• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS Matchup Spread

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
ZSS is better on smaller stages like FoD, GHZ, WL for this MU. Out of those 3, one should probably be your CP.

Thing about space for paralyzer, is that paralyzer shot is a fairly weak move vs Falcon all things considered. He can outrun it dashing away, Nair through, Knee through (generally you only land weak knee in those cases, but it's sometimes smoother than Nair's hitbox gap), jump over with momentum, etc. If you are forced to react defensively to the shot, giving up room or accepting pressure as ZSS approaches (when you have a larger stage) is less lethal because you have so much room to negotiate things. Even a simple roll back (not even a great option) works better when you have most of FD's space to work with. Or jump away to a platform behind you. Etc

Going to a smaller stage makes it harder to beat ZSS approaches like Nair by abusing DD. Sometimes you run out of space and have to do an awkward shield or roll, or try to wavedash to the edge for relief, it's not bueno. Smaller stage also makes it easier for ZSS to corner you after Dthrow or flooring, get a Dsmash near the ledge and maximize the value, or in general abuse limited space on tech situations to GG a ton of options. She can already kinda do this on any stage with good enough reaction times and skill, but it's way worse on smaller stages cause there's not often extra room to help with mitigation for Falcon.

Say on FD, I DI away on Dthrow and don't tech (Uthrow has its own benefit and usage, but it's a bit weird). With extra room, I can sometimes sit there while holding down, looking to ASDI down some punishes and either tech them, or force a more favorable situation (get floored again, but ZSS position or my own position has changed to throw them off etc). With less room on a smaller stage, that strategy might be almost meaningless anywhere that isn't center stage because of the decreased length. Floored / tech situations become simplified in her favor the less room you have, and that can be pretty negative when it's bound to happen. Falcon can simplify his own techchase situations, often regardless of stage size because of his blatant speed, so having less space for her after your own Dthrow tech chase doesn't really benefit you to a similar degree. No need to cramp people when you can cover their tech rolls even on Hyrule Temple lol

Idk her good stages aside from that trio. I firmly think one of those 3 will give you the best chances. I've tried playing Shokio on smaller stages like GHZ, on purpose, to see the contrast between other stages and it's quite stark IMO. Like multiple times, it's been clear now that she outperforms on smaller, kinda cramped arenas for this MU. He almost always wins by a solid margin on those, particularly GHZ. A couple games go to last stock on GHZ or WL, but I think he's had more 2-3 stocks on GHZ and I can't remember winning on those stages in recent times aside from maybe 1 time on WL further back months ago.

Not sure how favorable Dreamland would turn out, gut says it's not great for her but still an improvement over FD and possibly PS2. PS2 and SV are the only 2 stages I have trouble identfying if they are good or bad for her, we often don't meet there since other stages stick out during the CP process whenever Shokio and I play. I have a local buddy (Blast is his tag, he's gotten on stream and recorded at IaB and Bowser Revenges before) who's getting pretty solid with ZSS and I play him a lot on PS2, but I'm not sure what to think since I know his playstyle and habits extensively. My success there could be because it's similarly good like FD, could be cause I know his habits, or he could be playing wrong on the stage and give a misleading impression either way. I'm not sure any stage is as bad as FD for her in this MU, I would definitely start auto-banning that choice unless the Falcon in question isn't confident there or doesn't maximize it as well as an alternative stage he prefers

Last edited:

Mechaglacier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
purespade
I was hoping to get somewhere with the zss mew2 MU. So far it's somewhat difficult to edgeguard her especially on delfino and green hill. So far both on the ground and in the air she just outright beats me with her mobility. I feel like leffen everytime he has to play a samus. If you can provide any advice I would appreciate it.

Top Bottom