Lucina and Robin, Greninja, Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt's were great. Heck, Robin and Lucina's trailer is still the best FE newcomer trailer IMO.
But that said, I prefer Ultimate's trailers more. Some of them IMO really blow the Smash 4 trailers out of the water in presentation and what especially really helps them hit hard for me was the music. Ridley's theme, Vampire Killer and Divine Bloodlines, Id ~Purpose~, the Dragon Quest main theme and DQ3's Map theme IIRC, Spiral Mountain, the ARMS Main theme, the Minecraft music, the Simple and Clean Orchestra and frickin' Gangplank Galleon and One Winged Angel. The music really powered the hype train to maximum.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Regarding trailers:

I enjoyed Ultimate's for the most part, Ridley's, Simon's, K. Rool's, Banjo's, and Sephiroths were my favorites. I do have a few gripes, though.

They need to stop doing fake-outs (as in, the trailer looks like another game, but is actually Smash!). Fake-outs only work if a Smash game hasn't been announced yet; Inkling's trailer is a perfect example of this, it blew me away by how unexpected it was. But that's the thing; once people know a Smash game is out there and in development, they'll expect anything in forthcoming showcases/directs to be related to Smash. What's worse is that even if you're not expecting Smash, the trailer usually starts with a "not actual gameplay footage" disclaimer at the bottom, which is a dead giveaway that something is Smash.

And this next thing is personal preference, but the trailers where the characters talk like "woahhh omg I'm in Smash!!" and "look at all of these cool heroic opponents of legend!!" are just... objectively inferior to trailers where the character just shows up and lets their havoc do their talking for them. Showing, not telling, and all that. It just makes for a better-paced trailer and something that's more memorable.

Banjo's trailer was my favorite, just the DK gang chilling, noticing something familiar, getting in each other's way trying to see what it is, some nice and brief character interaction with Duck Hunt, right before the grand reveal. And then they top it off by murdering K. Rool to reference Grunty and then show everyone celebrating like that didn't just happen. Perfection. I wouldn't have done it any other way. More of that, please.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
And then they top it off by murdering K. Rool to reference Grunty and then show everyone celebrating like that didn't just happen.
Justice for K. Rool, he was just minding his own business and even cheering for Banjo’s return and they push him off a cliff and throw a boulder on top. A guy tries to change and this is what he gets, smh.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
They need to stop doing fake-outs (as in, the trailer looks like another game, but is actually Smash!). Fake-outs only work if a Smash game hasn't been announced yet; Inkling's trailer is a perfect example of this, it blew me away by how unexpected it was. But that's the thing; once people know a Smash game is out there and in development, they'll expect anything in forthcoming showcases/directs to be related to Smash. What's worse is that even if you're not expecting Smash, the trailer usually starts with a "not actual gameplay footage" disclaimer at the bottom, which is a dead giveaway that something is Smash.
Adding on to this, I find it funny how Smash's tendency to do fake outs ends up enhancing other trailers inadvertently, like with Splatoon 3's announcement.

Top Bottom