• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda vs Falco thoughts/guide

Wendy's 4 for 4

Smash Rookie
INTRO:

What's up big fellas my tags Pizza and I've been playing Zelda for like 5 years and kinda to motivate myself to improve more i think I'm gonna be doing some matchup thoughts/guides.

Why should you trust what I say:
Well 1stnoff I'd like these to moreso be discussion than a like "factual" guide. But I do have a fairly decent understanding of Zelda and get alright results at majors for a Zelda tho I'd like to improve em.

FALCO:

So to get started I think this is probably one of Zeldas best top top tier matchups though by no means does she win lol. This is also the matchup I think I'm the best at so yeah.

Dealing with Lasers:

The absolute most important thing in this matchup for Zelda is power shields and moving out of them. ESPECIALLY moving out of them. Falco gives Zelda a approach option everytime they laser and Zelda needs approach options so bad. Basically any mid range or close laser you need to be able to dash forward power shield and then jump oos and fair. This is actually straight busted. Make sure u drift the fair back in case they do get shield up.

So the other "type" of lasers you have to deal with is just a falco laser camping. Zelda is actually blessed in this department and can handle falco laser camping better than even some high tiers. Neutral b is just so good vs Falco laser camping. U Wana make sure they are at least mid range or farther away but just spamming neutral b honestly beats it. Even if they try n approach while ur stuck in it the lasers they shot give u defense and falcos run speed is slow.

Dealing with Falcos approaches:

So you have to understand what the falco you are playing likes to do n counter that, there is no catch all but I'll go over what I tend to do.

If a falco ever crosses u up drift back bair them until they prove they can punish it. They technically with a shallow cross can bair ur bair but until they show they know this always bair n fair crossups.

When it comes to falco when he is pressuring ur shield ur 2 options are buffer roll and upsmash oos. I normally always upsmash until they prove they can sdi it and punish it. Remember that even if they sdi it but they don't hit u for it that's a win for u cause the pressure ended.

Approaching lasers can be beaten by the power shield kick or if u know it will be a really close laser a neutral b.

I'm gonna end this here for now cause I have class but I will add to it to focus on Zelda's punish and edge guards later :^)

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff. The only things that stood out to me as questionable are:

In some close situations you recommend using fair or bair. I feel like often this can be super easily stuffed right? Buffer roll might just be preferable to deal with cross ups.

Neutral b to beat laser camping seems super gimmicky to me. If you play a good falco, they'll shoot a low laser, jump over the reflected laser, and punish neutral B.

Good stuff though. Look forward to hearing more.

Wendy's 4 for 4

Smash Rookie
Good stuff. The only things that stood out to me as questionable are:

In some close situations you recommend using fair or bair. I feel like often this can be super easily stuffed right? Buffer roll might just be preferable to deal with cross ups.

Neutral b to beat laser camping seems super gimmicky to me. If you play a good falco, they'll shoot a low laser, jump over the reflected laser, and punish neutral B.

Good stuff though. Look forward to hearing more.
So when it comes to crossups there is like a range where all falco can do to beat a kick oos is to shield it and then bair. That is the area i recommend kicking oos. if they crossup but are still close enough to shine then u would either roll or upsmash.

And when it comes to neutral be I really only meant to spam it when a falco is like straight up laser camping. Once someone shows they will approach with lasers then u have to mix in power shields. basically if someone is like more than mid screen away neutral b is pretty safe so spam.

Top Bottom