• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[:zss:] NCSU Smash Rehash Vol. 5 "The Next Best Thing" ft. Florida, GA, MD/VA =]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Clearly our memories are different, then. I'm sure we both remember, though, that we were sitting around for a while waiting for the last couple of matches.

The fact is, Swiss works well in other tournament settings, but they also force people to find each other and get their games over with quickly. All we need is something like that, and Swiss would work.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
well for whatever reason or another, most rounds would be done, and then there was a holdup round of people not finding each other. in some instances the matches simply weren't reported lol.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Clearly our memories are different, then. I'm sure we both remember, though, that we were sitting around for a while waiting for the last couple of matches.
yea I mean, time is weird

but I did spend a ton of time actually at the computer helping stingers make sure people got **** done

also

LOL fightsyde

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
We were at the player to setup ratio such that Swiss should have taken the same amount of time, or possibly less, than Pools would have. The reason it didn't is because people weren't getting their matches done.

EDIT: I'd just like to say that while I'm defending the Swiss tournament structure, I'm not proposing it for the next tournament. I think I would have played better, and probably had more fun, in pools.

$mike

Smash Ace
on the topic of people not playing their matches quickly (i.e. swiss rounds taking long), i think something that would help is assigning groups to certain tvs. this helps with the issue of players struggling to find their opponents (instead, they just report to a specific tv).

plus, people who don't play their matches in a specified time limit should be disqualified. for example, yesterday, robert pan and two people who rode with him arrived really late, holding up the first round for at least an hour. i don't know why this was allowed. i think 30 should be the highest amount of time allowed for swiss rounds. bracket matches should be underway within 10 minutes of being posted.

also, i think there should be an official rule in all tournaments in this state from now on that specifies that substituting team partners after the tournament has begun is not allowed.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Swiss is a great tournament setting, and saying that it's bad because you attended the tournament of someone whom has never held a swiss event before is like knocking a hamburger's taste because you've only had a soyburger.

This isn't the fault of the format. This was the fault of very poor resource management and not being strict towards the players. If I recall, I was the one that advised swiss in the first place because of how Orlando has done things for so long.

Those of you that mock the swiss format for use with Melee, I formally invite you to attend an Advent monthly here in Orlando. I promise that you will have a great time, and we'd love to have you guys. :)

As for shoutouts, I shall withhold them for the results thread (if there will be one).

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Pretty much agree with the various things mike said... but.... I see no one even talking about what swiss actually does. To my knowledge, it's a system in which your pools seeding changes dependent on your performance in each individual match, and it also creates better match-ups / more data mathematically, I would assume. In essence, more stuff for the PRs to go by, which the common theme is that this is a good thing. Am I right with these assumptions?

That being said, the main purpose of the PR is seeding for tournaments.....so does anyone think it's a little weird that pools/seeding positions change after the results of 1 match, in a game like melee in which wins/losses are more interchangeable than any game I've ever seen?

so yeah... I agree that swiss could be done a LOT better than what it was... doesn't mean it's the best thing though.. anyway, that's the first thing I thought of while observing swiss. It didn't bother me too much, my last post shows my main disappointment. . .

a BIG LOL @ fightsyde.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Shoutouts to Aasem and Mike being spineless ****ies over a match they probably would have won and for completely ruining my day and my mood because they don't seem to want to play Melee at a Melee tournament. It was POCKET CHANGE we were talking about.

Apologies to Cam for not really trying in our match. I just wasn't in any kind of mindset to play.

Swiss was fine.

EDIT: Extra shoutouts to Jim, Dave, Jesse, Craig, Taheem, Tac, Karn, Tiger, Dylan and several others. Thanks for being legit.

EDIT: And everyone should stop listing/mentioning/referring to me as Darksyde, it is not my tag.

J-Flo

Smash Cadet
Fail at me coming mad late to this. I won't even bother posting shoutouts in the results thread since I didn't make it on time to participate.

I appreciated the matches BlackChris, $mike, PP, Twitch, Big KRIT, Cam (well...Friday anyway...), and the UNC crew. NC smash is too good. I look forward to playing you all in the future.

Shoutouts to Darksyde, Karn, and Lucas. Glad to see you guys again.

My smash itch has been scratched. <3 NC smash

$mike

Smash Ace
Shoutouts to Aasem and Mike being spineless ****ies over a match they probably would have won and for completely ruining my day and my mood because they don't seem to want to play Melee at a Melee tournament. It was POCKET CHANGE we were talking about.
what's up with all the name-calling?

it wasn't a matter of money, for me and dop, at least

we didn't ruin your day

not trying to get into an argument about this elementary bull****, but i should just clarify those things.

Mahone

Smash Champion
what happened?

anyways, sorry i told some people i was probably going and then didn't show up... sorta a **** move

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
This is the greatest **** I have ever taken ever.

:phone:

loooooooooooool.... sorry i didn't text u last night for some 3rd.. your boy was exhausted. imma call u tonight though if you're not busy.

@Swiss format: good **** man, i enjoyed it

@Josh-being-salty-to-the-point-of-childish-physical-attacks-because-mike-and-dop-wouldn't-let-him-cheat: lmfao...wow. just wow.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
what's up with all the name-calling?

it wasn't a matter of money, for me and dop, at least

we didn't ruin your day

not trying to get into an argument about this elementary bull****, but i should just clarify those things.
You deserve it.

It was about the money or else you would have played us. If it was just about Melee and there was nothing more at stake than Melee, there would have been no debate.

You completely ruined my day, don't pretend like you didn't. It wasn't elementary **** at all to me, you literally robbed me out of my chance to play in Grand Finals after I worked my *** off in tournament.

Cam: Oh somehow I'm the cheater when Jim and Stingers and Matt and David played several teams matches on a TV with friendly fire turned off? lmao

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Hey Lucas, go fail out of college and be unemployed mooching off your rich family while overdrafting your bank account 3 times trying to impress a 16 year who ends up dating Dylan instead. Whose money are you buying drugs with again by the way? Your parents? You're buying weed with your parents money. Good ****, clearly I'm the delusional one.

Also, no one is talking to your scrubby *** who has been playing for 5 years and still can't get a win over people who barely understand the game. Why don't you go **** ride somebody else and leave me alone?

And where am I johning? I lost no GAMES in teams to anyone who wasn't Kevin and Twitch and was arbitrarily DQ'd when my partner left for work.

I lost one set in singles and I barely played it. I forfeited to Aasem because I couldn't even stand to look at him.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Hey Lucas, go fail out of college and be unemployed mooching off your rich family while overdrafting your bank account 3 times trying to impress a 16 year who ends up dating Dylan instead. Whose money are you buying drugs with again by the way? Your parents? You're buying weed with your parents money. Good ****, clearly I'm the delusional one.

Also, no one is talking to your scrubby *** who has been playing for 5 years and still can't get a win over people who barely understand the game. Why don't you go **** ride somebody else and leave me alone?

And where am I johning? I lost no GAMES in teams to anyone who wasn't Kevin and Twitch and was arbitrarily DQ'd when my partner left for work.

I lost one set in singles and I barely played it. I forfeited to Aasem because I couldn't even stand to look at him.
*sigh*

Josh

you're going to want to be really careful around everyone from now on

I mean REAL careful

yes this is a threat

yes you should take it seriously

because you have no idea what you're talking about

and I don't **** around when people bring up real life ****

so seriously for you're own good, and you're own safety

because I will **** you up

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
You deserve it.

It was about the money or else you would have played us. If it was just about Melee and there was nothing more at stake than Melee, there would have been no debate.

You completely ruined my day, don't pretend like you didn't. It wasn't elementary **** at all to me, you literally robbed me out of my chance to play in Grand Finals after I worked my *** off in tournament.

Cam: Oh somehow I'm the cheater when Jim and Stingers and Matt and David played several teams matches on a TV with friendly fire turned off? lmao

IT'S ****ING ILLEGAL TO SWITCH TEAMMATES MID-TOURNAMENT. WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU?? A NON-EGOMANIAC WOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE "IGHT... WELL THAT ALMOST WORKED HAHA." AND CARRIED ON THROUGHOUT THEIR DAY. YOU ACTUALLY MADE THIS **** PHYSICAL LIKE AN OBNOXIOUS CHILD. THE ONE THING THAT SEPARATED YOU AND BILL IN P**** B****NESS AND YOU BLEW IT. WHAT THE **** DUDE.

& wait....matt and david????????? that's your brilliant plan??? divert our gaze to two jovial eccentrics who beat a few scrubs on a random tv with team attack off and ended up getting no $ in the long run?? i swear you're a 5 year old girl.

also lmfaooooooo @ BEHR after the incident: "AAaaandddd Darksyde is baaaackkkkk!!"

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Lol at Lucas threatening me after interjecting into a conversation he wasn't involved in. You've been throwing real life **** at me for months now. I'm sorry that you can't handle it being fired back at you.

Cam: If it wasn't going to be allowed, I should have been told UP FRONT by Alex that it wasn't allowed. I would have happily ducked out and said nothing else about it. The fact that I had already won several matches with Yay and then was forced to DQ is what made me upset. What harm would it have done for Mike and Aasem to play me after I'd had to work my way up to them?

And I was saying that Malk/David and separately Jim and Stingers played on a TV that had friendly fire turned off. That's much more clearly cheating.

And I never hit anybody. Aasem punched me in the back while I wasn't looking, but I guess that's justified in your eyes too? Good ****.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i know friendly fire was on when we played mike and dop in lfs since I remember saving jim with a dtilt once...

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I could always just tell Kyle's dad you go to work high

edit: I've never brought up any real life **** with you Josh

you're life is pretty good lol you have a good job and a house and you made it out of college OMG SO MUCH I CAN CALL YOU OUT ON

wtf

you're seriously a child

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Josh, you ripped his glasses off from what I hear. If you were to have touched MY face, or me in ANY way over whether or not your teammate bailing on you disqualifies from two v. two... then I would have choke slammed your stupid *** into 3 marvel geeks on a couch. When I heard about this ****, It added to how I was already disappointed. I don't even want to be around people like that because I just want to kick their *** the whole time, and I'm a nice enough guy to avoid **** like that. I like stingers too much to do that. Out of sympathy for your pitiful ***, I would try my best to never do that. Cam is so right with the non-egomaniac ****, need to get over it.

Lucas......it ain't worth it.

everyone else.... Y'all ******s better play me the next tournament I go to. If I have to start talking **** that I **** y'all *****es so you'll want to shut my *** up, then I will..... you have been warned.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
How are you going to call me a child in a post where you just threatened to try to get me fired from my job?

My life is good because I put in a lot of effort to make it good. You seem to like to talk **** about anything about me you can get your hands on. I'm not even addressing you in this thread and you are still attacking me.

EDIT: Alex, friendly fire was on because I turned it on on that TV by that point when me and Yay played you guys before that....unless you guys completely switched TVs. I didn't watch LF's.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
the job thing was the only real life thing I could think of being that you called me out on mine... and like I said iunno what to say about yours... and never have... trust me I've thought about it... and can't figure out how... and can't figure out how you think I have... when even you've made it obvious I can't... and you've called me out on mine multiple times now... and you did almost get into a fight with dop over something no one else would have even argued... but I mean... I'm obviously the 'child' here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom