• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZeRo's Lucina

RaagsToRiches

Smash Rookie
What do you guys on the Lucina thread think about ZeRo's Lucina and the matchups he is using her to counter?

DMan64

Smash Cadet
I think ZeRo's Lucina is quite impressive, and it's cool to see more of a really under rated character. In terms of his usage of her, it makes sense to use her against Mario, given that ZeRo dislikes that match-up with Diddy, Ally being the prominent example as to why. I also think he has provided a good example as to how Marth and Lucina are different in small ways, and why there is merit to using Lucina more than Marth in some instances. I'd like to note how he's a bit more aggressive than you'd expect from a character like this, yet still spaces properly to avoid getting punished, unlike Marth, who, in general, works best defensively in approach, only to go offensive when you get a hit. He also edge-guards quite well with her, and really highlights a strength that in my opinion Lucina, in general, does slightly better at than Marth.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Real happy with how he's taken an approach to using her. I hope that whatever it is that he intends to use her for, he keeps it up for the long run.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Hmm...I am pretty impressed with his usage of her in the recent set against Ally's :4mario:. This is what gives me more inspiration to main :4lucina: myself. With that performance, it won't be long before she's top-tier.

DMan64

Smash Cadet
MERPIS MERPIS , I think part of it is that, if you watched his most recent Lucina video, it may be because he feels more comfortable with Lucina's consistency. Even though he states his highs with Marth are really good, it's not that common for him, something along those lines.

LEGOF

Smash Rookie
NNID
keimakona
3DS FC
2036-6575-6309
Not gonna lie, Zero's Lucina got me inspired to try using Lucina more seriously. I found that Lucina really matches the style of play I have in Smash 4. My only concern is I main Marth in Melee, so there will be plenty of habits that will cross games.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Why isn't he just using Marth instead?
Because that's not really how choices work.

Anyway: ZeRo's Lucina is almost as good as it can be. The problem is that he doesn't really go for any kill setups (he just tries getting raw kills every time) and it's almost like he doesn't know that she has more kill moves than just Bair and FSmash.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Because that's not really how choices work.

Anyway: ZeRo's Lucina is almost as good as it can be. The problem is that he doesn't really go for any kill setups (he just tries getting raw kills every time) and it's almost like he doesn't know that she has more kill moves than just Bair and FSmash.
Pretty sure he knows, it's just that those seem to be the ones he's most comfortable with. For example myself, I'd rather bait out an ftilt at 65-80 at the ledge than use an fsmash because I don't want to risk if I got the kill or not.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Pretty sure he knows, it's just that those seem to be the ones he's most comfortable with. For example myself, I'd rather bait out an ftilt at 65-80 at the ledge than use an fsmash because I don't want to risk if I got the kill or not.
Still, he really needs to use Nair, Up Air (outside of doubles), Dancing Blade and (Jab>) Up Tilt to kill more. He would be far more dynamic and dangerous implementing those.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Still, he really needs to use Nair, Up Air (outside of doubles), Dancing Blade and (Jab>) Up Tilt to kill more. He would be far more dynamic and dangerous implementing those.
I use nair in the same way as :4feroy:'s and it turns out great, aerial side b, nair 1, fsmash is a good combo.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
What about Shield Breaker? Aside from doing the obvious, that can sometimes come in handy as a kill move, can it not? There has been many a time an unfortunate soul had his/her shield shattered and sent flying across the horizon from a fully-charged shield breaker, correct?

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
What about Shield Breaker? Aside from doing the obvious, that can sometimes come in handy as a kill move, can it not? There has been many a time an unfortunate soul had his/her shield shattered and sent flying across the horizon from a fully-charged shield breaker, correct?
Yes. Although b-reversing and perfect pivoting are the ways you try to implement this unless the opponent overuses their shield. And another thing, a lot of people seem to think that :4marth:'s sweetspotted SB(Shield Breaker) does more shield damage than Lucy's, false, it only has 1% more damage and more knockback that allows it to k.o 26% earlier if fully charged but 23% later if sourspotted.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Shield Breaker is a Frame 19 move. It's not practical to use much.
Uncharged Shield Breaker can kill deceptively early at the ledge (sometimes as early as 100-120%) and the startup is so slow it can actually go around a lot of airdodges and spotdodges. The range in it is insane and people always grotesquely understimate it, so depending on the matchup/person you can actually even use it as an aerial poke.
I like combining Shield Breaker with wavebounce to do neat stuff like this:

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Right...I've been thinking about what other kill moves she's got besides side smash or back air. I shan't say much about d-air since that move is ****, but I've been thinking about hit 4 of Dancing Blade (though I do have my reserves on the down-angled variant) and even Dolphin Slash. I mean, they have the base knockback and recoil scaling to make them possible killers, do they not?

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
L Lola Luftnagle
FSmash, Up Smash, Back Air, Up Air, Neutral Air, Forward Air (sometimes), Up Tilt, Dolphin Slash, Dancing Blade and Shield Breaker all are kill moves for her.

FSmash is the classic and obvious one.
Up Smash is a straight upgrade over Marth's 99 times out of 100. In fact, borderline everytime you see Marth using this move after 100% but not killing, Lucina's likely would've killed.
Back Air is pretty silly considering how fast and safe it can potentially be. It destroys lightweights and it's extremely good for edgeguarding.
Up Air does literally everything. If you ask nicely it'll even brew some coffee for you. It's her best, most versatile combo starter, is extremely strong, fast and has a lot of range.
Forward Air mostly kills near the ledge and with rage. But having a poke that can kill is nothing to sneeze at.
Up Tilt is criminally underrated as a kill move. Imagine Up Throw that kills about 20% earlier at any given moment, is fast, has massive range, works as an anti air and has two moves (Nair1, Jab) that can lead into it.
Dolphin Slash is decently strong for how fast it is. Jab and Nair 1 into Dolphin Slash are true and you can get sub 100% kills without rage with this inescapable confirm.
Dancing Blade is way better for killing than people give it credit for. I killed Mario at 91% with DB Forward once. DB Up also kills but it's more niche. That one's mostly for heavies and/or fastfallers. But it works like wonders on those. No, DB Down doesn't kill, because that's not its purpose.
Shield Breaker is laggy but uncharged Shield Breaker kills between 100-130% in the ledge, which I guess it's alright. Fully charged, you can KO people between 30-45 rageless. Rage will definitely help but you're going to cut off some 10% off these figures at best.

Compared to Marth, all she loses is FTilt, really, but she makes up with other stuff.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If it's not an easy mode guaranteed confirm or an easy 50/50 mix up that leaves him a strong position, ZeRo will ignore it.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Pretty annoying. He's the one that went mad over Jab>Dolphin Slash yet he doesn't go for that ever. Nor Jab>DB, or Jab>Up Tilt.

Top Bottom