• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

“Like the fleas in your fur, I keep coming back!”-Neo Cortex Support Thread

D

Deleted member

(I’ll be working more on this post as summer goes, since I’m not able to complete it on a single day).

FCA5E247-99F5-434C-8238-9BB696C2FF38.png

“Well, well, well.... If it isn’t a new Smashboards user, lurking here to know about myself!”

A short summary of the character
Dr.Neo Cortex is for Crash Bandicoot what Eggman or Bowser are for Sonic and Mario respectively. In the same way that Crash got some inspirations from cartoon characters like the Tazmanian Devil, Cortex is inspired to some extent by the character of Brain from the Pinky & Brain animated series. He is the creator of Crash, who as Cortex said was supposed to be his general and lead the Cortex commando for world domination. Cortex was supposed to be triumphant that day... But his Cortex Vortex failed and Crash became a wild being who ran away from Cortex Island. After beating the creatures he experimented with and Cortex himself, he would return in Cortex Strikes Back, trying to make Crash believe that he became part of the good guys as a way to fool him into getting all the crystals on Earth for him and give power to his new version of the Cortex Vortex, now a space station too. His plans fails again, but returns in Crash Bandicoot Warped, where the destruction of the new Vortex accidentally brought back the evil Uka Uka, Aku Aku’s mean spirited brother. Working for Uka Uka, they mess history to rule everything on the planet, but Crash does defeat him again. Games like Twinsanity expanded the lore of the character more with additions like her daughter (or maybe niece?) Nina Cortex and the school of evil he used to be in before getting on his own island.

A little bit of trivia worth to mention is that the manual for Wrath Of Cortex claims that he was born from a family of clowns, althought it is unknown if this information is considered canon in an official way.
What could he bring up for moveset potential doh?
While Cortex tends to be the main villain in most of the games, players were able to play as him through games like Crash Team Racing, Crash Bash, N.Tranced’s multiplayer, Nitro Kart, Tag Team Racing, Skylanders Imaginators and the fan-favourite Crash Twinsanity. His potential moveset for a Smash appearance could likely take most of his moves from both Imaginators and Twinsanity:

-His classic overboard would likely be the recovery
-Uka Uka could be his down special, being either similar to K.Rool’s down special or something reminiscent of R.O.B.’s gyro (as a reference to the boss fight in Warped).
-His neutral special could be shots from his energy pistol, with the effect of each shot depending of the colour (the purple shots work like regular ones, the blue ones make a spiral or waving movement and the green ones can be taken back to Cortex).
-His side special could either be him using his jetpack from Cortex Strikes Back as a charged attack (reminiscent of Luigi’s side special) or the mines from his boss fight in Warped.

-The Final Smash could be the Cortex Vortex from Crash 2 or the Mecha Bandicoot from Twinsanity.
-(suggested by CrusherMania1592 CrusherMania1592 ) his grab could be inspired by Crash Bash, where he uses his gun to pick up any item or opponent.

Why he could be in or not?
The stuff in favour of Cortex’s chances could be:
-The increasing amount of playable villains in Smash
-The popularity of the character in the Crash fandom
-A potential promotion for a Twinsanity remaster
-The idea of Activision getting a character if Crash does get in
-The presence of popular videogame villains like K.Rool, Bowser, Ridley or Ganondorf.

However, he does have stuff against him:
-He would likely come after Crash
-Spyro tends to be more requested online
-He would currently be the first DLC villain in Smash ignoring veterans added in Smash 4 through them like Mewtwo
-He doesn’t have as much potential for alts as Crash
-Lex Lang might be hard to get back to voice the character.
-Could be added as part of a stage or spirit board if Crash gets in

What could be his stage?

Two possible stages for Cortex are Cortex Island and his boss fight arena from the beginning of Twinsanity.

The first one would be based on his boss fight from Crash Bandicoot 1, but with a day and night cycle, and the status of Cortex’s castle changing constantly since the start of the battle (going from being completely normal to slowly getting more destroyed and consumed by flames resembling the final boss stage from Crash Bandicoot 1). Some enemies or bosses from the game could also appear in the background watching the battle.

The other stage would have hazards in the form of a breakable floor which reveals spikes when it gets taken down. The bosses who appear in the cutscene before the boss fight with Cortex would appear in the background watching the fight.

Supporter List
- @JDCabrera
- CrusherMania1592 CrusherMania1592
- Sari Sari
- Pizza Robo Pizza Robo
- random rendum random rendum

Last edited by a moderator:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Add me to the support list!

I definitely love the idea of Cortex being playable and I feel that some of his attacks should also come from Crash Bash as well. Let's say he were to carry a capsule or a crate, he would use his energy pistol to carry it.

D

Deleted member

Add me to the support list!

I definitely love the idea of Cortex being playable and I feel that some of his attacks should also come from Crash Bash as well. Let's say he were to carry a capsule or a crate, he would use his energy pistol to carry it.
I like that idea too.

Maybe a secondary effect of the proposed neutral special or his grab.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I support as long as this is one of his alternate costumes:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I support as long as this is one of his alternate costumes:

I question how Cortex was even able to pull off that look and fool Crash with it lol

Hmm...I can see MechaBandicoot theme being one of the themes for Cortex's stage. Was thinking some of his fights plus Cortex's Castle from CTR?

D

Deleted member

I question how Cortex was even able to pull off that look and fool Crash with it lol

Hmm...I can see MechaBandicoot theme being one of the themes for Cortex's stage. Was thinking some of his fights plus Cortex's Castle from CTR?
A cover of the MechaBandicoot theme would be great!

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I'd rather have Cortex over Crash. I just think he'd be more interesting.

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
Hello, my name is Voodoo and I want Dr. neo Cortex in Smash.

Who is Dr. Neo Cortex?
Cortex is the main villian in almost every crash bandicoot game, and he made a guest appearance in Skylanders: Imaginators, alongside his hero counterpart, Crash Bandicoot.

How should he be put in?
Well, I think Crash and Cortex would both be great fighters to add to the roster. I think they should both be available as single packs, or as a double-DLC fighter pack.

Honestly, I've only ever played one Crash game, and that was the most recent one released on PS4. Obviously, you couldn't play as Cortex in that gameb but he still had powers and technology that could be used as a moveset. Maybe they could even copy something from Skylanders: Imaginators. In Skylanders, he was a playable character with moves referencing the old crash games.

But, in the meantime, I challenge you guys to make a moveset for Dr. Neo Cortex in the comments of this post, or, post one of your own on a different thread and leave the link below.

My post above was moved here by a moderator, so please don't get confused

I support Cortex for Smash. I haven't played many crash games, but I enjoyed the most recent release on PS4, and I loved playing the pair in Skylanders Imaginators.

Please add me to the list! :)

Oh, and for the topic of alternate colors/costumes.... Heres some ideas
1.Black Clothes (References Kaos, the main villian of Skylanders, a game in which he was a popular playable character)
2. Girl (Look at posts aboveb you will understand.
3. Pharoah (This was a costume for his in one of the Crash games)
4. Green (Green team OR Dr. Nitrus Brio)

Thats all I got.... Anyone else wanna give thus a go?

Edit: I had an idea for the Final Smash, if the Cortex Vortex doesn't work.

In Skylanders Imaginators, he had a special move that you could unlock through a Sensei Shrine. He had a sort of Staff that he'd use to strike lightning on things around him. This could be tuned down to an Instant-Kill targeting system, or they could keep it how it was in Skylanders

Last edited:
Top Bottom