• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZeRo to compete in Smash Ultimate under new sponsor

ZeRo_To_Compete.jpg

Image credit: Tempo Storm

Gonzalo “ZeRo” Barrios, well known Smash Wii U competitor, announced that with the release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, he’ll be back to competing under a new sponsor: Tempo Storm, as tweeted here:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Prior to this, he had been a member of Team SoloMid since August of 2015. Prior to this announcement, rumors had been circulating that ZeRo was leaving TSM for another team, and the team’s branding had been featured less prominently on his stream and Youtube content.

To celebrate, he is now conducting an AMA here and he’s doing a giveaway with Tembo Storm with two Nintendo Switches as the grand prize. His introduction video to Tempo Storm can be found here,

ZeRo's Smash Bros guides and gameplay can be found on his YouTube and Twitch channels.

Author's Note: What do you think? Excited for ZeRo competing with Ultimate? Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

Why is is this such a big deal? he is just a sm4sh player coming to ultimate.
It's news because he announced a hiatus from competitive Smash 10 months ago after one of the most successful careers in all of competitive eSports. Announcing his return under a new sponsor for the game's sequel is a huge deal.

Why is is this such a big deal? he is just a smash 4 player coming to ultimate.
He's not just a Smash 4 player. He's THE best Smash 4 player, or at the very least was the best Smash 4 player. The hype around this is well justified because today on Twitch, he gained over 700 subs in around an hour after his announcement. It's really exciting to see a prominent player in the Smash scene come back to it in an extremely anticipated game.

Cool, but never cared for Smash 4 honestly. Despised it tbqh. I wish him luck in it, and a successful career, but I prefer to see someone from one of the faster paced games try out Ultimate instead. Hopefully it's good for Armada.

Cool, but never cared for Smash 4 honestly. Despised it tbqh.
At least smash 4 had game modes, Ultimate ended up being pretty pathetic in that regard, missing pretty much every essential single player mode for this to truly be the ‘ultimate’ smash game. Might be Ultimate competitively, but certainly not casually.

Last edited:
At least smash 4 had game modes, Ultimate ended up being pretty pathetic in that regard, missing pretty much every essential single player mode for this to truly be the ‘ultimate’ smash game. Might be Ultimate competitively, but certainly not casually.
Honestly with how the game is in terms of gameplay, as of what we know now, I don't think it holds much merit in calling it "ultimate" competitively. I'd argue 64 is much better than it with the information we have now.

They trimmed the fat, useless content was cast aside in favor of making the game better to play overall.

Are you forgetting about story mode? And the thousands of Spirits? And that this smash game had the second shortest development cycle? You can't expect Sakurai to appeal to each individual's wants, he's human too. Be grateful for what we already have: The Ultimate Smash

Like what single player modes is it missing? It has a story mode plus most of Sm4sh's modes. It probably doesn't have crazy orders but I never liked those anyway.

ZeRo seems like a person worth associating with. I don't know him personally, so I can't say I like him on that level, although he seems likable. While I enjoyed ZeRo's YouTube uploads of his streams, and while I enjoyed the Super Smash Bros. 4 content, I have a bit of criticism for him. He may have retired professionally, but he didn't retire competitively. While breaking away from the professional scene may have helped with a possible burnout, ZeRo doesn't seem to have done what he said he would.

ZeRo said he would try to improve his health. I don't know the food he consumed or if he bothered being active like he said he would. This makes his announcement to returning to the professional scene rather underwhelming. I understand that this is ZeRo's choice, but I think that if you're going to announce your plans post-professionalism, you should stick to it. Otherwise, it just seems like one of those posts someone would make on a message board (or video) just to generate views, only then to not follow through.

Smash 4's game modes were awful when compared to Melee's and Brawl's. Ultimate has actually fixed Classic Mode, still has All-Star Mode, Spirits Mode (which is basically event matches), still has Multi-Man Smash, and has World of Light, which is basically Subspace without the platforming sections. Not to mention adding Smashdown and Squad Strike. Idk what you're talking about.

Smash 4's game modes were awful when compared to Melee's and Brawl's. Ultimate has actually fixed Classic Mode, still has All-Star Mode, Spirits Mode (which is basically event matches), still has Multi-Man Smash, and has World of Light, which is basically Subspace without the platforming sections. Not to mention adding Smashdown and Squad Strike. Idk what you're talking about.
First off, all star looks like **** because it is no longer multiple matches, and instead looks like just a reskinned endless smash. Second, spirits are quite literally custom parts but instead they are characters so you’re tricked into being satisfied by collecting them. And from what i could see out of that direct, mob smash doesn’t seem to have all the things that made it fun, like 3 and 15 minute melee. Also who could possibly call this the ultimate smash if it doesn’t have any form of target smash, and no trophies? Now there is no purpose to the vault, and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only person who was disappointed by that. I’m just saying, in terms of SINGLE PLAYER content, this game sucks. Sure, the amount of options for vs matches is pretty much endless, and honestly quite cool, but without stadium modes, this really just doesn’t feel like smash anymore.

Last edited:
First off, all star looks like **** because it is no longer multiple matches, and instead looks like just a reskinned endless smash. Second, spirits are quite literally custom parts but instead they are characters so you’re tricked into being satisfied by collecting them. And from what i could see out of that direct, mob smash doesn’t seem to have all the things that made it fun, like 3 and 15 minute melee. Also who could possibly call this the ultimate smash if it doesn’t have any form of target smash, and no trophies? Now there is no purpose to the vault, and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only person who was disappointed by that. I’m just saying, in terms of SINGLE PLAYER content, this game sucks. Sure, the amount of options for vs matches is pretty much endless, and honestly quite cool, but without stadium modes, this really just doesn’t feel like smash anymore.
I guess you missed the part where Classic Mode and Adventure Mode were a thing. That's ok, some people miss information that gets tossed in their face. No idea what symptom causes that though. I kid of course, it's called selective reading.
And Target Smash, other stadium features and trophies aren't 'essential' modes, they are side features. Not arguing that removing them wasn't disappointing but they aren't the core of a single player experience like Classic and Adventure are.

Last edited:
Anyone know why he might want to pick Tempo over staying with TSM?

Do they pay better or something? Or have better benefits? Or scheduling or something else? Anyone in the business know what the main differences are?

But let's be honest, after the first few weeks, barely anyone plays the Single Player content once they've unlocked everything. You get all the stages, characters and trophies, then never really touch it again.

The Vs modes on the other hand, are the game's long term life blood. It absolutely makes sense for them to focus on an expansive versus mode with tons of diversity and replayability over Single Player modes that most won't play very much long term.

I guess you missed the part where Classic Mode and Adventure Mode were a thing. That's ok, some people miss information that gets tossed in their face. No idea what symptom causes that though. I kid of course, it's called selective reading.
I didn’t miss those modes. I just happened to have something called ‘expectations’. I was hoping for more and I got less, it’s not ‘selective reading’, it’s just called being hard to please, and y’all know what? I’m actually pretty good with this game outside of single player content. I just hope that actually playing the game will make me change my mind.

And Target Smash, other stadium features and trophies aren't 'essential' modes, they are side features. Not arguing that removing them wasn't disappointing but they aren't the core of a single player experience like Classic and Adventure are.
People seem to forget how bad Smash 4's classic mode was.

D
Finally something that isn't a rumor, or DLC speculation I mean not on here but other places cover that stuff which is great, but nice to hear news about a top player. Nice change of pace.

All the best to ZeRo.

I wanna see him truly prove himself by using one of the biggest jokes: Pichu. (I say that but but I’m totally gonna main the **** out of him.)

Last edited:
D
A surprise to no-one. I just hope he won't dominate the entire competitive community again, because early Smash 4 got real boring to watch when you knew who was going to win.

Not much of a surprise, but good to see him back. He's a great player. Hopefully people will stop hating on the guy, just because he' is good.

I don't really know why everyone's so grim about the idea. To be completely honest I'm glad he's coming out. If this game has any chance of succeeding, it needs good players. Good players bring the new players and after that last direct, Ultimate will need the publicity. Not only that, but having good players gives a reason for other players to come and join the fight. Many join Melee because, simply put, there's quite a lot of competition out there. If we have little to no competition then why would we care about Ultimate? Like, at all? At that point it just becomes about as popular as the 64 or Brawl scene, being alright but nothing really tangible.

Top Bottom