• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS: Out of Shield Responses

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Hello All,

No time for a big explanation right now. Here's the short version: I have started analyzing the moves we can do out of shield. This started with wanting to know everything we can shield grab. Here's the results so far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18I1AKp-NauVQVcY-ru-5F4HY7RyMKyK4KSPRQF9waV0/edit?usp=sharing

There may be errors, have fun!

I'll continue tonight.

Update 1 - This preliminary version did not add shield hitlag to the defender when being hit by a projectile. This was because I'm going fast to get some relevant info for EVO. That's a relevant fix because most hits will trade attacker/defender hitlag evenly, while projectile users will not suffer attacker hitlag under any circumstance.

For now, the fact that I'm using regular shield stun (this spreadsheet currently never assumes powershielding from the ZSS player), that'll be a sort of safety factor when estimating relevant safety of out of shield responses.

I'll fix it in the final version.

Update 2 - This is a feature note for me. I'm currently using the fastest way to mitigate lag for most moves (hence, most aerials use their landing lag, not their first actionable frame). However, some have special circumstances. Many specials and aerials can be easily edge cancelled after use. Those could use highlighting, or something (though highlighting is already used in this document... maybe bold the row?)

Update 3 - Another note for me. Landing lags of special moves are hit and miss. For instance: KH does not have the first actionable frame on Shiek's Bouncing Fish (on shield or not) or on Vanish.

Update 4 - Once I get this done, the moves should be reviewed to find consistent results regarding moves with multiple hitboxes. If an up tilt has 4 hitboxes (right now, that's 4 rows in the spreadsheet), but they ALL can be grabbed by ZSS grab length 1 and 2, then that data entry could be simplified in a future reference sheet version of that character's data card.

Update 5 - May bold entries to indicate their applicable use when power shielding. Could also highlight a different color.

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
OK, some more characters are done, as I've worked through the night with this, practice, and other tech.

Right now, this includes Baynetta, Cloud, Diddy Kong, Mario, Sheik, and Yoshi.

The "updates" in the OP are more like notes for myself as I processed this. Cramming this much relevant info into a "card" type thing is difficult, but I'm working on it. I think a steady reference would be useful for ZSS mains, for practice or for in tournaments.

skoolzout1

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skoolzout1
3DS FC
0018-2889-0858
This is awesome! Before we know it, we'll all start looking like Dabuz at apex, pulling out a laptop for notes between each game

Conti

Smash Ace
Just curious, what does, the Grab Frame stuff mean, i see there's like 3 different sections for grab, is this based on like, the persons reaction? or positioning of the grab? [is there like different grab hitboxes or something xD]

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Just curious, what does, the Grab Frame stuff mean, i see there's like 3 different sections for grab, is this based on like, the persons reaction? or positioning of the grab? [is there like different grab hitboxes or something xD]
Heyo! The grab frame stuff is for determining what distance you can grab at. If you shield slide away, you may have to rely on a longer grab, which takes more frames to come out. So the three grab ranges are the first frame, the last frame, and a frame in the middle.

NSM | Earthshaker

Smash Rookie
NNID
omarmo1214
For these moves that you listed, are we assuming that these moves are spaced optimally and/or auto cancelled (like yoshi's fair)?

J_the_Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J_the_Man24
What I'm learning so far: Having a frame 4 OoS option is kinda amazing.

Anyways, you list Diddy Kong's Fair as punishable by Frame 16 grab; I'm assuming that's falling Fair, correct?

Top Bottom