• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZeRo's Daily Smash Trick/Tip 3# - Ice Climbers "Guaranteed" Grab setups in BF

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
(Reposting here in the IC's boards because it MIGHT help someone. I known it's not a new tech/trick, but the purpose of this is to show it to persons who didn't know about it).

The other day I saw 9B doing some extremely cool setups in Battlefield that lead to guaranteed (you can't evade the grab, unless you SDI perfectly, which is pretty much not humanly-possible) grabs.

Here's a video I made to demonstrate the setups I am talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSjv2pXLQ7w

================================
The setup on the platforms in the right/left side
================================

Simply do a Short Hop N-Air, at the peak of your Jump, do a Neutral Air, fast-fall towards where your opponent is going to fall, and do a Dash Grab (easier) or a standing Grab (Harder. You need to time it really well).

I suggest doing a Down Throw chaingrab until 40/50% so your opponent can't mash-out of the grab. Also, it's a must to do a D-Throw Chaingrab after a Dash Grab to ensure that your opponent won't be able to mash out of your grab grab (because you need to wait a couple of frames for Nana to recover to a neutral position to do the normal chaingrabs -B/Throw, walking F/Throw, etc- , this small window of frames allows your opponent a chance to Mash out of the grab, and it's very easy to mash out of a grab at early %'s of damage).

Importante note: You can DI after the first 8 frames of Edge Slip. Which means that you can "evade" this set by DI'ing off the stage when you get hit towards the edge of the stage.

(However, please take in note that the Ice Climbers can still grab you while you're moving away from the platform)

================
The top platform setup
================

This one is quite hard/tricky.

First of all, you need your opponent to be a BIT close to the edge of any side of the platform. Then you need to do a "mashed" double jump (You jump, and then use your double jump immediatly after jumping) Neutral Air, this will make your opponent "fall" off of the platform in an animation he can't tech, nor DI, then you need to N-Air your opponent again, while moving and landing towards the platform, this will make him move to the edge of a platform, in an animation that he can ONLY stand up, which means, guaranteed grab.

Note: Depending of how you jump, you might land on the platform, like I did. However, it is not necessary to land on the top platform to perform the trick. I have done it with and without landing of the platform. Also, depending of when you press A, both Ice Climbers, or only Nana could do the N-Air. When both Ice Climbers N-Air, the opponent needs to be at 0%, otherwise it will go off the platform and you won't be able to grab him in time. Or you can N-Air him with the weak hit of N-Air, but you need to do the second N-Air as soon as possible (so you hit your opponent with the weak part after he falls of off the top platform) and in a special timing (I got it only a couple of times, so I can't explain it too well, sorry =( ).

=====================================================================================================
Importante note: You can DI after the first 8 frames of Edge Slip, so you can evade this set up by DI'ing to the center of the stage.
=====================================================================================================

For those of you interested about this "animation" please check out VideoGameBootCamp's video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFtJDxsqMs&list=PLF52238E65D6ED18D&index= 3&feature=plpp_video

==============================================

IMPORTANT NOTE: The 1st setup works up to 0-10% at MOST. Maybe (Haven't tested) more with heavier characters.

This only works against characters who "Edge Slip" (See Videogamebootcamps video above) without being able to do anything about it.

SUPER IMPORTANT NOTE:

This can work in any platform, it's just that in BF is easier because the stage doesn't move/platform doesn't move/perfect ground space, etc.

The Neutral Air pushes MK off the platform and makes him "Edge Slip" EVEN WHEN HE'S SHIELDING. Also, poweshielding doesn't work. Ice Climbers N-Air consists of 4 HITS, one hit and you're going to be forced to "Edge Slip" off of the platform, and fall into this setup.

===============================================

Important note to take in consideration:

I think (haven't tested) that Meta Knight can Powershield the first hit and do a Grounded Shuttle Loop Out-of-Shield to evade the "edge slip" animation and also put the Ice Climbers in a bad position (the "Land in Battlefield vs MK game").

Credits to Kssizzle for this idea.

------------

Enjoy Ice Climbers mains!

If you want to get more Smash updates, tricks, tips, guides, tournament streams, or almost anything that is competitive Smash (Mostly Brawl, but also Melee from time to time!) follow me on Twitter and/or like my page on Facebook!

[URL="http://www.inspiralic.com/uploads/image/twitter_icon.png"][/URL][URL="http://www.nicolevalentin.com/images/facebook-icon3.png"][/URL]

ZeRo out!

P.S. I know that Vinnie does this setups too, but I saw 9B executing these setups before him (But I don't know who came up with the idea first).

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
We know about edge slip mechanics and how nair can indeed force edge slips consistently.

The one you performed in the video is extremely situation-based though. It requires that the opponent does not shield, is only at around 0-30%-ish, and that you KNOW its going to work (unless you can hitlag desynch on reaction. I wouldn't know since I'm not a reaction master.)

It is good knowledge coming through here though, too bad not many pay that much attention to our metagame. v_v

TSM ZeRo

We know about edge slip mechanics and how nair can indeed force edge slips consistently.

The one you performed in the video is extremely situation-based though. It requires that the opponent does not shield, is only at around 0-30%-ish, and that you KNOW its going to work (unless you can hitlag desynch on reaction. I wouldn't know since I'm not a reaction master.)

It is good knowledge coming through here though, too bad not many pay that much attention to our metagame. v_v
Oh, I know. I just tought that posting this for newcomers, or people who didn't know about it would be helpful for the IC's boards, that's all, haha.

Shielding or not, IC's N-Air makes you edge slip if you're close enough to the edges of the platform.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Zero, the more common way is to use an IB reset rather than a Nair reset >_>

At least on BF platforms.

TSM ZeRo

Zero, the more common way is to use an IB reset rather than a Nair reset >_>

At least on BF platforms.
I tried to do that (IB after N-Air) on the top-middle platform, but couldn't get it to work. Is there a trick to it, or something that I don't know?

Yeah, I know that on the other platforms you can IB reset your opponent, but you can also grab him before he touches the ground, like I did in my video.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Typically you wouldn't IB from the middle platform because you're be in the air and the IB bounce would make securing a regrab during the forced getup much more difficult.

TSM ZeRo

Typically you wouldn't IB from the middle platform because you're be in the air and the IB bounce would make securing a regrab during the forced getup much more difficult.
But that's what I figured out by myself when I tried it Delux!

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
But that's what I figured out by myself when I tried it Delux!
The point being that if they are on the middle platform, you really shouldn't be that high in the air in the first place imo, especially vs Metaknight. :V

Its rare to see a character on that platform for an extended period of time, let alone get any kind of mix-up on them.

TSM ZeRo

The point being that if they are on the middle platform, you really shouldn't be that high in the air in the first place imo, especially vs Metaknight. :V

Its rare to see a character on that platform for an extended period of time, let alone get any kind of mix-up on them.
Yeah, I agree. But I am not discussing or arguing about the trick's usefulness/reliability. I am talking about the trick itself, how it's done, it's properties, etc.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
Any situation in which you can get a guaranteed grab is worth memorizing.

Which character/s does this work on, and at what percents?

:phone:

Top Bottom