• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZeRo's 2nd Pro Player Spotlight: Will " Double MK is an overrated team"

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Hello everyone! Welcome to ZeRo's 2nd pro player spotlight. I am here with Will from Long Island, the best Donkey Kong player in the USA.

(Will on the right, going toe to toe with Tearbear from SoCal at MLG Columbus, Ohio 2010).​

ZeRo: Will, my friend, how are you doing today?

Will: I'm doing great actually. Just got back from a tournament yesterday, and today was the recovery period haha.

ZeRo: Awesome! You're a very active player in the scene. How did you do yesterday?

Will: Hmm well I was pretty happy with my performance, though I always feel I could have done better. I won't be satisfied until I'm winning tournaments with DK here in NY/NJ. I placed 5th in singles, and ended up placing 1st in the mid tier tournament that followed.

ZeRo: Being hungry for more! I love that fighting spirit of yours. Were there doubles?

Will: Oh yeah! I was unable to decide who to team with since I like to jump around and always team with new people. But since it was Kirinblaze's birthday this past Friday, I decided to give it a whirl for old time's sake. Shoutouts to Kirin btw, he 2-0ed Chibo's Wario with Link in singles.

ZeRo: It's always a great thing to keep things fresh with teammates. You get to really know people when you compete with them. It's like the saying "If you want to really know a man's true nature, compete with him". What did you guys place in the end?

Will: I agree! I love teaming with new players because in addition to that chance for perfect, effortless chemistry that we all hope for-- there is an added benefit. You gain that player's knowledge and experience of doubles, given you properly communicate throughout your preparation for the event. Which could also help if you are ever pitted against them in the future. Placed 5th in doubles as well.

ZeRo: Very good showing my good friend Will. Congrats for that. Doubles is all about chemistry, communication, and of course teamwork. What do you think about having a static teammate for the circuit of tournaments? You know, someome who is your dedicated teammate for important tournaments.

Will: Kirin used to be my static partner for doubles over the course of about 2 years, and we had met good success. During the peak of our doubles career, we even managed to take out Fatal and ADHD in winners bracket at MLG-- using DK and Mario haha. I can certainly attest to developing chemistry and teamwork over time as a valid means to compete in doubles.

For now though, my partners of choice (when MK isn't available) are definitely Toon Link or Wario. Hit me up guys!

ZeRo: Excellent. Speaking about MLG, and important tournaments. Who is your teammate for Apex 2013?

Will: Good question. I haven't planned ahead that far yet. Though, I was thinking of asking King Toon since we had a really strong showing this past SKTAR. Toon Link manages to compliment DK in a scary way in doubles. The projectiles do all the work, while DK gets that one finishing blow for the KOs. That is, of course, if I cannot find a strong MK main to carry me while I stock tank for them haha.

ZeRo: Interesting. Better plan ahead before everyone is compromised! Now Will, we all know you're a very good player. But not everyone knows how you got good. Tell us, how did you got so good?

Will: Well, the first year or so of Brawl I never got around to traveling so much. Want to know the absolute best way that I got better?
I got a car. Yes. A vehicle by means of which I can travel distances. I'm looking at YOU fellow Long Island smashers xD
Once I was able to start driving out to other areas of NY, I started to become more notable due to attending smash sessions with players including NinjaLink, Wes, Dire, Bum, JTails, D1, etc. Also known as the crew that I became a part of-- Deadly Alliance.

From there, I decided to stick with DK, and take him as far as I could. Bum was obviously my first inspiration. But I wasn't satisfied with that. When he stopped playing, I kept discovering new tricks and gimmicks with DK and tried to push him as far as I could. I guess my tournament results eventually showed the effort I was putting in from all the training I was doing. NY/NJ is one of the most notable training grounds, and living here you would think one might take it for granted. But I am a brawl monster, so I love traveling and playing whenever I can anyway.

ZeRo: I see. So your skill came from the experience of travelling all across your area and practicing with all the top players you could. And also, taking in consideration what the other DK players did at the time.

Will: Definitely. And Bum and Cable were my two greatest rivals. Simply being at the same event as them heightened my competitive senses exponentially. Most notably, the three of us attended Viridian City 6, hosted by Alex Strife. That was when I first met Cable actually haha. Having a rival is probably one of the most important reasons for my improvement actually. That was also my breakthrough tournament! That makes a lot of sense now.

ZeRo: That competitive spirit of yours! Love it. How did you do at that tournament? Have you ever faced them in a tournament setting? How did it go? What were the reactions after that match if it happened?

Will: Funny you should ask, I was able to find the results thread. I seem to have a knack for placing the same exact number in both singles and doubles haha. 9th in singles, and 9th in doubles. This was back when NY/NJ tournaments were still huge, and this was a 100 person regional event (Link here).
And I have played Cable in tournament. His style was so fast and calculated, it was hard for me at first. He beat me the first few times in the DK ditto. That forced me to train up in that matchup, and our most recent set at KTAR 5 accurately demonstrates the rivalry we share. It was a very close set, but I managed to come out on top. He forced me to play more defensive and safe than I ever had before haha. And I wasn't in my prime when I played Bum, it was back in his reign. So I was never able to beat him.

We are so friendly with one another, we usually dreaded playing each other. Cable is the nicest person in the world too haha. We know that in DK dittos, it could go either way.
And being so evenly matched didn't help. I had an extremely strong showing at KTAR 5 though, so it was an exhilarating feeling to take out one of my closest rivals in losers bracket when it matters most.

ZeRo: Very good things! Always placing well, even in the old times. This rivalry is just very awesome to hear. Everyone should have a rival, right? Someone to fuel you up during competitions. Someone who lights your fire. Moving out of the game play area: What is the most craziest thing/situation that has ever happened to you during a tournament weekend?

Will: Well, most who know me could vouch for me being a very cautious kinda guy. And I usually avoid the crazy stuff by default. But if I had to pick the craziest tournament weekend... It would definitely be WHobo 3! Omg, how could I forget?! The rave!! Just imagine a group of smashers who you never met before, and you befriend them that weekend, then finish off the weekend dancing wildly to blaring techno beats and flashing lights. Shoutouts to Silly Kyle! I enjoyed myself so much more due to his very presence. He was so comfortable letting it all go on the dance floor, that I kinda went crazy. I remember being the life of the rave among the smashers-- which is not like me at ALL. Lmao.

ZeRo: Wooo! That sounds like a blast. Sometimes, I just wanna dance it up, and be wild!

Will: Yeah man, I can't wait to go back to Texas this coming weekend to see everyone again.

ZeRo: Excellent. Talking about Whobo! Will, how is your preparation for the upcoming Whobo?

Will: I am ready! I honestly feel that LIRR 2 was the perfect tournament to prep me for WHobo 4, considering there will be Mid Tier singles and doubles as well.
And considering it's MK banned, well, that will be interesting. My strongest matchup right now is MK actually.
As long as I go in mentally prepped for all the Olimar/IC's/D3 I am going to run into, then I got this.

ZeRo: Sounds like you're widly ready to take it all at the tournament! Just like how DK would be.
Would you say that MK legal tournaments are easier for you? Or harder? Considering it's your best Match up. How is your mental preparation for the IC's/D3/Olimar match ups?

Will: MK legal tournaments, statistically are way better for me. When people stick to MK, it revolves less around chaingrabbing and more about tornado, which is actually beatable haha.
Recently I faced off vs Seibrik's wario in a $1 Money Match. And this is what I told him, knowing that he could successfully perform the d-throw chain grab on DK: "I am going to pretend you are IC's with D3's grab range and Jigglypuff's aerial mobility."
And so, I did. I never left the ledge area aside from leaning off of it with my back turned, or to go to a platform. I think I am ready to play as lame as humanly possible to overcome the deficits in those matchups.

ZeRo:Interesting mentality right there. Immediatly taking your competition seriously. I like that. So you think that dealing with MK, is easier than dealing with chaingrab based chars, like IC's/D3? Or you think that just because you use DK. What is your opninion on MK's legality in Singles? What about doubles?

Will:

MK is wayyy easier than IC's and D3 haha. For sure. DK's main weakness is that he has such a large frame, and its honestly very hard to avoid getting grabbed 3 times in one match. IC's are broken! They're beatable though. I am definitely for MK being legal. If only just because I enjoy fighting the character. But also because I can't imagine him not being legal at Apex 2013. And who wants to be underprepared for the biggest tournament of the year?! In doubles however, I agree with limiting it to one MK.
4 MK's on one screen is the definition of overcentralization.
I am interested to see if Apex will stay as traditional as it has been, or switch over to the newly circulating format of banning double MK. Oh and from before, it's definitely because I'm DK.

ZeRo: Interesting opinion right here. Not everyone can say these things, especially coming from someone who uses DK at tournaments. Do you say that the only reason double MK should be banned in doubles, is because of 4 MK's in a match?

Will: DK can't really be gimped by MK. And he never dies. Chaingrabbing overcomes DK's longevity and disregards recovery options.Yeah, I have even heard from other top players that it becomes hard to focus on the match with all the slashing that occurs when 4 MK's are on screen haha. In all honesty, I am all for variation in doubles. I don't foresee it being banned at nationals too often, but it's certainly more interesting to watch other characters every once in a while.

ZeRo: So, you only mind it in the variety factor. Or any other reason?

Will: I think it's an overrated team as well. People just flock to double MK without exploring the other viable options, and possibly better team combinations. I think it'd be healthy for our metagame to prohibit it every once in a while, and I'm not the only one who thinks so I have defeated double MK teams on many occasions, don't get me wrong haha. It's just that when you see teams like Nick Riddle's ZSS and Shaky's Ness, ESAM's Pikachu and Mekos' Lucas, that you start to realize what doubles is all about.

ZeRo: Very interesting opinion! I also think it's overrated, since other team combinations have much more interesting and diverse strategies. Especially in the proyectile repertory. Just like you mentioned, team compositions, like DK and TL have a much wider strategy factor than double MK, that relies simply in overwhelming someone. Definitely those players, being meta game changers in the competitive scen of doubles.

ZeRo: What advice would you give to any up and coming DK players wanting to succeed at the tournament scene, just like how you do?
typing?

Will: As hard as it is, don't fret when it comes to the difficult matchups. I know it can be frustrating at times-- I've been there trust me. There are always resources on the boards for you to read up on matchups and even learn new tricks you might not have known about. (I am a firm believer that DK's arsenal of gimmicks is one that keeps him viable haha)

Also, before each match, go over what you best options are to maintain a good defense vs that specific character. Since DK is a very defensive character by nature, that is probably the best advice I can give.

For hands on practice, hit up the DK boards and ask around. We're all willing to wifi, and I'll even... maybe... play online every once in a while on request. I can't guarantee top level play on wifi though haha. I know Neon, Ruinn, Poke, etc are all willing and able to give tips and helpful practice though. Confidence is the most important though. And remember. Get hit? Don't care. You're DEEKAY.

ZeRo: Great advice. Any chance of you giving private lessons to your fans, and DK followers?

Will: Though in person sessions would be best, I am always willing to accommodate however I can. I love playing friendlies with new up and coming DK mains! And I can go on for hours about DK and matchup specifics, so hit me up. Honestly, I love talking about brawl.

ZeRo: Awesome. Where can your fans contact you about this?

Will: The best bet would be on Facebook. I'm always available to chat at facebook.com/wmwalsh. Feel free to also follow me on Twitter @WilliamMWalsh as well!

ZeRo: Okay Will, it was a pleasure to interview you. To wrap up this interview, any shout outs?

Will: Shoutouts to everyone who attended LIRR 2 this past weekend and to Vinnie for hosting. Best of luck at SRT Vinnie!!! Go get em!!

And also to my friend Jon who carpooled us this weekend. It was his first tournament since the original Apex back in 2008! He was even my teammate back then! Look out for him, I might train him up to be a real threat.

Also, shoutouts to my man Mr R!

I asked Will to show me a video in that he feels, highlights his skills, and this is what he had to say:

Will: Tyrant vs me.

Game 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3FXZGy0jE8

Game 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j14HuX7F2ng&feature=relmfu

"This match is special since it was my first ever bout vs Tyrant, top MK of the West Coast back from when I visited SoCal for E3 2011. It demonstrates my experience in the MK matchup, as well as the patience necessary to deal with an MK who is trying to time you out."

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Awesome interview. Will is always such an inspiration for us DK players (and I hope for other players too!) If anything, Will really is the best vs MK. Sometimes I forget how amazing he is at that match-up. Love seeing this kinda stuff.

Top Bottom