• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZeRo wins Smash for Wii U at The Big House 5

TSM ZeRo kept his Smash for Wii U win streak alive at The Big House 5 this weekend in Michigan. Prior to the event, ZeRo (view rankings) appeared hesitant about entering the largest fall major and many wondered if a break was on the horizon. Despite this, ZeRo found the motivation to push through and compete - and viewers were treated to some of the best Smash Wii U gameplay to date with over 50,000 concurrent viewers tuning into the finals.

ZeRO Keeps his win streak alive at The Big House 5!

The drama started for ZeRo on Saturday when he was knocked into the losers bracket by Seagull Joe (view rankings) in the second round of phase 2 pools. Channeling his inner-Mango, ZeRo went on a tear through MVD, Static Manny, Wizzrobe, Ally, PG ESAM, Zenyou, Rayquaza, Anti, #3 ranked Dabuz, and finally reset the bracket and took home the championship against rival #2 ranked Nairo (view rankings) in a 3-0, 3-2 finish.

Check out the top 32 results and the match with Seagull below!

The Big House 5 1v1 Top 32
512 Entrants - $6,120 Prize Pool (includes $1,000 Compendium Bonus)
View Bracket

1. TSM @ChileZeRo - Sheik - $2,448
2. Liquid @Nairo - Zero Suit Samus - $1,224
3. iQHQ @Dabuz - Rosalina & Luma - $918
4. Anti - Sheik, Mario, Luigi, Wii Fit Trainer - $612
5. iQHQ Vinnie - Sheik - $306
5. @Rayquaza07 - Rosalina & Luma, Sheik - $306
7. Zenyou - Mario - $153
7. Abadango - Meta Knight, Pac-Man, Rosalina & Luma - $153
9. Seagull Joe - Sonic
9. PG ESAM - Pikachu
9. Trela - Ryu
9. 6WX - Sonic & Ryu
13. Megafox - Fox
13. Ally - Mario
13. Fatality - Captain Falcom
13. Karna - Sheik
17. San - Ike
17. Ryuga - Ike
17. Ksev - Fox
17. Wizzrobe - Sheik
17. Ryo - Ike
17. Shel - Luigi
17. Demitus - Captain Falcon
17. Zinoto - Diddy Kong
25. StaticManny - Sonic, Roy
25. Slither2Hunger - Meta Knight
25. PinkFresh - Pit
25. LOE1 - Luigi
25. Poke - Luigi
25. ***** - Toon Link
25. Average Joe - Donkey Kong
25. XeroXen - Mario

The Big House 5 2v2 Results
115 Teams of 2 - $2,300 Prize Pool
View Bracket

1. Nairo & ZeR0 - $517.50 each
2. Abadango & Anti - $230 each
3. Ryuga & Rayquaza - $172.50 each
4. ESAM & MVD - $115 each
5. StaticManny & Ryo - $57.50 each
5. Ksev & ***** - $57.50 each
7. Dabuz & Trela
7. Wizzrobe & Mr. E

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Insane tournament! Insane losers bracket run! I wanted to see the Zero vs Seagull Joe rematch, but I feel like Zero would have won today (but who knows?). Nonetheless... again, crazy good tournament. I was on the edge of my couch so many times and my heart skipped so many beats. I love this game.

I'm very happy for him and Nairo. They looked like they had such a good time in that grand finals. ^^

I'm happy for ZeRo
I really am, it takes a lot to be this skilled at Smash
But
I'm still mad at him for running away until Sudden Death in the Smash Invitational
YOU WON'T BE FORGIVEN, @ChileZeRo
NEVER :drshrug:

Big House 5 had the best loser's run that Sm4sh has ever had. ZeRo came close to having his streak broken by the likes of people such as Anti, Rayquaza, and even Nairo ,who has gotten closer than ever before to defeating him. But in the end, he came out on top and beat out so many other top players at the same time.

Until ZeRo finally loses a tournament, this event will be the best Sm4sh tournament of all time to me!

Last edited:
Nairo would have won if he didn't start messing around with Robin and MK.

Is this stuff secretly rigged, like seriously, why would someone do that?

Nairo would have won if he didn't start messing around with Robin and MK.

Is this stuff secretly rigged, like seriously, why would someone do that?
He was calming himself down, he was way too tense.
It certainly is a drastic way to do it, but hey, it ended up giving them a fair fight and an incredible one at that.

You know I didn't think that Nairo was actually Santa. Because that man definitely gift wrapped that reset to ZeRo. Still it was a thrill to watch, but Nairo definitely shouldn't have been messing around with Robin and Meta Knight.

Last edited:
Sad to see no representation of Shulk or Robin in the top 32. I guess I'll take the Ike rep as a consolation prize.
I still remember seeing some vids of ZeRo playing Shulk..
I agree that Nairo should have released his inner tactician and played Robin. Darn it, does the Arcthunder buff and the DThrow change mean nothing to you?

Also, message from Grammar Nazi: The article states that Fatality was playing Captain Falcom.

Well, Anti started fishing for smashes, and that cost him. Almost felt like he was sleeping on him.
And Nairo...
JUST NAIRO...

Give credit where it is due
Meh. It's just that Seagull didn't do anything spectacular. Plus Zero said he was off his game. The whole match was basically Zero just getting hit by spin-dash into up-air, and for some reason people think that's hype.

Their set is almost (if not more) over hyped than Ally vs. Mr. R at Paragon.

He was calming himself down, he was way too tense.
It certainly is a drastic way to do it, but hey, it ended up giving them a fair fight and an incredible one at that.
I didn't watch the tournament fully admittedly, so I don't know the full story. What did he need calming down over?

Really, it was more Robin that got me though. Meta Knight is at least a decent pick against top tiers like Sheik and Rosalina. Robin just isn't, even for someone as good as Nairo. It flat out felt like throwing the match.

So I see in the list of top 32 above:

25. ***** - Toon Link

In the tournament, his name wasn't censored. Boy, was the chat room having a field day with that one. How was he allowed to choose that name?

Anyway, one of my favorite matches today was definitely Anti vs. Zero. His Mario was so good and he came so close to beating Zero!

Was it just me or did it look like Dabuz wasn't giving it his all against Zero?

Meh. It's just that Seagull didn't do anything spectacular. Plus Zero said he was off his game. The whole match was basically Zero just getting hit by spin-dash into up-air, and for some reason people think that's hype.

I think it was less about the set being hype, but the fact that ZeRo lost to him 2-0 when a lot of people never expected him to win against ZeRo. Also I have to disagree with you about Ally vs Mr. R I though that set was pretty hype seeing Mr.R switching off of Sheik and doing better with Ryu.

Zero always says he is off his game. Like today. I get what you're saying though Seagull didn't do anything crazy. Even so props to him for winning

Really glad ZeRo won. I knew when he lost Seagull, he wasn't playing well. No offense to Seagull at all, he played very well, but ZeRo I think could have beaten him if he wasn't having personal troubles.

I don't see why everyones pissed at Nairo. He was trying stuff and nearly beat ZeRo! That's a win in my book. I think Nairo has a chance to become our next Sm4sh god.

As for Dabuz, Anti, Rayquaza and Vinnie, they all did great too and should give themselves a pat on the back.

Really glad ZeRo won. I knew when he lost Seagull, he wasn't playing well. No offense to Seagull at all, he played very well, but ZeRo I think could have beaten him if he wasn't having personal troubles.

I don't see why everyones pissed at Nairo. He was trying stuff and nearly beat ZeRo! That's a win in my book. I think Nairo has a chance to become our next Sm4sh god.

As for Dabuz, Anti, Rayquaza and Vinnie, they all did great too and should give themselves a pat on the back.
The reason we are mad is because looking at how Nairo was playing when he was using ZSS he would have had a much greater chance of winning if he didn't throw the first set.

i literally, truly honestly can't get interested in big name smash4 tournaments anymore because I already know who the winner is going to be.

Really zero needs to be banned from tournaments; he's too OP'd

i literally, truly honestly can't get interested in big name smash4 tournaments anymore because I already know who the winner is going to be.

Really zero needs to be banned from tournaments; he's too OP'd
Who watches tournaments just to see who wins?

Zero has 4 letters in name. Shiek has 5 letters in his name. Sm4sh has been out for a year now. Illuminati has 10 letters. 4+5+1=10! Zero mains diddy who is red and has 5 letters on his name just like satan.

I'm happy for ZeRo
I really am, it takes a lot to be this skilled at Smash
But
I'm still mad at him for running away until Sudden Death in the Smash Invitational
YOU WON'T BE FORGIVEN, @ChileZeRo
NEVER :drshrug:
Did he break some rule or something?
The blame falls on Nintendo for blowing up with a bad ruleset like that, now enough with that "HURR DURR BUT THE INVITATIONAL" already....

P A Y S E A G U L L
I can't remember which one but a recent major literally added a $500 bonus for defeating ZeRo or something like that.
Also, "The Truth...Maybe | Why Smash Will Never Be A Major Esport" recently featured here, they said that they need to increase the number of people at majors that get paid. And I fully agree with them.

I was really hoping to see the streak end today but props to ZeRo for going through it the hard way through losers bracket and overcoming whatever personal issues he had and end up winning. While also putting on a good show. Props.

I didn't watch the tournament fully admittedly, so I don't know the full story. What did he need calming down over?

Really, it was more Robin that got me though. Meta Knight is at least a decent pick against top tiers like Sheik and Rosalina. Robin just isn't, even for someone as good as Nairo. It flat out felt like throwing the match.
He, in essence, was throwing away the match to calm down.
He was tense because he was going against a ZeRo that just tore through every opponent in the Loser's Bracket. And it's ZeRo.
He likely played Robin to have fun, to help him relax. And hell, it worked.

He, in essence, was throwing away the match to calm down.
He was tense because he was going against a ZeRo that just tore through every opponent in the Loser's Bracket. And it's ZeRo.
He likely played Robin to have fun, to help him relax. And hell, it worked.
Even if that's true, you don't calm down by giving your opponents an advantage. You come into the set already mentally prepared. He should have played his best for 2 sets with his best character against zero and he didn't. He didn't give himself the best chance to win. If he had thrown set 1 after going down 0-2 as to not give zero more information then I'd had somewhat understood. But he played robin in game 2 when the set was clearly still winnable. Robin who is his secondary, and has horrible matchup with sheik. He bottom line didn't give himself the best chance he could have to win and that's a shame. But then again, he's a smash 4 god and I'm only a decent tourney smash player so what do I know? Just giving my thoughts on what I saw.

Last edited:
Even if that's true, you don't calm down by giving your opponents an advantage. You come into the set already mentally prepared. He should have played his best for 2 sets with his best character against zero and he didn't. He didn't give himself the best chance to win. If he had thrown set 1 after going down 0-2 as to not give zero more information then I'd had somewhat understood. But he played robin in game 2 when the set was clearly still winnable. Robin who is his secondary, and has horrible matchup with sheik. He bottom line didn't give himself the best chance he could have to win and that's a shame. But then again, he's a smash 4 god and I'm only a decent tourney smash player so what do I know? Just giving my thoughts on what I saw.
This is totally logical and maybe works for you, that's good that you know you can do that and will find that the most worth it.
In a case like Nairo's, and I'd think the same for myself, it would take a lot more to relax in that much of a stressful situation. In the end, they both had fun while simultaneously giving great games in the second set. I'd like to think of it as him purposefully losing the first set so he could do his best in the second.
At least, that's how I interpreted it.

ZeRo once again has another predictable win...
So guys, this person...
Eh, you know what, eh...
He's just going to ruin Smash Wii U's competitive scene with Sheik.
Not like anyone cares anymore.
ZeRo winning with Sheik...
What a damn surprise.

(I'm not even trolling here, this is really my immediate reaction to this. He wins all the time, and it's just boring to watch a tournament with HIM in it now, since all he does is win. Any tournament with HIM in it will result in HIM winning, pretty much.)

Top Bottom