• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZeRo's Guide To Shield Dropping

Popi

Former EIC
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
PowpiPenguin

In the latest installment of his video tutorial series, ZeRo covers the intricacies of Shield Dropping. For those of you who don't know him (most of you do though), Gonzalo "ZeRo" Barrios is one of the top Smash 4 players in the world and a MIOM Top 100 Melee player. Some of his famous achievements include winning the Super Smash Bros. Invitational and Apex 2015.

Shield Dropping is the act of dropping down a platform while shielding. One of the many purposes of this is to eliminate the lag after shielding in order to act and follow up faster. Due to Melee having one of the weaker shields of the series, this technique is widely used by top players as a means to optimize their play and is a near essential technique.

Later titles like Brawl and Smash 4 greatly increased the strength of shielding, making it a much more viable option. Even with the buffing of shields, it's still great to learn this technique as it can help you improve your overall game.

The video itself, which ZeRo released a few days back, covers all you need to know about Shield Dropping, from the basic definition of it to the intricacies and shortcuts. It's a recommended watch to both veterans and newbies wishing to brush up.

I hope this video was useful to you. Good luck smashing out there!

For more educational content from the man himself you can follow ZeRo over at Twitter or Youtube. Want to let me know what you think of my article? Talk to me on my Twitter. I'd love to hear your suggestions! (Thanks for reading my first article on here!)

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Super excited to have a new writer here! Can't wait to see more from you @ Popi Popi !

Also, I really need to learn how to do this properly, I always seem to mess it up. That gif is gonna be super helpful.

Staticky

Smash Cadet
Zero be like "Lemme show off one of these controllers I won" :p

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
For a 1st article, it's really well done...
Props to you @ Popi Popi , this thing will be useful for sure.
Edit : Why the ZeRo hate ? He did the right thing in bringing this tech into Sm4sh. Melee & Brawl players must have known about this for ages, but us Sm4sh newcomers didn't hear much about that. And he has the right to show off his Custom controller :p

Last edited:

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
This sounds useful, but isn't it slower than normal platform drop? Since you have to press down slowly to avoid spot-dodging?

god i hate zero
Why? Hes making content that helps newcomers out, you don't see any of the melee top 5 do that!
Sure hes arrogant, but hes been winning all his tourneys, he has the right to be.

Last edited:

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
Hmm, intresting. Wished he explained it further on using it with grabbing. And is it a good idea to do it?

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
so many smash 4 players don't give the respect ZeRo deserves. hes the best Smash 4 player by far and i also think he's the only top player that makes guides. I wish he would win Evo already and drop smash 4 for melee for some real competition

Last edited:

2Fat4U

Smash Rookie
No way I literally just watched this guide a few hours ago and now it's featured on the boards. Good job zero this guide is very helpful.

D

Deleted member

so many smash 4 players don't give the respect ZeRo deserves. hes the best Smash 4 player by far and i also think he's the only top player that makes guides. I wish he would win Evo already and drop smash 4 for melee for some real competition
He's one of few, ESAM has started making pikachu guides the last few weeks, and False is involved with the Smash Theory series. But as far as top players making videos and guides, the cupboard's pretty bare.

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
To add to this, Yoshi is the only character in Smash 4 that can't shield drop. (Even in a game where he can jump out of shield finally, he's still limited >_> )

Popi

Former EIC
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
PowpiPenguin
For a 1st article, it's really well done...
Props to you @ Popi Popi , this thing will be useful for sure.
Edit : Why the ZeRo hate ? He did the right thing in bringing this tech into Sm4sh. Melee & Brawl players must have known about this for ages, but us Sm4sh newcomers didn't hear much about that. And he has the right to show off his Custom controller :p
Well first article on SmashBoards anyway :p Thanks so much!

Had some writing experience in my school (got rejected for the school newspaper :( ) and am writing an ongoing series on MIOM "The History Of Philippine Smash" .

iDreamTheater

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iDreamTheater
3DS FC
5472-7184-0561
This seems loosely related to the melee platform mechanics video. I wonder how smUsh's ECBs act compared to melee's

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
Good article for a new writer, @ Popi Popi
As for the actual video, I watched it awhile ago. It's good stuff for anyone wanting to get better grasp at the new Smash tech.

Last edited:

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
The competition is going to be that great in the beginning of a game's life cycle but it is starting to turn around. In the US we got Nairo, ESAM, Dabuz, ZeRo, and Mew2King. International threats which hopefully come to EVO 2015 include Mr. R, Rain, Ally, Rainai, and Villyness. Plenty of salt thrown around lately some matches and lots of new techniques popping up will bring the hype. Why would EVO drop Smash 4 for Melee when they can have both present and a Nintendo sponsorship?

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
>real competition.
implying ZeRo is the only good smash 4 player? This game isn't even that old, you can't jump to such a misinformed conclusion.

People are just too obsessed over melee, seriously.

@ 9 90007000 he said that in the article.

Last edited:

iDreamTheater

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iDreamTheater
3DS FC
5472-7184-0561
>real competition.
implying ZeRo is the only good smash 4 player? This game isn't even that old, you can't jump to such a misinformed conclusion.

People are just too obsessed over melee, seriously.

@ 9 90007000 he said that in the article.
I think he's implying that in general Melee players are more skilled than SmUsh players

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
To add to this, Yoshi is the only character in Smash 4 that can't shield drop. (Even in a game where he can jump out of shield finally, he's still limited >_> )
To make up for it, he can throw out 64 moves per second.

Li'l Devi'

Smash Cadet
NNID
TFSRunner
Why do people feel the need to point out how old/ how "late" someone is to report on something? I haven't seem this video till now.
Anyway, I was messin with shield dropping in smash 4 a month or so back after realizing that it was still a thing, but didn't really try to get it down as much as I have in Melee, shield is just too safe an option IMO. It's a bit easier then it's past iterations (again, imo) so it's defiantly something that people who want to step up their game should try and pick up. And personally, just exicuting a shiel drop feels good :]

FoolishPaul

Smash Rookie
NNID
FoolishPaul
To make up for it, he can throw out 64 moves per second.
Yoshi players= range range, hits you with an attack that does way too much damage, you shield the next attack, he down B and breaks not only your shield but crushes your dreams and disappoints your family.

GeZ

Smash Lord
He gets bopped in Melee. QERB beat him in tourney. Not saying QERB isn't sick, but GnW is still a limited character.

I don't hate ZeRo, but I think he's overhyped. He's the best in Sm4sh, but he's poor at Melee, alright at P:M, and he doesn't bring much new to the table stylistically, or character wise. He's just a dude who plays to win, and is the best at Sm4sh. Props to him, but switching to Melee wouldn't see him dominating the scene or anything.

Evilzpet

Smash Rookie
He gets bopped in Melee. QERB beat him in tourney. Not saying QERB isn't sick, but GnW is still a limited character.

I don't hate ZeRo, but I think he's overhyped. He's the best in Sm4sh, but he's poor at Melee, alright at P:M, and he doesn't bring much new to the table stylistically, or character wise. He's just a dude who plays to win, and is the best at Sm4sh. Props to him, but switching to Melee wouldn't see him dominating the scene or anything.
You're vastly understating his talent. PM and Sm4sh were the only games to come out while he was a competitive player and he achieved #1 status in both. He only started playing Melee seriously last year and managed to develop one of the most technical foxes out there. He's beaten Dark, SFAT, aMSa, and other extremely good players in tournament. He's only 20. He didn't achieve greatness in his early tournament years because he would have only been around 12 years old. If he put a few serious years into Melee he would be amazing.

hype machine

Smash Journeyman

Alright in pm? He's ranked #2 in PM and that's only because he hasn't touched it since smash 4 came out.

Does poor in melee? He's ranked top 100 after only playing melee competitively for one year. That's amazing poetential, he could easily become top 6 if he puts enough time into melee.

Zero has also never placed below first place at any smash 4 tournoment he's went to. He's also one of the only top players that have an aggressive playstyle when the game rewards defensive play. He's pretty much the best smash player of all time since he can switch between games and still be the best

Last edited:

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
This is what makes me sad. This is a tech guide, and everyone takes it as an opportunity to argue over Zero's validity/legitimacy. Smash Bros would be perfect if it weren't for all the players.

Last edited:

Luno896

Smash Rookie
This is what makes me sad. This is a tech guide, and everyone takes it as an opportunity to argue over Zero's validity/legitimacy. Smash Bros would be perfect if it weren't for all the players.
i mean the players make the game what it is, people just like to talk **** (especially about people they're jealous of). Zero has yet to be defeated in a high-stakes tournament since achieving smash 4 godhood, and despite whatever people say, tournament results speak more than opinion.

Captain Pancake

Smash Rookie
NNID
XcaptainpancakeX
3DS FC
4914-5697-6547
Nakat has made a few character guides.

GeZ

Smash Lord
He's beaten Dark, SFAT, aMSa, and other extremely good players in tournament. He's only 20. He didn't achieve greatness in his early tournament years because he would have only been around 12 years old. If he put a few serious years into Melee he would be amazing.
Dark is aight, SFAT has just recently become a very notable Fox, and aMSa's dank, but he definitely drops games. I could be wrong about him in regards to Melee. I wouldn't mind seeing him rise up in that game.

Alright in pm? He's ranked #2 in PM and that's only because he hasn't touched it since smash 4 came out.

Does poor in melee? He's ranked top 100 after only playing melee competitively for one year. That's amazing poetential, he could easily become top 6 if he puts enough time into melee.

Zero has also never placed below first place at any smash 4 tournoment he's went to. He's also one of the only top players that have an aggressive playstyle when the game rewards defensive play. He's pretty much the best smash player of all time since he can switch between games and still be the best
I'd be curious as to where you found global PR for P:M. The meta has also definitely developed and strengthened since then. I think saying he could easily be top 6 in Melee is pretty presumptuous though. Top 6 in anything is a struggle. Also, saying he's the best smasher of all time is blatant pole polishing. Mang0 has been crowned the GOAT for a long time, anyway.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
This sounds useful, but isn't it slower than normal platform drop? Since you have to press down slowly to avoid spot-dodging?
You're thinking about it wrong. You're right, a normal one is of course faster and less complicated, but this tech is for when your opponent forces you into shield on a platform and you can drop through it and punish it to escape their pressure with more precision.

BnW Lock

Smash Cadet
lolwut they had to make a guide on this? oh well i guess not everyone is good enough to figure out this on their own like me haha

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
Why? Hes making content that helps newcomers out, you don't see any of the melee top 5 do that!
Sure hes arrogant, but hes been winning all his tourneys, he has the right to be.
Yeah, he wins so many of them, but I don't think he should be arrogant regardless. I don't hate ZeRo at all, in fact, I am a huge fan of him and his content on youtube, but when he's like that, it's rather annoying. :/
Whenever anyone is arrogant, it's annoying.

Back to the article, this was well done. I haven't seen this user do an article before. If it was one of your first times, nice job!

Kwinston

Smash Cadet
NNID
KWINSTON
I have been mostly practicing on final destination stages, so I should start practicing on other legal stage like battlefield. This tip should be helpful to me there.

luke_ario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lukeario13
so what if im absolute garbage in 1v1 online play and cant perform these techs fast enough?

Top Bottom